JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Against the Giants
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 4th Edition
    Against the Giants
    Master Greytalker

Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:13 pm  
    Against the Giants

I haven't had a chance to review the 4e Steading of the Hill Giant Chief yet but reviews on the WotC forums seem to be quite positive. I hope they decide to convert the whole GDQ series.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:18 pm  

That's the idea. Chris Perkins plans on doing all 3 plus putting in an original one with stone giants; Warrens of the Stone Giant Thane, to even out the level progression. You can read about it here - http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/drdd/20111214. I've glanced over Steading and it looks pretty solid to me so far.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:42 am  

Played the Steading this week - took 4 days or constant gaming but it was awesome fun.
    GreySage

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:45 pm  

PaulN6 wrote:
    Played the Steading this week - took 4 days or constant gaming but it was awesome fun.

That's the way I remember it in High School. Ah, the good ol' carefree days. Smile

SirXaris
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:11 am  

I'm not proud of the fact that we massacred Nosnra's giant children in their beds when we might have pulled it off with a skill challenge but we were so paranoid that we could be overwhelmed in 4e that we wanted to kill the villains in bite-size chunks.

Haven't had a debate about killing younglings for over a decade! Awesome.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:39 am  

PaulN6 wrote:
    I'm not proud of the fact that we massacred Nosnra's giant children in their beds when we might have pulled it off with a skill challenge but we were so paranoid that we could be overwhelmed in 4e that we wanted to kill the villains in bite-size chunks.

Haven't had a debate about killing younglings for over a decade! Awesome.

...Hmmm...

They might be children, but they are still giants (IIRC, in the original, they were the equivalent of ogres). They could kill most people with a good punch. That's makes them a good kill.

I thought that the idea of the "return" series was that baddies had repopulated the "old" sites and they had to be cleared out gain. But IIRC, Nosnra was the name of the original Hill Giant chief. Waht gives? Is this a new group, or just the old AD&D 1 adventure converted to D&D 4? I could do that myself (I do D&D 3.5, but same principle). Confused
    Master Greytalker

Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:19 pm  

There is some new stuff including a stone giant module that was quite fun - I really did feel guilty about killing them but you will be pleased to hear that we sneaked through the children's bed chamber this time...

Mostly it is just a reasonable conversion of the old mod but with ideas on how you might use skill challenges in place of wanton slaughter.

NOT.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:03 am  

smillan_31 wrote:
    That's the idea. Chris Perkins plans on doing all 3 plus putting in an original one with stone giants; Warrens of the Stone Giant Thane, to even out the level progression. You can read about it here - http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/drdd/20111214. I've glanced over Steading and it looks pretty solid to me so far.

I found the background for it:

Quote:
    »

Warrens of the Stone Giant Thane

Background

Giants have been raiding the civilized lands in large bands, visiting death and destruction upon villages, towns, and farmlands. Entire militias have been conquered, entire crops wiped out. These marauding bands consist of mixed groups of hill giants, stone giants, frost giants, and fire giants, as well as ogres and other monsters allied with the giants.

Determined to repel the invaders, local lords have begun hiring brave adventurers. The first few groups didn’t fare well. Some were crushed beneath the boulders and jackboots of rampaging giants, and others simply never returned from the wilderness. However, a new band of adventurers has assembled to punish the destructive giants and banish them from the civilized lands.

Of all the giant lords, Thane Arnak of the stone giants seems the least likely to rally behind the banner of Snurre, king of the fire giants. Until recently, the stone giant thane maintained a steady truce with neighboring clans of dwarves, and stone giants rarely ventured far from their warrens in the craggy foothills of the Crystalmist Mountains. But something has changed. Stone giants have emerged from Howling Crag to join the rampaging hordes, providing needed artillery to Snurre’s growing army.

Dwarves are convinced that Arnak still commands the giants of Howling Crag, but they fear that a dark influence has persuaded the thane to act against his better nature. Thane Arnak has indeed gone mad under the influence of an artifact known as the Stone of Madness, which the giants recently unearthed.

If the truth can be revealed and the thane cured, perhaps the alliance between the stone giants and the other giant lords can be sundered. If the alliance cannot be broken, the only recourse is to conquer the
    Howling Crag and slay Arnak.

Arnak’s sister, Belastraya, serves as the castellan of the stronghold and commands its defense. Her brother’s madness serves her ambitions, so she has done nothing to rid Arnak of his malady. Instead, she has cultivated promising relationships with the other giant lords and pledged her full support.

«

Seems somewhat interesting.

How did it play?

Was it well written?

Did it fit smoothly with the rest or did it feel forced?

Very curious to know,

- Ð
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: