ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - "Bane of the Shadowborn" in the Great Kingdom
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    "Bane of the Shadowborn" in the Great Kingdom
    Adept Greytalker

Tue May 29, 2012 7:09 am  
    "Bane of the Shadowborn" in the Great Kingdom

Hi all,

So, some time this year, I want to run the old "Bane of the Shadowborn" adventure from... Letmesee... Dungeon #31.

While it's a Ravenloft adventure, the accompanying novel is set in a "Great Kingdom". Not Greyhawk's, but a generic one.

...And I want to set it in Greyhawk. Obviously, I have some ideas (essentially, like the good German that I am, to set it in or around Innspa), but I was wondering if anybody here had some input for me, too! :)

Oh, personally, of course, I like the GK just as described in "Ivid the Undying", and so, preferrably, I'd set the adventure in 585 CY, not later.
    Smile

Thanks a lot,

Rafe

Tue May 29, 2012 9:20 am  

I don't think it would work to set it in Greyhawk, really, and would actually create issues for the adventure as written -- it would be far too easy to escape, for one. There really aren't any parallels between Greyhawk's Great Kingdom and the one in that adventure's background besides the name (for one, the Great Kingdom of that adventure has a state religion centered around the Celtic sun god Belenus)

If you don't want to use the Ravenloft setting as a whole, just set up Shadowborn Manor as some sort of extra-dimensional prison created by the gods to trap Ebonbane.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu May 31, 2012 4:20 am  

Thank you! :) I see that, but could one not try to hammer that in?

For example, the state religion - what about making Belenus an aspect of Hextor? Smile Would fit into the ItU continuity...

Thu May 31, 2012 12:47 pm  

Erm, not really sure how a NG sun deity could be an aspect of a LE war deity Confused

I suppose if you really wanted to, the most fitting Greyhawk replacement would be the Flan sun god Pelor, who the Oeridians call "Sol."
    Master Greytalker

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:14 am  

I've not read the novel, but after digging out and reading the adventure, Kateri Shadowborn screams paladin of Mayaheine to me. What if, rather than the heavy-handed "distant ancestor" trope, the Shadowborn estate were originally located on Mayaheine's home world? That would also tie in nicely with the Pelor/Sol angle.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: