Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Specialty Priests for Greyhawk Deities(Special Project)
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Specialty Priests for Greyhawk Deities(Special Project)
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:32 am  
    Specialty Priests for Greyhawk Deities(Special Project)

What follows will be entries for the specialty priests of Greyhawk deities that were not covered in the From the Ashes boxed set. I began this project in 1989(just after the 2e players' Handbook came out), so most of these entries were based on the Dragon Magazine articles covering various deities(mainly the Suel deities). This project continued until about 1994. I am now revisiting and finishing the project, just because. With the release of The Scarlet Brotherhood, the specialty priests of the entire Suel pantheon were covered(if only it had come out ten years earlier for me! Arrgh!!!), and while most of these entries are about as simple as mine are, some are even more fully detailed. I highly recommend giving it a look! Cool

My articles were compiled from the source material(references), with additional 2e priest formatting by myself(ie. armor, weapons, spheres, etc.). Much of the writing is taken straight from the reference material; some is paraphrased. I make no claim on the original material. The only credit I take is for putting it together under a 2e specialty priest format. In all instances, I highly recommend you to the original articles if you have them. They are some of the best in my opinion. Enjoy!

P.S.: I'll try to post at least five entries per week, until all of the deity's specialty priests have been covered.

{EDIT] OK. That is just a bit too brutal. I'll do them as I can. Bear with me. Wink By the way, the format I used to make most of the specialty priests is the one presented in the book Player's Options: Spells & Magic.

Last edited by Cebrion on Mon May 19, 2008 12:48 am; edited 7 times in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:32 pm  

Are you going to doing all the pantheons Cebrion? That aside Ive read the first ones and that is some great work.

Maraudar
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:29 am  

I will be doing ALL of the deities not already covered in the From the Ashes boxed set(if I can). After that I will most likely move on to demi-humans or humanoids, as the whim takes me. Here is a list of what order I will be posting the specialty priests of the various deities of the pantheons in:

1. Suel
    2. Baklunish
    3. Oeridian
    4. Flan

Many of the specialty priest entries I wrote up so long ago have also been covered by other authors. As most of these articles are very well done I will be posting links to them, or at the very least giving them an honorable mention, as it is always nice to have a few options to choose from. I'm more interested in compiling all of the related specialty priest information so that everyone can make use of what they want to. To me this is what Canonfire is all about.

Last edited by Cebrion on Mon May 19, 2008 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:26 am  

Quote:
    I will be doing ALL of the deities not already covered in the From the Ashes boxed set.

Alright, alright dont beat me over the head with it. I was tired when I asked about the others Laughing . I am really looking forward to this.

Maraudar
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:19 pm  

So far I am keeping up a pretty good posting schedule, so there should be lots of entries in a short time. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up this pace. Right now I am transcribing about three per night, when I have some spare time. I'm getting close to finishing off the Suel pantheon.

Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:52 am  

Much info on the Suel gods and their specialtya priests can be found in The Scarlet Brotherhood. It is not of the same style as the FtA priesthoods though, but more along the lines of the Faiths & Avatars specialty priests.

Norebo of course was also in one of the Oerth journals IIRC.

I believe Kelanen and Murlynd are in Slavers.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:37 am  

Thanks for the heads-up Thanael. I'll keep Slavers in mind for later on. I have already created an entry for Kelenan, but I'll be sure to put Slavers down as recommended reading. If you think of any other entries that have appeared here on CF or elsewhere for Suel or other deities that I have not already sited in my entries then let me know and I'll post them under the "Recommended Reading" section of the pertinent entries.

Thanks.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:21 am  

As for elsewhere there are many 2e stats for specialty priests on Russ Taylor`s site: http://www.cmc.net/~rtaylor/greyhawk/gods/

Also Tal Meta has done som nice fluff on GH deities. (Rules are for runequest though...): http://talmeta.net/runequest/greyhawk/rqgods.htm

Here`s another site on spec priests that i haven read yet: http://www.mvn.net/jimnellen/greyhawk/priests.html

Oh and in canon, there`are 2E F&A-style entries for Heironeous and Hextor in Bastion of Faith.

There`s also some material in polyhedron:

Polyhedron #128, p.28
    "Powers that Be: Boccob" (Eric L. Boyd)

Polyhedron #129, p.38
    "Powers that Be: St.Cuthbert" (Eric L.Boyd)

Polyhedron #130, p.44
    "Powers that Be: Procan" (Eric L.Boyd)

Polyhedron #131, p.??
    "Powers that Be: ???" ()

Polyhedron #132, p.??
    "Powers that Be: ???" ()

Polyhedron #133-137: ???
    Polyhedron #138: nothing

Polyhedron #139, p.20
    "Powers that Be: Xan Yae" (Lance Hawvermale)

Polyhedron #140, p.28
    "Powers that Be: Cyndor" (Lance Hawvermale)

Polyhedron #141: ???

Some of those are available online here:

http://hometown.aol.com/dmwog/boccob.html
    ...is the exact Boccob article from Polyhedron #128.

Also Procan (Poly 130): http://hometown.aol.com/alfmar/procan.html

St.Cuthbert (Poly 129): http://hometown.aol.com/alfmar/cuthbert.html

Perhaps this is Eric Boyds homepage?
    http://hometown.aol.com/dmwog/powers.html

If anybody knows anything about the other poly issues listed with ??? above please let me know...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:04 pm  

Cebrion,

I have been meaning to drop a post here as I am a 2e player, and love the use of specialty priests. Great job on the work you've done. I am truly looking forward to seeing more of your project.

One note of particular interest to me is your mention of having an entry for Kelanen. I am anxious to see it. Kelanen has always been my favorite hero deity. Cool

Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:55 pm  

Sorry I didn't get here sooner, seeing as how I'm the one who asked you for this stuff!!!
    Not a chance I can get you to put Pelor up soon, is there? Wink
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:27 am  

The FtA priesthood material is available for download here: http://ulmo.mux.net/greyhawk/wizards.html (Also check out the other downloads, esp the stuff on Syrul)

FtA has Beory, Boccob, Incabulos, Istus, Nerull, Pelor and Rao as Greater Powers, Celestian, ST. Cutbert, Ehlonna, Erythnul, Fharlanghn, Heironeous, Hextor, Kord, Lendr, Obad-Hai, Olidammara,Pholtus, Procan, Ralishaz, Tharizdun , Trithereon, Ulaa, Wee Jas, Zilchus as Intermediate Powers and Iuz , Mayaheine, Zagyg as demipowers

2nd Edition F&A stlye writeups in Dragon:

Dragon #263, p.44
    The Oeridian Lesser Gods, by Andy Miller
    Atroa, Delleb, and Kurell are detailed

Dragon #264, p.46
    The Oeridian Lesser Gods (II), by Ander Miller
    Raxivort (an Oeridian?) and Sotillon revealed

Dragon #265, p.56
    The Oeridian Lesser Gods (III), by Andy Miller
    Telchur and Rudd make up the final installment in the series

The Scarlet Brotherhood has specialty priests for Suel deities, Slavers has Kelanen and Murlynd IIRC.
    Bastion of Faith has 2E F&A style stats for Heironeous and Hextor.

Greyhawk Adventures though 1st Edition shoudl be mentioned too. (It says compatible with 2E on the cover! :-)
    GHAdv has Boccob, Celestian, St Cuthbert, Ehlonna, Fharlanghn,Incabulos, Istus, Iuz, Nerul, Pholtus, Ralishaz, Ulaa

Also some 1st Edition material is found in the World of Greyhawk Box and in early Dragon magazines...
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: