ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Watcher Stops In
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Watcher Stops In
    Novice

Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:17 am  
    Watcher Stops In

Haile and Fair Greetings All,

Long has it been since last I took note of Greyhawk matters. A long time indeed. Is GreyTalk still active? Can anyone remind me how to turn mail cdelivery back on (yes, I'm still registered)? Any other old-timers still around?

Soft Winter and Sweet Flowers,

Watcher
    CF Admin

Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:04 pm  

Welcome back Watcher. The "lost sages" keep returning it seems. Nitescreed showed toward the end of last year and Aria13 was reportedly seen at the Paizo message boards. Additionally, Pateris the Technical Bardrecently joined GreyTalk.

Speaking of the old listserv, GreyTalk was finally shifted from its original server to a new one--due to the server owner finally noticing that the list owner was no longer a student, iirc.

According to the Canonfire! FAQ, you can sign up for the new listserv by sending a blank email to "greytalk-subscribe@canonfire.com" or to "greytalk-digest-subscribe@canonfire.com" depending on whether you prefer individual emails or the digest.

While I won't tell anyone not to rejoin the listserv, I strongly suggest attending to these forums and to those at the Wizards of the Coast website. I also like reading the message boards at the Realms of Evil. Other folks like the Pied Piper boards as well as those at Dragonsfoot though the latter has a reputation for summary disdain of anything not written by Gygax or Kuntz.

I encourage you to post your responses to articles you find at Canonfire as well as to the "recent" issues of the Oerth Journal. I think you'll find that the online community of Greyhawk fans is vibrant, if dispersed throughout the internet.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:31 pm  

mtg wrote:
    While I won't tell anyone not to rejoin the listserv, I strongly suggest attending to these forums and to those at the Wizards of the Coast website. I also like reading the message boards at the Realms of Evil. Other folks like the Pied Piper boards as well as those at Dragonsfoot though the latter has a reputation for summary disdain of anything not written by Gygax or Kuntz.

Speaking of Greytalk, IMO, it is an embarrassment. I have peeked in when things slow elsewhere and there is very little activity, plus what recent posts there were concerned (1) using monsters from STAR TREK in Greyhawk (wtf?); (2) a flamewar over "slavery" that has nothing to do with Greyhawk in any real sense and (3) 3E PrCs for priests/"munchkinism."

Greytalk should be put out of its misery, unless it functions as sort of an "asylum" for "Uncle Wiggly" type Greyhawk "fans," who like to tear the wings off flies and giggle madly while telling you about how their view of Greyhawk is based on a careful reading of the Code of Hammurabi crossed referenced with the text of the iridium tablets the aliens gave them the last time they were abducted. I read Greytalk as low farce. Canonfire does everything Greytalk does and much, much more. Greytalk is redundant and should be disassociated from Canonfire.

Pied Pieper and Dragonsfoot are not Greyhawk message boards. They are message boards devoted to Gary Gygax and Rob Kuntz. Greyhawk is peripheral to the "cult of personality." Very "backslapping," self-approving, exclusionary of anything not Gygax-approved or condoned and "self-congratulatory." Sort of "Scientology" for Greyhawk fans. Confused

IMO, too much Greyhawk talk is spread out over to many marginal venues that exist on a trickle of posts. I've looked. The only two truly active Greyhawk message boards are Canonfire and Wotc's "Other Worlds" Greyhawk folder. Anyone please correct me if I am missing something.

For my part, after a period of "youthful experimentation," I am confining myself (90% of posts) to Canonfire. I look on it as an investment. It is an investment that pays dividends in good conversations and outstanding content of an enduring nature.

Wotc has some good conversations but they lead to nothing enduring. There is no archive. It is so what happened in the last few days. Shocked

I think Greyhawk fans should get behind Canonfire. Nothing is perfect but IMO Canonfire is the best thing going, if you are a fan of Greyhawk. Happy

IMHO Cool

Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:36 pm  
    Re: Watcher Stops In

Watcher wrote:

Long has it been since last I took note of Greyhawk matters. A long time indeed. Is GreyTalk still active? Can anyone remind me how to turn mail cdelivery back on (yes, I'm still registered)? Any other old-timers still around?

Watcher

welcome to the boards watcher, i hope you enjoy your stay here as much as i do.... um... nevermind.

anyway enjoy your stay and i'm sure youll be an excellent contributer to these boards of ours.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:54 pm  

mtg wrote:
    Welcome back Watcher. The "lost sages" keep returning it seems. Nitescreed showed toward the end of last year and Aria13 was reportedly seen at the Paizo message boards. Additionally, Pateris the Technical Bardrecently joined GreyTalk.

Twas Qsam whose been posting on Paizo, not Aria. Smile

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:18 am  

GVDammerung wrote:

IMO, too much Greyhawk talk is spread out over to many marginal venues that exist on a trickle of posts. I've looked. The only two truly active Greyhawk message boards are Canonfire and Wotc's "Other Worlds" Greyhawk folder. Anyone please correct me if I am missing something.

One of the inaccurate, but common complaints about Canonfire! is that we are an elitist "one site to rule them all" clique, bent on assimilating all Greyhawk sites, forums, discussion lists and other projects. That is not, nor has it ever been the case, and attempting too aggresively to migrate folks from the site/forum/list of their choice to this forum would only reinforce that erroneous image.

There is a better way to get people here, just show them what fun and interesting topics and articles Canonfire! hosts. Drop a link to CF! in your siglines when you post elsewhere. The subtle approach is best. We definately do not want to recreate a warring fansites atmosphere reminiscent of the old WoG Fanclub/Council of Greyhawk fued.

Also, as you said concerning the GreyTalk list, and hinted at about other forums, there are some discussions better left elsewhere. GreyTalk's offtopicness and tendency toward flamewars wouldn't add much to this forum, nor would flamewars derived from bringing all the fans who are zealous about whatever specific era or author of Greyhawk they prefer.

We don't need to strive to be the biggest, or only Greyhawk fan site around, we just need to try and be the best. When we accomplish that, the masses will come around. Happy
    Novice

Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:33 am  

forumfire wrote:

Also, as you said concerning the GreyTalk list, and hinted at about other forums, there are some discussions better left elsewhere. GreyTalk's offtopicness and tendency toward flamewars wouldn't add much to this forum, nor would flamewars derived from bringing all the fans who are zealous about whatever specific era or author of Greyhawk they prefer.

So then, same as always.... That's a bit disheartening. Of course, I gave up on gaming after most of my material was rejected from tAB, pretty much contradicting the Verbobonc-Celene product I had been developing for years.
    Over the last few months, some of the old Group have voiced an outside interest in returning to the Pocket Guide to Verbobonc, but I'm wondering if it's really worth the effort. I've been out of touch since about 3E. I'm glad to see Lisa and Paizo are doing well. Same with Gary Holian and this site.
    Although, if I were to have a complaint about message boards in general, it's that the messages don't come to me. It's fairly inconvenient to visit, try to track down the things you want to comment on, and not be able to continue a long draft later.

Watcher
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:51 am  

yeah, what do you think of the theme/new theme?
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:21 am  

Watcher wrote:
    So then, same as always.... That's a bit disheartening. Of course, I gave up on gaming after most of my material was rejected from tAB, pretty much contradicting the Verbobonc-Celene product I had been developing for years.

Well, another way to look at things is, a lot of the old gang are still lurking around the list, posting sporadically. As Montand and Samwise have proven in the past, a concerted effort to get things on topic and active does work. It just requires a lot of time and effort on the part of the instigators. Honestly, I don't have the motivation to organize such an effort myself, but I'd gladly support anyone who did.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: