Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - A request for some advice. . .
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    A request for some advice. . .
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:35 pm  
    A request for some advice. . .

I'm currently running a campaign which, up until now (8th-9th CL) has taken place entirely in the Theocracy of the Pale. We have one Inquisitor, one Paladin-variant (LN, my recipe), a displaced-Tenha fighter, a dwarf rogue from the nearby mountains, and another character who inevitably ends up fighting and losing to the Inquisitor, leading his player to remake a new guy (and great fun is had by all).

If you're in my group, though you probably aren't, please don't read any further.

The general theme of the campaign is the rise of some Ur-Flannae cult with which the group has become involved, in some cases knowingly and in others, not. They recently rescued some documents from a temple in a hidden valley in the Rakers. The Inquisitor's superior ordered him to destroy the documents (astronomical charts), but thankfully (and of his own volition -- no DM intervention necessary), he kept some and the group is travelling to the City of Greyhawk to find out what they mean.

I want the travel to provide their characters with interesting situations in nations where, in nearly all cases there is no "Church", and in some cases, the people are doing better than the people of the Pale. I have a what-I-think-is interesting situation lined up in the Flinty Hills where they come upon a besieged Nyrondese fortress (orcs) and can decide to try to break the siege themselves, inform the authorities, or find some other solution to the problem -- or ignore it altogether. I also have them encountering those crazy Pholtus guys in northern Nyrond whose name escapes me right now. Valorous League of Blindness, right?

In any event, I'm just looking for some communal brainstorming. Any ideas would be helpful. I've been incredibly impressed with the Canonfire community's breadth and depth of knowledge, and any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Gary
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:50 pm  

There's a wonderful adventure/write-up on the Ur-Flan, located here on CF:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=484

I've been trying to figure out how to work this into my campaign. Hope this helps!

I didn't design the world,
    I merely facilitated its creation
    Master Greytalker

Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:29 am  
    Travel Plans

Where do you intend them to travel? It would seem that the smart travellers would head down the river and then across the Nyr Dyv.

Consider simply overmatching them, but putting them on notice that they are over matched. If they insist on charging the Red Great Wyrm, give them 4d6 and start again.

However, they sound as if they would enjoy (or maybe just you would) encounters with alignment/goal obstacles that could not be overcome except through negotiation, role play and skill checks. The fairytale "Troll Bridge," could do.

Also, something my player have enjoyed while on travel is a long series of short, unrelated encounters. There is not over arching theme except travel can be dangerous. With this, you can try many things and if something works well and is fun, expand upon it.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:55 am  

basiliv,

Thanks for the link. I'd seen that, but it was a while ago. I'll give it another look.

Anced_Math,

They're starting out in Woodsedge, which is down between the Gamboge and the Rakers. I have them going down a trail past the Flinty Hills into Nyrond, probably down the Duntide to Rel Mord, then across the kingdom, through Urnst, and into the City.

That's a really good idea about the small, unrelated encounters that can be built upon.

Thanks for the replies,

Gary
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:13 pm  

Obviously with a dwarf in their party they should have already had quite a bit of the ole Palish racisim come to the fore.

Obviously Nyrond isn't better off than the Pale, they are hurtin' even more after the Wars. But the Urnst states are another matter all together. I suppose you could have an encounter where some well off County people are degrading and spitting upon some Flannae refugees, the refugees might even be down on their luck clergy of Pelor or some other well respected religion outside of the Pale.

This could be contrasted with the Valorous League who converts many Pelor worshipers to Pholtus from amongst the refugees.

Just a couple of thoughts.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:30 pm  

Phoebus,

The Inquisitor in the party has already gotten sworn (and geased) allegiance from the other non-Church characters. He hates elves more than any other demihuman race, and has already burnt at the stake one elven PC. The dwarf is relatively accepted, especially since he's a new character (the player's old one was dominated by an evil artifact in the hidden temple and the Inquisitor, having decided that he had lost that member of his flock, decided not to raise him), and hasn't had many opportunities to encounter less open-minded Pholtans. He should have some fun, as you mention, with the Valorous League.

I'm not that up on the Nyrondese economy "now" in Greyhawk, so I was going to go with a post-war recession. (Economists out there, is it a recession?) It should provide some opportunities to recruit poor peasants to the Blinding One. I'm glad to hear that it has still not recovered. Presumably, things will get better for the Nyrondese, though, right? I remember that in the 14th Century, after all the horrible things that happened to Europe (Hundred Years' War, Great Plague, some other stuff), conditions for the average peasant, in terms of quality of life, were actually good. Less people, more land, more bargaining power. I guess that'll happen to Nyrond at some point.

The Urnst States, if I recall correctly, are fairly prosperous, and that should be fun as well. The people will be less open to proselytizing.

The City of Greyhawk, of course, will be wonderful. I have it right at the beginning of the Enlightenment: developing a modern market economy, natural philosophy, &c. That'll be a hoot for the small-time religious folk being suddenly exposed to metropolitan culture.

Gary
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:59 am  

I happen to be a history major and i just completed a class on Tudor-Stuart England. Gary, you had asked what the economic conditions after a war would be like, i might be able to give you some ideas. Medieval armies and wars did not involve the whole country like they did in WWI or WWII. The aristocracy were highly skilled and experienced warriors and had small armies. Armies were not centralized until the English Civil Wars in the 1640s, so there were many lords just wandering around looking for fights. if you are running Nyrond with a centralized army you could have an event happen that happened to Cromwell: a large, well trained army that hasn't been paid. As i remember Nyrond was quite weakened after the Greyhawk Wars and in bad shape (The Marklands). So having the PCs traveling in Nyrond when a peasant revolt breaks out could be interesting, especially when the King cracks down. If the PCs see themselves as heroes of the common man, as my players tend to be, having them at odds with 'The Man' would definitely lead to some interesting encounters.

just some thoughts,
    The Grey Mouser
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:23 pm  

GreyMouser,

That's a fantastic idea! Happy While my PCs aren't the class warriors yours are (at least their characters aren't), it would provide a really interesting day or two of playing.

I've already implemented some of the other suggestions here ("dangerous travel", refugees), but this is a great way to weave together lots of different ideas.

Woo hoo, off to the drawing board.

Thanks,

Gary[/i]
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:04 am  

I'm glad you found my suggestions helpful. I am fond of having the world be in motion. If the PCs see that their names are known in places other than their home town it gives them incentive to make a greater impact on the world. It also lets them know that there is a world out there. Of course it is easy to wrapped up in it all and lose track, which has happened to me.

The Grey Mouser
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: