ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Question about Rary
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Question about Rary
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:24 am  
    Question about Rary

Hi,

I've been doing some research on Rary and can't seem to find exactly what I a looking for.

I am looking for an evolution of Rary in level, specifically between 575 CY and 580CY. In FFF I found Rary to be a 23rd wizard, but I can't seem to find a difinitive date at which FFF is written, i know ios must be close to 576 but I can't put my finger on it.

Anyone can point in the right direction?
    Thanks.
    GreySage

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:39 am  

I believe the boxed set to which you are referring (Greyhawk City with the "Friends, Folks, and Factions" book) is set just after the Shield Lands have fallen to the Hierarchs, just prior to the Greyhawk Wars. I believe your guess about 576 would be fairly accurate, but you have at least 2-4 yrs leeway on that, I would think.

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:53 pm  

I'd always thought the CoG boxed set date was 581CY but can't for the life of me remember where I got that from.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:31 am  

According to From the Ashes, "The City of Greyhawk boxed set was set in early 582 CY, and thus some three years' worth of updates have been included...". When in doubt, I've gone with one level per year for most active NPCs, so I'd put Rary around 16th level in 575 CY.
    GreySage

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 am  

One thing to bear in mind with reduction (or enhancing) levels is that the progression is not linear. Going from 1st to 2nd is fast given the difference required in experience...going from 16th to 17th is not. I would only reduce Rary by one level, two at most.

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:29 pm  

Thanks everyone for your input. I figured as much but appreciate the secnd opinion. For my campaign I will most likely reduce Rary to 21st level which seems appropriate in the time frame.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:20 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    One thing to bear in mind with reduction (or enhancing) levels is that the progression is not linear. Going from 1st to 2nd is fast given the difference required in experience...going from 16th to 17th is not. I would only reduce Rary by one level, two at most...

-Yeah, I agree in general, with these caveats:

1) Might depend on whether it's AD&D or D&D 3.0+;

2) Depends on what he was doing at certain points in his career. If Rary was taking a hiatus (training? research?), he might have earned 0XP. OTOH, he might have earned all his XP between 576-582, and then went into hibernation during the Greyhawk Wars. It would depend on what he did during each year, for which I have no particular info' (I'd have to look up Rary the Traitor, which I don't have on me, and I don't think there's anything explicit in there, either.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:39 pm  

The collectible cards TSR put out in the early nineties had Rary at 25th level and Mordenkainen at 21st level if I recall correctly. Rary was considered the most powerful of the group though Dungeon I believe had Rary at 23rd level.

I guess it depends on what level the circle of eight is at.

Later

Argon
    Master Greytalker

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:16 am  

FWIW, in WG5 Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure (c. 568 CY), Mordenkainen and Bigby are 12th and 10th level, respectively.
    GreySage

Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:30 pm  

In Rary the Traitor the archmage is 24th lvl. I believe this sourceguide takes place in 585 CY.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:33 pm  

Yeah,

So many different levels between products for all these wizards. I say use whatever level you prefer its your campaign, run it as you like.

Later

Argon
    CF Admin

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:40 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    In Rary the Traitor the archmage is 24th lvl. I believe this sourceguide takes place in 585 CY.

-Lanthorn

I concur.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: