ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Spooky Greyhawk Locations
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Spooky Greyhawk Locations
    Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:24 pm  
    Spooky Greyhawk Locations

http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2014/10/10-spooky-greyhawk-locations.html

I was musing about scary Greyhawk locations this weekend. Sure, most places of adventure have peril, but which spots have that special air of terror or horror to them? My 10-11 are certainly not exclusive, but can you think of any other canon locations that have a spooky vibe to them?
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:13 pm  

Good list. The cover of Temple of Elemental Evil is among my favorite also. The Dead Pile (campaign folder of characters that have died during adventuring) looks to get thicker soon . . .
    GreySage

Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:03 pm  

Though it is not canonically Greyhawk, I place Ravenloft (the original module) in the forested hills of the Clatspurs and it is my favorite horror setting for adventure.

Otherwise, your list is quite good. I might suggest that the Fane of Lolth could be quite horrifying to any PC captured and toyed with, er... tortured by the clerics within. Evil Grin

SirXaris

Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:56 pm  

The lost city of the Suel in the Suss Forest.

Slerotin's Tunnel.

And of course...Tomb of Horrors.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:23 pm  
    Other creepy places

I got a couple:

One I liked is the Bronzeblood Haunt in Furyondy. An exception to the civilized good nation of Furyondy is this crumbling castle, where rumors of blood cults and depravity abound. Also worth noting is that even in the middle of the Greyhawk Wars and its aftermath, there was a small garrison of troops stationed nearby to keep people away from it! (See page 34 of WGR4 The Marklands)

Another atmospheric location is WG4 - The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun with its total darkness, coldness, odd idols and mysterious voices and artifacts. Back in the day when less was written about Tharizdun, this made what the adventurers uncovered all the more creepy. Now Tharizdun is behind way too many plots, thus ruining the mystery factor.

Going along with that thought, who was not freaked out by the lost temple underneath the Hill Giant's Steading, or the Elder Elemental God temple in G3? Again, back when these things were not so commonly used, the element of fear and unnerving was much higher with these.

It goes to show that a creepy atmosphere can be maintained as long as the element of the unknown is present. Make an enemy too popular and the fear goes out.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:27 pm  

The Pits of Azak-Zil is totally set up for anyone who wants to get their Lovecraft on.
    Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:41 pm  

Azak-Zil, nice one. Bronzeblood Haunt even has the word haunt in it. Shoot! Lost City of the Suel is the very last thing I did in Greyhawk too. Nice call. Next year I'll try to use these ideas!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:43 pm  

Just as places themselves I would put the Burneal Forest and Blackmoor on my list. Blackmoor always hit me as a creepy place that little is know about.
    CF Admin

Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:42 pm  

Mike---

To your list I would definitely add the Island of Lost Souls and Causeway of Fiends!

Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:17 am  

The Soul Husks Caverns and the Tomb of Tzunk's Hands have a creepy vibe to them. I'd also include the ruins of Almor when Szeffrin ruled, it was reminiscent of Vlad-era Romania, with special mention given to Chathold.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:24 am  
    Re: Other creepy places

Osmund-Davizid wrote:
    Going along with that thought, who was not freaked out by the lost temple underneath the Hill Giant's Steading, or the Elder Elemental God temple in G3? Again, back when these things were not so commonly used, the element of fear and unnerving was much higher with these.

It goes to show that a creepy atmosphere can be maintained as long as the element of the unknown is present. Make an enemy too popular and the fear goes out.

Yes, I remember being thoroughly creeped out by the Elder Elemental God in that module...and I was the DM. Less is best.
    GreySage

Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:51 pm  

The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth!

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:19 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth!

-Lanthorn

I suspect there's a little bias in that, "Lanthorn" Wink
    GreySage

Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:25 am  

Laughing

Perhaps just a tad, but I think the whole set-up of the Lost Caverns bespeaks of an ominous and eerie Gothic aura. I definitely played it up.

To make matters worse for my player, I had a rival faction loyal to Iuz vying against them to plumb the depths of that deadly subterranean complex.

-Lanthorn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: