Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Control Temperature...fixed, or static?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Control Temperature...fixed, or static?
    GreySage

Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:38 am  
    Control Temperature...fixed, or static?

When a cleric casts the Control Temperature, 10' radius spell, can that priest adjust the temperature at will (but always in the same direction of change...meaning always going up to increase it, or always going down to reduce it) OR is it a fixed change, one time only?

Example: a priest of Fharlanghn wishes to drop the temperature around him. Once the spell is cast, the priest drops it to 30 degrees F. Can he then, within the active duration of the spell, drop it further yet, if he so chooses? Or not?

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:09 pm  

The priest can raise or lower the temperature, by any amount within their caster limit, during the duration of the spell. The added protection against extremes will only work against what the current temperature of the spell is set to do- lowered temps will result in heat damage reduction, raised temps in cold damage reduction.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:51 am  

Thanks for your input, Ceb.

This situation just came up during my last game, and it did pertain to a priest of Fharlanghn, who wanted to use a 'cloak' of icy cold temperatures to shield him. He was fighting lizard men, and intended to use freezing cold as a weapon. The priest himself had cast a spell protecting himself from cold so he wouldn't fall victim to the chilling aura he was radiating. VERY clever, I thought!

The big question that followed between the player and myself was whether his priest could adjust the temperature around him, or if it was FIXED and set. I had to make a DM's call and ruled it was set, but figured I should fire off the question for other opinions. Glad I did, for it seems, by your interpretation, that he CAN fluctuate it at will so long as his level and the duration both permit.

Follow-up question: If the priest selects to reduce (or raise, depending on choice) the temperature, can the priest ONLY go down in temperature, or is it permissible for the cleric to raise it as well, so long as the adjusting temperature does not go above the original?

Example: the priest (7th lvl, if it matters) in the earlier example chooses to reduce the temperature around him, plunging it from a cool 40 degrees to a frigid 0 degrees F. He is protected from it, as a sidenote.
    Could this priest raise the temperature above the newly chosen 0 degrees back to the original 40 degrees (or anything in between) if he so chose, OR can he ONLY reduce the temperature?

My player and I have a difference of opinion on this. I will share later.

thank you,

Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:44 pm  

What I means is, if the current temperature is 40 degree, and the priest can raise/lower the temperature by 70 degrees, then for the duration of the spell the priest can vary the temperature anywhere from - 30 degrees to 110 degrees.

On second thought, I would allow the priest to influence any sort of incoming damage, no matter their current temperature setting, meaning that even if the priest is cooling the area, and it is hit with a cold spell, the priest immediately counters it with a warming effect, thus lessening the extreme cold damage by 5 points per level of the priest countering the extreme cold attack. The main reason I would allow it is because this is not a spell that is required to be set as either a "hot version" or a "cold version" like some others. This spell simply allows the priest to keep the area more comfortable (well, that is what they will usually do, but there are reasons not to), which means they can lessen the effect of either extreme of temperature in the spell's are of effect, if they wish.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:57 pm  

Actually, I am under the impression that the spell is set to a 'cold' or 'hot' setting, given the description of the material components (see page 217):

"The material component for this spell is a strip of willow bark (to lower temperatures) or raspberry leaves (to raise temperatures)."

Additionally, the spell description is riddled with "or" statements, as opposed to "and/or" statements.

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:55 am  

The description doesn't really imply it overtly, but you are right in that the material components certainly do. So, go with what I said first.

As to the "or" bit, that doesn't help with clarity, as there are many things with "or" in their descriptions that allow for both options, such as levitate

"Sorry dude. I chose the "up" version of the levitate spell. I can only do up or down, not up and down, or better still up and/or down, so I can't lower you back down from that 200 foot height you are now at. Looks like you are going to experience terminal velocity in your near future." Laughing
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: