Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Help me design a deity of adventure!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Help me design a deity of adventure!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:39 pm  
    Help me design a deity of adventure!

I was thinking about writing an adventure where player characters work together to resurrect a dead (sleeping?) god. This deity would be a former god of adventure, and patron of all adventurers (Note: Not a racial deity), whether good or evil. He might be Neutral or Chaotic Neutral.
    I’d like to come up with an origin for the god and reason why he/she died. This will naturally reflect on the manner of resurrection.

Voting is divided into two parts.

1. Origin of the deity
    a. Ancient Flan deity (like Earth Dragon)
    b. Western Oerik or non-Flanaess deity (please suggest origin)
    c. Bastard of Kord
    d. Parent/sibling of a known deity
    e. The first and only ascended celestial paragon (A former member of Court of Stars, rulers of the eladrin)
    f. Fairly young ascended mortal, whose godhood was shortlived.

2. Cause of death/falling asleep
    a. Killed by another deity
    b. Killed by mortals
    c. Worshippers and temples destroyed
    d. For some reason extremely unpopular from the start
    e. Wrong time and place (virtually no adventurers existed at the time)
    f. Too strange to be worshipped (eg. ascended Ogre Mage or Far Realm origin).

I have too many ideas about the deity, so please give your opinion and brainstorm with me. Writing an article is an option too.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:54 pm  

I like the bastard of Kord idea just because it's said that there are a lot of them, but I don't think any are named. And it would be very appropriate for a god of adventure.
    GreySage

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:02 pm  

Kelizan -- God of Skill, Perseverance, Victory, and Fruitful Endeavours -- True Neutral (Lawful tendencies) -- Male -- Lesser God. Father of Zilchus and Kurell, he was killed by his wife Toreun, goddess of secrets, intrigue, messengers, liars, and thieves, who had been having an affair with Erythnul. Kelizan and Toreun were created by the Gargoyle and originally posted to the Greytalk mailing list, though their family relationships and fates were something I made up.

If you download the free Original Petty Gods PDF, possible deities of adventure might include:

Dekardinis, God of the Ten Foot Pole. A demigod servant of Fharlanghn, he died when he accidentally activated a trap eleven feet away.

Ellsbeth, Goddess of Damsels in Distress. A daughter of Zilchus and Sotillion. She died after getting herself in trouble one too many times, so that even Heironeous was no longer willing to rescue her.

King Under the Mountain, God of the Oppressed. A specific ancient king, identified with a particularly beloved Aerdi or Keoish monarch and thought to be sleeping under a hill or mountain. Possibly the Good Hills. An ally of that one god who sleeps under the Drachensgrabs.

Nwee, God of Boredom. A former servant of Lendor, he was struck down by his patron for causing too much trouble.

Rosartia, Goddess of Things Long Forgotten. Alone on the demiplane of forgotten things, she has herself become forgotten by the rest of the world, but she waits with many important artifacts for the time when they are fated to return to the world.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:35 pm  

Before going to sleep, I'd like to suggest a background story (just to get the ideas rolling):

The god of adventure is a bastard son of Kord. However, he was considerably weaker than his father. Kord was ashamed of his son, and refused to acknowledge him.
    The half-deity went to speak with other gods and asked them to sponsor his ascension to divinity. He was inspired to become a deity of adventure, because he shared his father wanderlust and thirst for quests.

Surprisingly, Boccob took him under his wings. He taught him many things and the young half-deity became a learned man. Not only did Boccob see his potential, but the greybearded Archmage of Gods also felt attraction towards the young man.

When he finally revealed his feelings, the young man turned him down. Boccob, for the first time in his divine life, became angry and cancelled his godhood (he was a hero-deity at the time). No one ever found out what had happened, but from there on Boccob was called the Uncaring. Not that he was that warm and loving before, but from there on he was cold as ice. And still, of all the gods, he is the least interested of the affairs of men.

Did I go too far? Please don't kill me.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:23 pm  

I new and fresh, I'll give you that! Laughing

Actually, I like it. The only thing that doesn't fit for me is it being Boccob. But that's because I picture him as a big god, who has always been The Uncaring. I rank him as something almost like the one of the Greek protogenoi. Maybe a different god?
    GreySage

Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:41 pm  

My initial thought for such a god was that of an early mortal being that managed to ascend to demi-god status. Such a feat made all the original gods feel threatened, so they bound, or killed him, and hid his body away. Never-the-less, more motrals followed in that first ascended one's footsteps and the original gods gave up trying to prevent the ascention of new gods. Unfortunately, none of them had any desire (mostly out of spite) to resurrect the first demi-god they had destroyed in thier futile attempt to keep immortality to themselves.

SirXaris

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:26 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    I new and fresh, I'll give you that! Laughing

Actually, I like it. The only thing that doesn't fit for me is it being Boccob. But that's because I picture him as a big god, who has always been The Uncaring. I rank him as something almost like the one of the Greek protogenoi. Maybe a different god?

In this case we should pause and consider if "uncaring" and "asexual" are synonyms :) I know that this is not exactly what you meant Smillan - I'm just making a note.

Sir Xaris's idea is just brilliant. The best thing about it is that it makes perfect sense and it's not that complicated. It's a believable and straightforward background story.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:26 pm  

Sutemi wrote:
    In this case we should pause and consider if "uncaring" and "asexual" are synonyms :) I know that this is not exactly what you meant Smillan - I'm just making a note.

Hah! I should have said The Uncaring About Getting Laid. Wink
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:14 am  

Sutemi wrote:
    ...The god of adventure is a bastard son of Kord. However, he was considerably weaker than his father. Kord was ashamed of his son, and refused to acknowledge him...

-How do you mean "weaker"? By definition, any son of Kord's is likely to have a lower strength score. IIRC Lakofka'a article in Dragon (#80s? I'll check) had them in the 18-20 STR range (AD&D1 style); Kord isn't necessarily ashamed of them. It does state that he doesn't tolerate lawful or evil offspring, but he's either N or CN, so that doesn't apply.

I actually considering allowing a long-term player to have a PC who was a son of Kord, still starting at 1st level, but with high stats (Bob was a STR freak), and a potential to deity-hood. But I haven't seen Bob in years, so...

SirXaris wrote:
    My initial thought for such a god was that of an early mortal being that managed to ascend to demi-god status. Such a feat made all the original gods feel threatened, so they bound, or killed him, and hid his body away. Never-the-less, more motrals followed in that first ascended one's footsteps and the original gods gave up trying to prevent the ascention of new gods. Unfortunately, none of them had any desire (mostly out of spite) to resurrect the first demi-god they had destroyed in thier futile attempt to keep immortality to themselves.

-He's now one of Iuz's soul husks... Evil Grin

Sutemi wrote:
    ...The half-deity went to speak with other gods and asked them to sponsor his ascension to divinity. He was inspired to become a deity of adventure, because he shared his father wanderlust and thirst for quests.

Surprisingly, Boccob took him under his wings. He taught him many things and the young half-deity became a learned man. Not only did Boccob see his potential, but the greybearded Archmage of Gods also felt attraction towards the young man.

When he finally revealed his feelings, the young man turned him down. Boccob, for the first time in his divine life, became angry and cancelled his godhood (he was a hero-deity at the time). No one ever found out what had happened, but from there on Boccob was called the Uncaring. Not that he was that warm and loving before, but from there on he was cold as ice. And still, of all the gods, he is the least interested of the affairs of men...

-So many themes:

"Hell hath no fury...",

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell..."

Sutemi wrote:
    ...Did I go too far? Please don't kill me.

-Yes.

You did.

My assassination team is on its way to Finland... Laughing

Sutemi wrote:
    ...When he finally revealed his feelings, the young man turned him down. Boccob, for the first time in his divine life, became angry and cancelled his godhood (he was a hero-deity at the time)...

-That sounds like an expected quid pro quo. That's a sexual harassment lawsuit in the making.

Who would be the lawyers? Shocked
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: