Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Call for creative DM ideas!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Call for creative DM ideas!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:45 am  
    Call for creative DM ideas!

I need some DM input!

I have been DM'ing a Greyhawk campaign for about 20 years off and on, and my players want to revisit the "Against the Giants" series of modules.

Due to the fact that they have already played them (albeit years ago), I thought I would create a new Giant Module set in a forest. Maybe include Veerbeegs and ettins, and maybe create a new class of giant (I dunno, a Forest Giant?).

A dense forest, like the Vesve may be my locale, or something northern like the Burneal.

Now to my question(s).

My first issue is what kind of structure do these things live in? The Steading has pretty much been taken. Maybe a fort? A castle? Underground? Tree houses connected by bridges?

Any creative ideas would be much appreciated, from big picture stuff to details.

I hope to start creation of this thing soon, and if any are interested, I would be happy to share the finished product.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ment.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:08 am  
    Re: Call for creative DM ideas!

Slante wrote:
    I need some DM input!

I have been DM'ing a Greyhawk campaign for about 20 years off and on, and my players want to revisit the "Against the Giants" series of modules.

Due to the fact that they have already played them (albeit years ago), I thought I would create a new Giant Module set in a forest. Maybe include Veerbeegs and ettins, and maybe create a new class of giant (I dunno, a Forest Giant?).

A dense forest, like the Vesve may be my locale, or something northern like the Burneal.

Now to my question(s).

My first issue is what kind of structure do these things live in? The Steading has pretty much been taken. Maybe a fort? A castle? Underground? Tree houses connected by bridges?

Any creative ideas would be much appreciated, from big picture stuff to details.

I hope to start creation of this thing soon, and if any are interested, I would be happy to share the finished product.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ment.

How about visiting Esmerin? Down Lortmil way. Stone giants and halflings living together in the same city. It would be a giantish city adventure, albeit a hidden city.

Pick a giantish threat and leak a link to mythical Esmerin. Let the Stone giants and Esmerin be a red herring. The party will seach for Esmerin, imaging the threat originates there. When they discover it, they find it is not the threat but that either a) it is threatened or b) the secret to defeating the threat lies their. Meanwhile, the actual giantish villains are nearly ready to make real their threat, while the party has been chasing wild geese. The party must now race to stop the giantish villains either a) to save Esmerin and stop the evil giants or b) to use the information they gained in Esmerin (depending on which of the first choices was made).

Using Esmerin also lets you use the halflings as a change up pitch. Their presence would be unusual in an adventure that starts out as a "giant adventure."

Just riffing here, but if you want to tie the old giants of the G Series and Liberation in with Esmerin, here is a connector. Good ole King Skotti of Keoland has no clear heir. Giants and humans can mate (you pick the giant-type). Bring forth a half-human, half-giantish "heir" to the throne of Keoland, sponsored by the evil giants and supported by the giantish left overs of the G Series and Liberation. The "heir" would be large but not of true giantish proportions and a scion of one of the corrupt Keosh houses.
    Giantish forces will be brought in to support the claim of the "heir" as a first step to a giantish takeover of Keoland. The whole "heir" business and associated political manuvering is really a sham to keep the Keolanders divided and paralyzed (look at how they pick a king!) while the initial giantish thrust takes place. If well played, the House in league with the giants could well have "legitimate" support for their "heir," at least until the giants reveal their true intentions.

Better yet, have the "heir" be actually okay. Not evil. Make him a pawn. You could get a cycle of "revolution," "counter-revolution" and "revolution" again, as the kid turns on his puppet masters and becomes the key to thwarting the giantish plans. Heck. Kill Skotti (LG has him dead already if you want to go with that) and put the half-giantish kid on the throne. Sort of like Conan the Barbarian ruling Aquilonia or Kull ruling Valusia. The outsider king.

Now, the giantish mess in the Sheldomar gets really messy.

Then you can bring back Slerotin to "reclaim" Keoland; you didn't think that tunnel just "reopened" by accident did you? Wait. I've said too much. Never mind that last bit. Wink Slerotin is dead. Very dead. Not undead. Dead. Cool

Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:20 am  

DVD,

I like it!

Esmerin is a great call as a red-herring. To your knowledge,is there anything written about it anywhere?

The halfling change up pitch is very cool, and will be most unexpected. There is a halfling within the party who will love that aspect of it.

I really like the political tie-in with Keoland as well. In my campaign, Keoland wouldnt work (long story), but another nation would. Maybe Furyondy.

Thanks for the insightful reply! I appreciate your efforts!

Ment
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:27 am  

You are most welcome. Happy

Esmerin was first described in the Greyhawk Adventures hardback, I believe. I am not sure about subsequent appearances.

Anybody know of other Esmerin writeups?

Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:32 am  

Argh!

I had that book in my hands on Saturday at a used book store! I didnt see a whole lot that I liked, but that alone would be worth the purchase!

I have an errand to run!

Thanks again, GVD!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:55 pm  

How about using the Bramblewood Forest in Ket as the setting? Its's surrounded by mountains, and you could give the giants that "turkic" Kettish feel... maybe use Desert Giants, or Firbolg? I think more cultured giants would throw the players off a little.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:47 pm  

Well if your looking for a giantish type race follow this link it might be useful to you. http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=402

However I like the claim on the throne of Keoland. This could also cause trouble with the Dwarven nations as i'm sure they don't want Giants to East and orcs to the West.

What do you mean Giants rule Keoland, I thought they were just in Sterich and the Yeomanry.

Just think of how the people in both Sterich and the Yeomanry will react to their being a Giantish claim to the throne of Keoland. Talk about throwing a monkey wrench into the Sheldomar Valley.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:48 am  

Wow! Some great ideas!

I love the idea of using the Bramblewood, Setanta. That is a perfect spot. I am going to employ GVD's idea about using Esmerin, in the Lortmil's, so this would be close enough to both Keoland as well as having relevance to Esmerin. I was really eyeballing the Burneal Forest, due to its remoteness, but this makes way more sense. The threat has to be nearby.

Argon, that link is awesome. I have only read half of the Troll Mythos, so far, (Im at work) but I cant wait to read the rest. The claim to the throne of Keoland is a must now. I like the idea of it being a diversion too (GVD's idea). Something to throw off the scent that an invasion is forthcoming.

The call with the dwarves is good too. My players are on a quest for the Anvil of the Lortmils to be returned to a waning clan of dwarves (Gilded Hammer Clan). This will be a perfect opportunity to involve the dwarves in the whole enchilada.

The big picture stuff is looking great! As to some detail, I like the idea of more cultured giants. Firbolg may be the call. I want to do something along the lines of a walled fort-like complex where they live and muster. Of course, there has to also be an underground marshalling area too, with labarynthine tunnels. Almost assuredly, they will link up with something nasty too (Drow come to mind, but I am bored with them).

Any suggestions as to complex construction or what have you?

P.S. Thanks to everyone for the help. This is great getting some fresh ideas!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:03 pm  

Slante thanks for the feedback on my Trolls article i think it's my best work. But since you were looking for a new giant type I thought this might work. Yes please don't use the highly over used (Dro#).
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: