Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - King Snurre's precious pets...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    King Snurre's precious pets...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:34 pm  
    King Snurre's precious pets...

I came up with this to include in my D&D 3.5 update for the Against The Giants module.

(My other creation/addition is here.)

I was very pleased with how well it met my expectations and may try to write a touch of an ecology for it, at some point.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy it!

HELLTEMPERED RAZORBACK
    (HELLFURNACE NATIVE - DIRE BOAR)
    Large Magical Beast (Fire)

{Multiheaded Pyro-Dire Boar = MMI p.63 & Savage Species p.125 ~ 2 extra heads; three heads in total}

Hit Dice: 11d8+55
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 17 (–1 size, +6 natural, +2 for extra heads), touch 9, flat-footed 17
    Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+23
    Attack: Gore +18 melee (1d8+12)
    Full Attack: Gore +18 melee (1d8+12) x3
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Ferocity, Breath Weapon
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Dark vision 90ft, Scent, Improved Multiattack, Immunity to Fire, Vulnerability to Cold
    Saves: Fort +10, Ref +5, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 27, Dex 10, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 8
    Skills: Listen +10, Spot +10
    Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Iron Will, Improved Initiative, Combat Reflexes
    Environment: The Hellfurnaces (Greyhawk)
    Organization: Solitary or herd (5–8)
    Challenge Rating: 8
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 8–16 HD (Large); 17–21 HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment: —

This giant boar has an arched back as high as a human is tall. It has spiny armor on its back and each of its three heads; great, gleaming tusks; and small, furious, demonic eyes. The coloration of its fur is a sinister blend of deep, rusty red and coal black.

While both the common boar and dire boar are known to be foul-tempered and possessed of an overall surliness, Hellfurnace Razorbacks are, with absolute certainty, hateful and violent. Although omnivorous like its kin, Hellfurnace Razorbacks prefer to feed on flesh; their razor-sharp tusks and keen eyesight make it an extremely effective predator. Hellfurnace Razorbacks are extremely willing to attack smaller creatures they encounter whilst searching for easier meals or those whom misfortune brings into their territory. They grow up to 13 feet long and weigh as much as 2,100 pounds.

Combat
    A Helltempered Razorback charges its opponent, trying to rip the target open with its tusks.

Furnace Belch (Su): Helltempered Razorbacks can breathe jets of fire 10 feet high, 10 feet wide, and 20 feet long. All heads breathe once every 1d4 rounds, and each jet deals 3d6 points of fire damage per head. A successful Reflex save (DC 16) halves the damage.

Ferocity (Ex): A Helltempered Razorback is such a tenacious combatant that it continues to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying.

Fire Subtype (Ex): Helltempered Razorbacks are immune to fire damage and take a –10 penalty on saves against cold attacks. If a cold attack does not allow a saving throw, the creatures take double damage instead.

Note: While its DEX is too low to have Combat Reflexes grant it a number of additional attacks, it may still make attacks of opportunity while flat-footed.

- D

Last edited by DrassustheGaunt on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:53 pm; edited 10 times in total
    GreySage

Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:53 am  

That's a very nice addition to the Hall of the Fire Giant King, DrassustheGaunt. I will certainly add it to my version of the module when my campaign reaches that point. Smile

SirXaris

Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:12 am  

Many thanks, Sir Xaris. Smile

Be sure to let me know how it works out for you; I'd really be interested.

I'm throwing together a paragraph or two in my head to touch on its ecology, ever so slightly.

I'll put it in this thread so as to get further input.

- D
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:42 am  

Like it. The Hill Giants had their kennel of dire wolves, the Frost Giant Jarl had his polar bear, and now you have given Snurre a worthy pet of his own.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:53 am  

A-Baneful-Backfire wrote:
    Like it. The Hill Giants had their kennel of dire wolves, the Frost Giant Jarl had his polar bear, and now you have given Snurre a worthy pet of his own.

Many thanks, ABB.

That was very much my goal.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: