JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - A question on the calendar
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    A question on the calendar
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:42 pm  
    A question on the calendar

I just recognized that the 1st version of the calendar was 360 days instead of 364, with festivals being 6 days long instead of 7.
    Since the moon phases are precise, I guess that doesn't change the fact that each day happens the same ordinal on the calendar, but just for cruriosity I was thinking which of the day of the week is being dropped in the 6 days version (or maybe festivals don't have named days, it's just "the 1st day of brewfest" and so on.
    What about equinoxes by the way?
    The phases of the moon are identical every year? I would think so but yet it says Celene is full 4 times a year, but not that it happens exactly the same day...
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:25 am  

Good catch, I never noticed that. Subsequently, 1st edition and 2nd edition refer to the festivals of weeks, and even notes events occurring on the 7th of Needfest, etc. I consider 6 days an error subsequently corrected. It sure makes things easier, though I know it does not answer your question.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:51 am  

I've always used 7 days for the festivals. Celene being full at the midpoint of each festival (2nd -4th night) having a 91 day cycle - so yes the same day (Moonday the 3rd). Since Luna only has a 28 day cycle it is full on the same day (Moonday) but on the 3rd, 10th,17th, or 24th day of the month. For all those were-lovers out there it is important to note that both moons are full on the 2nd-4th nights of Richfest! so don't forget the wolfsbane before you head out for a night of carousing.

Last edited by GreyMaus on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:44 pm  

That's a great addition to the thread, GreyMaus! Smile

Now, give us a proper introduction over in the Welcome to Greyhawk forum. Wink

SirXaris

Wed May 01, 2013 6:02 pm  

According to The Adventure Begins, page 39, the moon phases are the same every year. Celene is full on Needfest 4, Growfest 4, Richfest 4, and Brewfest 4. Luna is full on Fireseek 11, Readying 22, Coldeven 11, Planting 4, Flocktime 4, Wealsun 4, Richfest 4, Reaping 25, Goodmonth 25, Harvester 25, Patchwall 18, Ready'reat 18, and Sunsebb 18. The festivals each last a full week.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 02, 2013 5:25 pm  

I figured that since the 3rd,10th, 17th and 24th are called Moonday -that was because those are the days of the full moon falls on but I stand corrected rasgon. Why is it called Moonday then I wonder?
    GreySage

Thu May 02, 2013 6:24 pm  

I started a thread on that subject a little while back: the days of the week.

Last edited by rasgon on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CF Admin

Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:35 am  

Some additional, good work on the phases of the moons as they differ in the calendars from the 1980 folio vs. 1983 box: http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1832443#p1832443

Allan.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: