Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Mapping Beyond the Flanaess - Sea of the Dragon King
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Mapping Beyond the Flanaess - Sea of the Dragon King
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:12 am  
    Mapping Beyond the Flanaess - Sea of the Dragon King

Thought folks here might be interested in my latest GH-related project, since it's apropos to the current discussions about the lands beyond the Flanaess:

http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/2012/03/beyond-flanaess-sea-of-dragon-king.html

Joe / Greyhawk Grognard

PS: Also check out my Adventures Dark and Deep Kickstarter campaign while you're there!
    Paladin

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:58 pm  

Very Impressive Thulcondar.
    I thought I was looking at a lost Darleneian map.
    And embiggen??? LOL is that an upcoming spell of the arcane?
    GreySage

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:14 pm  

That's a very nice map, Thulcondar! Thanks for sharing it. Smile

SirXaris
    Master Greytalker

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:43 pm  

Like it Smile

One small quibble - Ryuujin rather then Nippon.

I hope you continue around the tail. I have access to the OJ continental map which I use to inspire the gazetteers.
    GreySage

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:03 pm  

That looks really good.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:31 pm  

Looks great! Cool I'll have to agree with Crag about the name "Nippon" though. I am just not a fan of real world cut-n-paste, especially when it is very obvious. Others probably don't really care all that much though.

Is that the largest version of the map that you have, or do you have a much larger version where the city names are more legible?

Also, your blog is among the best out there, Joe. Keep up the good work! Cool

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:57 pm  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:

And embiggen??? LOL is that an upcoming spell of the arcane?

It's a perfectly cromulent word. ;)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:18 pm  

Beautiful map, Joe!
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:46 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Looks great! Cool I'll have to agree with Crag about the name "Nippon" though. I am just not a fan of real world cut-n-paste, especially when it is very obvious. Others probably don't really care all that much though.

Is that the largest version of the map that you have, or do you have a much larger version where the city names are more legible?

Also, your blog is among the best out there, Joe. Keep up the good work! Cool

I confess I'm not wedded to the name Nippon, but I definitely don't like Ryuujin, which ends up making the names of the seas on either side of the island redundant. Yamato, or some variant thereof (Yemeta, Yometa, etc.) might work.

EDIT: I just found the perfect term for the country. What is it? You'll just have to wait for the next map. ;-)

I do indeed have a copy that can be printed out at Darlene-style size. I'm not really sure why the one on the blog isn't the same size as the one I uploaded. It is in .png format; have you tried downloading it and then viewing it directly from your hard drive? It should scale up fine, to a point.

Many thanks for the kind words about the blog. And yes, to crag, the next map is the one immediately to the west of this one, which will encompass the entirety of the peninsula. But it's not going to resemble the one in the latest OJ in anything but the shape of the geography...

Joe / Greyhawk Grognard
    http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:55 pm  

The downloaded map is 1025 x 1600 pixels (3.05 MB), but the city names are still somewhat small. Is your Darlene-scaled version of the map larger than that? When I increase the view to 200%, then things look to be about the proper scale, though the text then becomes blurry.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:43 am  

Yeah, my version is 2103x3283, and the city names are crisp and clear at what seems like the same scale as the Darlene map. I'll post that full-scale thing as a download on my website in the next couple of days. I thought the full-sized version would get uploaded when I posted it to blogspot.com!

Joe / GG
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:12 pm  

Even if you don't like the Ryuujin name, could we perhaps get an alternate version with that name?

Pretty please with sugar on top? Happy Wink Laughing
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:24 pm  

It is beautiful, Joe. Alas, I hate the name Nippon as well, unfortunately - just too close to the real world.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:56 pm  

Agreed, warlock-- when I'm done with the next map over to the west, covering the rest of the Dominion, Zindia, and southeastern Suhfang, I'm planning on posting a revision of this map with the new name. (Sorry, BB4E, but it's not going to be Ryuujin).

The new map should be done in a day or three, btw.

Joe / GG
    http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: