JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Battle of the Settings on ENWorld
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Battle of the Settings on ENWorld
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:07 pm  
    Battle of the Settings on ENWorld

Hopefully posting a link to another board is Ok - I figure you folks might be interested.

If you have an ENWorld account, their is a tournament style "best D&D setting" going on at ENWorld. Its the final vote - Greyhawk vs. Planescape. GH is winning at the moment, but their is an oddly large Planescape fanbase there.

So get your Chicago on and Vote Early, Vote Often.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?349736-Settings-Tournament-Round-5-Finals!-Greyhawk-vs-Planescape
    GreySage

Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:26 pm  

Voted: Greyhawk all the way! Happy

SirXaris

Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:42 pm  

I never considered Planescape to be a setting at all, seeing as all *WORLDS* (which is what a setting is) have the Planes in common.

So, I voted for Greyhawk only for that reason. Yeah, that's it. Laughing

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:06 am  

Thanks for the post Amerigov, cast my vote for Greyhawk too! Happy
    Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:27 am  

Strong turn out for Greyhawk. I wasn't worried.

They said for years the GH fanbase is fractured but I'm not so sure that applies anymore. With so many other genres and RPGs to choose from these days, it's remarkable how the nostalgic power of GH keeps it relevant and celebrated in today's D&D culture.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:42 am  

It is no accident that Canonfire! has had more page views this year than it had in its first EIGHT years COMBINED. Shocked Cool

Long live Greyhawk!

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:09 am  

It's funny to see some of the commenters there genuinely baffled as to why Greyhawk is doing so well in the voting. Happy

Joe / GG
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:23 am  

Nice little lead going on there! Go Greyhawk!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:22 pm  

One thing that strikes me about EnWorld is I rarely see much discussion about gameworlds. Seeing the poll kinda confirms it - ENworld is rather large yet there are less than 200 respondents after a number of days. But if there is any vibe, I have always sensed a bit of a Greyhawk one. So good to see it winning.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:02 pm  

Missed the vote Cry It's not like it was a nail biter anyway! Evil Grin
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:17 am  
    Greyhawk WINS!

So I posted a little diddy at the end of the discussion (username: Alizaire). I posited this idea:

If they would reprint the old classic greyhawk content and first edition / 2nd Edition modules into 3.5 and 4th Edition conversions. I think they would make a M.I.N.T. and it would rekindle interest in the Greyhawk setting without having to do much work on their end.

It would be a GODSEND to DM's everywhere who are thinking of converting to or already running Greyhawk in 3.5 Edition. What a time saver. I think it would be a smart idea as giving people options as to what system they want to play their favorite world in makes it more accessible to more players.

My 2 cents anyway.
    GreySage

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:43 am  
    Re: Greyhawk WINS!

Dredd wrote:
    If they would reprint the old classic greyhawk content and first edition / 2nd Edition modules into 3.5 and 4th Edition conversions. I think they would make a M.I.N.T. and it would rekindle interest in the Greyhawk setting without having to do much work on their end.

I agree, Dredd. And such conversions are something I would happily pay for as I lack the time necessary to do them myself. And, though I use the Pathfinder rules system in my current campaign, it would be no problem to use a 3.5e conversion of those classic modules- certainly easier than trying to use the AD&D versions.

SirXaris

Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:47 pm  
    Ultimate Conversion from TSR v0-v2.5 into WotC v3.5

Honestly and for true?
    You would really wish to have the Greyhawk modules---as in editions 0 to 2.5-ish, hei? updated to v3.5?
    ...the v3.5 edition from The Wizard$ of The ¢a$h, that v3.5---within which the 'normal' (uh, racial... uh, species... ) class for Gnomes is morphed into 'Bard'?
    It is not chaotic enough that Tinker-Gnomes are being demi-trafficked from Krynn to all over the Prime Material, by some Iggwilvian method (involving Arcane Helms and soul-husks)??!!!---but No! you actually WANT them breaking into ballads (or some other sonic frequency guaranteed to sterilize bullywugs at 50 paces), TOO???!!!
    Can you not be satisfied with throwing, say, packs of Taresques at Under-LVL 3 (or less) PCs like normal psychopathic DMs???
    ...oh the humanity...
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:18 am  

I know it is a mortal sin for companies to make money, but The Wizard$ of The ¢a$h" could no only already be offering conversions for anything and everything, in any and every game edition that has been made, but they would be offering digital versions of all of it on iTunes and every other format. Well, at least they have D&D Insider, which has that money going directly into their pockets and not large portions of it into those of middle men. Still, there is a lot of low-hanging fruit that The Wizard$ of The ¢a$h could be picking, but which they are not.

By the way, did I mention that I hate the PRIU$? Why? Because Toyota is just trying to get me to give THEM more money instead of the oil companies! What jerks! Oh, yeah, right. It's all about the environment. Therefore I hate Toyota. Okay, the real reason I hate Toyota is only because they won't make me a PRIU$ SUV, AND I WANT ONE OF THOSE!!! Laughing
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: