JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Anna's Atlas of the Flanaess
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Anna's Atlas of the Flanaess [ Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:29 am  

Hi Anna,

Wonderful work, as always. I couple of thoughts to share.

You have a label "Yan-Ti Lands of H-Thiss'Kaa." I believe it should be "Yuan -Ti," referring the the monster.

It may be endemic to maps in complex areas such as this, but

1) Melkot and surrounds do not appear "live," as in colored, on either the Yeomanry Map or on the Sea Princes Map. Maybe they will be part of the HellFurnaces map?

2) The confluence of the Javan and Hool Rivers is very hard to see. While technically not party of the Hold, excluding it makes the map harder to comprehend at a glance.

3) The extent of the Hool Marshes seems off, particularly above the Hool River. Shouldn't the Marshes nearly abut both Melkot and The Tors? I'm looking at the 4 Part Dragon Magazine Map.

Lastly, a purely aesthetic note. This map, unlike any other, looks somewhat "muddy," "cloudy," or generally indistinct. The relief and the colors are not as crisp. Maybe this is intentional to suggest the "heat" in the area or a hot environment? Or maybe its just me.

I really like the sound of your custom map idea, that you mentioned upthread. I eagerly await details.

BTW - Will you be completing all the smaller atlas map sections, or are you permanently moving to just realm maps now?

Best regards,

GVD Smile

Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:50 am  

Hi again Anna,

Of note, my previous post concerned the Hold of the Sea Princes Map.

Thinking my eyes might be going on me with respect to the "muddy" note I made above, I did a comparison with the 2nd Keoland map from your site and found - "The Cryp of Thestos" on the upper edge of the Dreadwood. Should this be "Crypt?"

Then again, the Thestos Cryps might just be representing, letting Gradsul Bloods know what they gonna get they try to get all up in the Dreadwood. Wink Laughing

Best regards,

GVD Happy

Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:19 pm  

I'll try and answer all the great input GVD!

You are totally right with Yuan-Ti and the Crypt of Thestos, spelling is not a talent I can be blamed for, so I'm so glad you checking my work!

Melkot deserves its own map and I'm going to send it to Maldin first for approval and ask him for herladry so it will be more complete.

The fuzziness in Hool and the river confluence is not your eyes. It comes as a side effect from the use of layer effects to make the river look like they are depressed into the land a bit, the effect creates a "ditch" through the marsh which look funny. I'm aware of the problem and will try and improve it. I will publish an updated map soon.

The extent of the Hool Marshes, youre right I need to exend the marshy area closer to Melkot. Will update that!

Custom maps to suit individual campaign variations are a must if you make a detailed maps of a setting like Greyhawk. You have different ages back in time to game in, and each campaign evolves differently where borders shift and things get burned to ashes etc.
    Hawker's also seem to be a stubborn bunch who has strong opinions that needs to be catered for, so to layer maps so they can be customized have been something I have designed into my work from the start.
    But it is also best to work out a base map to customize from, which is what I'm doing now. Even if you want to play a game set in before the Wars you might like to use the settlements and other details but shift the borders around and reinstate some of the ruined cities for example.

Until I upgraded my hardware and started to work in Photoshop and Illustrator CS6 64-bit, I had to work on a small piece at a time. Now I can have to whole map in one big document so I started to divide the task to what work best to research, one realm at a time. The latest series of maps are only preview maps, a way for me to receive as much input and criticism as possible, to weed out as many error as possible before anything goes into print.

I can export any part of the map I like as a jpg or layered PDF or play with it more for special effects. I have some really cool ideas for some really cool maps Wink

I'm also going to do some major updates to the parts I mapped back in the 90's. I will start with Verbobonc. the Wild Coast, Pomarj and Verbobonc are also in need for some revision before print. So they will also be presented as preview maps for criticism the coming weeks. I'll jump a bit back and forth between mapping new places and doing updates, it gets a bit too tedious to do the same thing for more than a few days. The Amedio Hellfurnaces and Sea of dust are enormous.

Here is a small teaser Smile

Thanks again for all your Support!

Anna
    GreySage

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:46 pm  

Awesome, Anna! It's such an incredible project. Happy

SirXaris

Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:37 am  

Anna wrote:
    Even if you want to play a game set in before the Wars you might like to use the settlements and other details but shift the borders around and reinstate some of the ruined cities for example.

This is exactly what excites me about your proposal for custom maps. After years (literally) of waffling back and forth, I have finally completely given up on the Greyhawk Wars. Too much of the development leaves me cold. I have also gone back to playing 1e. However, some of the GHWars detail, I do like. Being able to pick and choose as you suggest sounds perfect! Smile

You know - with technology what it is - one could imagine an RPG setting much as you describe - (1) base setting, fully mapped, (2) customized modifications (within some definition of reason) available to DMs and players at a reasonable cost, (3) future developments (products) of the base setting derived from customizations (sort of crowd sourced game design). Who knows Anna, one day WotC may call you up to the Big Leagues! Wink

Thank you for your responses! I appreciate all of your hard work!

GVD Smile

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:13 pm  

Wonderful to see someone who thinks like I do, you're starting to see maps as an essential part of a game too Wink
    I doubt WotC will come around on that soon, but I might be wrong. They might start to realize that they are more to publishing RPG's than printing books. I have a whole slew of ideas I'm going to try and realize in the coming years, customizing campaign maps on commission are only the beginning!

The following maps are on their way soon:
    A first look at Amedio, the northern half at least
    Sea Princes update, sharper and some added features
    Verbobonc, a new and updated look at an old time favorite

Then their are more in the pipeline,... Hellfurnaces, Sea of Dust, Dry Steppes and the Sulhaut Mountains. Lots of things too keep me occupied Smile

Thanks again for all your help!
    Anna
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:42 pm  

Time for a whole range of preview maps. I call them preview maps since there purpose is to weed out errors before anything goes into print or other type of publication.

First out is the Sea Princes:

Full size download here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Sea%20Princes130707.jpg

Then it is south across Jeklea Bay to Sasserine and Cauldron:

Full size download here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Sasserine%20Couldron130707.jpg

Now its time to take on the enorumous Amedio Jungle!

Full size download here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Ameido%20northern130701.jpg

Full size download here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Amedio%20Central130706.jpg

Full size download here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Amedio%20southern130706.jpg

That was all new maps I had to show for now, but soon their will be time for the map I'm most proud of, the Tilvanot Peninsula Wink

Thanks again for all your support!

Anna
    GreySage

Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:31 pm  

I'm curious about the political boundaries (red, dotted lines) around the various forts and cities in the Amedio. Did you use any sources for those areas, or are they your own best guesses as to the territory claimed/controlled by each point of civilization?

SirXaris

Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:08 pm  

Its my interpretation that the Scarlet Brotherhood at least in the CY590s are not controlling the whole Amedio. They base their presence on coastal fortresses and make raids to collect slaves and various other resources back to the forts to the ship them back to their heartlands for use or selling.

I remember reading somewhere about fears of overstretching and that the SB empire was going into more of consolidation rather than conquest. So its my interpretation since details for Amedio are sketchy at best and not much is mentioned considering how wast it is.
    GreySage

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:00 pm  

Thanks, Anna! That's what I guessed, but wanted to be sure I hadn't missed a source for the Amedio. Smile

SirXaris

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:31 pm  

Annaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... Would you mind doing some comission work for this poor writer monkey?

I'd send a PM, but this way, you can simply write "no", without being impolite.
    But I have been looking for a mapper for some time, and, well, I like your maps. A lot. Smile

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:34 pm  

Le Noir Faineant wrote:
    Annaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... Would you mind doing some comission work for this poor writer monkey?

I'd send a PM, but this way, you can simply write "no", without being impolite.
    But I have been looking for a mapper for some time, and, well, I like your maps. A lot. Smile

FYI
    while Anna does visit us from time to time (which we all love) she is more responsive (I'm sure from being busy) on her site Located Here
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:52 am  

In contact with Anna. :) Thanks, Galen! :)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:08 am  

Most Welcome Le Noir Faineant...
    And to steal a template moniker from Lanthorn

Dark Lord Galen
    Unworthy Paladin of the Cartographer Goddess

Wink
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:17 pm  

It would be better to mention credits when each map section goes up, rather than waiting until everything is done. Do not go with something as vague as "various Living Greyhawk sources", or similar. If you don't know the specific person who might have done something (i.e. the source was a group project), just credit the source by name and those who worked on it, if known (i.e. "Living Greyhawk Gazetteer Map: Dennis Kauth, Rob Lazaretti, et al.").

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:49 am  

I received widespread support during this from many Greyhawk fans and community members including several prominent creators of Greyhawk material. Thank you so much all of you who want me to share my maps with the Greyhawk community. It would be sad if only me and my gaming group would be the only ones to make use of it.

To credit all the sources for information is almost impossible and would create so much extra work for me that I have decided to not do it. I can rightly be criticized for it, but to do a map of this magnitude on a shoestring budget means you can't do everything to track down your sources and register them and list them. So I will make a long list of people that created Greyhawk and helped me over the years, to be included on the final map. During the 15 years I've been donging this I've received lots of comments, emails and forums posts, reviews etc. So far only one person have been negative and accused me of misusing his creations, and his contributions are very minor. The opposite, to give me the rights to put their settlements and names on the map have been the norm.

Now on to my latest updates!

Here is the first Full map PDF test:

It has layers and all the features on it, and the public layers are turned on. My private layers are there but initially turned off. It is 214MB in size and in order to achieve this I have down sampled the terrain from 600dpi to 50dpi. Hopefully its enough for you to use and check that everything are where it suppose to be, while still responsive on most computers.

It is a huge file with thousands of objects so it will require a decent machine to display, and it might take some time for the terrain to resample while panning and zooming. So please be patient and report errors.

You can get the file here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Flanaess%20Full%20map%20test%20130916.pdf

The Sultanate of Zeif preview map:

You can download it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Zeif130909.jpg

Thanks again for your support!

Anna
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:44 pm  

I completely understand, and this is certainly a tough gig that you signed up for. Some will be understanding, and some will not. Leaving out something that further complicates things is always an option too. I guess you will have to go with a more general list of credits then, such as "various Living Greyhawk sources", etc., as that has apparently been deemed perfectly suitable for even those that would complain.

You have accomplished a huge amount over the last twelve months, so I guess that your new system has been working out well. Keep up the good work, and the full map is shaping up to look insanely awesome!!! Cool

Last edited by Cebrion on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:11 pm  

Anna, your work is wonderful and much-appreciated.

Thank you. Smile

SirXaris

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:06 am  

Ditto SX's rebuttal..... Your efforts have only added to the collective.....
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:20 pm  

Thanks guys! Happy

Here are something you should try: http://ghmaps.net/onlinemap/onlinemap.html

I'm sure you like it Exclamation
    GreySage

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:33 pm  

Anna, I am sooo! happy for this map. When you finish that SE corner, I'm going to print the entire thing off and attach it to my living room ceiling. Happy

SirXaris

Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:48 pm  

After a REALLY long time here is a first look at the whole map!!! Happy

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Flanaess%20Full%20map131027.pdf

It is a layered PDF map that is 245MB in size, so it will take some time to download and a proper PDF viewer to use. It is just a preview so it still needs corrections and things might be missing here and there. But it covers the whole area I set out to map 15 years ago. So now I need your help to spot things that still needs attention.

Thanks again for all your help!
    Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:52 pm  

Wonderful Anna! What a thrill to see it all together, and get a real appreciation for the Flanaess, and for all the work it took you to reach this point.

I will do my best to scour the minutiae, and find anything that might need correcting, although I'm sure ill find myself lost in the wonder of it all before long.

My enduring gratitude for all your efforts!
    GreySage

Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:36 pm  

Anna, this is a work that you have every right to be very proud of accomplishing. Know that you have made every Greyhawk fan in the world very, very happy. Happy

SirXaris

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:01 pm  

Great stuff. If you are including adventure locales, the Forbidden City is located in the Pelisso Swamp of Hepmonaland.

Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:05 am  

Ok a month is long enough for this thread to sit idle after Big C's housekeeping Wink
    In case anyone hasn't noticed Anna has posted a high resolution version of the entire map for review here.
    Here or Her Site
    Here
    *Edit* Forgot to forwarn all that this file is HUGE (1.47G) so it takes awhile. On her site there is also a condensed version as well.
    DLG
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:39 am  

And everyone should remember that it is not the final version. Be sure to look for things that might be missing, and let Anna know about them if you find any.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:48 pm  

First, thank you so much Cebrion for holding my back and defending me Wink

So there are a ton of things to report Smile

First I have a finished map, that I have had some great help of no other than Darlene herself!

This is a 576 CY version 34x45 inches in size, and you canread all about it here: http://ghmaps.net/?p=1078

If you want to download high quality versions of my maps you can read about how here: http://ghmaps.net/?p=1091

The Big map is getting close to being finished, what is hopefully the last preview is being uploaded now. You can download a compressed PDF version 168MB here: http://ghmaps.net/special/FlanaessFullmap131212small.pdf

The online map will (if everything works out) be up again tomorrow. It can be found here: http://ghmaps.net/onlinemap/onlinemap.html

Again thank you all for your help over the years making this project possible! Smile

Anna
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:59 am  

Yay! A 576 CY map!

***Check your PMs too.***

Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:36 pm  

Wewp! 576CY! Thank you so much!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:10 pm  

It took a while but here it is!

You can download a layered 171MB PDF here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Final_map_140116small.zip

Online and print quality versions will be available next week.

Thank you for all your support over the years, you made this project possible!

Anna

Last edited by Anna on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:13 pm  

Yeehaw! Woohoo! Happy

SirXaris

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:18 pm  

Thank you! Smile

Here is the map is 6 JPG pieces:

http://ghmaps.net/special/Final_map140116-part1.jpg

http://ghmaps.net/special/Final_map140116-part2.jpg

http://ghmaps.net/special/Final_map140116-part3.jpg

http://ghmaps.net/special/Final_map140116-part4.jpg

http://ghmaps.net/special/Final_map140116-part5.jpg

http://ghmaps.net/special/Final_map140116-part6.jpg
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:48 am  

With this monumental project done, I am wondering, what is up next for Anna? Other than a bit of rest that is. Happy

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:14 pm  

Someone smart with years of experience of the RPG industry said that, "the reward for work well done, is more work" Smile

I have a couple of map commissions that I'm working on right now. Compared to the Flaness map they are small, and I'm glad that I don't have to research them!

My next big project is something that will eventually become bigger, much bigger in fact than the Flaness map. I'm working on a system of map tiles for dungeon, wilderness and town maps. It is a commercial project for both digital and print use, and I will present it in detail later this year.

Here is a promotional image I made to show off my skills:

A high resolution version can be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296601/Promo1_1.jpg

Then there is the Atlas version of the Flanaess, and how about hexes? Smile I'm working on that too on the side.
    Paladin

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:26 pm  

Anna on her GHMap Site wrote:

The next project……
    Another reason for me not posting as many updates as usual is that I’m also working hard on my next project. It is a commercial project so it will all be public, but it is still to early for me to show anything. But it will be a complete shift in perspective, from the big picture to a close in view….
    I hope you will find it as useful as my Flanaess maps, and my next project is also generic fantasy compatible with any game system using 5ft squares. An it is in a way even bigger and more grand in scope……..

Thank you again for all your help and support, much appreciated!

One can only wonder at the talent
    DLG

*Edit* lol guess she was responding as I was responding in her behalf Laughing
    Paladin

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:12 pm  

It would also seem congrats are in order for the Demi-Goddess of Cartography

Certainly well Deserved!!! Happy Happy
    2014 Ennie Nominations
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:14 pm  

Its only a submission, but who knows Smile

But thank you!
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:46 pm  

Hex layers are always good, and I am glad to hear that you have other projects. You could always do battle mats, floor plans for town buildings, dungeons, ships, etc. There are a few decent ones out there, but it is not like one can have too many of them. Happy

Thu May 01, 2014 10:47 am  

On the question of what constitutes "canon" for the map, and on the principal that Anna's maps are a never-ending work in progress...

Always in search of new Flaneass canon, I took a look at this:

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_dungeon_adventures.html

...and bought Dungeon #89. As grodog suggests, "Wedding Bells" is a Greyhawk adventure in all but name. The geography is a dead ringer for the meeting of the Jewel and Handmaiden Rivers. It's set on the east side of the rivers, in an area described as a buffer zone for an Elven land [obviously Celene], and the wedding is supposed to take place on Freeday, 7th of Goodmonth [Wink]. My only reservation is that the area is shown as being more populated than I allowed for, but YMMV.

FWIW, I'm going to integrate the information into my campaign. IMC, that area is currently at Readyreat, 578. This will give me time to have all these hamlets and thorps get settled! Since there is no mention of a recent attack, and no sign of one, I assume that the adventure occurs in Goodmonth, 583, before the Pomarj invasion. Of course, its possible that Turrosh Mak's guys didn't make it to that area, although I always assumed that they at least tried. Again, I might simply have to modify "the future." Laughing

So, I'd argue that this may be canon, but not for a 576 map.

Cebrion wrote:
    And everyone should remember that it is not the final version...

-Will there ever really be a "final" version? It's an eternal "work in progress." Sort of like GH itself.

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    It would also seem congrats are in order for the Demi-Goddess of Cartography

Certainly well Deserved!!! Happy Happy
    2014 Ennie Nominations

-HUZZAH!

Anna wrote:
    Its only a submission, but who knows Smile

But thank you!

-It's 1 May now, when's the decision? Don't let false modesty prevent you from telling us when you've won! (knock on wood) Smile
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:03 pm  
    Greyhawk Population figures

I just thought I'd post this here, in order to avoid making a new and likely unnecessary thread. Has anyone done much work on the populations of Greyhawk's countries. I've figured out the square area of various countries, then used the Doomsday Book to get population figures and such. Boy does it NOT come out anywhere near the same!

I figured a thread was already here, for something as obvious as this, but for the life of me I couldn't find one. Any help would be appreciated. :)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:20 pm  
    Congratulations!

Congratulations on the Ennie nomination (see http://www.ennie-awards.com/blog/2014-ennie-awards-nominees)!
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:19 pm  
    Re: Greyhawk Population figures

ragnar wrote:
    I just thought I'd post this here, in order to avoid making a new and likely unnecessary thread. Has anyone done much work on the populations of Greyhawk's countries. I've figured out the square area of various countries, then used the Doomsday Book to get population figures and such. Boy does it NOT come out anywhere near the same!

I figured a thread was already here, for something as obvious as this, but for the life of me I couldn't find one. Any help would be appreciated. :)

This thread is only for discussion of Anna's Atlas of Greyhawk and other projects. If you want to discuss populations in general, find an existing thread or create a new one. Unfortunately, the Search the Forums function will not be of much use regarding such a commonly used word as "population".

Last edited by Cebrion on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:50 am; edited 2 times in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:40 am  

Looking at Anna Meyer's map (http://ghmaps.net/onlinemap/onlinemap.html) where the Yeomanry, Hool Marshes and Keoland meet, there are a couple of places where I couldn't find any information about them: Parlfray's Keep and Sirister's Tower.

Any ideas where they come from?

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:36 pm  

Good question carlanco!

Parlfray's keep is from "Night Below". The Yeomanry League placed it on their LG campaign map.

Serister's Keep has its origin from LG adventures as well. The Lamia "Kjali the Cunning" was once enslaved by a local pyromancer, named Serister, and was held in stasis for some three hundred years after he was killed by Keoish forces. I liked the story and decided to give the Pyromancer a tower. So the tower and its placement is of my origin, but he name is from the LG campaign.

Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:34 am  

Thanks Anna!

Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:20 am  

Hi Everyone!

I have made a zip file with all the heraldry from my map: http://ghmaps.net/heraldry/

It also includes a number of my own design so keep and use the ones you like!

Anna
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:22 pm  

Anna wrote:
    Hi Everyone!

I have made a zip file with all the heraldry from my map: http://ghmaps.net/heraldry/

Anna

Thank you!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat May 02, 2015 3:15 am  

Anna wrote:
    Hi Everyone!

Anna

Thumbs up, and thank you.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:31 am  

New downloads page for the massive map, and all of the smaller maps: http://ghmaps.net/greyhawk-maps/flaness-map-download/
    Cool

Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:43 pm  
    I got lucky on ebay

I bought the 2 books from the Greyawk box set on ebay last week for $15.99, and they arrived today. And to my surprise inside the books were both original maps of the Flanaess in pretty much perfect condition ( really high quality folded into squares ), also were 2 giant maps in hex grid of Ravenscrag Castle and the surrounding area's. Any Idea what the maps of Ravenscrag Castle by Derek C. Watson pertain to?
    GreySage

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:59 am  

Sorry, not a clue . . . and Google didn't help. Sad

Unless it's the real world castle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravenscraig_Castle

Might I suggest you cast "Summon Rasgon?" Wink

Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:29 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Sorry, not a clue . . . and Google didn't help. Sad

Unless it's the real world castle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravenscraig_Castle

Might I suggest you cast "Summon Rasgon?" Wink

thanks for trying though, but another pointed me to Judges Guild. Judges Guild made the universal module Ravenscrag castle 1981 among others.
    GreySage

Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:35 pm  

Interesting, must be on page "X" of a Google search. I'll have to try again.

Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:04 pm  

Ravenscrag was a Judges Guild Module
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:04 pm  

SouthernGent wrote:
    Ravenscrag was a Judges Guild Module

dont know why the seller put those maps in the greyhawk books but there really well made and HUGE lol.... Im still smiling over the Oerth Maps, and the condition there in.... thought i was only buying the books at that price.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:03 am  

Does anyone know where the ripper mines in Bone March come from?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:46 am  

Anyone know where Geshtai's Spring or Fool's Rest are in the Bright Desert? Or is still a "secret" (i.e., up to the DM)?
    Paladin

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:22 am  

James,
    Might try Dungeon #98 seems like thee was a bright desert article there, but not sure if it is mentioned... but there is a good detail map.
    Paladin

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:23 am  

@ Sander, I'll sk Anna when I see her this week.it may be part of her private campaign set in that same area.....
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:40 am  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    James,
    Might try Dungeon #98 seems like thee was a bright desert article there, but not sure if it is mentioned... but there is a good detail map.

-It wasn't (either that, or I need to have my eyes checked Wink). That's why I asked.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:47 pm  

Does anyone know where most of the places in the Duchy of Ulek come from? Specifically Winterdorf, Barleyton, Weaverton, Hurstwerks Keep, Hoch Dunglorin?

Google, Encyclopedia Greyhawkania, Oerth Journal, and my Living Greyhawk modules have been no help.
    Paladin

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:46 pm  

Anna Map News
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=71374#71374
    Paladin

Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:44 pm  

Not Exactly Greyhawk News.... but does show us what the Demi-Goddess of Cartography has been up to of late.
    The World of Midgard....
    http://midgardmap.koboldpress.com/

It does however give us an idea of her expanding talents and a glimpse at things to come with her new Greyhawk Adventures as seen on her patron account.
    https://www.patreon.com/annabmeyer/posts
    For any that have been following her patron site, you can see her new banner inspired by the Lendore Isles coming to life as never before....

I for one am excited to see where Greyhawk goes in her and Darlene's combined efforts
    Cool
    Thanks to Kobold Press for sharing the news.

DLG
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:36 am  

About a day ago Anna posted in the Canonfire! Facebook Group that she will updating this thread soon!

Link to the FB Group thread she posted in...
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/145589585501508/permalink/1737714096289041/

I look forward to her Greyhawk Maps 2.0 project she is about to begin. She wants to test some new tools and learn some new skills. We all get to be beneficiaries of that effort.
    Master Greytalker

Sun May 13, 2018 11:18 am  
    Yeomanry - Singleton and Fort Thomas

Anyone know the sources for Fort Thomas and Singleton at the base of the Jotens in the Yeomanry?

I found nothing in the Living Greyhawk Player's Guide to the Yeomany

Singleton popped up on fan site

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/flanaess/outlying-areas-of-the-yeomanry-f87/index-s25.html

but I cannot tell if that is original or derivitive.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue May 15, 2018 10:55 pm  

Twenty years ago I started mapping the World of Greyhawk for my own campaign, and then decided to share my work on the then emerging Internet. The rest is an history most of you who read this already know about so instead of looking backwards I’m going to try and look forward. I’ve decided to start all over again. Yes I mean starting all over again with mapping the Flanaess, and its surroundings. What on Oerth can make me come to this conclusion?

I want to do this again for three different reasons. The first one is that I know have the experience needed to do it properly. Second, technology is now beginning to be powerful enough to make it possible to do it right. Thirdly I’m so passionate about it that when I see a way to make a much better job I just have to do it!

It took me more than five years of full time work last time, and to remake it the way I want to is not going to much easier. My estimate for this is for it to take around 5 years of work. How long that will actually take depends on how much time I can devote to it. If I do this as a hobby like last time it will be a decade or so. Thankfully there is a way for you to make it possible for me to devote more time to it, support my Patreon. With a little bit more support mapping the world of Greyhawk will be an ongoing project that I can treat as an commissioned project, with more support it can be my major project or maybe even a full time undertaking. We will see how that develop, it will be my hobby and passion anyway, and also be a big part of my research and development. so I will work on one way or the other.

So what are goals this time around?

Full elevation model with increased detail to 100/pixel. Enough to make it useful for outdoor adventures by visualizing what an area actually looks like. This can also serve as a solid base for city and encounter maps to be developed that will match the surrounding terrain. Below is an example of the difference in resolution and a proper elevation model.

Global Precision, the Flanaess needs to be accurately placed this time to make it possible to expand the project to cover other parts of Oerth as well.

Meta data part of the project from the start. I want to make use of modern GIS (Geographical Information System) standards to make it possible to keep track of things and form a base for better forms of presentation and varied use.

Presentation and format needs to be a major focus for this project. The current map is only top down in two formats, JPG and PDF. Next time the data needs to be usable in many more ways. I envision things like game engines, GIS tools, RPG campaign tools like Realm Works, webb based maps and more.

To go along with the data should be a set of graphical symbols 2D and 3D, graphical elements fonts and more specially designed to present the World of Greyhawk at its finest.

All my Greyhawk content have been free to download and published under the Creative Commons -by -nc license. This going to be the case going forward as well. If Wizard of the Coast changing their stance of Greyhawk fan created content, I might have to look into what they offer, but that is only hypothetical and my guess is that it will remain so for the foreseeable future. Creative Commons -by -nc, gives you the permission to use, alter and share the content for non commercial purposes as long as the source is indicated.

The main goal with this is that whatever comes out of this should be used by Greyhawk fans and others as much as possible and serve as a platform for anyone who wants to run games set in Greyhawk. That means that it needs to be accessible, modifiable and sharable.

How to try and tackle this huge undertaking?

I’m in the planning stage right now, and there are several bits and pieces that needs to fall in place before actual work can begin. This is what most of this year will be occupied with. 2018 revision of the existing map will be more thorough than previous years to make it more compatible with the future content. This is important since it will be years until all of it can be replaced with a new version, so the old have to live side by side with the new as good as possible. My existing map is also my main guide when mapping it again, and we want as good of a guide as possible.

The Oerth Geo Referencing project is what I will call my effort to try and place the Flanaess properly on Oerth. I will try and use all the data from Greyhawk canon sources as well as some of the great pieces written on the topic and try and implement them using GIS tools.

In order to set both standards and work-flow small test areas needs to be mapped. The first one out is the Lendore Isles. Islands are good pilot areas since they are separate from the mainland and can more easily be imported and merged with future content.

These three parts will probably keep me busy this year, and if there are time over there are always interesting tidbits to dig into. things like city sketches, heraldry and touch up other old stuff hidden in various places…

If you want to join me on this journey please consider supporting my Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/annabmeyer

I'll look into Fort Thomas and Singleton Kirt
    Master Greytalker

Tue May 15, 2018 11:06 pm  

Anna wrote:
    I'll look into Fort Thomas and Singleton Kirt

Please save your time for your amazing creative work!

(And lamashtu found the references for me in LG Yeomanry modules 3-05 and 4-01).

I already use your maps in my campaign, so I will encourage the members of my gaming group to support your Patreon.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Master Greytalker

Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:19 pm  
    Anna's site?

All formerly separate map links now redirect to a single, low resolution, map of the continent.

Does anyone know what gives?

Is this preparation for an unveiling, or has Anna decided to restrict access to her work?

Or is there just a temporary server error?

Update: Her Patreon Page has a post today saying "Website Trouble". That is the most relieved I have ever been to read those words!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
    Paladin

Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:50 pm  

Anna on her Patron Support Site Says wrote:

My website http://ghmaps.net is down due to some wordpress issues. I have a temporary site up and running. It is only a landing page and a contact page at the moment. More will come soon.

If you need any links to files or so, comment here or send me a message through Patreon or email me at anna@ghmaps.net

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Happy Holidays from DLG in behalf of the Demi-Goddess of Cartography
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:11 am  

Quote:

Happy Holidays from DLG in behalf of the Demi-Goddess of Cartography

Well, technically the holiday season did start.
    GreySage

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:03 pm  

Yeah, no joke!

I love accessing her maps. They have become an utterly integral part of my campaigns. I hope this issue gets rectified soon. I am sure my campaigns would suffer greatly otherwise...

-Lanthorn, paying homage
    Master Greytalker

Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:45 am  

Of all the resources I have used, none come close to her maps. They are one of the cornerstones of my campaigns as well.
    Paladin

Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:32 am  
    The Dark Lord Returns

Hail GH'ers.... my apologies for my long absence, but recent events left me in ICU for 10 days and I am in slow recovery mode....

But as the "semi-un-official herald" of the demigoddess of all that is Greyhawk... I'M BACK...

And with that Anna has totally revamped her website including all that GH support and even improved and updated maps now located here>

https://www.annabmeyer.com/greyhawk-maps/

Best regards GH'ers...
    and as we all know editions change by Greyhawk endures...

DLG
    Paladin

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:25 am  

Well, now after two lengthy hospital stays I finally have my flight clearance... (and there was much rejoicing hehe)

I plan to make good use of it before they ground me again, so my gang of hearty adventures will be making the pilgrimage to Gamehole Con in Madison Wisconsin and will be cornering up the Demi-Goddess of Cartography over dinner.
    So just to pass along, if any have some questions they want me to toss Anna's way list here and I will see what I can gather from her and post back for all to share.

Best Wishes
    GH Endures
    Paladin

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:42 pm  

Well back from Madison and the Gamehole Con.... Anna sends salutations to her supportive GH faithful.

She is still delving with those Kobold of Kobold Press fame but did co-conspire a seminar with Alyssa Faden on cartography where Greyhawk got some love.

We did manage to have lunch on several occasions and discuss Greyhawk and things in the works...

For her, she is detailing out the Sheildlands for her new campaign personal play and for me the hardy band of adventurers I have will try to clean up the mess the giants have made of Geoff.

So we hope to follow up with details and of course looking for the same from all those that continue to GH Endure.....

DLG
    Master Greytalker

Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:07 pm  
    Map Confusion

So I am looking at Anna's Flanaess Full Map 598 CY - 2019 Edition REV1 (as hosted on http://greyhawkonline.com/ghmaps/) in the region of Geoff. [Edit: what follows is also true on the Flanaess 576 CY - 2020 Edition map at https://www.annabmeyer.com/greyhawk-maps/]

The river that flows from the Isle of Rhun to Hocholve is labeled at its headwaters in the Lake of Rhun as the Avon Fyn, but by the time it reaches the Midwood Forest it is called the Olvewater. Or, perhaps it is the lake itself that is the Avon Fyn, or the river flowing into the lake, while the outflow is the Olvewater. The Olvewater enters the Javan north of New Midwood.

The river that starts in the center of the Cantrev of Rychdir Rhos and enters the Javan at New Midwood is not labeled.

Some sources say that it is the Olvewater that flows through New Midwood, which would mean the unlabeled southern river should be the Olvewater while the doubly labeled northern river should be the Avon Fyn, only.

For example,
    https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/campaigns/129072/assets/845045/GyruffCY618_04.pdf?1522501776, which seems to be largely based on LG sources, seems to suggest that the lake itself is the Avon Fyn while the northern river is the Olvewater for its entirety.

Also, http://wiki.griffcrier.com/index.php?title=Westmarks_Campaign_Primer supports this, and specifically calls the lake "Lake Avon Ffyn" [sic]

But, I think "Avon" would more generally be translated as "River" rather than lake.

Canon source The Liberation of Geoff says Midwood "sits on one of the broader parts of the Olvewater between the Dim Forest and the Oytwood" and the map included shows the Olvewater originating in the lake.

However, the map is problematic in that it shows the Olvewater bending south to flow through Midwood but it appears that the Olvewater becomes the Javan, without showing the Javan's source in the Vale of the Mage

Thanks!

Last edited by Kirt on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:08 pm  
    More Map Confusion

I am still looking at Anna's Flanaess Full Map 598 CY - 2019 Edition REV1 (as hosted on http://greyhawkonline.com/ghmaps/) but now in the region of Sterich. [Edit: what follows is also true on the Flanaess 576 CY - 2020 Edition map at https://www.annabmeyer.com/greyhawk-maps/]

There are two towns across the Javan from one another; one on the Keoish side (Javan Ferry) and one on the Sterish side (Sterich Road). They are separated by the Ford of Marich, which I believe comes from Gary Holian's LGJ1 article on Keoland.

I am wondering about the naming of the Sterish town "Sterich Road", though. It appears to be taken from the Dungeon 117 map supplement (https://paizo.com/dungeonissues/117/DA117_OnlineSupplement.pdf, in which indeed, it looks like these are the names given for the two towns (although on that map the symbols appear to indicate that they are villages, not towns).

However, closer inspection reveals that the Dungeon map names a number of roads: King's Highway (from Flen east), Oyt Road (from Istivin north), and Davish Main Trail (from Istivin south). Given that, I wonder if "Sterich Road" is rather the name of the road from Istivin east, and the unfortunate placement of it on the map near to an (unnamed) village on the Javan has resulted in people coming to believe it refers to the name of the village?

Similarly, perhaps the east-bank village is also actually unnamed, and "Javan Ferry" refers to the river crossing itself rather than the settlement?"

In this same thread (page 24; April 17, 2017) Mystic-Scholar says that Gary Holian wrote about both of these cities [sic] but does not say where. I don't think they are mentioned in LGJ1.

Last edited by Kirt on Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:23 am  
    Re: More Map Confusion

Kirt wrote:
    I am still looking at Anna's Flanaess Full Map 598 CY - 2019 Edition REV1 (as hosted on http://greyhawkonline.com/ghmaps/) but now in the region of Sterich. [Edit: what follows is also true on the Flanaess 576 CY - 2020 Edition map at https://www.annabmeyer.com/greyhawk-maps/]

There are two towns across the Javan from one another; one on the Keoish side (Javan Ferry) and one on the Sterish side (Sterich Road). They are separated by the Ford of Marich, which I believe comes from Gary Holian's LGJ1 article on Keoland.

I am wondering about the naming of the Sterish town "Sterich Road", though. It appears to be taken from the Dungeon 117 map supplement (https://paizo.com/dungeonissues/117/DA117_OnlineSupplement.pdf, in which indeed, it looks like these are the names given for the two towns (although on that map the symbols appear to indicate that they are villages, not towns).

However, closer inspection reveals that the Dungeon map names a number of roads: King's Highway (from Flen east), Oyt Road (from Istivin north), and Davish Main Trail (from Istivin south). Given that, I wonder if "Sterich Road" is rather the name of the road from Istivin east, and the unfortunate placement of it on the map near to an (unnamed) village on the Javan has resulted in people coming to believe it refers to the name of the village?

Similarly, perhaps the east-bank village is also actually unnamed, and "Javan Ferry" refers to the river crossing itself rather than the settlement?"

In this same thread (page 24; April 17, 2017) Mystic-Scholar says that Gary Holian write about both of these cities [sic] but does not say where. I don't think they are mentioned in LGJ1.

Looking at the DUNGEON #117 supplement map, I would guess that Javan Ferry is a single village that straddles the river. Every other settlement appears to be named. I agree that “Sterich Road” refers to the road, not the settlement.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:57 am  
    Re: More Map Confusion

DMPrata wrote:

Looking at the DUNGEON #117 supplement map, I would guess that Javan Ferry is a single village that straddles the river. Every other settlement appears to be named. I agree that “Sterich Road” refers to the road, not the settlement.

I hadn't considered that alternative. It does indeed appear that every other non-ruined population center / settlement on the map is named (although only two of the seven keeps are), so having Javan Ferry (west and east?) seems like a good solution.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon May 25, 2020 8:11 am  

On the Avon Fyn/Avon Ffyn - If we're adhering to Welsh, as most of the Geoff nomenclature tends to, then Afon/Avon should be river, yes. I find the translation of the name interesting: Afon Ffyn is River of Staves/River of Sticks - maybe deriving from being a forest river for part of its length?
    Master Greytalker

Sun May 02, 2021 9:23 am  

Where the Javan enters the Rushmoors, Anna has "Keeler's Keep" across the river from Tanner's Ferry.

It is spelled "Keller's Keep" here: https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/campaigns/129072/assets/845045/GyruffCY618_04.pdf?1522501776, a fan site that seems largely based on LG sources.

Any ideas for the original source material and spelling?
    Encyclopedia Greyhawkaniac

Sun May 02, 2021 3:55 pm  

Kirt wrote:
    Where the Javan enters the Rushmoors, Anna has "Keeler's Keep" across the river from Tanner's Ferry.

It is spelled "Keller's Keep" here: https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/campaigns/129072/assets/845045/GyruffCY618_04.pdf?1522501776, a fan site that seems largely based on LG sources.

Any ideas for the original source material and spelling?

I dont have a record of either spelling. Sounds like LG campaign material. The only Keller's Keep that comes to mind was a supplement for the Heroquest boardgame.
    Master Greytalker

Sun May 02, 2021 4:26 pm  

JasonZavoda wrote:
    Sounds like LG campaign material.

I figured, but thanks for checking.

Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:58 am  

Looks like Anna's map is missing

Galesford [TWN]

SOOC - 124
    Master Greytalker

Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:58 am  

JasonZavoda wrote:

Galesford [TWN]

SOOC - 124

Looks like Anna took the same interpretation I did and assumed that Galesford was later renamed Curtulenn.

Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:10 am  

DMPrata wrote:
    JasonZavoda wrote:

Galesford [TWN]

SOOC - 124

Looks like Anna took the same interpretation I did and assumed that Galesford was later renamed Curtulenn.

It looks like Sargent was aware of Galesford but changed the name to Curtulenn in WGR4, Galesford actually has some implications about the Franz River so I'd stick with Gygax's version.
    Master Greytalker

Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:02 pm  

JasonZavoda wrote:
    DMPrata wrote:
    JasonZavoda wrote:

Galesford [TWN]

SOOC - 124

It looks like Sargent was aware of Galesford but changed the name to Curtulenn in WGR4, Galesford actually has some implications about the Franz River so I'd stick with Gygax's version.

There is no “Gygax’s version”. Galesford is literally just a single name-check in Saga of Old City. There’s no development. (Frankly, Sargent didn’t develop Curtulenn much either.) I’m simply suggesting that sometime between 577 and 585 CY, the name was changed from Galesford to Curtulenn (for reasons the DM can fabricate), neatly reconciling the two references.

Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:07 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    JasonZavoda wrote:
    DMPrata wrote:
    JasonZavoda wrote:

Galesford [TWN]

SOOC - 124

There is no “Gygax’s version”. Galesford is literally just a single name-check in Saga of Old City. There’s no development. (Frankly, Sargent didn’t develop Curtulenn much either.) I’m simply suggesting that sometime between 577 and 585 CY, the name was changed from Galesford to Curtulenn (for reasons the DM can fabricate), neatly reconciling the two references.

There are no mentions of Galesford in WGR4 or LGG so it isnt a name change within the lore. Curtelenn is placed where Gygax has said Galesford would be so its simply a Sargentism.

It could be Galesford in Oeridian and Curtulenn in Flan. The Galesford implies that you have a ford of the Franz River between Trigot (Trigol) and that would effect navigation as well as the relation between the two towns.

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:15 pm  

Just noted on page 213 of Saga of Old City that Owlsthorpe appears to be in the wrong location. Should be north of the rough trail through the Flinty Hills, not south of the trail.

Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:29 pm  

Just noted on page 215 of Saga of Old City that Faselfarm appears to be in the wrong location
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:32 am  

Anna, what would the best option for printing your 30-mile hex map to maximize resolution but keeping the size manageable? (By manageable I guess I mean as large as an outfit like Kinko's or some such could print / laminate it)

Thanks
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    [ Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]
    Page 7 of 7

Jump to: