Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Newcomer saying Hello
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    Newcomer saying Hello
    Novice

Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:13 pm  
    Newcomer saying Hello

Hello,

Just wanted to say great site with a wealth of information!

Haven't played D&D since early 90's. Mostly played 1e/2e, so things have
    changed a ton since I last looked at any books or information.

For many moons now my friends and I have discussed how to make something happen, and even though we live several states apart, we decided to make a commitment to a couple times a year taking an extended weekend and getting a campaign back together.

There will be 4 players and I will DM. Should be great once we all shake the rust off!

I decided to set the campaign in Yeshara, Sunndi and have been lurking on this site for a couple weeks now just trying to glean all the knowledge I have missed out on the past 2 decades.

Anyhow, just wanted to say Hello and well met!
    GreySage

Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:39 am  

Buckman,

Welcome to Canonfire! Your anachronistic ways are not alone, my friend, as I am an ardent 2e follower (with some 1e touches), and there are a few others as well. Feel free to post your thoughts and questions. You will soon discover a wealth of information by joining this coterie.

Good luck cobbling your team together.

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:27 am  

Welcome to Canonfire!, Buckman. Smile

A few of my high school friends and I have been holding just such an extended weekend once a year we refer to as GavCon (for the friend who's house we meet at). It 's always a blast and I'm sure yours will be, too!

In case you missed it, be sure to check out the Greyhawk Wiki. The link is to the left of your screen under Features (written over the City of Greyhawk crest).

Also, the next link down is for our weekly Thursday night Greytalk Chats. We gather at about 10:00pm CST and we'd love your live input and questions.

SirXaris

Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:20 am  

Thanks for the welcome and tips on Wiki.

There is indeed a lot to catch up on. Luckily, between all of us, we have most of the books and others materials we needed to at least get started. I recently picked up the Living Greyhawk Gazeteer as well as Greyhawk The Adventure Begins books to start familiarizing myself with the more current versions of Greyhawk. Prior, my knowledge base stopped at From the Ashes.

I chose Sunndi for a couple reasons. First was location. All of my playing/dm'ing experience had always seemed to be in the usual Greyhawk/Wild Coast region, down into Keoland, or up into Vesve regions. Secondly, Sunndi is a great melting pot of races to play. Formulating a background story for humans, a half elf and a gnome actually doesn't seem to be quite a stretch in a land like Sunndi.

All in all, a good recipe in a landscape that lends itself to exploration from the Glorioles to the infamous Vast Swamp...and that doesn't even touch upon the fact that Sunndi lies between a hammer and anvil to the north and south!

I've poked around fairly deeply into this forum as well as the site downloads/articles/oerth journals, etc...and I've been able to come across some real gems to help spur the creative process. Examples would be the Sunndi article in OJ1 to the Wastri article in OJ8. Great stuff and I am sure that I am missing quite a lot still.
    GreySage

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:18 am  

I agree that Sunndi is a great melting pot area for races in the Flanaess and would make a great place to base a campaign.

Have you seen the issue #1 of The Canonfire! Chronicles? There are three excellent Greyhawk adventures plus extras.

https://archive.org/details/canonfire_chronicles-01

SirXaris

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:55 am  

I have not come across that, thanks for the link!
    Novice

Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:59 pm  

Forgot to ask...is there a way to search the forum by keyword? I've used the search in the upper right corner and have found articles/downloads and such.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:42 am  

See here: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=64839&sid=3266c97e6b49bb1b5ea0d10eac42bf63#64839

And welcome to Canonfire!.

Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:34 pm  
    Re: Newcomer saying Hello

Buckman wrote:
    ...For many moons now my friends and I have discussed how to make something happen, and even though we live several states apart, we decided to make a commitment to a couple times a year taking an extended weekend and getting a campaign back together...

-It used to be that we'd only play once a twice a year. Then, we realized that there were things called telephones and the internet... Laughing Combat is hard to do that way (but we do), but for most thinks, you can get a lot done through email, and then follow up on the phone. You might try setting up the scenario and creating your characters that way. That way, when you meet face to face, you have maximum time to take care of stuff that's best to do face to face?

Lanthorn wrote:
    ... Your anachronistic ways are not alone, my friend, as I am an ardent 2e follower (with some 1e touches), and there are a few others as well...

Editions Change. Greyhawk Endures!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: