Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Postfest XVIII (Richfest 2016): Figurines of Wondrous Power!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Postfest Forum & Archive
    Postfest XVIII (Richfest 2016): Figurines of Wondrous Power!
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed May 18, 2016 11:31 pm  
    Postfest XVIII (Richfest 2016): Figurines of Wondrous Power!

Welcome to Postfest XVIII (Richfest 2016): Figurines of Wondrous Power!

This Postfest will focus on less well known Figurines of Wondrous Power! Here are some suggestions as to what to include in your entries:

Magic item entries for Figurines of Wondrous Power include not only the type and number of animals in a set of such figurines, but the material they are made from; usually some sort of precious or semi-precious stone. Apart from that, such entries include rules for the use of these figurines (i.e. what they do in-game). Considering the variety of rules systems out there, some people might not be so inclined to include such crunchy bits, but I think it would be helpful to include them to illustrate how each author sees their figurine (s) working in general within the confines of the game (at least one version of it that is), and people can translate such rules to whatever format they wish. Don’t feel penned in by this suggestion though! Feel free to make your submission game edition specific or neutral, super crunchy (i.e. lots o' rules) or completely fluffy (background), or anywhere in between. Additionally, authors may wish to include the history of their figurines, such as who is thought to have first made them, who used them/famous uses of them, etc. Mind you, this is not a hard and fast format, but more people will find your article useful if you adhere to at least some of the above suggestions. No pressure though! Write what YOU want to write about! Now, on to the format...

Your submission should be in the realm of 1,000-4,000 words or so in length (more is fine; less not so much). That is not set in stone, but it is a good average length for any Article. As usual, be sure to not only Spell Check your article but read it over yourself, as Spell Check will catch many things, but seldom everything. You may submit your article on the Submit Article page. Be sure to write a short introductory teaser for your article, and cite any sources you may have used as well. See the directions at the top of the Submit Article page if you have any problems with the text not being accepted (this may happen if you use Internet Explorer). Even if the text is not accepted, you must still go through the process of submitting your article title on the Submit Article page. When e-mailing an article to editors<at>canonfire<dot>com, be sure that your article is in simple Word form, contains no unsupported fonts, and with no formatting of any sort (i.e. the simpler the better). This just makes things a whole lot easier for us to deal with, so please take the time to do this. When submitting your article, please be sure to put the title of your submission in the following format:

Postfest XVIII (Richfest 2016): TITLE OF YOUR ARTICLE

*Note: keep the "TITLE OF YOUR ARTICLE" bit under 44 characters in length - save the dissertation for your...um....dissertation! Happy

***Submissions are due by June 30, 2016.***

Thanks, and get to writing! ---The Canonfire! Staff

Last edited by Cebrion on Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:27 pm; edited 6 times in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 19, 2016 10:15 am  

Cool! I was wondering when we would see another of these. Looking forward to some good reading.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu May 19, 2016 3:35 pm  

Wondrous!!! Cool

-- K.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 19, 2016 7:07 pm  

Kewlness.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu May 19, 2016 8:29 pm  

Sweet! Good job getting this going CF! staff!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun May 22, 2016 3:55 am  

Since I was the first one with an official submission for this PostFest, I'm curious: Who else in the community will be participating in this event? I'd love to see everybody's ideas and contributions!!! Happy

-- K.
    CF Admin

Mon May 23, 2016 8:59 pm  

I'll start noodling on a submission, Carlos, but NTX is in a week, so I'm not likely to start in earnest on anything until afterward.

Mon May 23, 2016 9:46 pm  

Absolutely, Allan! I'm incredibly excited to hear that you'll be contributing, though!!! Happy

-- K.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:26 am  

Time is ticking away faster than you may realize, folks. 19 days to go...

Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:36 am  

Working on my second submission as we speak, Cebrion!!! very happy

-- K.
    CF Admin

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:10 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Time is ticking away faster than you may realize, folks. 19 days to go...

Mine's half-drafted now. I don't think I'll submit a second entry since I have another month-end writing deadline to squeeze in, but we'll see how the time goes ;)

Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:05 pm  

I have challenged my table to take up this gauntlet.

Within our campaign, they earn "Gamer-points" for extracurricular activities (figure painting, game support, etc). With these points they can purchase a skill check re-rolls, mundane items, or other various non-impact variants. I have offered a bounty (500GP) for an approved submittal.

So between myself and my table that should equate to 4-10 submissions.

They did have a few questions...
    1> can they include a picture? Some are artistic and would like that included with their submission.
    2> Will the accepted ones be published in the Oerth Journal?
    3> Do they have to have a CF Account or (for expedience) can I submit in their behalf?

DLG
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:04 pm  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    I have challenged my table to take up this gauntlet.

Within our campaign, they earn "Gamer-points" for extracurricular activities (figure painting, game support, etc). With these points they can purchase a skill check re-rolls, mundane items, or other various non-impact variants. I have offered a bounty (500GP) for an approved submittal.

This is an AWESOME idea!!! Cool

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    So between myself and my table that should equate to 4-10 submissions.

They did have a few questions...
    1> can they include a picture? Some are artistic and would like that included with their submission.
    2> Will the accepted ones be published in the Oerth Journal?
    3> Do they have to have a CF Account or (for expedience) can I submit in their behalf?

DLG

1. Yes, art can be included.
    2. Postfest entries are not published in the Oerth Journal, though the entries of each Postfest might, at some later date, be compiled into individual PDFs.
    3. While it is not necessary, it is better if they have an account (so far as author/usernames are concerned) as then the articles will be attributed to them and not to you. Besides, the more the merrier! Laughing

Only 8 DAYS to go, folks! Shocked

Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:44 pm  

Bump, deadline's nearly here!

edit @ 2:21am: Done! :D

Last edited by grodog on Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:11 pm  

Two days to go, folks, and only ONE submission has been turned in. Get a move on, procrastinators! Happy

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:56 pm  

I had problems submitting my article, so I emailed it to the editors alias.

Regardless, it's done :D

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:15 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Two days to go, folks, and only ONE submission has been turned in. Get a move on, procrastinators! Happy

My bunch only seems to respond well to bribes and pressure...

" The minutemen" I sometimes call them... not because they are patriots... but because they wait to the LAST MINUTE.. rolleyes Drives me crazy...

We had what we call a "workshop" night... non-gaming but support gaming activities and dinner...

Anyway.. update..

I showed them all how simple it would be to set up an account at Canonfire... but they were concerned that there is a posting window? between when the account is set in place and when they can post? Its been so long since I dealt with that I honestly don't recall... Any way.. in the interim, I will forward what they have before the deadline... we currently have 6, but my minutemen might still come through with some last bit heroics...

MY only casual observation looking through what they have are as follows (And as voiced during dinner this evening).

1> All are 3.5e based..... I was hoping for some real risk-takers to throw in an alternate other than the edition we currently play,,, but no brave souls... I hope to finish a 2e offering in Honor of my ole friend Lanthorn... Wink

2> All were confused as to how to properly calculate the GP value.. as it seems there is no real rhyme or reason to the 3.5e methodology for determine it.... I conveyed its more "art than science" for 3.5e and ultimately each DM is free to massage that according to what fits for their gaming... I myself tend to lean more strongly on the ole 1e /2e methods for spell research and item creation... so YMMV

Sofar....

We have,
    a Bison of Pelor....
    a Songbird of the Gnarley
    a Respite of Fharlanghn
    a Tear of Celene
    an Indie Stone

and a revisit to an old article I wrote...
    a variation of a Bobby of St Cuthbert

Hopefully my bunch will continue to the buzzer..

GM the DM
    aka
    DLG
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:58 am  

Articles sent! Hope you like them upon release! very happy

-- K.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:45 pm  
    Postfest XVIII

Done. Astonished. It ain't polished, but it's submitted. Smile
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:53 am  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    I showed them all how simple it would be to set up an account at Canonfire... but they were concerned that there is a posting window? between when the account is set in place and when they can post?

2> All were confused as to how to properly calculate the GP value.. as it seems there is no real rhyme or reason to the 3.5e methodology for determine it.... I conveyed its more "art than science" for 3.5e and ultimately each DM is free to massage that according to what fits for their gaming... I myself tend to lean more strongly on the ole 1e /2e methods for spell research and item creation... so YMMV

Don't worry overly much about the 3.5 stat-block details. Things can be edited later, if needed. Otherwise, get them to register, and once they have done that have them post in the "Introduce yourself thread"/comment on a few threads. Submit Article capability should unlock once they post a few times (it might be 5 posts). Basically, if they can post a thread, they can submit an article. They can always post junk in the Back Alley if they want to instead, just to get to the post count they need. I'll open a thread there for them to do just that.

Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:08 am  

Also, I wanted to post this bit separately so that it didn't get lost within another post...

I will be posting one or two articles per day, in the order they are received (for the most part) until they are all posted. So, if you are running a bit late, you have some time... but not much!!!

Carry on.

Starting us off is the first submission, by Kraftwerk. Cool

Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:46 pm  

Huzzah!

Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:25 pm  

And the offerings keep on coming! Cool I've got three more in the queue, but no text for them...yet. It is first come, first served from here on out, so get your submissions turned in ASAP. Happy

Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:48 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    ... get your submissions turned in ASAP. Happy

Well, I nearly forgot about the PostFest with Independence Day and all, but, i just submitted an article (that wasn't yet in queue), and emailed you about it.
    It's a couple of Figurines of Wonderous Power from the Rhennee, along with a couple of other items mentioned, just for fun.
    Hope everyone likes it. Smile
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    CF Admin

Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:58 pm  

Very cool, will keep an eye out for them!

I had another idea for a figurine that I may submit, too (one based on the carrion crawler! :D ).

Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:53 pm  

Well done guys! Wow nice interest in this topic. I wish I hadn't been a slouch and thought to write something up. Kudos to all!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:41 pm  

Yes, i concur with Mort. Well done, gents. Thanks to Kraftwerk (and perhaps Gary/Cebrion/others?), for spearheading this. Has been quite awhile since i actually wrote up gaming material of this sort. Wish i woulda got started sooner, and thus completely finished my entry. My first postfest. I look forward to the next.
    CF Admin

Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:43 am  

It was definitely fun, and it's always nice to dig back into Greyhawk and create some new stuff :D

Allan.

Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:21 pm  

All NINE of the Postfest entries are up now, but if anybody submits an entry before Monday then I will put them up too. Some of the entries have already passed on from the front page. To see ALL of the Postfest entries, go here: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&new_topic=101

Awesome work, and congrats to all! Happy

EDIT: By the way, if anyone sees something in their article that they want changed, just send me a PM with details on the changes to be made, and I will take care of it asap.

Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:39 pm  

An archive page for Postfest XVIII (Richfest 2016): Figurines of Wondrous Power! is now available, and it has been added to the master Postfest Archive page.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: