Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The terror of the Frutzi people...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    The terror of the Frutzi people...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:27 pm  
    The terror of the Frutzi people...

I came up with this to include in my D&D 3.5 update for the Against The Giants module.

I was thrilled with how it not only met but exceeded my expectations.

I hope you enjoy it!

Rending Yeti
    (The) Abominable Snow-slasher

{Multiheaded Cryo-Girallon = Savage Species, p.125 & MM I, p. 126-127}

Large Magical Beast (Cold)

Hit Dice: 9d10+33 (67 hp)
    Initiative: +7
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), climb 40 ft.
    Armor Class: 17 (–1 size, +3 Dex, +1 due to extra head, +4 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 16
    Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+17
    Attack: Claw +12 melee (1d4+6)
    Full Attack: 4 claws +12 melee (1d4+6) and 2 bite +12 melee
    (1d8+3)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Rend 2d4+12, Breath Weapon
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 90 ft., immunity to cold, low-light vision, scent, vulnerability to fire
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 22, Dex 17, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7
    Skills: Climb +14, Listen +2, Move Silently +8, Search +2, Spot +8
    Feats: Iron Will, Toughness (2), Improved Multiattack, Improved Initiative, Combat Reflexes
    Environment: Cold mountains or Cold forests
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 9
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 8–10 HD (Large); 11–21 HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment:—

This creature looks like an albino gorilla with a purplish tinge to its fur, but it has four arms and two heads. It also has razor-sharp teeth and long claws.

Rending Yetis are savage, magical cousins of the gorilla. They are aggressive, bloodthirsty, highly territorial, and incredibly strong. When moving on the ground, a Rending Yeti walks on its legs and lower arms (one head controls the upper pair of arms while the other head controls the lower pair). An adult Slashing Yeti is about 8 feet tall, broad-chested, and covered in thick, purplish-white fur. It weighs about 800 pounds.

Cold Subtype (Ex): Rending Yetis are immune to cold damage and take a -10 penalty on saves against fire attacks. If a fire attack does not allow a saving throw, the creature takes double damage instead.

Combat
    Rending Yetis attack anything that enters their territory, even others of their kind. Their senseless belligerence is the one characteristic that keeps their numbers in check. Still, the creatures show some cunning.

A solitary Rending Yeti usually conceals itself under a pile of snow and ice, with only its nose showing.

When it spots or scents prey, it charges to the attack. A Rending Yeti picks up prey that is small enough to carry and withdraws, often vanishing into the frozen wastes before the victim’s companions can do anything to retaliate. Against larger foes, a Rending Yeti seeks to tear a single opponent to bits as quickly as it can.

Breath of Hail (Su): Rending Yetis can breathe jets of frost 10 feet high, 10 feet wide, and 20 feet long. Both heads breathe once every 1d4 rounds, and each jet deals 3d6 points of cold damage per head; a successful Reflex save (DC 14) halves the damage.

Rend (Ex): A Rending Yeti that hits with two or more claw attacks latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an extra 2d4+12 points of damage.

Skills: A Rending Yeti has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.

Note: The Combat Reflexes feat permits the creature a total of 4 attacks of opportunity per round and allows it to make such attacks of opportunity while flat-footed.

Last edited by DrassustheGaunt on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:33 pm; edited 4 times in total
    GreySage

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:57 pm  

I like it. It would make for a fun replacement for the Yeti leader in the Glacial Rift. I never liked that he was wielding a sword. Neutral

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:00 pm  

Thanks.

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of that whole "sword" thing, either. rolleyes

Plus it makes a nice surprise as many are already very familiar with the module.

Last edited by DrassustheGaunt on Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    CF Admin

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:31 pm  

Hey DrassustheGaunt, your Rending Yeti looks ferocious.

Two questions: first, why are its claw attacks 1d4 rather than 1d6? Aren't the former generally for Medium claw attacks?

Second, I'm interested in your Darkvision selection. Does it derive from the Girallon, is it endemic to the Giant type, or did you add it for your own purposes?

Finally, Pathfinder Adventure Path #51: The Hungry Storm (Jade Regent 3 of 6), http://paizo.com/pathfinder/v5748btpy8kgv, featured some yetis that might be of interest.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:51 pm  

mtg wrote:
    Hey DrassustheGaunt, your Rending Yeti looks ferocious.

Thanks. Smile

mtg wrote:
    Two questions: first, why are its claw attacks 1d4 rather than 1d6? Aren't the former generally for Medium claw attacks?

You're correct; it usually is.

However, Monster Manual I {3.5 ed} p.126 says that's what the damage is. Perhaps it is a typo?

mtg wrote:
    Second, I'm interested in your Darkvision selection. Does it derive from the Girallon, is it endemic to the Giant type, or did you add it for your own purposes?

It's a feature of the template. From Savage Species p. 125 ▼

Quote:
    Special Qualities: Multiheaded creatures have dark-vision to a range of 90 feet.

Also, IMO, the Darkvision is less an environmental adaptation and more a geographic one, as the nights will be longer in the areas it calls home.

mtg wrote:
    Finally, Pathfinder Adventure Path #51: The Hungry Storm (Jade Regent 3 of 6), http://paizo.com/pathfinder/v5748btpy8kgv, featured some yetis that might be of interest.

Very cool.

I'l have to check it out.

I came up with this monster because I wanted something different and (at the time) there wasn't anything really "yeti-like".

TBPH, I was thrilled with how this came out as it seems the two were made for each other.

Plus, I have this Beowulf-esque image of a dozen Frutzi warriors (read: Vikings) battling one of these beasts as it bursts into their great hall to have a feast of its own. Cool

» Š
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:45 pm  

Drassus,

A beast many young and old Frutzi warriors would like to defeat. This is good if you can create a whole ecology for this creature it would make for an interesting article.

Later

Argon
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:52 pm  

Argon wrote:
    Drassus,

A beast many young and old Frutzi warriors would like to defeat. This is good if you can create a whole ecology for this creature it would make for an interesting article.

Many thanks, Argon.

An ecology might be a lot of fun to write.

I'll have to flesh it out and see how it goes. Smile

» Š
    CF Admin

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:25 am  

Hey DrassustheGaunt, in case it's useful, I just found a couple of relevant links from the Pathfinder SRD:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/girallon (although it appears to be missing the multi-attack feat)

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/girallon/high-girallon (an evil intelligent version, rumored to be the origin of the lesser girallon and connected to a demon lord)

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/monstrous-humanoids/yeti (Pathfinder version)

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/monstrous-humanoids/yeti-tohc (Tome of Horrors Complete version)

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/ (alphabetical listing)

Of course, there are some differences between Pathfinder and 3.5e, but they should be minimal and relatively easy to deal with.

Argon, Lands of the Linnorm Kings might prove helpful in detailing the Suel barbarians of Rhizia, http://paizo.com/products/btpy8ode
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:27 pm  

mtg wrote:
    Hey DrassustheGaunt, in case it's useful, I just found a couple of relevant links from the Pathfinder SRD:

Very cool.

Thanks for the tip; I'll look into them. Smile
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:03 pm  

mtg,

Looks like PF may have expanded on my Trolls of Oerth article. http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=402 As you'll see I mention the Sheldomar Valley but also see my mythos as well as how I detailed the trolls IMC for Greyhawk.

On a side note the trolls would be a good addition to the Thillonrian Peninsula as potential enemies for those people. Hence, my story for my first character Argon a trollborn barbarian.

Later

Argon
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: