JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Green Demon Face as the Ultimate Dispose All
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Green Demon Face as the Ultimate Dispose All
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat May 14, 2016 8:52 am  
    The Green Demon Face as the Ultimate Dispose All

While looking over the Tomb of Horrors and considering the fate of so many adventurers who found out the hard way what the Demon Face was, I realized this would be a good place for destroying the evilly aligned magic items that adventurers acquire but cannot use. But how effective would this be? What would happen if you shoved a major artifact into the Sphere of annihilation? And how far back should the characters be standing to safely observe the result? Sounds a whole lot easier than sneaking the One Ring into Mordor.
    GreySage

Sat May 14, 2016 2:47 pm  

Usually there are only a few possible ways to destroy an artifact, so I would assume that the green demon's head and its sphere of annihilation would leave them unscathed unless the artifact was specifically tied to Acererak (or Tarnhem, St. Pentival, maybe Orcus or Vecna). It would be a good way to destroy the demi-lich form of Acererak himself.

If you're looking for an explosion, the blast radius created by tossing a rod of cancellation into a sphere of annihilation is 60 feet.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat May 14, 2016 3:34 pm  
    Re: The Green Demon Face as the Ultimate Dispose All

SouthernGent wrote:
    What would happen if you shoved a major artifact into the Sphere of annihilation?

I'm not sure if the rules on this have changed with the editions, but 1st and 2nd editions had it that an artifact could only be destroyed by a specific method, unique for each artifact. So the artifact would not be destroyed, but would instead, teleport or plane shift (at DM's discretion), so it can rear its ugly head at some other time the DM finds entertaining.

I imagine in your One Ring example, it would teleport away, only to be picked up by some other sucker who can go on to make trouble. So...with this, I'm afraid you're stuck with the fires of Mt Doom.

However, I think it might work fine for any of your other (non-artifact) evil or cursed items you're itching to get rid of.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat May 14, 2016 4:15 pm  

Thank you, Rasgon. Good safety tip to know.
    CF Admin

Mon May 23, 2016 9:04 pm  

I wrote some rules for gate-based magical catastrophes that might be inspirationally-useful in this case: http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/temp/from_kuroths_quill_04_12-destroying_gates.pdf

(Excerpted from one of my From Kuroth's Quill columns, in Knockspell #4).

Mon May 23, 2016 10:01 pm  

grodog wrote:
    (Excerpted from one of my From Kuroth's Quill columns, in Knockspell #4).

So, where can we find these? If nothing else, I'd like to know/
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: