Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - I've been slimed!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    I've been slimed!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:01 pm  
    I've been slimed!

So, I'm reading up on Green Slime, the monster, and I have some questions for you pros. It's special attack turns you into green slime in "1-4 melee rounds" and it can only be "scraped off quickly, cut away, frozen or burned." How do you adjudicate such an encounter? How long does it take to scrape off once the victim starts? Should you assume that any damage from fire or cold is shared with the victim, or is it wholly absorbed by the slime? Since it can "dissolve metal quickly, going through plate armor in three melee rounds" should I assume that adds survival time to the 1-4 initial rounds? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:29 pm  

It takes one round to scrape it off, and "yes" to all of the other questions.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:08 am  

I hate green slime!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think that a Cure Disease spell, and also direct sunlight, will destroy it...

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:49 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think that a Cure Disease spell, and also direct sunlight, will destroy it...

You're right about Cure Disease and they certainly don't like sunlight, although it takes a considerable amount of time for that to destroy them. I have a paladin in the group, so they have free access to Cure Disease, but only if he knows to use it. None of the characters have the Dungeoneering proficiency, and I can't assume that that's common knowledge.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:06 am  

True! Never assume that a character knows something. Use your common sense, consider the background of the character as well as their proficiencies, their level of experience...and when in doubt, leave it to a random die roll if you want that element of chance.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:41 pm  

Nerdcav,

This is a Lanthorn topic! Happy

Yes, I would rule that armor can prolong your doom and gloom. Though Cebrion's yes to all approach made me laugh. Sort of like next question?

Razz

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:23 pm  

Nerdcav, not sure if that remark is a compliment or a curse. Wink

Anyhow, wondering just what can be used effectively as a 'scraper' and thinking that most items will be dissolved and ruined in the attempt...

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:31 pm  

Good question Lanthorn,

Anything made of stone would probably be immune as a green slime seems unable to dissolve the earth otherwise is would dissolve it self once it hits the core of oerth. If one is wearing plate armor the slime still needs like three rounds to dissolve it so it can be used because it will not be fully dissolved in the one round it takes to scrape it off.

So in the long run if an item would dissolve in one round it cannot be used to remove the slime. An item used must be able to resist the effect for at least two rounds in order for it to be effective in scraping off the slime.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:33 pm  

Do you imagine that magical items get an actual saving throw to resist being dissolved?

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:51 pm  

Magical items should receive a save as its magical aura would act as an extra layer of protection from the green slime. However, one risks losing a magical item should it magical aura get consumed by the slime.

Example: One has a staff of light. A staff is made of wood and can be dissolved in one round. However it's magical aura grants it a saving throw which means at least one extra round be fore the wood is susceptible to the green slime. Now if the staff makes its save the aura withstood its exposure to the slime that round and retains its magical functions. Now if the aura failed its save the staff would still be intact though it loses any and all its magical functions.

As a guide I would suggest that multi-functions get multiple saves and each +1 an item has also grants it a bonus to its save. However a failure on a +5 item in contact with the slime in one round would now be a +4 item and save at +4 next round instead of a +5. Much as a multi function item would lose one function a round as opposed to all functions in one round.

I hope this helps.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:33 pm  

Agreed. I am just picturing in my mind HOW one scrapes off green slime without splattering it everywhere (a disaster in the making), and doing enough of a good job so that every little bit is removed. It must be a horrifying endeavor!

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:35 am  

I want to say that magic items don't get a save, but it does take a green slime longer to dissolve items for each "+" that they have, meaning you better scrape the slime off of the item very quickly too, or the item will be gone. Maybe that effect is for some other sort of ooze/slime/jelly though. One of you lot look it up. Laughing

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:32 am  

Ceb, why don't you think that a magic item doesn't get a save? If anything in all of Oerth is resilient, it is permanently enchanted items. The green slime entry doesn't say that the 'monster' automatically eats away even magic items, so, erring on the side of caution (and perhaps mercy), I would have to agree with Argon, that magic items are entitled to a save.

-Lanthorn

p.s. will look around and see what I can find out, though...
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: