Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Catching up is hard to do.
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Catching up is hard to do.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:20 am  
    Catching up is hard to do.

Since I am returning late to D&D and the Greyhawk of my youth, I managed to miss the entire Living Greyhawk Campaign. I have therefore spent many hours scouring the demonwebs of the internet, trying to figure out what the hells happened. Is there any one source that, without appropriating anyone's intellectual property, lists the major events of the campaign Flannaes wide in some coherent fashion?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:42 am  

Nope. The only thing that comes close is my book, BDKR1: The Unofficial Living Greyhawk Bandit Kingdoms Summary. Available in print via Createspace/Amazon or e-book/PDF via Kindle Direct Publishing, DriveThruRPG, or Opengamingstore.com.

As you'll see from my book, each region produced a ton of content. I wouldn't worry too much about catching up on everything as none of it is canon. Just use my book for adventure ideas in the Bandit Kingdoms and you'll be set for years :)

Casey
    GreySage

Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:59 am  

Aurdraco is correct and I highly recommend grabbing a copy of his book. The information is interesting and provides great adventure ideas to expand off of.

However, I'd like to point you to the Living Greyhawk Gazatteer. It is similar to the World of Greyhawk Atlas in the boxed set, but is advanced in date to about 580 CY.

SirXaris

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:43 pm  

I have read the Gazetteer and understand it dates to the beginning of the Living Greyhawk era. I am most interested in the Sheldomar and the Pomarj. I have heard rumors of cataclysmic events but can't seem to find any confirmation or refutation. Before I reject them from my campaign out of hand I would at least like to know what they are.
    GreySage

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:58 pm  

I believe I have copies of about 8 to 10 of the Geoff LG adventures. They were sent to me free, so I'm sure I can pass them on to you as well.

If anyone is aware that they should not be shared freely, please let me know. I'll wait a while to see if anyone knowledgeable on the matter objects.

SirXaris

Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:55 pm  

A couple pretty cool places to start is to try to get a copy of Against The Giants - The Liberation of Geoff, which comprises everything that happened in the country of Geoff, and a copy of Scourge of The Slave Lords, which covers an immense amount of stuff that happened in the Pomarj. I don't know if you're familiar with Gygax's Giant modules (G1, G2, G3) and the Drow modules (D1, D2, and D3)....the Giant modules are part of the Against The Giants campaign. The Slave Lord modules (A1 - A4) make up part of what's going on in The Scourge of The Slave Lords. Both of them were fleshed out to make complete campaign areas. I've been running the Liberation campaign for a couple years now and we are only now getting into module G2 (The Frost Giant Jarl). Lots of room in The Liberation to make side-adventures and give it your own "feel"

Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:30 pm  

Thank you all for your replies. I played through the G and D series back in the day, and I have a copy of Liberation of Geoff which I intend to mine for juicy stuff when my camapign gets to CY 588. ( Currently in 585). Scourge is, I believe the last and expanded iteration of the A series which I would love to see what was added. I would love to see those LG Geoff adventures as I figure that's where the campaign is headed after the initial war years.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:15 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    I believe I have copies of about 8 to 10 of the Geoff LG adventures. They were sent to me free, so I'm sure I can pass them on to you as well.

If anyone is aware that they should not be shared freely, please let me know. I'll wait a while to see if anyone knowledgeable on the matter objects.
    Unfortunately for we GH fans, there's a lot of complications regarding IP and whatnot with the LG adventures.
    While I played prolifically during that era, and managed to play in most adventures in my region, and was able to download many from other regions, because the campaign ended awkwardly, we have problems redistributing them.
    They were freely available at the time, but, for the most part (as I understand it) WotC didn't retain the rights to most any of them, and the rights reverted to the original authors after the campaign ended.
    The problem with that is that we would be required to have written permission from the authors ...
    The modules all contain language that says something to the effect of:
    Quote:
    Any reproduction or unauthorized use of the material or artwork contained herein is prohibited without the express written permission of [the copyright holder].

It bums me out ... I would really like to be able to share them and collect others. But, as a professional artist, I know how I would feel if I found my artwork had been shared without my permission.
    Also, I am fairly certain that Canonfire admins have pretty specifically said that there shouldn't be any file-sharing of the material being done on Canonfire.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:29 am  
    LG Archives

As far as the OP, though ...
    I have to agree with the other fellas here, SouthernGent. There's not really a comprehensive reference guide. ... though we all wish there were.
    Back in the day, one could look up the regional websites, and read about there storylines, mostt of the time.
    Some can still be gleaned using the Internet Archive (Wayback Machine), but others have been ruined even there, because the website gives a "302" response and it redirects to whatever advertising site has been put up by a webhosting service.

Sadly, the LG era was poorly preserved, except by individual members who happened to archive stuff, and that's rare in the extreme.
    Although, I will say - there are groups out there that continued playing LG (although renaming it) after the campaign ended. ... there's a possibility that they might be able to help you track down some lost history. While the campaign itself doesn't directly deal with the lore, its members may be able to help you with discussing the plotlines.
    An example is the "Greyhawk Reborn" campaign.
    Greyhawk Reborn website
    Greyhawk Reborn on Facebook
    And, incidentally, on the front page of Canonfire right now is a link to the "Canonfire Crier" which also mentions the Greyhawk Reborn campaign.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: