JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Fey In Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Fey In Greyhawk
    Master Greytalker

Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:01 pm  
    The Fey In Greyhawk

I am starting a new campaign in 503 CY and wanted to know general thoughts on the Fey in Greyhawk? their connection to Elves if any? I would like to weave them in.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:54 pm  
    Re: The Fey In Greyhawk

Here is a set of articles on the fey at WotC.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/fey

although it isn't specific to Greyhawk. I know that the encounter tables for sylvan areas, such as the Welkwood, near elven societies tend to have a higher frequency of faerie-kind, if that's what you mean by fey. I recall an mini-adventure in the City of Greyhawk boxed set dealt with some pesky faerie as well. If you mean fey in the sidhe sense of elf-like people from a parallel world that overlaps Oerth, have you looked at the Shadow Rift and its inhabitants from Ravenloft?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:06 pm  

From the "From the Ashes" boxed set, Atlas of the Flanaess:

"The faerie Court of Rings, accessed somewhere within the Welkwood and said to be a domain where avatars of the Seelie Court hunt and the Cat Lord has his bowers."

I also did a small write-up on this in OJ9, in my Fading Lands article. Although not offically connected, I added a possible tie-in to the Moonarch of Sehanine. Hope this helps!

I didn't design the world,
    I merely facilitated its creation
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:00 am  

Apparently although most grey elves have silver hair and violet eyes - some have golden hair and blue(?) eyes. These latter type have fey blood in their veins. (I personally switch it around - silver hair and violet eyes seem more fey to me)

I don't have anything canon to add but I do have a few ideas of my own regarding the fey in the Flanaess.

In my campaign i try and have a medieval feel and as such my fey try and fit into medieval perceptions of this. The Elven Court at Celene has close relations to the fey and Queen Yolande in my game is a powerful sorceress of fey blood rather than a wizard.

many of the goodly fey are on close terms with Ehlonna and the more mischievious fey with Olidamarra.
    Valarian is a servant power of Ehlonna and the patron of unicorns, good fey and good magical beasts of the forest.

In my campaign there maybe was once a Seelie Court but now this comprises of fey nobles - the Seelie Court is ruled by Queen Yolande. I did this to make my elves more medieval feeling and closer the the idea of the good hunt and the way the sylvan elves are portrayed in the Hobbit. Or Titianie and Oberon in A Midsummer's Night Dream.

So far I haven't fleshed out an Unseelie Court.

These are just personal ideas however.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:45 am  

I have not used fey in my campaigns, i usually stick to demons and morality, redemption, and that sort of thing. However, if i were to have feys play a major role in my campaign i would have them be totally alien to human beings. They are timeless and immortal and not given to artificial constructs such as houses and cities and would very much opposed to civilization in general. I see them as beings of emotion and fancy and would be naturally inclined to puzzlement of a cleric or a wizard trying to make sense of the world.
    Recently i rewrote the druid. I felt the book did not give a good write-up of the druid. Most people think they are rabid environmentalists who are totally opposed to civilization. While there is nothing wrong with anyone playing a druid that way i felt that there must be more to a druid than just that. While i won't get into too much about what i have done with the druid, it just seems natural that a druid would be an intermediary between the fey realm and the human realm. In any campaign involving fey it seems to me that druids would play a pivotal and central role in such a game.
    In short, it strikes me that some great inspiration for fey is in the Exalted setting.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: