Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - A small question regarding the Court of the Land (Keoland)
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    A small question regarding the Court of the Land (Keoland)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat May 04, 2013 2:36 am  
    A small question regarding the Court of the Land (Keoland)

If I have understood this correctly, the Council of Niole Dra consists of nobles of the independent realms within Keoland, heads of the guilds and representatives of the secret societies. That's fine, but I find it a bit confusing that the council is so numerous: Approximately 100 members.

Let's see...
    There are 27 independent provinces. That makes 27 council members.
    There are only a few secret societies in Keoland. That makes 3-6 members.
    Now we are still missing almost 70 members. Are they all just guild people? I appreciate the fact that Keoland is big, but I can't see them having more than 30 guilds. I'm assuming that the guilds are national and not per province. If they are per province, it's still problematic: Every province has a Blacksmiths' Guild and each is represented. That's already 27 blacksmiths in the council!

Can you help me to understand what sort of members the council really has? The description of the council gives me the impression of a small council, less than 40 members, but one hundred seems a bit excessive...

My suggestion is the following:
    27 nobles of the independent realms.
    35 guildmasters of the national guilds.
    6 representatives of secret societies.
    25 Oeridian noble houses, one representative each (this number is fixed).
    A total of 93 council members.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat May 04, 2013 5:52 am  

Every province actually has 2 votes. Suel and oerdian houses then have additional votes (4 Suel houses with 8 total votes, 2 oerdian houses with 6 total votes).

Various areas: Hill Kingdon, Sylvan Kingdom,

Various Groups: Silent Ones, Sea mages, Dreadwalkers, Noble Guilds, Royal Guilds, Military, other LG meta orgs - one vote each

Other allied areas: Bissel, Celene, the Uleks, Geoff, Gran March, etc, some with more than 1 vote.

A total of 104 seats total, according to my Keoland LG spreadsheet.

Hope that helps, feel free to contact me if you want more information.

Dave Guerrieri,
    Former Keoland Triad
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat May 04, 2013 8:23 am  

Or you could take another approach. Within the provinces shown on the map in the Kingdom of Keoland document, there could be numerous independent fiefs and holdings ruled by independent nobles who are only responsible to the King. Take the Duchy of Gradsul as an example. That's a big area; there could be a number of minor counties, earldoms, baronies, and knight's holdings tucked in there whose rulers are tenants-in-chief, and not responsible to the Duke of Gradsul. You can just make them up as needed.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat May 04, 2013 9:09 am  

Thyrnbryn wrote:
    Suel and oerdian houses then have additional votes (4 Suel houses with 8 total votes, 2 oerdian houses with 6 total votes).

Oerdian or Oeridian?
    Now you raised a terrible doubt in me!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat May 04, 2013 9:43 am  

Thyrnbryn wrote:
    Every province actually has 2 votes. Suel and oerdian houses then have additional votes (4 Suel houses with 8 total votes, 2 oerdian houses with 6 total votes).

Various areas: Hill Kingdon, Sylvan Kingdom,

Various Groups: Silent Ones, Sea mages, Dreadwalkers, Noble Guilds, Royal Guilds, Military, other LG meta orgs - one vote each

Other allied areas: Bissel, Celene, the Uleks, Geoff, Gran March, etc, some with more than 1 vote.

A total of 104 seats total, according to my Keoland LG spreadsheet.

Hope that helps, feel free to contact me if you want more information.

Dave Guerrieri,
    Former Keoland Triad

Well... Ohhh... WOW! This is just too much! Thank you very much Thyrnbryn! A great piece of information, truly!

smillan_31 wrote:
    Or you could take another approach. Within the provinces shown on the map in the Kingdom of Keoland document, there could be numerous independent fiefs and holdings ruled by independent nobles who are only responsible to the King. Take the Duchy of Gradsul as an example. That's a big area; there could be a number of minor counties, earldoms, baronies, and knight's holdings tucked in there whose rulers are tenants-in-chief, and not responsible to the Duke of Gradsul. You can just make them up as needed.

I know, but this would be deviating from canon. In canon, only the independent realms have votes and they are few. I could easily adopt the style that you proposing, no problem, but I just like to have things according to canon and Greywiki. Let's see...
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: