JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Dwarves of the Lortmil Mountains
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Dwarves of the Lortmil Mountains
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:31 am  
    Dwarves of the Lortmil Mountains

I'm trying to create a Dwarven Cleric NPC for a story-line I have brewing, and I could use some feedback. The dwarf either directly participated in or is from a clan that participated in the Battle of Emridy Meadows. Those dwarves were Dwur of the Lortmil Mtns. Looking at the subraces of the Lortmils, it's likely to either have been:

A. "the Mentherim-Dwur, or 'Humanfriend' dwarves. These dwarves have adapted most closely to human civilization, living in or near human cities." or
    B. "The Turmistik-Dwur are the mountain dwarves of the northeastern ranges. They are the most militant of the dwarves."
    [EDITED] Source is here.

The Oerth Journal #2 mentions that the Lortmil dwarves tend to worship Berronar (is she listed as Berei in the WoG?) but being a goddess of Home and Clan, I think perhaps a cleric of Ulaa may be more likely found on a mission out in the world (it doesn't hurt that I have a description of Ulaa clerics in Greyhawk Adventures Wink)

So what I am looking for is a fairly well documented dwarven settlement or clan in the Lortmils or the Kron Hills that could have sent troops to assist Prince Thrommel IV against the Horde of Elemental Evil. The Journal claims "The stronghold of Balnorhak was the primary settlement of those mountain dwarves native to the Lortmils", but I have to admit that I can't find it on the maps, nor in any subsequent documents I own. I've tried to do my homework here, but I'm coming up empty. Can someone instruct me?

Last edited by nerdcav on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:39 pm  
    Woo!

It took long enough, but I've finally been plagiarized!

Those sub-races of dwur were first detailed here: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=49

~Scott "-enkainen" Casper

Because Yak-Men don't feel important until they've been robbed...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:54 pm  
    Re: Woo!

Scottenkainen wrote:
    It took long enough, but I've finally been plagiarized!

Fantastic! I'll edit the "source" link appropriately. As the OP, do you have any insight into my query?

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:37 pm  
    Sadly...

...not. I've never done any work with the Lortmils. Hopefully someone who was more involved with Living Verbobonc or Living Veluna will see this and respond.

~Scott "-enkainen" Casper

Never got his Living Verbobonc cleric past 3rd level...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:00 pm  

You might try the Living Verbonc site - http://www.verbobonc.net/, which is still maintained as an archive. You have to register to get access to the downloads, but it's easy enough to do. They've got some good maps and what you'll probably want to look at closest is a document named "The History of Clan Rockhall." You could easily combine that info with Scott's article.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:44 am  
    Re: Dwarves of the Lortmil Mountains

nerdcav wrote:
    ...The Oerth Journal #2 mentions that the Lortmil dwarves tend to worship Berronar (is she listed as Berei in the WoG?) but being a goddess of Home and Clan, I think perhaps a cleric of Ulaa may be more likely found on a mission out in the world (it doesn't hurt that I have a description of Ulaa clerics in Greyhawk Adventures Wink)

-Berronar is Moradin's wife (sort of like Hera to Zeus, only not as jealous, olr the incentive to be so Evil Grin). She's in AD&D1 Deities & Demi-Gods, and in Dragon #50-something or other (57?) which details the Dwarven panthenon.
    CF Admin

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:23 am  

Hey nerdcav, I'm unsure if this will serve, but an article titled The Runes of the Dwurs at Azak-Morad (RD) (available here http://hem.passagen.se/warlich/Greyhawk/World/RunesOfDwarsAzak.htm), notes that in CY -211, "Dwur refugees from Holgereth found Balnorhak (hex M4-107) in the lowest parts of Lortmils, north of the current Principality of Ulek (OJ2)."

The same Lortmils OJ 2 article by Sobrach notes that the dwur hold of Gilmorack is located beneath the mountain of "Abharclamh ( elev. 13,200 ) located near the descent of the mountains into the Lorridges ( hex A599 )[.]"

So if you're incorporating those sources into your campaign, it seems like Gilmorack would be the best, largest, most venerable base of Lortmil dwur.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:31 am  

mtg wrote:
    ...beneath the mountain of "Abharclamh ( elev. 13,200 )...

And evidently dwarves are Gaelic. No wonder they have Scottish accents. Smile

Good find, mtg.
    GreySage

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:44 am  

I've been thinking about the "Runes of the Dwurs" timeline quite a bit lately. There are a bunch of different ways to possibly take it, and here are some suggestions.

Holgereth, the Lava Kingdom, could be connected to Beoll-Dur, the lost dwarven temple conquered by salamanders and other fiery creatures described in Dragon Magazine #41.

I think Holgereth might have been abandoned thousands of years before the Rain of Colorless Fire, during the war between the Suel and the Fiery Kings, the alliance between red dragons, shadow dragons, their orc, goblin, and hobgoblin servitors, and the cult of Pyremius circa -2400 CY (described in Dragon #230). At the very least, those wars might have decimated much of Holgereth, and should be taken into account when considering the history of dwarven civilization in that region.

If you want the Lortmils to be dominated by hill dwarves, as Scottenkainen suggested, then the refugees from Holgereth could be the ancestors of the hill dwarf subrace. For what it's worth, the From the Ashes Cyclopedia, page 12, suggests that the Principality of Ulek is dominated by mountain dwarves.

My reading of the "Runes of the Dwurs" timeline suggests that hill dwarves are all descended from the Lyrkerami, those dwarves of Damgarath who fled from King Duegan. Those who sided with Duegan became the duergar, which would mean duergars and hill dwarves descend from a common root. I think this is kind of a cool idea that makes hill dwarves a little more interesting; it would explain why they live closer to other races than other dwarves do, and suggest some conflict and prejudice suffered at the hands of other dwarven peoples who blame their ancestors for the ruinous ancient war. Alternatively (or in addition), the Lyrkerami could have become the dream dwarves detailed in Races of Stone.

Races of Stone also includes a bare-bones description of a dwarven city called Uruz, the City of Granite, which could be dropped into the Lortmils. Honestly, though, it's not very interesting. A much more detailed and interesting look at a dwarven kingdom can be found in the Dwarves of Rockhome Gazetteer, though its history and politics would have to be radically rethought to fit in the Lortmils on Oerth.

Last edited by rasgon on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:53 am  

There's some detail on Berronar here and here. She doesn't appear in Deities & Demigods, but she can be found in 1st edition Unearthed Arcana, Dragon #58, Monster Mythology by Carl Sargent, and a few Forgotten Realms books (where she is also known).

Note that the dwarven citadels mentioned in Oerth Journal #2 are fan-created and probably not described anywhere else.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:16 am  

rasgon wrote:
    There's some detail on Berronar here and here. She doesn't appear in Deities & Demigods, but she can be found in 1st edition Unearthed Arcana, Dragon #58, Monster Mythology by Carl Sargent, and a few Forgotten Realms books (where she is also known)...

-Arrgh! Sorry 'bout that.

Was it just Moradin in Deities and Demi-Gods?

And Dragon #58, not 57. Hazards of posting without the sources. Wink
    GreySage

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:47 am  

jamesdglick wrote:

Yep. The other main dwarf gods were created later on by Roger E. Moore. Ulaa, of course, was created by Gary Gygax for the 1983 World of Greyhawk boxed set.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:45 am  

rasgon wrote:
    jamesdglick wrote:

Yep. The other main dwarf gods were created later on by Roger E. Moore. Ulaa, of course, was created by Gary Gygax for the 1983 World of Greyhawk boxed set.
    To be fair, Clanggedin, Dumathoin, and Abbathor were named in Deities & Demigods, but not fleshed out until Roger Moore's "The Dwarven Point of View" article.
    GreySage

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:55 am  

Nerdcav,

Forgive my impudence, but are you dead-set on a dwarf for your campaign, or would a gnome serve your cause and needs just as well?

The reason I stir the pot is because, from my (scant?) knowledge about the Battle of Emridy Meadows and the Temple of Elemental Evil, I know that the gnomes from the nearby Kron Hills were a contributing force in allying with the humans and elves to throw down the forces of evil. I don't recall any sizable, or notable, force of dwur who assisted...not to say they didn't, but perhaps a gnomish cleric would better serve your purpose. Especially if this is for your Temple of Elemental Evil campaign/saga...

As for the dwarven pantheon, I know someone mentioned it earlier, but I can think of no other more useful tome than Monster Mythology since it gives a nice overview of ALL the Powers, then specifically addresses each and every one. The same is true of the gnomish pantheon, too, for that matter (and many many others! this is an invaluable aid, in my mind)!

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:25 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    As for the dwarven pantheon, I know someone mentioned it earlier, but I can think of no other more useful tome than Monster Mythology since it gives a nice overview of ALL the Powers, then specifically addresses each and every one. The same is true of the gnomish pantheon, too, for that matter (and many many others! this is an invaluable aid, in my mind)!

What a goldmine! I have the info for Ulaa from the Greyhawk Adventures book, but this text just blew the doors open, so to speak.

I'm settled on a Dwarf, about 200 participated in the Battle of Emridy Meadows, and I have a place for him already in my story. What I didn't have was an exhaustive breakdown of cleric specifics, so Ulaa was my main choice by default. Now, with the Monster Mythology, I can go with Berronar, who was the popular deity among the dwarves of the Lortmils.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:36 pm  

Glad you liked my suggestion about the book. It is, to me, an absolute 'must have' if you plan to run demi-humans and humanoids in your campaign. Basically, this book gives you all the priesthood requirements, including weapon and armor allowances, stat minimums, and, probably the most useful of all...spell spheres and bonus powers (specialty priests only).

In overview, here are the Powers listed and their Portfolios:

-Moradin: Creator, Smithing and Crafts, War
    -Berronar: Defender, Protector (primarily of hearth), Healing
    -Clangeddin: War
    -Dugmaren: (errant god) Scholarship, Inquiry
    -Dumathoin: Secrets, Mining Safety, Security and Exploration
    -Muamman Duathal: Adventure, Travelers (quasi-druidic)
    -Vergadain: Merchants, Wealth, Luck
    -Abbathor: Thieves (Evil), Avarice

What is your PC concept for your priest? One of those others may better suit your character...

-Lanthorn

p.s. Ulaa and her priesthood is also outlined, like so many other Powers, in From the Ashes. If you can, get your paws on that, too. Very helpful information within...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:36 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Glad you liked my suggestion about the book. It is, to me, an absolute 'must have' if you plan to run demi-humans and humanoids in your campaign. Basically, this book gives you all the priesthood requirements, including weapon and armor allowances, stat minimums, and, probably the most useful of all...spell spheres and bonus powers (specialty priests only).

In overview, here are the Powers listed and their Portfolios:

-Moradin: Creator, Smithing and Crafts, War
    -Berronar: Defender, Protector (primarily of hearth), Healing
    -Clangeddin: War
    -Dugmaren: (errant god) Scholarship, Inquiry
    -Dumathoin: Secrets, Mining Safety, Security and Exploration
    -Muamman Duathal: Adventure, Travelers (quasi-druidic)
    -Vergadain: Merchants, Wealth, Luck
    -Abbathor: Thieves (Evil), Avarice

What is your PC concept for your priest? One of those others may better suit your character...

-Lanthorn

p.s. Ulaa and her priesthood is also outlined, like so many other Powers, in From the Ashes. If you can, get your paws on that, too. Very helpful information within...

-Most out the Dwarven deities are "Dwarf-centric." Ulaa crosses the race boundary, making a cleric of that deity more likley to hang out with humans, I'd think. How about Jascar or Fortubo?
    GreySage

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:34 pm  

True that with respect to Ulaa, Fortubo, and Jascar crossing racial lines (includes gnomes, too!).

However, there could be some very good reasons why a dwarven cleric serving a 'purely' dwarven Power would/could ally with humans, thereby leaving the sanctity of the Lortmils.

Priests of Moradin are expected to take leadership roles and are encouraged to adventure so long as it furthers the interests of the dwarven people, of course.

A priestess of Berronar...more likely to stay close to hearth and home, defend and protect the clan. Possible, but not as plausible.

War cleric of Clangeddin? Definitely, especially if it means battling the enemies of the clan or any perceived threat to the dwarven stronghold.

A cleric of Dugmaren would not be interested in battle, conquest, or war. The most likely explanation for integrating a cleric of this Power would be the pursuit of knowledge or 'intelligence' with respect to the rise of the Temple, and how best to counter it.

I highly doubt that a priest of Dumathoin would be involved unless there was some highly prized secret (ore? riches?) deep within the bowels of the Temple grounds of interest to the dwarven people.

A cleric of Muamman Duathal? YES. Adventuring and travel is the meat and drink of this wandering priesthood.

Vergadain? Doubtful. It would have to somehow have great significance to the wealth, trade, and commerce of the dwarven stronghold.

I won't even mention Abbathor, given that if there is a paladin in this party, you've got problems right there.

Just my thoughts,

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:24 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    I highly doubt that a priest of Dumathoin would be involved unless there was some highly prized secret (ore? riches?) deep within the bowels of the Temple grounds of interest to the dwarven people.

Oh, there's a gem down there, all right. If she's the type you're into. Razz

SirXaris
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: