Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - U_B's 2014 Art Post!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    U_B's 2014 Art Post!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:07 pm  
    U_B's 2014 Art Post!

Also, if this is not the right subforum for this, sorry. The general forum seems to be the busiest... so...

Last year I really dedicated myself to drawing D&D cardstock figures. They were not planned as figures initially, nor were they ever even meant to be colored digitally. Either way, that became my art focus last year. I drew a lot of cool things in my opinion, and a lot of stinker things that I groan about now whenever I look at them.

Let's take a look at the comparisons. Choker, Mohrg, Manscorpion, and troll! 2013 image, followed by this year's image.

I look forward to posting up some more stuff as I finish. Tell me what you guys think!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:55 am  

While they don't remind me of the works from the masters like Easley, Elmore, Caldwell or Parkinson and others, there is a certain Saturday morning cartoon allure to them. And while I don't feel they have any place in the WoG (see above mentioned masters or their works), they are far better than anything I could illustrate myself.
    GreySage

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:02 pm  

I enjoy seeing these renditions, U_B. Uptognomegood described them well, using the term 'cartoony'.

You know I prefer your more serious-looking style, like those you did for issue #1 of the Canonfire! Chronicles.

SirXaris

Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:23 pm  

They look great. Cool

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:11 am  

Yeah,

It definitely has a Saturday morning cartoon feel to it. However, I would not say it has no place in the W.O.G. I think your art fit well in Canonfire Chronicles, and that e-zine is chock filled of all things Greyhawk.

Yes, a more serious art approach is nice. However, I remember a certain Greyhawk aficionado who had a long standing web comic series and no one said that art work was not meant for Greyhawk.

So keep up the great work Unemployed Bullywug.

Later

Argon
    Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:49 pm  

I totally dig these creatures. They remind me a lot of the stuff that used to be in Paizo's Dragon/Dungeon magazines. Downer and Zogonia.
    GreySage

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:32 pm  

I love them, which is why I visit his site:

http://hologramzx.deviantart.com/gallery/

Enjoy more of them!

Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:14 pm  

If I were doing a D&D/fantasy game for kids, this is exactly how I'd imagine I'd want the art to look. Maybe you should try to find gaming companies working on something like that to sell to.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:38 pm  

It's nice to get some feedback on these, even if they are a little "cartoony". I suppose it's all about how one envisions the game itself. Being the son of a cartoonist (for reals), I have a cartoony outlook on pretty much everything in general. Other people envision super-realistic stuff. To each their own. ;)

I do, however, want to refer to this picture from way back in the 1st edition Player's Handbook:

Now that the dancing Umber Hulk is out of the way, here's some more stuff! This time a Balor and VECNA. This is my first stab at drawing anything deity-ish.

Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:20 pm  

I really like the facial expression on the Balor. The Vecna piece needs a caption. "Anyone got an extra hand?" "Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye."

Later

Argon
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:07 am  

Stick with the OGL stuff, and maybe you can make action figures/key chain fobs for these. Happy

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:47 am  

I like these two very much as they seem intimidating despite being cartoony.

The skull clasp on the Balor's loincloth doesn't appear happy about its predicament. Razz

SirXaris

Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:51 pm  

Last edited by BlueWitch on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:09 pm  

BlueWitch wrote:

I told him not to get that Red Rider BB gun! I told him "You'll shoot your eye out kid!"

Laughing
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: