JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - 0 Level NPCs
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition
    0 Level NPCs
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:52 pm  
    0 Level NPCs

1) Treasure Hunt allowed 0 level types to earn 500 XP, then become 1st level. Did that ever become standard? It's a little like the 0 level Cavalier starting at -500 XP (or was it -1,500 XP?).

2) Did they ever create rules for an official O level Cleric or a 0 Level Druid (the blacksmith in Hommlet is a 0 level Druid, IIRC)?

I always used Men-at-arms w/4-7hp (1d10) and 3 weapon proficiencies as "0 level Fighters).
    Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:18 pm  

1. I like it, but, no it's not standard. 0-level cavaliers require 1500 XP to reach 1st level; 0-level MUs and illusionists need 2000 XP.
    2. No.
    3. Sounds good to me.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:39 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    1. I like it, but, no it's not standard. 0-level cavaliers require 1500 XP to reach 1st level; 0-level MUs and illusionists need 2000 XP.
    2. No.
    3. Sounds good to me.

-Now that you mention it, where does the 2,000 XP for 0 level MUs/Illusionists come from? I may have seen it in a Dragon.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:58 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:
    -Now that you mention it, where does the 2,000 XP for 0 level MUs/Illusionists come from? I may have seen it in a Dragon.
    Unearthed Arcana, p. 45
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:23 am  

DMPrata wrote:
    jamesdglick wrote:
    Unearthed Arcana, p. 45

-Is that in the section under Cantrips?
    Master Greytalker

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:45 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:
    Yes.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:00 am  

D&D 3.5 to AD&D1 translation?

The middle-aged adept of Phyton did well with his long-deceased parents’ land is a newlywed, and carries on his father and grandfather’s role as an adept of Phyton for [insert village name here]. He genuinely enjoys gardening. Normally, he only leaves the farm or shrine if seeing a member of his flock. Since his grandfather’s time, the adepts have tried to get a fully trained cleric/priest for the village, but they’re still waiting...

D&D3X: Male human Adp1 (748 XP, reaches Adp2 in CY 591): HD 1d6+0; hp 6; AL NG (CG); Str 10, Dex 10, Con 11, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 11. Appearance: 5ft. 4in., 136lb., 40 yrs., wavy light brown hair, black eyes, light tan skin, Com 9. Skills: Handle Animal +1, Knowledge (Nature: Gamboge) +2 + Int = +3, Knowledge (Religion: Phyton) +1 + Int = +2, Profession (Gardner) +4 + Wis = +5, Profession (Stockman) +4 + Wis = +5, Survival +4 + Wis + SS =+7. Languages: Flann (native), Common (basic). Feats: Negotiator [Diplomacy +2, Sense Motive +2], Self-Sufficient [Heal +2, Survival +2]; working to learn the Scimitar. Spells Prepared: 0- cure minor wounds [cure 1 hp], guidance [+1 on a roll], purify food and drink; 1- cure light wounds [cure 1d8+1 hp], burning hands [ might substitute spells under the following conditions: comprehend languages if planning to meet a non-Flann speaker; endure elements if outdoors, and the temp. is over 100 degrees or lower than 20 degrees F; detect evil if he’s suspicious of someone whose alignment he’d like to check].

AD&D1: 0 level Cleric (-242 XP; will not make 1st level until long after CY 591): HD 1d6+0; hp 6, AL NG (CG); Str 12, Dex 11, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 10, Com 10. Possible Proficiencies/Skills: Literate, Light Crossbow, Gardner, Animal Husbandman, Survivalist. Substitute Burning Hands spell for Light spell for its offensive capabilities.

The original AD&D1 DMG had a skill list instead of proficiencies, which were introduced with the Wilderness Survival Guide and the Dungeoneer's Survival Guide. They basically meant the same thing, but it was more codified with proficiencies.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:36 pm  
    Greyhawk Adventures

There are 0 level scenarios in the GREYHAWK ADVENTURES book. I believe it gives different XP requirements than N1. I also recall that it's all optional. I think the only non-optional "rule" was for the Cavalier in UNEARTHED ARCANA.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:24 pm  
    Re: Greyhawk Adventures

Raymond wrote:
    There are 0 level scenarios in the GREYHAWK ADVENTURES book. I believe it gives different XP requirements than N1. I also recall that it's all optional. I think the only non-optional "rule" was for the Cavalier in UNEARTHED ARCANA.

-DM Prata (above mentioned the XP needed for 0 level MUs (apprentices).

I eventually used a combination of N4 Treasure Hunt and UA rules for making 1st level through experience and GA for training your way up. That way all those hirelings, followers, and locals could get promoted from red shirt to mauve shirt. Wink [/i]
    Paladin

Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:26 pm  
    Re: Greyhawk Adventures

jamesdglick wrote:
    That way all those hirelings, followers, and locals could get promoted from red shirt to mauve shirt. Wink

That might help survivability, but till they get a last name they are TOAST.... mahhaaahaaaa
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:44 pm  
    Cantrips

jamesdglick wrote:
    DMPrata wrote:
    jamesdglick wrote:
    Unearthed Arcana, p. 45

So presumably, a 0 level MU/Illusionist would be an apprentice with the ability to cast cantrips, but not 1st level spells. That might make an interesting curiosity to introduce to my players' party at one point, a 0 level illusionist or something.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: