JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Fame and Renown
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Fame and Renown
    Paladin

Fri May 10, 2013 8:14 pm  
    Fame and Renown

I started to post this in the general, but since I am questing for how to manage specifically to a 3.5e I decided to go here with it.
    I am toying with the idea of some sort of "Skill" or "Stat" that would allow the characters to develop Fame (or infamy) and Renown. This would increase as the PC and their deeds become more widely known. The PC can then utilize this "skill" to modify their influence with merchants, gather information, dealing with local nobles, etc.
    I see the range being something like Individual, Group, Local, Regional, National, etc.
    Do any of you do something like this? and if so how do you manage the mechanics for it? And even if its not specific to 3.5 guidelines I will happily cannibalize. Evil Grin
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon May 13, 2013 10:33 am  
    Re: Fame and Renown

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    I started to post this in the general, but since I am questing for how to manage specifically to a 3.5e I decided to go here with it...

Do any of you do something like this? and if so how do you manage the mechanics for it? And even if its not specific to 3.5 guidelines I will happily cannibalize. Evil Grin

-I do it informally, but with inspiration from D&D 3.5 Unearthed Arcana, which has a variant formal rule for fame.
    GreySage

Mon May 13, 2013 12:38 pm  

Two similar systems that you may research for ideas on how to implement your own may be found in Iuz the Evil (infamy) and The Savage Tide AP from Dungeon Magazine (influence with noble houses and other economic/political organizations).

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Mon May 13, 2013 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Paladin

Mon May 13, 2013 12:53 pm  

thanks for the tip James, must have overlooked that variant....
    There is surprisingly little on this topic Being an Ole School your renown was intermixed with your new name level ie cutpurse, brigand, defender, etc, till one reached Named Level becoming a "lord" Ahhh the good ole days....
    Have thought about re-instating the level naming, but was also looking into other ways to incorporate, ie Skill or Feat (since now marooned in 3.5)

have found these limited pieces:
    http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Leadership
    and this
    http://dungeonsmaster.com/2011/01/dd-encounters-dd-fortune-cards/
    which seems like ANOTHER WOC Money grab.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue May 14, 2013 11:40 am  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    ...There is surprisingly little on this topic Being an Ole School your renown was intermixed with your new name level ie cutpurse, brigand, defender, etc, till one reached Named Level becoming a "lord" Ahhh the good ole days....
    Have thought about re-instating the level naming, but was also looking into other ways to incorporate, ie Skill or Feat (since now marooned in 3.5)...

-In hindsight, that was a tad artificial. There's no reason that, just because you made 9th level fighter, that the other bigshots have to recognize you. You can still be spending your day digging ittigation ditches, although I'd asume there'd be better job offers than that. OTOH, you could easily become a lord while you were still 1st level. IRL, if you had to wait until 9th level to become a big shot, most people would die about 6 or 7 levels short. Laughing
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:41 pm  

I know I'm a little late to the game here, but, I thought I would throw in my thoughts on the topic, too.

As far as the actual "fame" stat goes, when I've used it, I - like James - use the variant from Unearthed Arcana, more or less. I've tweaked it once or twice to try other things fitting into a home game.

Also, the "Affiliation" score used in the Savage Tide Adventure Path, I also believe was the same system that originally was set forth in chapter seven of the PHBII. I *really* liked those, ALOT.

Lastly, on the topic of someone getting famous enough to reach a "name" level ... The "Leadership" feat was linked above, which is taken at 6th level, and is when someone starts getting followers. Now, a player is allowed to decide that their character is not the sort who'd have them, and can instead use the feat slot to choose something else. If they *do* want it, then it's pretty much inline with the older editions.
    ALSO, though, the one that most people don't know about, is the "LANDLORD" feat. It's pretty much the same way as Leadership - except that it's what gets a mage their tower, or a fighter their castle, ranger their fort, what have you. I think that it can be taken at ninth level, if memory serves. It can be found in the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook. If you ask me, it's an awesome resource, and being a landed lord is something that most players want to get for being famous. :)
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Paladin

Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:55 am  
    Re: Fame and Renown

jamesdglick & Icarus wrote:

-I do it informally, but with inspiration from D&D 3.5 Unearthed Arcana, which has a variant formal rule for fame.

looking over those,, and through further digging, I also re-discovered some (2e?) ideas within Item #2015 Oriental Adventures which have chapters defining Ancestry (p33) Birthrights(p34) and Honor (p35). Although these are mostly set within a caste system and asian in flavor, but do have some interesting ideas. Are any aware of these being converted into a 3.5 format?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: