JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Rhennee: Religion
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Rhennee: Religion
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:20 am  
    Rhennee: Religion

In my campaign, I have a player playing a Rhennee Attloi. Is there any information about who the Rhennee worship out there?

I have checked on the Wiki.
    GreySage

Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:30 am  

Sorry! That would take a little research, on my part. Embarassed

Recall that, officially, the Rhennee are not originally from Oerth! They could worship -- almost -- anybody!

Odin anyone? Evil Grin

Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:43 am  

There's an article on the Rhennee in Living GH Journal #2. It states that they have no gods -- "They are hard workers to the point at which toil and enterprise have taken the place of religion. Indeed, the Rhennee long ago snubbed their noses at the gods, preferring to follow the path of self-will and rugged individualism. However, while they may have parted ways with the gods, they maintain dozens of ancient superstitions."

The opening of the article has a Rhenn referring to the Nyr Dyv as Lady Deep -- "She's our home and livelihood...", so there is at least some personification of natural features going on in their culture, even if they don't worship in the traditional sense.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:00 am  

I've got to say that in a universe where the gods are real and provide benefit, not worshipping gods would put a party at a huge disadvantage.

I mean, a Rhennee child gets blood poisoning? "Sorry, but since we are such hard workers we don't have a cleric who can cast neutralize poison. That will learn 'em deities who apparently have done nothing to offend us!"

Surely the barge folk must have some religion!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:41 am  

Raphael wrote:
    I've got to say that in a universe where the gods are real and provide benefit, not worshipping gods would put a party at a huge disadvantage...
    Surely the barge folk must have some religion!

1) Hiring a cleric would not neccessarily require worshipping that deity;

2) If you are using D&D 3.0/3.5, you have Adepts, who are not neccessarily deity related;

3) Depending on the edition you use, many places will not have many healing providing clerics anyway, because the dominant deities are evil or simply don't have it within their domain;

4) Even in places dominated by healing dominated clergies, most people can't afford it very often anyway. No loss.

In return for not wasting their time training clerics & druids, they get people trained in other classes... Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:04 am  

Definitely food for thought. Thanks for the quick replies.

I use a system derived from RuneQuest, and could assign Common Magic to the wise women, et al. I will go check out the Oerth Journal mentioned above. Thanks again!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:17 am  

Funny you mention wise women, because that's where the Vetha, the Rhennee wise women come in. They use arcane magic, but are also talented natural healers.

EDIT: Also, it's in the Living GH Journal, NOT the Oerth Journal. #0-5 were only ever available in print. Paizo has some of them in stock for sale, but they're kind of pricey and it looks like #2 is unavailable.

Last edited by smillan_31 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:22 am  

warlock wrote:
    I will go check out the Oerth Journal mentioned above. Thanks again!

It's the Living Greyhawk Journal, not the Oerth Journal.

I assume the Rhennee once had gods in their ancestral homeland of Rhop, but those gods do not or cannot answer their prayers on Oerth. The gods of the Rhennee may have forsaken them long ago, when the Rhennee were first cursed to eternally wander. There's a myth to that effect in Van Richten's Guide to the Vistani called "The Spiteful Gods," in which the gods gifted the founder of the Manusa tasque with great secrets, but condemned her and her people with eternal wandering after the crisis was over and they regretted giving what they could not take away. The Vistani do not worship gods, but their life is dominated by rituals, especially relating to setting up camp, telling stories, and the full moon which binds their oaths and enhances their magic.

Canonically, some sinister Rhennee have turned to the service of Iuz or Vecna.

In 2nd edition, The Complete Bard's Handbook stated that "many Gypsy-bards don't worship deities (although certain deities may look over them). Instead, they worship the concepts of nature, free will, and life. Gypsy-bards draw their energies from their free will, their brethren, and from their natural surroundings."

I can also see them revering the Major Arcana of a Deck of Many Things, or a mundane equivalent.

Alternately, if you really want the Rhennee to have gods and clerics, you could choose one or more of the common gods to be their patron. Olidammara would be most obvious, I think. Maybe the Rhennee first brought the worship of Olidammara into the Flanaess, and he still considers them to be his chosen people.
    GreySage

Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:41 pm  

I've occasionally used Rhennee in my games, and even played a fighter-blades (bard kit) Rhennee PC once (til he was killed) named Viktor. I've even used some Attloi as NPCs who are, in fact, lycanthropes (werewolves), which doesn't help the stereotype. Evil Grin

I suggest any of the following Powers as potential deities for your Rhennee:

Olidammara, Kurell (the Rhennee are renowned thieves, after all), Obad-hai, Beory, Istus (for those who follow a mystical path, especially the 'seers'), Fharlanghn, Ralishaz, Norebo, Rudd, and perhaps even Kelanen.

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:55 am  

My approach is pretty similar to what Rasgon has suggested.

For me most Rhennee don't worship deities due to a 'parting of ways' with the divine that may have led to their appearance in Oerth.

Just because gods exist doesn't mean people will always worship them. With gods there is usually a catch! I see the Rhennee as trusting only themselves, it might be easier to cast a cure disease but instead they will seek natural remedies from their wise-women.

Perhaps their reluctance to embrace the gods that dominate the lives of the rest of Oerth's inhabitants is one of the reasons why there is such a strong 'them and us' mentality towards the Rhennee.

That's not to say all Rhennee feel that way, maybe some obvious choices of deities they might feel drawn to are; Olidimarra, Vecna, Rudd, Norebo, Ralishaz, Celestian, Fharlanghn, Trithereon, to name a few

Rasgon's mention of connecting the Deck of Many Things with some spiritual significance is a really good idea though.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:49 am  

Thanks Smillan, Rasgon!

The Vetha sound intriguing, indeed. I have fond (if somewhat cheesy) memories of old TV series and movies involving the stereotypical gypsy woman offering cryptic advice or cursing the hero.

I am intrigued by the idea of including lycanthropes in the midst of the Attloi. Perhaps, as mine is a city-based campaign, I could use wererats instead of werewolves.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: