Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - ANyone have experience using HEXOGRAPHER or DUNGEONOGRAPHER?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    ANyone have experience using HEXOGRAPHER or DUNGEONOGRAPHER?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:41 am  
    ANyone have experience using HEXOGRAPHER or DUNGEONOGRAPHER?

Hey all. I recently bought full versions of Hexographer and Dungeonographer, and have been playing around with them. While they are useful and fun, I have a few questions for anyone who is familiar with the programs, or has used them a lot.

First, is there a decent tutorial site for doing different things with the programs? I tried looking at Inkwell's page, but it made my ADD act up.

Barring that.... it there a way to superimpose larger hexes overtop of a map? Obviously, I want to be able to zoom in and out from a large hex, to see a smaller view with hexes. (yes, I am making a sandbox campaign, why do you ask? 8) )

Also, is there a way to get Dungeonographer to do more "natural" looking maps, like undergroud caverns? I'm sure I probably need to download something to get that functionality )heck, I may alreayd have it on one of my other computers....)

I was hoping to use these programs to get some basic maps out of the way, so I can start planning, but if I can't do the zooming/overlaid big hex to detail thing, then I guess I have to break out the pencil and paper, and start sketching.

Thanks in advance!
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:04 pm  

I've used them both, although I've got a lot more experience with hexographer. I used that program to make these:

http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/2012/05/mapping-beyond-flanaess-all-together.html

I don't think there are any tutorial sites other than the main Inkwell page, although I've not really looked around.

If I'm understanding what you're asking, no, there's no way to zoom in from a large hex into a number of smaller sub-hexes. I'm also not aware of any way to have more than one hex grid on the same map, but I've had a lot of luck making the main maps in hexographer and then porting them over to GIMP to do some touch-up work. You might be able to superimpose your large hex grid that way.

Hope that helps.

Joe / GG
    www.greyhawkgrognard.com[/url]
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:57 pm  

Hmmmm. I have heard of this Gimp. Guess I'll have to check it out (although I'm sure any image editor would work). Thanks for the advice! I have my basic sandbox area finished, I was just thinking of putting it into a "larger context", but now.... I might not. I think I'm overanalyzing sandbox construction again. 8)
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: