JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Harpy Charm
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Harpy Charm
    GreySage

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:42 am  
    Harpy Charm

2nd edition has made these nasty crone-fowl pretty foul indeed (excuse the obvious pun), primarily by increasing their HD but their Charming powers are what makes them so deadly. Not only is their singing ability dangerous, but their touch has a charming ability, too.

Question 1: If you save successfully vs. the singing Charm attack, are you likewise immune to the touch-based attack from the same harpy?

Unsure about this one myself...

Question 2: Wouldn't a damaging attack from the harpy grant the victim a bonus to resist the Charming effects?

I'd think so... This doesn't necessarily make the power useless, as a harpy could employ a non-damaging, touch-related 'attack" and hoist the subdued victim aloft and drop them from a great height.

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:06 pm  
    Re: Harpy Charm

Lanthorn wrote:
    Question 1: If you save successfully vs. the singing Charm attack, are you likewise immune to the touch-based attack from the same harpy?

Using the example of 3rd ed. clarification, I'd suggest that, since these are two different kinds of attacks (simply having the same effect), that immunity to one does not grant immunity to another.

Generally, in 3e, once a PC has saved vs. such an attack, that PC is immune to more of the same attacks by the same creature for the next 24 hours.

Quote:
    Question 2: Wouldn't a damaging attack from the harpy grant the victim a bonus to resist the Charming effects?

Generally, I'd say yes, but that's not a hard and fast rule. Some monster descriptions specifically grant such a bonus on a new save, while some descriptions specifically say that the victim remains listless while being consumed. I'd say that you'll have to make a call here based on how powerful you want your harpies to be.

SirXaris

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:52 pm  
    Re: Harpy Charm

SirXaris wrote:
    Using the example of 3rd ed. clarification, I'd suggest that, since these are two different kinds of attacks (simply having the same effect), that immunity to one does not grant immunity to another.

Generally, in 3e, once a PC has saved vs. such an attack, that PC is immune to more of the same attacks by the same creature for the next 24 hours.

The 2e description clearly states that victims who save from the singing Charm are immune from that harpy's vocal attack thereafter. It is not helpful or descriptive, though, about being immune to touch-delivered charming attacks. Confused

Quote:

Generally, I'd say yes, but that's not a hard and fast rule. Some monster descriptions specifically grant such a bonus on a new save, while some descriptions specifically say that the victim remains listless while being consumed. I'd say that you'll have to make a call here based on how powerful you want your harpies to be.

UGH. Shocked What a horrid way to die! Yeah, the overall gist I get is that the touch-Charm attack renders the victim pretty much inert. Although I know that monster-related Charms are stronger than spell variations by casters (cleric and wizard alike), the Player's Handbook says that there is a +1 bonus per point of damage inflicted by the attacker applied to saves for the victim against the Charm. At least this applies to the Charm Person spell, so not sure if it holds true for harpy charming, too, but I think it is a reasonable rule.

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:48 am  

Read more betterer. Wink

2E Monstrous Compendium:

Quote:
    The touch of a harpy upon a charmed individual has a similar, though somewhat less potent, effect. Those who are touched and miss their saving throw versus spell will stand mesmerized for 20+1d10 hours. The effect of either charm is broken if the harpy is slain.

So, the touch of a harpy has NO effect upon an individual that has not already been charmed by her voice. If an individual is under the effect of this type of charm, and the harpy attacks and does damage to them, the charm would be broken. Being "charmed" and "mesmerized" are two different things really, and being mesmerized seems a lesser thing, so I would be more forgiving and allow the mesmerized effect to be cancelled out not only by damaging them, but also by slapping or violently shaking them. If a target is released from the effect, that doesn't mean that the harpy couldn't just start singing and set the whole process in motion again though.

As to the singing charm, it is not a regular charm effect:

Quote:
    The song of the harpies has the ability to charm all humans and demihumans who hear it (elves are resistant to the charm). Those who fail their saving throw versus spell will proceed towards the harpy with all possible speed, only to stand entranced while the harpy slays them at its leisure. This charm will last as long as the harpy continues to sing. Harpies can sing even while engaged in melee.

So, yes, a charmed individual will literally just sit there while a harpy dismembers them with her talons, just so long as she is able to keep singing and maintain the effect. The harpy doing damage to the affected individual does not break the charm. If the harpy's singing stops, or is stopped, for any reason, the singing charm is broken.

Last edited by Cebrion on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:18 am; edited 2 times in total
    GreySage

Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:26 am  

You do read betterer... Happy

Thanks for the clarification and finer literacy. Wink

ever charming,

-Lanthorn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: