JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Hero Lab?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Hero Lab?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:00 am  
    Hero Lab?

I've been doing a great deal of work in Hero Lab, gearing up for my GH campaign. Does anyone else use HL? I'd be willing to share my files.
    Paladin

Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:51 pm  

After a 10 year sabbaticall I have resurrected my campaign and am also looking at Hero Lab too. They caught my interest from their compatability with D20 Pro and the potential release of their Realm Works support for campaigns... (not an affiliate of any of these by the way LOL)
    I am in process of migrating from 2e to 3.5 with a light mix of pathfinder based on my reading so far.
    So in support of that narrative, I (with others) are in process of generating a gazetteer update for GH and I hope to platform some pieces into those electronic support elements. Items such as random Monsters / NPCs by region, Language index by regions, calandars, etc.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:05 pm  

Should you want my files (created with the full Pathfinder HL implementation) I'm happy to share.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:43 pm  

I have never heard of hero lab. I am a paper and pen guy. Till the ink runs dry! Actually I would probably look at it but I'm quite happy with my current way of doing things.

Later

Argon
    Paladin

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:55 pm  

jephkay wrote:

Should you want my files (created with the full Pathfinder HL implementation) I'm happy to share.

Would be happy to look, and if your really interested in sharing Argon, Mystic Scholar, or Cebrion could certainly be able to aid you in where / how to post it for all to share.

Argon wrote:
    I have never heard of hero lab. I am a paper and pen guy. Till the ink runs dry! Actually I would probably look at it but I'm quite happy with my current way of doing things.

Like you I had never heard of it either ( I credit Anna with tipping me in the direction)
    I too am a Paper pen guy, (have every map / note generated from campaign games from 20 years ago!) The appeal I can see is in the ability to generate Character sheets (PC and NPC) with all the varied pluses and minuses for various skills, feats, weapons, etc particularlly when it comes to tabulating all the varied modifiers. Being old school I had most commited to memory in the THACO days, but in the effort to jumpstart my "new campaign" it has been a good aid.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:44 am  

Here, here! I have customized the language table to include GH languages, and added a few Gods as well in a separate file (not many, I think 5 or 6). But if somone else is working on HL files, I'll be glad to see them!
    Besides, some choices are to be made, like cleric domains etc.
    Are you including some regional feats from LGJ as well?
    Paladin

Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:14 am  
    Re: Hero Lab?

jephkay wrote:
    I've been doing a great deal of work in Hero Lab, gearing up for my GH campaign. Does anyone else use HL? I'd be willing to share my files.

Hi jephkay,
    I (and many others Im sure) are anxious to see what you have done with HL... I too have been dabbling abit with it when I can find the time.... just haven't decided to do the D20, Pathfinder, or to go my own design. That is why I am curious to see how you have approached it. I in-vision (someday) a version to support GH in a 3.5 setting.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:19 pm  

I have started to use Hero Lab both as a player in Pathfinder organized play but my idea when i bought my license was to use it for my revived Greyhawk campaign where I use PFRPG rules with some small adaptations.

So now I have made a copy of the Game system (great feature in Hero Lab) so I can have it both for organized play and my GH home campaign. The next step is to start making changes and additions to the content. I don't much more than to find the editor yet, but I'm going to study how to tweak Hero Lab in the coming weeks.

I'm very interested in sharing files to ease the workload and get ideas.

Anna
    Novice

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:38 pm  

Don't know what I did all these years without herolab! It is awesome!
    Paladin

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:38 pm  

its a good program, but still a bit cumbersome in places, and they have piazo on the brain too. Laughing
    Would be nice to see POR files created and templates for more monster types, the ability to add items besides just scrolls, etc. time will tell.
    GreySage

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:00 pm  

I began using HeroLab as an rpg writer and editor and have found it immensely helpful. I use it as a reference sometimes when I don't have the right resource in print and I find that being able to print out NPCs, PCs, and monster stat-blocks and stat-sheets is very useful.

I have noted some errors and omissions that need to be corrected, but that is a work in progress and their updates are all free.

SirXaris

Last edited by SirXaris on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:24 am  

Argon wrote:

Later

Argon

-I saw the title of the thread and thought you were talking about a 4th level Dog Fighter... Wink Razz Laughing
    Paladin

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:39 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    I began using HeroLab as an rpg writer and editor and have found it immensely helpful. I use it as a reference sometimes when I don't have the right resource in print and I find that being able to printing out NPCs, PCs, and monster stat-blocks and stat-sheets is very useful.

I have noted some errors and omissions that need to be corrected, but that is a work in progress and their updates are all free.

SirXaris

Ditto to that, in larger battles it is certainly helpful as well, I just wish the Tactical Console was customizable, Because I would like to display status to PCs with out revealing HPs etc. Further it would also be helpful in a INTRANET environment to have a live link to the files so the DM could put temporary effects to full use in the PCs sheets. W/O such "live" features the best DMs can hope for is utilizing this as an electronic filecabinet.
    Novice

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:55 am  
    Anyone out there got hl files for greyhawk

Looking to use hero lab for a Greyhawk Campaign - anyone help?
    GreySage

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:50 am  
    Re: Anyone out there got hl files for greyhawk

neillwhy wrote:
    Looking to use hero lab for a Greyhawk Campaign - anyone help?

What kind of help are you looking for, neillwhy?

SirXaris

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:27 pm  

I use Hero Lab, for d20/3.5 rules. I just wish it had more customization (magic/feats/skills). I don't use a computer to help with combat (would be nice in large battles). Just the automation in character creation, plus printing that out saves me tons of prep time. Plus it's nice that players don't argue with me when I tell Billy Bob the Cleric he doesn't have a +28 hide because DM lies, HeroLab don't lie! Worth the money for any 'active' DM.
    Paladin

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:44 pm  

Curious as to why you feel that it doesnt allow for customization.. I would haveto disagree...

Although Lone Wolf (the makers of hero lab) don't do a great job defining how todo some things (and some things are cumbersome to create) there is a "tool " that allows for customization.

Go to Tools in Selection Bar at top.
    Select Editor
    Go to File
    Here you can either select a customized file (known as a User File) or create a new one.
    depending on what you are modifiying (creatures or characters)you will get something that looks like this.....

From the tabs you can create magic items, new character types, etc.....
    I have created custom builds for various classes (specific priest types for St Cuthbert, or Monkish Orders for the Scarlet Brotherhood for example)
    With this feature you can add GH Languages for selection, Realm specific Magical items (ie Crook of Rao).
    So it can be done... it is just a bit cumbersome because of a lack of a true tutorial...

DLG
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:15 pm  

I've just recently starting using Hero Lab, and find it IMMENSELY helpful. My only gripe is that we play a Pathfinder game in Greyhawk, and I find myself constantly weeding out deities that don't exist on Oerth. However, as DLG mentioned, there is a file editor that allows all sorts of customization. Such data entry is time consuming, but worth it.
    Paladin

Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:15 am  

unemployed_bullywug wrote:
    I've just recently starting using Hero Lab, and find it IMMENSELY helpful. My only gripe is that we play a Pathfinder game in Greyhawk,

FYI, as I recall Anna uses HL in a pathfinder format as well.... you might concider contacting her for a shared partnership... it may save the both of you a bit of keyboard time by sharing your *.user files and not overlapping your efforts (as you point out, it does take awhile to create the customization). The only real trick there is putting the file into the right folder in order for HL to pick it up when booting. (its a hidden file folder)Just a thought.
    DLG
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:27 am  

@ Dark_Lord_Galen

Thanks for that tip, you would think there would be some site with custom user made files for Hero Lab? Google time & time to play with Hero Lab now....
    Paladin

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:25 am  

electryc wrote:
    @ Dark_Lord_Galen

Thanks for that tip, you would think there would be some site with custom user made files for Hero Lab? Google time & time to play with Hero Lab now....

There is (kinda)
    See Herolabs Forum

It does contain some usful links, but you have to dig for them, as it is mostly a questions / problem solving forum due to the lack of a detailed editing "how to" guide....
    Shadowchemosh & Cheeseweasel are to of the more learned programers on the site with links to their own webpages for the *.user files they have created.....

As well as others (like myself) to a lesser extent... I am on their site as well (moniker the same), but am at no where near the level of their expertise....
    Its best to pair up with some that are utilizing the software in similar fashion,,,
    For Example > Herolab Pathfinder - Greyhawk rule set
    or in my case, Herolab d20 3.5 greyhawk Rule set

BTW Thanks for being my 700th reply Cool
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:51 am  

I'm using Hero Lab and Realm Works. I've recently completed loading most of the Living Greyhawk information into Realm Works. I'll fine tune it as I proceed and add my own story and setting information. I haven't added too much Greyhawk stuff into Herolab. Just a few gods and I took a shot at adding Blackrazor.
    Novice

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:08 am  

I am slowly adding some deities to Hero Lab for my Pathfinder Greyhawk campaign. Willing to share with any who are interested (note that it not very canonical).

I too have got hold of Realworks and would be very interested in how people are organising their data. I really have no idea where to start with this? Organising data in HL user files is bad enough, but thinking about how best to do this in RW is daunting (I am a total noob when thinking about data)
    Novice

Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:22 pm  

Herolab - especially the wonderful free iPad player client - has finally converted my old school DND group (we've been gaming together since 1985) from pen-and-paper character sheets to tablet sheets. This works especially well at higher character levels where activating abilities etc complicates things immensely.

We've never really left WoG and would love to share Greyhawk .user files, especially with God data. Like some others I have not used the HeroLab editor yet but am willing to give it a go...
    Paladin

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:02 pm  

WOW ... 3 years since I posted here.. time flies.... On Herolab, there is good and bad to report.....
    See below

As noted, they seem to still have Pathfinder / Paizo on the brain and this has even all but crushed the realmworks spinoff for a campaign management tool that now lies in the ditch awaiting the infamous "content library (for the last 3 years!) but that is a story for another time. Without the efforts ofthe community, the 3.5e would have probably died.... thats the bad....
    Now for the good...
    After Efforts from mostly from downunder (Screen Name Dami) and a bit of contribution from myself, we have nearly all the GH deities and domains entered and usable in hero lab as selectable for worshipers. Big thanks to Dami for the effort...
    http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57512
    This standalone has since made it to the community files for updating and upload by all. just slide all the way down near the bottom and check the Greyhawk boxes after you update the community file.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xr8pfnl59pa8iaq/GH.png?dl=0

I have passed along several of the Non human sub deities, and am currently working through the GH REgional / Geographical Feats / Skills as noted in Dragon Magazine#315 & #319 so many years ago.

So more for all the GH'ers out there that utilize Herolab.

DLG
    Paladin

Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:04 pm  
    Re: Hero Lab?

jephkay wrote:

Can't Speak for everyone.. but I use it quite a bit ... and have coordinated with the LW crew to push getting it into the auto updates.

As noted below, there are about 85% of the Gods / Domains set into place for HL and I have been coordinating with Dami & ShadowChemosh for an update that will cover the lesser gods listed in Sean Reynolds list of deities for known Demi-human Races, as well as other sources.SReynolds List

I have the Knights of Luna also built as a sub-class, but it is more of a homebrew, since their influence in our campaign extends beyond just Celene. But it could be stripped down for a prestige type class.
    Lastly,
    I have the bulk of the Geographical / Regional GH feats defined as well as I assign them as a bonus (upbringing feat) based on birth place.

Feel Free to IM me further if interested.... Note all of my HL stuff is built for the D20 3.5 e Ruleset. Though could mostly be cannibalized to PF or 5e.

I know Anna's Home Campaign (see her thread here or Her Site) is set up to run utilizing PF rules.. but hard to say what she has for HL, though she is closely affiliated with LW.

DLG
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: