JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Pelor vs. Pholtus
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Pelor vs. Pholtus
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:57 pm  
    Pelor vs. Pholtus

I keep reading about how St Cuthbert and Pholtus don't get along. I would think it would be Pelor and Pholtus, since they share some of the same protfolios.

And now that Pelor is suppossed to be a more martial diety, even bringing in a paladin from another world to serve as his herald I think its tiem someone put a foot up the arse of the Pholtians.
    Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:43 pm  

I think it comes down to Racial origin and dogma. Pholtus and Pelor are both Light gods but Pholtus is Oeridian while Pelor, a greater god, is originally Flan. Pelor is neutral primarily and thus appeals to a broader base while Pholtus is Lawful and even then is only for the most fanatic. St Cuthbert whose ethnic origin is highly debated, has the same alignment as Pholtus and St Cuthbert seems to appeal to a common base of people, instead of one ethnicity and may very well be taking worshippers away from both Pelor and Pholtus, hence Pelor's increase in martial awareness and the introduction of Mayaheine, who is redundant to Heironeous in a way. I'm not saying gods need worshippers for power, but a god's purpose is to maintain their portfolio and advocate their alignment so in the pantheon of good there is plenty of jockeying going on.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:49 pm  

Cuthbert and Pholtus are in more direct competition. They're both LG(N). They're both fairly active (in a divine context) demi-gods. It's the lawful mixed in with the neutral tendencies that create the conflict. Both have very strict doctrines, and they are sure only their doctrine is the right one. Also, Pholtus is of Oeridian origin. His religion was brought to the Flanaess by the migrating Oeridian tribes. My view is that St. Cuthbert has ascended to the divine ranks rather recently (post migrations) and his followers are probably considered somewhat as upstarts, cutting into the population that would traditionally follow Pholtus.
    Pelor, was worshipped by the Flan before the migrations began. His religion was established when the Oeridians arrived. He's a greater god, so he's probably more distant. Also, he's NG, which is probably more tolerant.
    Scott
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:58 am  

the following is all IMC Cool

Pelor is losing his divinity as the flan become subsumed by the other cultures now in the area. Pholtus was given the sun portfolio when Pelor saw he couldn't keep the sun in its specified orbit/timespot. Mayhanie-spelling wrong I know- is the manifestation that Pelor is becoming more of a god of "goodness" and foe of undead. Cue St. Bane Wink . As an aside IMC I use only a very few of the gods/godesses as written for worship. The rest; if and when they come up; are religated to cult or some other manisfestation of the "core" gods.
    CF Admin

Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:11 pm  
    The Same Being

I've been toying with the idea that Pelor and Pholtus are the same being, presence or spirit in a pure, supernatural sense. The terms Pelor and Pholtus are just appelations contrived by mortals. Mortals, in their imperfect and fragile state of existence, have developed two diverging interpretations of the same spiritual power - hence Pelor and Pholtus as perceived by mortal minds and hearts. I would suggest, if pressed, that Pelor is the more accurate understanding or interpretation of the real being. Pholtus is the result of apostacy and a falling away from the simple doctrines of the actual divine power.

I know it's a wild idea, but I've been trying to trim down the number of Greyhawk deities.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:27 am  

Quote:
    Pelor is losing his divinity as the flan become subsumed by the other cultures now in the area. Pholtus was given the sun portfolio when Pelor saw he couldn't keep the sun in its specified orbit.

Ooo, I kind of like that.

Also, the faith of Pholtus, had been for years, supressed by the Hextorians of the Ivid V era in the Great Kingdom. so, he too, had been at a loss for followers due to supression, much like the Flan followers of Pelor.

With the passing of Ivid and the ascension of Xavener, I'm sure the competition between Cuthbert and Pholtus for followers has reached it's high culmination point, specifically in the heavily populated lands of Ahlissa, where people are finding they may now worship good gods without fear. (or to a lesser degree, anyway)

Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:47 am  

I made some changes for my game. Connecting the Chainmail setting more to the main GH setting. Mayaheine is from that half of the world not the another world. She was a paladin of Pelor and got her divine spark (along with a few others) from the death of Stratis, thier war god.

I've also set it up so that Stern Alia, and Rao are the highest gods on the chain, and ex lovers. Making Rao the father of Hextor, Heironeous and Stratis.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: