JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Tarth Moorda
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Tarth Moorda
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:09 am  
    Tarth Moorda

I looked but I cannot find the exact location of Tarth Moorda. It states in the web enhancement for Complete Arcane: "On a high crag in the arid hills of the Abbor-Alz stands the ancient fortress known as Tarth Moorda, which once housed the garrisons that defended Urnst against gnoll and nomad raids from the Bright Desert" and "Tarth Moorda is situated on a high peak on the edge of the Duchy of Urnst, overlooking the Bright Desert" but it does not proved the precise location via a map. Does such information exist? and if not where would be the best location to place Tarth Moorda on Annas map? I apologize if there is another thread in regards to this topic.
    GreySage

Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:29 pm  

I would put it in one of the places I marked with a white circle, approximately.

Master Greytalker

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:06 pm  

Good catch rasgon.

Personally; I would use the right hand location offered. As the possiblity of a avenue to urnst exists hence the castle. However, the left hand location seems merely buried within the interior.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:30 pm  
    Tarth Moorda's whereabouts.

As far as I know, there's not a whole lot out there. I was under the impression that since Tarth Moorda is the training grounds of the Warmage class (the Firehawks), it was created for Complete Arcane. I am not aware of any other material for it.

Although, the book itself (in the very brief section on TM) refers one of the higher ups being concerned/interested in the comings/goings/doings of Rary, so that gives a only a vague impression of the locale of TM.

And now that I look back at the nook, it seems the web enhancement includes precisely all of the same info that the book has.
    SO - wow, yeah.
    I guess there's really only about one hex that it would reasonably go in, considering it's history and purpose. But, still ... that covers, what - a 675 to 705 sq.mi area or so? I know that's a lot of variance, but, I would personally just go with the central hex on the border between Urnst and the Bright Desert. It couldn't be more than about 20 miles off, and that's fairly accurate. Although, I would say that there's not a whole lot of sense in stressing over it too much, since there's not likely any canon.

I think that Rasgon hit this one pretty much on the same head of the nail tha tI was looking at. It does say "on a high peak", and I think that lends itself more to the position he's depicted with the lefthand white dot ... though, there is more of a feel of "edge of the Duchy" if it's the one on the right. For me, I think that it would depend on which one would be more described geographically as a "peak". I think that it is apparent that Rasgon picked those two spots because they appear to be just that - peaks.

So ... obviously, it comes down to your choice. But, thanks for reminding me about these guys ... I've been wanting to place these guys for my campaign for quite a while now (basically since CA came out).
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    GreySage

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:55 pm  

I picked those spots because they looked like peaks, but also because they looked like they were near passes that gnolls and nomads could use to cross the Abbor-Alz. The left-hand one is in the interior of the range, but there's a path that can be taken past it to get into the Duchy.

Most of the obvious passes that Anna has marked roads or trails through are already guarded by fortresses of one kind or another, but those two places looked like reasonably vulnerable places where a fortress might be of use. There are other possibilities, somewhere between those two places, probably, but I thought those were spots that might make sense.

I think I like the right-hand one better, too.

Oh, and as far as I know Tarth Moorda was first introduced to the world in Complete Arcane. It isn't mentioned in its predecessor book, Tome and Blood.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:51 pm  
    chosing the peaks

I couldn't agree more. This seems like a prime place for a fortress of para-military people to be. Since there's not another fortress there, it seems like an order of War Mages would fill a strong niche.

Just for sake of agreement, I really like the look of the out-of-the-way mark on the right side. The Firehawks are known to have to live isolated in the hot, arid climate near the desert, and this location emphasizes that more, I think. It's got more of a "border-fort" feel to it.

And, as Rasgon said above, Tarth Moorda didn't exist before Complete Adventurer. I think that's largely because the warmage class scarcely existed before that book. Technically, it was in the Miniatures Handbook before that, but, that was a book that saw little print, and the vast majority of 3rd Edition players didn't even know that it had RPG stats, feats, classes, and Prestige Classes in it. So, it seems fairly clear that they were introducing (a retconned) place for warmages, since the "core" world for 3rd Edition was Greyhawk. I, for one, am glad they did.

The Warmage reminds me somewhat of the male channelers (Asha'man) in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I think that they are very, very interesting, and I think that Warmages and Tarth Moorda are a perfect way of handling new continuity when being added to the game. It's put in, nice and simply, but in a way that makes sense for the setting. It's not shoe-horned in, and it's not forced. It's a great story, and a great location for them. ... I imagine that men from all over come to Tarth Moorda to study the arcane arts there.

Shocked Wait a sec ... now that I think about it, I am absolutely shocked that Anna didn't already have Tarth Moorda on her map! Wow. That's kind of freaky.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: