JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The New Map of the Flanaess - SOLD OUT
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The New Map of the Flanaess - SOLD OUT
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:17 am  
    The New Map of the Flanaess - SOLD OUT

I got a copy of the new map of the Flanaess from Dungeon 118. It is outstanding by every measure.

I had significant difficulty obtaining a copy, however. While the Paizo site indicates a release to stores yesterday, in fact, many stores were (unknown to me) selling it last week! As a result, Dungeon Issue 118 was "SOLD OUT" in 4 of 5 game stores I had to canvass before finally locating a lone remaining copy.

Word to the wise - don't believe the release date to stores indicated at the Paizo site - if you have not already done so, go get your copy NOW.

GVD

Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:44 am  

I hit my local store and yup they didnt have any. Talk about depressing. First time in years I actuall go out to buy a magazine and they are sold out. Had to settle for a new horror anthology. Mad

Maraudar
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:12 pm  

Still my mailbox lies empty, devoid of cartographical goodness Sad

Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:03 pm  

The release dates will go into affect once all of the distributors are "coerced" into playing ball on an even field. Realease dates will be a good thing though. I like to know when things are coming out rather than just an estimation. I have a few copies coming into my shop soon, though I've picked up an extra copy for myself and have yet another on hold for somebody else. There will still be some left for people around the L.A./San Bernadino area.

I just love the fact that I am getting calls to see if I have "the Greyhawk map issue" of Dungeon.
    Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:54 am  

My local shop must be playing ball, I still don't have 118. Boo. Mad
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:31 am  

I finally got the first part of the map, very good work !!!

Only one regret, i would have liked to get major roads on it.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:58 pm  

As much as marking major roads helps with utility, it can also tend to make the map an eyesore. I've seen the Flanaess covered with road lines, and ladies and gentlemen, it's an eyesore.

Whenever we "zoom in" on an area for a map in Dungeon we like to include roads--just not on this large, pretty map.

--Erik
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:16 am  

I think it would be a really cool idea if we could persuade Triads of LGG regions to produce listings of locations in their regions in the same typeface as the maps, which could then be printed off onto clear sticky labels and added to the maps by those of us who would like to use LGG locations in our campaigns.

Granted, given the scale, some regions might become too crowded for all the locations to be added (a problem with the Domain of Greyhawk even on smaller scale maps), but major locations shouldn't be a problem. does anybody else think that this might be do-able, either as a possible insert in future issues of Dungeon or just on the Web?
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:53 am  
    SuggestionsQuestions to Iquander

I realize that you are running a business, Iquander, and therefore you cannot provide all of the items that we are discussing. But what if we provided them to you, you edit it (we will try to make this as minimal as possible) and you publish it as a Paizo Web supplement. Bing, Bam, Boom, no cost (or absolutely minimal) to Paizo, and all Dungeon purchasers can get the info in one place.

Makes more sense that trying to get the info through the Triads, particularly since many subscribers have little or no connection with them.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:19 am  

That's true Iquander, roads on such maps at this scale would be an eyesore. You're right.

The things is that there is no global Flanaess map with major roads on it, all the maps through the different products (WOG folio, '83 bowed set, FtA, LGG) do not offer such information. True, there is some maps in the Marklands or Iuz the Evil, but no maps covering the whole Flanaess.

Idea Maybe it is feasible to have a black and white map with major roads and why not political boundaries ...

Embarassed Do not understand my words as a "bad" critiscims, I'm more than happy that a GH buddy with your knowledge has taken the hold of the D&D magazine, you have already offered us more than we have got in several years. Happy

But as we say in french "donnez leur la main, ils voudront le bras" lol Wink
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:47 am  

There is a road map that I have seen at a few web sites. It is here at least: http://www.dancingshaman.net/blood/maps.htm

I do not know who created it.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:37 am  
    Follow the Yellow Brick road

Heya Everyone,

Actually, I like that there are no roads. It allows me as the DM to have some flexability and allows the PC's to stretch their imaginations a little bit. Then again, it's all based on personal preferance. Wink

Buy a copy of Dungeon,
    Dwarf from Nyrond
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:47 am  

Wolfsire :

I have already checked this map, and in fact i use it in my campaign, but i was looking for a more "official" one or "canonical" one.

Dwarffromnyrond :

Maps with road can tell us a lot about the setting, i.e. major trade ways between countries and then what kind of good are echanged, main communication roads and then which countries have political exchange, developments of a land, ...

But you're right also, less info give more space to PC creativity. On the other, i have not much time and opportunity to play (my gaming group is some 500km from where i live), and i like to spend some of my spare time on developping or throwing some ideas on the setting based on the info we get from the various sourcebooks (see my post on weather on the bandits kingdom land).
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: