JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Magic Auras and Detecting Them
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Magic Auras and Detecting Them
    GreySage

Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:01 pm  
    Magic Auras and Detecting Them

Here's a question regarding using the Detect Magic spell (or the closely-related 3rd lvl wizard spell, Wizard Sight from the Tome of Magic) to detect various magical auras on people using items vs. using spells:

If a person is using a magical item or device (for instance, a Ring of Protection or Ring of Mind Shielding), does the entire PERSON radiate magic from the device he/she is using, OR is it ONLY the item itself that radiates magic?

As for spell use, I think the whole person radiates magic if, for instance, a protection spell (ex: Protection vs Fire, or Undetectable Alignment) is used. Or am I incorrect on this?

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:33 pm  

A personal spell will have a person radiate magic, as from charm person, protection from evil spells, and similar spells. Items will radiate magic on their own, though many magic items on a single person will be harder to single out, as the auras may not be all that distinguishable, particularly if a target is moving or the caster is not very close to the target and so cannot easily see what auras are where on their person. The caster can still detect intensity, and potentially the type of auras, though intense auras can make lesser ones more difficult to detect, as noted in the spell. As to how much of a factor that might be, that is up to the DM. For instance, a DM might rule that a powerful magical cloak will literally cloak (or greatly confuse) a detect magic spell regarding lesser magical emanations from items worn/carried beneath the cloak.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:00 pm  

Cebrion, I 'get' what you are saying about magical items emanating auras of magic and how they may confound each other's magical auras based on dweomer strength.

What confuses me is whether or not the person using the item (ex: a Ring of Protection, Ring of Mind Shielding, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, etc.) also radiates magic, too, from the item he/she is wearing. Or is it ONLY the item itself that radiates magic, and NOT the wearer, too.

I looked high and low in the 1e and 2e DMG and PHB, but couldn't find anything that stated anything with respect to this question.

-Lanthorn, Aura-Puzzled
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:36 pm  

Just the item would radiate magic, unless it grants an ability that would affect the wearer even after removing the item. For example, if you could use a ring to give yourself Protection from Evil for 1 turn, then you'd radiate magic, as well as the item.

Jeff
    GreySage

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:28 pm  

I agree with Cebrion and Aulddragon.

The target only has a magical aura if they are the one actually radiating the magic. Thus, if a stoneskin or fireshield were cast upon a wizard, he would radiate magic. If the target of the detect magic were simply enjoying the effects of a ring of protection or gauntlets of ogre power, only the item(s) would radiate magic.

I think it becomes a bit more murky, as Aulddragon alluded to, when the target of the spell is enjoying a magical effect that originated from a magical item. For example, if the target of the spell was to use a ring of spell storing to cast mage armor upon himself, both he and the ring would radiate magic to the spell of detection.

Here's one I'm not sure of, though: If a person is invisible due to use of a ring of invisibility, would being invisible prevent a spell-caster from detecting the person's location with a detect magic spell? I would guess that it would for two reasons. First, though invisibility doesn't ward against scrying, it does ward against other forms of sight (infravision, etc.). Second, for game balance, it would be unfortunate to allow a 1st level spell to automatically foil a 2nd level spell (though I am sure there are other examples of this being the case).

SirXaris

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:37 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Here's one I'm not sure of, though: If a person is invisible due to use of a ring of invisibility, would being invisible prevent a spell-caster from detecting the person's location with a detect magic spell? I would guess that it would for two reasons. First, though invisibility doesn't ward against scrying, it does ward against other forms of sight (infravision, etc.). Second, for game balance, it would be unfortunate to allow a 1st level spell to automatically foil a 2nd level spell (though I am sure there are other examples of this being the case).

Well, the easy solution is that they do radiate magic... But being invisible, the caster can't see it. :D

(They'd have to have some other means of seeing or detecting invisible objects to see the radiated magic, in other words.)

Jeff
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:14 pm  

A ring of invisibility affects the wearer, and as such the invisible wearer will radiate magic. Any items will as well. I have actually dealt with this in another post. Detect magic is sort of a poor man's detect invisibility spell, but instead of general vision being affected, the caster can only detect invisible things in the area of the detect magic spell (i.e. a narrow cone), and they only detect a magical emanation "form" in the shape of the invisible thing. There might be other magical "blobs" glowing on form too from magical items, like the ring and anything else powerful enough to stand out from the overall invisibility effect.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:31 am  

I don't remember - in 2nd Ed., does the detect magic spell cause magical items to glow visibly to all viewers, or only to the sight of the spellcaster?

SirXaris

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:25 am  

No, only the caster can see the glow.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:08 pm  

I'd forgotten about this passage on page 120 of the (original) 2e DMG:

"A detect magic shows only the prescence of something magical without pinpointing it exactly. Thus, it cannot be used as a substitute for a detect invisible spell."

Jeff
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:49 pm  

Right, it just shows the presence...over there...ish. There is not enough accuracy to target the invisible thing with a magic missile or other similar effect if just using a detect magic spell. For that you need detect invisibility, glitterdust, or true seeing, or you just frizzle fry the whole area with a lightning bolt/fireball/whatever.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:55 am  

Here's a follow-up question.

I know the spell detects the magical intensity (power) of the spell, but...

1) Is the power of the dweomer based on the level of the SPELL, or

2) Is the power of the dweomer based on the level of the CASTER?

...or a combination of Both?

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:34 pm  

The power of the effect, not the caster. If Vecna casts a protection from good spell, or creates a ring of protection +1, either will still only radiate minor magic.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:39 pm  

I made the same reasoning, but wouldn't the lengthened duration for the more powerful caster have something to do with that? Also, for some spells, the greater the level of the caster the more potent the effect (ex: a Fireball cast by a 5th lvl wizard is less deadly than a 9th lvl wizard, etc.)

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:14 am  

Duration and dice rolled mean nothing, just the level of the magic. A 1st level spell cast by an 18th level archmage radiates lesser magic than a 3rd level spell cast by a 5th level wizard. The only exception to this would be an artifact only capable of lower level magic being compared to a non-artifact capable of higher level magic, in which case the artifact would radiate more powerful magic, but only because it is nigh on indestructible (which is a a powerful, non-leveled magical effect in and of itself).
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: