Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Alternative Warlock Patrons?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition
    Alternative Warlock Patrons?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:56 pm  
    Alternative Warlock Patrons?

Hi All,

I find the 3 options for Warlocks a bit wanting in the PHB. Any good ideas as to what else a player can pick as a patron? Any good ideas on what powers?

So far, I'm thinking Elemental powers, such as Djinn, Efritt, and Dao. Maybe some sort of Storm being that grants electricity bonuses. A good planer being that gives buffs?

I got as far as thinking of Earth powers...

Expanded Spells:
    1st = Longstrider, Expeditious Retreat
    2nd = Heat Metal, Enhance Ability (Str and Con only)
    3rd = Meld Into Stone, Protection from Energy
    4th = Conjure Minor Elemental (Earth), Stoneskin
    5th = Conjure Elemental, Wall of Stone

Power of the Earth: At first level, the Warlock gains advantage whenever making a Strength or Constitution test.

Listen to the Earth: At Sixth level, the Warlock gains Tremorsense for 30 ft.

Endurance of the Earth: At Tenth level, the Warlock gains the same powers as Fiendish Resilience power.

14th level......?

I'll have to think of some Fire ones next.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:50 pm  

I've seen a few homebrews on Giants in the Playground, ENWorld, and Reddit's 5e/Next section; just google around phrases like "5e new warlock pact" or "5e new warlock patron" and you should find a few.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:18 pm  

The DMG should also help you with this.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:25 am  

There are lots of interesting Greyhawk powers you could use as warlock patrons. I had a character in my game choose the fiendish pact, but deliberately leave her patron mysterious and unknown. Since she is a crusader for women's empowerment, I chose Iggwilv as a patron. The witch-queen probably doesn't fit the typical picture of a warlock patron, but I liked giving the players built-in connections to famous figures in Greyhawk lore. Just as the Circle of Eight and other powerful groups have agents around the world, why wouldn't Iggwilv? And as the PH states, she doesn't have to champion Iggwilv's cause, and can choose to turn that power against her. But what will people think of that dark association?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:30 pm  

You mentioning Iggwilv makes me think of Baba Yaga, who would make a really good archfey patron.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:50 pm  

I've been playing a Pact of Chains Feylock since the release. Tinkering with the game was rather easy and it shows flexibility of the Warlock class. Swapping their Patron spell list changes their playing style. For my character, my Fey patron is the Cat Lord. We made it a funny play on Pet Classes, flipping the script and turning the Summoner into the Pet. I'm playing a Catfolk who summons owners, primarily grandmas (Hags) but also children (Pixies and Sprites) and cat ladies (Dryads). All of this could be accomplished by changing the spell list and granting access to Conjure Woodland Beings.

My familiar is a suit of Animated Armor that acts as a toddering old woman (Blind with Blindsight) we call Babushka Yaga. Then there's Babushka Verde (the Green Hag) and Babushka Agua (the Sea Hag). The DM also allows me to conjure a Night Hag (Babushka Nocturne) using the Conjure Fey spell, even though shes a Fiend and not a Fey.

The kewl part about these different summoned grandmas is they each possess different powers and abilities. Right now we're trapped beneath the ocean in a cavern and we need to repair our Apparatus before we can get out. Each of the grandmas have their own abilities. I used the Sea Hag to swim out into the ocean and look for help and volcanic activity (metal). The Green Hag is also amphibious and she's an excellent diplomat and spy. The Night Hag is a crafter and will repair our vessel with the proper material.

We're a 15th level party and still going strong. We'll be playing 'til 20th level to see how we'll the 5e mechanics holds up. So far it's doing a good job.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: