JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Sea of Dust Humanoid Inhabitants
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Sea of Dust Humanoid Inhabitants
    Master Greytalker

Mon May 02, 2016 6:27 pm  
    Sea of Dust Humanoid Inhabitants

In the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer it states within the description of the Sea of Dust:

The fringes of this cast basin also hold examples of humanity. A tall slender folk of ebony hue dwells on the southwest edge of the desert, pursuing a nomadic life where the caustic dust gives way to fertile soil. Another human race lives under the shadow of the Helfurnaces on the desert's eastern border. These short stocky people cover their bodies with an odorous wax to protect against the caustic dust and burning sun.

When I looked up the Sea of Dust on the Wiki it told me that the latter were introduced in the module "All that Glitters". As for the first group of people, I have no idea whom they are.

Do any of you have additional references to whom these peoples are?

Mon May 02, 2016 7:36 pm  

They seem to be from the south, probably in the region variously called Zindia or Jahind.

Greyhawk Adventures, page 90 wrote:

Some of the natives [of the Sea of Dust] show Suelish origins, but the majority are from farther south: a tall, slender, curly-haired folk with blue-black skin and slanted eyes.

I count this as evidence that the people immediately south of the Sea of Dust belong to this race. I suppose you could interpret the text as meaning they're from much further south, but it makes more sense to assume they're from just across the border, given how common they are in the Sea of Dust. Sea of Death has a reference on page 116 to "the dark Jahindi," but otherwise doesn't give any details as to the appearance of the people of Jahind or the other nations mentioned.

The Hek from All That Glitters are of Suel descent.
    GreySage

Thu May 05, 2016 2:02 pm  

The Oerth Journal #1 timeline called the ancestors of the black-skinned Sea of Dust nomads the Kersi, saying they arrived from a land called AnaKeri in outriggers in -717 SD, conquered by the Suel in -15 SD.

Some fans associate AnaKeri with the unnamed southern continent on the map of Oerth. Given the geography south of the Sea of Dust, though, I think it'd make more sense to have the region settled by immigrants from the islands labeled Nippon, since that's so much closer and I'd expect there to be some migration between those lands.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: