Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Canonfire! URL change - some users think the website is down
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback
    Canonfire! URL change - some users think the website is down
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:24 am  
    Canonfire! URL change - some users think the website is down

After Canonfire! went down for a while, I discovered that it has come back with the pages (including the forum) having a slightly different URL.

URLs used to include "/cf/" in the middle, but now include "/cf/".

I'm not sure if this is a permanent change or if the original URLs are going to be restored in a few days. But we need to get the word out to people.

There is a thread about this at the CanonFire! group on Facebook and another thread about this at the Greyhawk forum at The Piazza.

It might be worth posting threads at other places, like Dragonsfoot, so that users who are currently not able to see the forum or the rest of the Canonfire! website, can be informed of the URL change.

We also need someone from the management (Gary Holian, perhaps) to tell us if this URL is going to stick.

(If the shorter URL is forever, then people need to be encouraged to update inbound links on Greyhawk websites.)
    David 'Big Mac' Shepheard<br />My Greyhawk links: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=11&amp;t=9355<br />(If I am not here, you can find me at the Greyhawk or Chainmail forums at The Piazza.)<br />
    GreySage

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:21 am  

I don't even know how to do what you're suggesting. I am just lucky that you provided a working link in the Canonfire! FB thread. Confused

SirXaris

Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:43 am  

Let me know if I can help.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:00 am  

"Canonfire! URL change - some users think the website is down"

The thread title implies that people think the web page is down due to an URL change, which is not likely the case. The URL has been changed, and redirects to the Canonfire! intro page, not to a 404 error page or anything similar. The site actually being down for maintenance is what gave people a 404 or other errors. When he finds the time, Gary should be posting an announcement as to the where's and why's of things at the CanonFire! Crier and the CanonFire! Facebook page.

More information when I get it.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:08 pm  

I'm one of those who thought it was down--just happened to try mr google to see if I could dig it up again and presto!
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:09 pm  

Were you being directed to THIS PAGE?

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:23 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Were you being directed to THIS PAGE?

Nope--I was using my usual old bookmark that led to a page that only said "No input file specifiied"

Early last week when I used the link there was a message that said something to the effect of "gremlins are loose in the system and we're trying to clean them up" or something like that. Then the "no input" page showed up the next day. That's why I thought the site crashed.

Edit--changed the precise message from the old bookmark
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:53 pm  

I think the different messages come from things being in the process of changing. Some notice before the gremlins were turned loose would have been better, but as I understand it the issue was something that needed to be dealt with immediately.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:08 am  

The "Search the Forums" link needs to be changed from http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=search to http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=search.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:02 pm  

Aarrrrgh!!!

Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:44 pm  

Thread subscription notifications also seem to have the same issue :-(
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

You can post new topics in this forum
    You can reply to topics in this forum
    You can edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Canonfire! is a production of the Thursday Group in assocation with GREYtalk and Canonfire! Enterprises

Contact the Webmaster.  Long Live Spidasa!

Greyhawk Gothic Font by Darlene Pekul is used under the Creative Commons License.

PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
    Page Generation: 0.34 Seconds