ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Animate Dead (spell)- input sought
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Animate Dead (spell)- input sought
    GreySage

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:47 am  
    Animate Dead (spell)- input sought

Greetings Fellows,

As promised, this is the first (of several) inquiries I will fire off to generate your collective input. Unless it is not 'appropriate' to do so, I may post some of these questions on the 1st edition bulletin, as many of them likewise pertain to that gaming genre', too. Thank you for your response in advance!

I was wondering if there is a limit to the number of times that a priest (or necromancer wizard) can animate the bodies (corpses or skeleton remains) of the dead with the "Animate Dead" spell. The mage spell description implies that this can be achieved but once, but there seems to be nothing stated definitively.

In short, is it possible for a mage or priest to 're-animate' the bodies once more after they fall in combat? If so, are these skeletons/zombies reduced in power (1/2 original HD, etc), or does the magic of the spell restore them to full power anew?

If not, can the 5th lvl priest spell "Undead Regeneration" from the Necromancer's Book (I have come to use that tome rather often these days, much to the dismay of my PCs!), be used to mend the corpses/bones for functional use again?

appretiatively,

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:20 pm  

Undead regeneration affects undead, not remains.

Animate dead fixes everything, and reanimates the damaged remains as a whole(if all the bits are there that is).

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:46 pm  

My understanding from reading the description (the mage version is especially informative) is that Animate can be used but once only on corpses.

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:31 pm  

I don't know where you get that impression. The undead remains animated
    until destroyed. When they are destroyed, what is left? Remains. The
    spell affects remains, so the caster casts the spell again on the
    remains that are now there yet again. As the DM, it is up to you to
    decide how much of the remains must be relatively intact. For instance,
    if a skeleton is shattered by a mace or hacked apart with axes/swords,
    you might say, sure, it could be animated again, as there are pieces
    that can be mended back together without much trouble. But, if the
    skeleton was crushed to powder by a falling block trap, you would be
    justified in saying that the spell does not animate dust. Why? Because you are the DM, that's why! Laughing

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:36 pm  

Cebrion, I completely agree about the "DM call." Boy, do I have to use that one often!

The reason why I feel safe that remains can only be animated once... look at page 165 in the PH:

"This spell assumes that the bodies or bones are available and are reasonably intact (those of skeletons or zombies destroyed in combat won't be!)"

I read that as it's a one shot spell, without any chance to recast it once zombies and skeletons have been defeated. Thus, Animate once, and that's all. That is why I suggested the option of using the "Regenerate Undead" spell from the Necromancer's Book as a (costly) way to make the smashed remains "whole" once more for Re-animation.

Thanks again!

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:48 pm  

Do corpses rot once "Animate Dead" is cast? Or is the necromantic link such that the body will not decay? Interested in your thoughts, good people.

I am currently riding the fence on this, but leaning towards "No." Otherwise, the 'life expectancy' of the typical zombie would be rather limited, based on humidity, useage, and temperature... Shocked

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:15 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Do corpses rot once "Animate Dead" is cast? Or is the necromantic link such that the body will not decay? Interested in your thoughts, good people.

I also say 'No' to that question. That being the case, however, undead bodies do decay due to combat, general wear and tear, and the tendency of magic to fail over a great period of time.

Thus, zombies aren't eternal, but they will last a few hundred years, if they aren't frequently ridden hard and put away wet. Evil Grin

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:28 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Lanthorn wrote:

I also say 'No' to that question. That being the case, however, undead bodies do decay due to combat, general wear and tear, and the tendency of magic to fail over a great period of time.

Thus, zombies aren't eternal, but they will last a few hundred years, if they aren't frequently ridden hard and put away wet. Evil Grin

SirXaris

Shocked What the hell are you doing to your zombies?

Better yet don't tell me. Razz

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:48 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    . . . if they aren't frequently ridden hard and put away wet. Evil Grin

Uh, so . . . is "that" portion of your anatomy experiencing any, er, . . . Mummy Rot? Shocked

Hehehehehehehehehe!

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:50 pm  

Argon wrote:
    SirXaris wrote:
    Lanthorn wrote:

SirXaris

Shocked What the hell are you doing to your zombies?

Better yet don't tell me. Razz

Nice Wisdom Save Argon..... Evil Grin
    Some things are best left unknown......
    GreySage

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:51 am  

It strikes me as odd, perhaps disjointed even, that only wizards can create the more useful and powerful ju-ju zombies (using Finger of Death or Energy Drain, for starters) but priests (even those with major access to Necromantic sphere) cannot... Confused

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:14 am  

Lanthorn,

I think 2nd edition tried to address this issue with the specialty priests. Remember evil cleric's can control undead. Wizard's create undead or in some cases undead create undead.

Later

Argon

Last edited by Argon on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:45 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    It strikes me as odd, perhaps disjointed even, that only wizards can create the more useful and powerful ju-ju zombies (using Finger of Death or Energy Drain, for starters) but priests (even those with major access to Necromantic sphere) cannot... Confused

-Lanthorn

Later editions worked harder to address and answer issues like this. Earlier editions left that kind of specific information and explanation to the fancy of each individual DM. You can either look into the spell lists and the explanations of undead creation in later editions for inspiration or simply come up with a plan of your own making. The only answer that exists, in my opinion, is that the authors simply didn't consider every aspect of the spell and how it would interact with every other aspect of the game, so didn't provide such an explanation.

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:27 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:

It's been a long time since I've played 1st/2nd edition but I'm almost certain there's a write-up about how the negative energy that animates them keeps their further deterioration in check.

Manual of The Planes, perhaps, re: negative energy plane.

It's as if the magic uses the energy created from the rotting process to "heal the damage". Thus, never improves; never gets worse. That's "undeath". Neither living nor dead.

Hope that helps/makes sense to you.

- D
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: