Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Undead Senses: How Acute?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Undead Senses: How Acute?
    GreySage

Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:34 am  
    Undead Senses: How Acute?

Just wondering if the senses of most undead, particularly zombies, skeletons, ghouls, wights, and the like, are as acute (or not) in undeath as they were to the stock creatures during life?

-Lanthorn
    Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:30 pm  

Personally, I just don't worry about it. If you want to be scientific about it, just follow the lead of modern horror films. I do admit, my vampires are more Underworld/Vampire Diaries types, and my zombies are Romero-like. However, getting into the science of undead senses leads down a strange and convoluted path, where my players start to get all crazy, so I just stopped worrying. :)
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:57 am  

Similar to living creatures, unless otherwise stated. Check the Van Richten's Guides for such crazy info though, because it might actually be in there! Happy

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:01 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Similar to living creatures, unless otherwise stated. Check the Van Richten's Guides for such crazy info though, because it might actually be in there! Happy

Works for me, and was along the lines that I was using, in a pinch. I will look to see what Van Richten's Guide says, but have only those for ghosts (may work also for specters and wraiths, too) and vampires.

thanks,

Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:24 pm  

I think it depends on the type of undead. Lower forms would have more limited senses, especially considering their rate of decay and the possible lack of sensory organs. Ghosts and other similar undead have to have senses that go beyond mortals due to their connection with the Ethereal plane or with the Negative Material plane. With the latter I think they would have senses similar to "heat vision", but instead of heat it would be the "life" that mortals poses. Just my take.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: