JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The wild coast after the war
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The wild coast after the war
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:18 am  
    The wild coast after the war

Ive been trying to get some idea what the Wild coast is like after the war.

The South is under Orkish rule but what about the North part of it was controlled by Greyhawk but i read someplace that, Greyhawk had left or
    only held part of the North coast.

any hints data would be welcome :)
    CF Admin

Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:57 am  

Greyhawk once stationed military in Hardby but the Gynarch has since regained (renegotiated) military control of her city.

Also, some of Greyhawk's ships patrol the waters of the Wooly Bay.

Otherwise, Greyhawk doesn't have much of a direct hand in the Wild Coast area, other than by the coin. They fund much of Safeton and Narwell's defense.

I imagine a naval based area much like the pre-colonial days of Spanish/Portugese/British powers. (without the gunpowder)

Occassional sea skirmishes between Pomarjian Battle Barges and the Seadogs of Hardby, Narwell, Safeton, and Scant. Those are ship names I use in my campaign which makes heavy use of the wild coast area and specially of Naval concerns.

Narwell and Safeton would likely employ militia men (or sailors for hire) into their Naval Ranks, whereas Hardby has well trained Marines.

Landwise, I use Fax as the "no-fly zone," seperating the Pomarj and the northern cities. Fax, being mostly uninhabited, sees only few souls walk its streets, mostly travellers on their way to eslewhere, etc etc...

If you had more specific questions, I could muster more specific answers.

Slavers is a decent product that goes into some depth about the region in question, you may want to pick that up.

Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:29 am  

GRRRRRRR!!!! Mad

I hated the way the Wild Coast was screwed over in FtA and it has not been "redeemed" by the LGG.

I was reminded of this travesty when Dungeon Map 2 came out and the little symbols starred off the surface at me.

IMC, the Wild Coast, home of great personages, did not go down to some orc who no one ever heard of and who was reinvented as a slaver but then not a slaver.

"Canon" Wildcoast. GRRRRRRRR!!!! Mad

GVD ::who's had his rabies and distemper shots::

Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:13 am  

I fully agree with you GVD. They should have left thew Wild coast alone. Its one of the best places to have a character come from and not be caught up in all that nationalism. Plus the place is just fun and cool. And also Turrosh Mak stinks too.

Maraudar
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:05 pm  

It was the "wide open, no loyalty" aspect of the Wild Coast that invited the Pomarj attack.

Remember that most of those "personages" you mention along with many other adventures were acting as mercenaries in other nations during the war, add a few well placed half-orc spies to open the gates and Turrosh Mak victory takes shape, if anything as written, the northern Wild Coast was lucky the orcish hoard was so disorganized and Greyhawk reacted so swiftly or it would have fell also.

Keep in mind the conquests of the Turrosh Mak empire are opportunistic.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:23 pm  

The Wars changed a lot of things. I bet there are areas elsewhere that now have the that "wide open, no loyalty" atmosphere, or are headed in that direction. Every power vacuum must be filled, but it might take a while, as in the case of the Wild Coast to get there, where neighbors hold things in a state of equilibrium. Anyone have any ideas where there might be a new Wild?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:09 pm  

I would think shoreline parts of the Great Kingdom might eventually head into that direction. Gods know alot of the area already has become completely lawless and chaotic. The turmoil in the Sea Princes are another good canidate for new " Wild Coast " type area. Maybe even sections of the Ameido if they could drive out the Brotherhood would be a good place for a new wide open area.

Maraudar
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:20 pm  

The Wild Coast is still a good place to have ccharacters originate from. Its just a bit more edgy of a place now. I wouldn't have a country bumpkin yokel type of character come from there but a hardbitten character of any type certainly. A player IMC had a character originate ffrom Highport ffrom before the Greyhawk Wars. he was a pit fighter in the orcish realm and a CN fighter with the berzerker kit. He has become a very high profile character in the campaign.

The humanoids certianly didn't kill all of the original inhabitants. Most would be slaves now, but some might be allies while others might be resistance fighters. There are many options still for characters originating from the Wild Coast.

Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:45 pm  

I agree with GVD. I really dislike what was done with the Wild Coast in "Greyhawk Wars" and "From the Ashes." Because the LGG was set in 591 and had to follow continuity established by the "Players Guide to Greyhawk" and "The Adventure Begins," we didn't have an opportunity to remold the Wild Coast as we may have liked.

While putting together the big Greyhawk map in Dungeon, I was tempted to leave the southern Wild Coast cities with the normal city tags instead of ruins. Ultimately I decided I was making the map for everyone, and not just for me, so I chose to model the setting as it has been depicted to date.

At some point, someone's going to do an official treatment of Greyhawk in a different era, and I hope that the character of the "chaotic neutral" nations can be preserved.

Of all the victims of the Greyhawk Wars, I most mourn the adventure hotbeds of the Bandit Kingdoms, the Hold of the Sea Princes, and the Wild Coast.

May they long be remembered.

--Erik Mona
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:10 am  

iquander wrote:
    I agree with GVD. I really dislike what was done with the Wild Coast in "Greyhawk Wars" and "From the Ashes." Because the LGG was set in 591 and had to follow continuity established by the "Players Guide to Greyhawk" and "The Adventure Begins," we didn't have an opportunity to remold the Wild Coast as we may have liked.

While putting together the big Greyhawk map in Dungeon, I was tempted to leave the southern Wild Coast cities with the normal city tags instead of ruins. Ultimately I decided I was making the map for everyone, and not just for me, so I chose to model the setting as it has been depicted to date.

At some point, someone's going to do an official treatment of Greyhawk in a different era, and I hope that the character of the "chaotic neutral" nations can be preserved.

Of all the victims of the Greyhawk Wars, I most mourn the adventure hotbeds of the Bandit Kingdoms, the Hold of the Sea Princes, and the Wild Coast.

May they long be remembered.

--Erik Mona

Which is why I would so welcome a rejuvenated Greyhawk taking the direction of fleshing out the setting in different eras. I have never been a great fan of the FTA treatment, although I do use some locations and plotlines from it, but IMC the war goes off on a different tangent. Unfortunately, for the sake of continuity, most recent submissions have incorporated the FTA changes and have not developed themes which I would make more use of. A Greyhawk in-depth product looking at the pre-war scenario would be a real boon - particularly if dealing with some of my favourite areas including the Wild Coast.

That said, any well-written Greyhawk material I find at least some use for, even if I just pick some ideas and develop them along my own campaign theme.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:42 am  

wow thanks for the fast and excellent replies Happy

I agree the Wild coast has always been a great favorite of mine as an adventure locale. And im running my next campaign there.

The pcs are all Refugees from the lost area and will bit by bit get drawn into
    an emerging plot by one of Mak's lieutenants looking to grab some more of the Wild coast for himself.

Again thank you and if anyone has any more points on how the coast is in the current setting please keep them coming
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:52 pm  

Granted the wild coast is under new management but there are plenty of work for shady characters.

Mercenaries (warriors, interrogators, raiders, supply guards)
    Priests (healers, diviners, judges, advocates)
    Mages (enchanters, battle mages, construction, intelligence)
    Thieves (guilds, spies, counter-intelligence)

Should all be in high demand, not too mention smugglers, war profiteers, corrupt officials, vigilantees belive me an "armed camp" is full of intrigue.

Remember even the "Evil" part of the coast needs mundane supplies and turrosh mak has many human citizens after all orcs aren't great cobblers.

Elsewhere in the Flanaess the "wild open" exist...

Vernport of the Sea Barons
    Eastern Aerdy coast
    Many areas of the Bandit Lands are still written as wild despite Iuz claims
    The Baklunish ports are rife with intrigue
    Baklunish Isles
    Dullstrand
    Nyrond coast is a haven for smuggling and has a thriving thieves guild.

*Shameless Plug*
    On the Wizard board on the Safeton thread...a discussion of alignment shows how different alignment types can co-exist even under tight control.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: