JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Master Population List of Greyhawk Communities
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Master Population List of Greyhawk Communities
    Master Greytalker

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:16 pm  
    Master Population List of Greyhawk Communities

Does anyone know if there is some sort of master list of the communities spread throughout the Flanaess or even certain kingdoms. I would be looking for name and population on such a list.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:28 pm  

Eileen the best I know is the Zavoda Index which does show populations of major cities, maybe not minor ones though.

http://melkot.com/mechanics/Encyclopedia-Greyhawkania2003.pdf

It's in alphabetical order so it'd be hard to filter out just communities, but I'm sure if you do a search by TWN (town) it'll skip to just what you need.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:45 pm  

The problem with the index for population figures is that when they are taken from the LGG, they are wildly overstated. I was working on a BK project years ago and I was comparing old canon population figures to those in the LGG. The LGG often had increased the population by as much as 5 times, if not more, for a region or nation (I don't think I got as granulated as checking the town's data). I recall asking Holian about this during a Greychat. I think it was done to increase the population density of Oerth but I forget what he said. It was so bizarre that I actually mention it in BDKR1: The Unofficial Living Greyhawk Bandit Kingdoms Summary in the 590 CY Planting entry. I rationalized that, after the Greyhawk Wars, the nations of Oerth would want to inflate their population figures to help deter future attacks.

590 CY
    Planting
    Census takers in a variety of nations
    overinflate their population figures by as much as
    500% in efforts to make their nations appear more
    populated (and thus better defended) than they really
    are.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:52 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    Eileen the best I know is the Zavoda Index which does show populations of major cities, maybe not minor ones though.

http://melkot.com/mechanics/Encyclopedia-Greyhawkania2003.pdf

It's in alphabetical order so it'd be hard to filter out just communities, but I'm sure if you do a search by TWN (town) it'll skip to just what you need.

Thank Mort, not exactly what I'm looking for but its actually a very good reference PDF to figure out where to read about all the different Greyhawk Locations. I saved it and know I will be making ample use of it. Thanks!

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:27 pm  

aurdraco wrote:
    The problem with the index for population figures is that when they are taken from the LGG, they are wildly overstated. I was working on a BK project years ago and I was comparing old canon population figures to those in the LGG. The LGG often had increased the population by as much as 5 times...

-I would say that the figures in the 1980 folio and 1983 boxed set were wildly understated, rather than overstated. The 1983 boxed set's guide wasn't meant to be definitive; after all the players had access to it (unlike the glossography). It's premise was that the Savant-Sage wrote it using the best data he could find, but he was not infallible. He probably couldn't get access to every land's census records (assuming that they even existed). As in the real world, the official figures would be more likely to undercount the popualtion than overcount.

OTOH, I see the LGG as more of a DM's guide. I don't let the players see it, since it contains the "real" info' (and is also several years ahead of their time.
    GreySage

Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:46 pm  

The premise used in writing the LGG was that the old Guide figures only represented "fighting males only."

The Guide said this was true of demi-human and humanoid groups (page 18), not for humans, but the LGG writers expanded the concept to explain why the Flanaess seemed so underpopulated.

You're not supposed to assume the population literally increased by fivefold.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:56 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    The premise used in writing the LGG was that the old Guide figures only represented "fighting males only." ...

-If that were so, then the population of Nyrond would have had to have declined by over half (from 1.7 M fighting males in the Guide vs. 1.3 M adults in LGG).

I'm not at my sources, but I seem to remember something in the 1980 Folio and the 1983 Guide about "take 10% of the population figure to find men-at-arms quality fighting men." That isn't neccessarily the entirety of "fighting males" (say, 4-7 HPs, proficient with amore and several weapons in AD&D1 or, or a Warrior 1 in D&D3). Of course, "fighting males" could include a lower standard than that.
    GreySage

Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:20 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:
    -If that were so, then the population of Nyrond would have had to have declined by over half (from 1.7 M fighting males in the Guide vs. 1.3 M adults in LGG).

There were some typos in the LGG too.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:41 pm  

Here you go.

According to my old printout from the Nineties, this list was originally posted by Jeff Mckillop at http://142.103.100.20:80/users/students/matthews/greyhawk/cities.htm.
    Paladin

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:03 pm  

I also seem to recall the gazetteer saying somewhere the number of demi-humans and humanoids were generally not included in that number and if so were only approximations based on percentages.

Personally, I never really took great issue with the "under valued" numbers when comparing them to our own world's historical "norms" .... since I don't recall vast quantities of magical creatures roaming about eating the populace of early France, Britain, or Germany. Shocked

It seemed fairly reasonable that the Oerth's population, with more competing races and creatures, would not compare to our own...
    just my 2cp.

Wink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:56 pm  

Because I did not want populations to increase five-fold in some nations, I went with the reasoning that the 590CY census takers were informed to vastly overstate their population figures.

Also, I took into account the fighting men of age for demi-humans vs. humans discrepancies when I did my initial analysis of canon sources vs. LGG. The math still didn't make sense.

For the record, I do not believe the older sources understate values just because they were accessible by players. If the source doesn't say it understates, then I assume it was written as a game supplement and contains accurate information about the game world.

All that being said, it would probably be a really neat project for someone to provide more realistic population figures for the Flanaess based on historical real-world population density and city sizes throughout history.
    GreySage

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:35 am  

vestcoat wrote:
    Here you go.

According to my old printout from the Nineties, this list was originally posted by Jeff Mckillop at http://142.103.100.20:80/users/students/matthews/greyhawk/cities.htm.

That's a nice list, Vestcoat.

Most of the numbers seem appropriate, though a few seemed odd. Only two really seemed like they needed and explaination:

_____City____________Nation________576 CY__________585 CY
    ___Marner______________Ratik_________3,240___________34,000
    and
    _Vlekstand_____Hold of Stonefist_________2,100___________19,500

Was there a reason why Marner's population would have increased over ten-fold? And, Vlekstad's? Were the rural population driven to the city when the Thillonrian barbarians turned against Stonehold as the Wars began? Or, are these typos?

SirXaris

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:52 am  

Not to "necro" a past thread, but in this case it is parallel to the conversation here.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1066

Now I haven't looked in detail of S. John Ross's link or sources nor the calculator by Derek Bryan, but it seems a good jumping off point for the project Aurdraco suggests....

The only pitfall I see is what would (if any) canon would be considered inline and reasonable, or is it a better approach to consider it "fanon" and establish a new baseline?

If the latter sets the preference, then that base line would (IMO) need to be targeted at a certain year (585cy? or something else) and progressed (or regressed) based on accepted canon for that era (ie wars, migration etc as others have already suggested)

And then it would (again in IMO) need to establish what that baseline is "assuming"

Such As

Males between age x&y
      Demi humans by same sort?
      Humanoids by same sort?
      etc.

Certainly a grand and challenging undertaking.

Would certainly be a neat sidebar byproduct to have those populations of Elven Kingdoms, Dwarvish Clans, Orc Tribes, etc. that don't "fit" within the Darlene country boundaries but across them. Talk about great background flavor!

DLG
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: