Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Adventures from other sources converted to Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Adventures from other sources converted to Greyhawk
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:01 pm  
    Adventures from other sources converted to Greyhawk

Has anyone used adventures from other sources (worlds) and turned them into Greyhawk adventures? I have used modules from Basic D&D (King's Festival and Queen's Harvest from the Grand Duchy of Karameikos setting) as well as the Mines of Bloodstone adventure from the Realms (blasphemy I know). It was pretty easy to transplant them to use in Greyhawk and I thought they fit well. I'd be interested to hear what other adventures have been transplanted to Greyhawk.
    GreySage

Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:06 pm  

I've used one or two Generics, but no Game World specific modules. Not yet.

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:42 pm  

A little self-promotion, forgive me.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/153801/SoR1-A-Page-of-Scrolls

Easily converted to Greyhawk, especially if you are familiar with Rookroost.

Cool
    GreySage

Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:06 pm  

Every adventure I run is adapted and placed somewhere in the World of Greyhawk.

All of the Basic and Expert adventures don't have a specific mention of where in the Flanaess they exist, I've placed. For example, I put Ravenloft in the Sepia Uplands, north of the Clatspurs. I also put The Keep on the Borderlands nearby, in the northern Vesve.

Aurdraco's adventure is very well placed in Rookroost. Cool

SirXaris

Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:35 pm  

Aurdraco,

If one were using your excellent Bandit Kingdoms Summary, what common year would you set A Page of Scrolls in?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:24 pm  

That's actually a great question because I hadn't really codified it in my head yet. I think 600CY would be a great choice. That leaves 599CY as a stabilizing year in Rookroost for things to calm down and get back to "normal" while the new NPCs in charge get used to their new roles, etc.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:34 pm  

Not an adventure per se, but the Scarlet Brotherhood sourcebook mentioned that there's a bay near Hepmonaland that's prone to patches of mysteriously toxic water and attacks by strange monsters. This gave me the idea to take the books for the Scarred Lands that detail areas tainted by Titan blood (Blood Sea, Hornsaw Forest, Blood Bayou), shrink them considerably, and make them regions contaminated by Ranet's poisoned blood after Pyremious murdered her.
    Instead of the ocean being contaminated because there's an immortal Titan with his heart ripped out chained to the ocean floor, spewing out toxic and mutagenic blood, some remnant of Ranet came to rest on the site, possibly of use to restore her in some form if recovered.
    GreySage

Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:50 pm  
    Re: Adventures from other sources converted to Greyhawk

xo42 wrote:
    Has anyone used adventures from other sources (worlds) and turned them into Greyhawk adventures? I have used modules from Basic D&D (King's Festival and Queen's Harvest from the Grand Duchy of Karameikos setting) as well as the Mines of Bloodstone adventure from the Realms (blasphemy I know). It was pretty easy to transplant them to use in Greyhawk and I thought they fit well.

Where'd you put Bloodstone?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:50 pm  

Rasgon,

I put the Mine's of Bloodstone in the Lortmil mountains when I ran the adventure several years ago. I just used the actual adventure in the mines and not any of the other lead up as written in the module with the NPCs and the backstory from H1. I really liked the setting of the mines and of course the chance to battle Orcus. The H1-4 modules have tons of background and are pretty cool, but I thought it would take too much work to convert them to Greyhawk without making major changes to the areas surrounding the mines and it would have changed canon type things that I was using or planned to use. If I had it to do over again I think I would have picked a different area to put the mines. Maybe the Griff mountains or Corusk mountains. What do you think?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:12 am  

Axe of the Dwarvish Lords - Haverhill, as the module suggested

Freeport - Put it in for Dullstrand
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:42 am  

Tiernan wrote:
    Axe of the Dwarvish Lords - Haverhill, as the module suggested

Freeport - Put it in for Dullstrand

I actually ran Axe of the Dwarvish Lords a few years ago and put it in Greyhawk as suggested.
    GreySage

Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:12 pm  
    Re: Adventures from other sources converted to Greyhawk

rasgon wrote:
    Where'd you put Bloodstone?

Note that this was when I was very young - in High School - so... Razz

I put the Bloodstone adventures northof the Land of Black Ice. I had the Black Ice as more of a hundred league deep wall with a land north of that warmed enough by hot springs to be livable. It was sparsely populated, but made for a great place for my players to set up their own small kingdoms without messing with any of the Flanaess canon.

Since none of my players wanted to marry the Baron's daughter, Lady Christine, Sir Xaris accepted the offer. She became the Lady Xristine as mentioned in my article on SirXaris. Smile

SirXaris

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:31 pm  

Like SirXaris, I place the adventures I run on Oerth, usually the Flanaess (assuming its not about a journey to another plane of existence). I placed the city of Mithril (Scarred Lands) on the coast of Lake Quag and had a powerful entity slain in the lake during the Greyhawk Wars to create a "Blood Sea" that's dwindling with time but still produces wicked things. I eventually destroyed Mithril during the Ashardalon cycle of adventures. I actually had Ashardalon temporarily leave the Bastion of Souls to raze the city in dragon flame (my Smaug/Laketown homage).

Usually, I reskin the modules, changing names and locations as needed.

I'm placing the Hoard of the Dragon Queen largely along the Wild Coast. Princes of the Apocalypse has plenty of advice for placing the adventure in the in and around the old Temple of Elemental Evil.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:16 pm  

I've been running Legacy of the Crystal Shard from FR's Icewind Dale in Blackmoor. Basically I reversed the Icewind Dale map and placed the region of Ten-Towns along the Tusking Strand where Tonnsborg lies. IMC, Tonnsborg is no longer a remote fishing village, but rather just the Zeai word for "Ten-Towns". I use Frederick Weining's excellent article from OJ #5 as my primary resource for Blackmoor, but the region of Ten-Towns/Tonnsborg is so isolated from the rest of Blackmoor that it's a challenge conveying much of the historical and political structure into the game.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:29 am  

I used:

B2 Keep on the Borderlands
    Wild Coast, near the Pomarj

B3 The Lost City
    under the Land of Black Ice, close to Blackmoor

parts of B9 Castle Caldwell and Beyond
    Wild Coast

X1 Isle of Dread
    southern seas, near Hepmonaland
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:07 am  

CombatMedic wrote:
    I used:

B2 Keep on the Borderlands
    Wild Coast, near the Pomarj

-Me too. At the juncture of the Jewel and the Handmaiden. Just turn the map.

CombatMedic wrote:
    I used:
    X1 Isle of Dread
    southern seas, near Hepmonaland

-Thta's pretty much where it is in the Dungeon Magazine adventure paths.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:22 pm  

Dungeon Magazine had a five part series called the Mere of Dead Men. It was supposed to be in FR's Sword Coast, but I found it worked pretty well in the Hool Marshes.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:22 pm  

I'm running my adaptation of B3 Palace of the Silver Princess at TotalCon this weekend, inspired by Scott Casper's "Ahlissa" article in Oerth Journal #16.
    CF Admin

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:41 pm  

I've used the MERP Ardor adventure and ported it over to the drow/underoerth.

Wed May 25, 2016 8:22 am  

I think I've used quite a few!

Let's see....

For major adventures, I used King of the Trollhaut Warrens and placed it in the Rushmoors.

I also used the FR (I know, sue me!) Castle Spulzeer in place of the Ghost Tower of Inverness. Sorry, I just think the Ghost Tower to be a seriously flawed module for use in a real campaign.

Further, I followed it up with the Ravenloft module The Forgotten Terror, which took place inside a gem. I used it for what happened INSIDE the Soul Gem.

I was ALMOST going to use the Bloodstone stuff, AND place it in the Lortmills too. I didn't though. I needed a dwarven mine, and I ended up going with L3, Deep Dwarven Delve. Well, I guess that's a GH, but I moved it to the Lortmils.

I've used a bunch of dungeon adventures, which I'm not sure really count.[/u]
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon May 30, 2016 8:26 am  

ragnar wrote:

I also used the FR (I know, sue me!) Castle Spulzeer in place of the Ghost Tower of Inverness. Sorry, I just think the Ghost Tower to be a seriously flawed module for use in a real campaign. [/u]

Very cool ragnar, I read through Castle Spulzeer and liked it and have been wanting to use it at some point. I agree with you about Ghost Tower of Inverness. I know it's a classic adventure, but for some reason I was never a big fan of it. Maybe it's because it was originally written for a tournament, but it felt off to me too.
    GreySage

Mon May 30, 2016 7:35 pm  

I intend to put "Tomb of the Lizard King" in the Mistmarsh out of convenience, and "Return to the Keep of the Borderlands" between the eastern border Domain of Greyhawk and Urnst, also out of convenience.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:16 pm  

Using an adaptation of "The Brinewall Legacy", the first adventure from Pathfinder's Jade Regent adventure path, and setting it in the Wild Coast. It should segue into part of the Savage Tide AP or (some of) Against the Slave Lords, depending on what the party chooses to do.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: