Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Armies of Oerth (starting with Ratik)
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Armies of Oerth (starting with Ratik)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:15 am  
    Armies of Oerth (starting with Ratik)

I decided to do an article based on the work I've done on Ratik's armed forces for my own campaign. I'll put the drafts here. I'd appreciate everyone's input, even if I eventually tell you to "Bugger off, I know what I'm doing". Wink

I've titled this thread more broadly in case I decide to do another one of these some day, plus others might want to make their own contributions or observations on other forces.

I assumed I had it pretty much done, except 1) this site has formatting issues, so a lot has to be redone, and 2) I now realize that I didn't really have an article, but rather a bunch of charts and stuff in my head. This all makes a lot of sense to me, but could probably use some exposition for the rest of the Oerth-reading world.

A few assumptions:

Medieval warfare vs. fantasy medieval warfare:

Magic spells, magic items, and fantastic creatures provide fantasy armies with greater firepower, so fantastic armies need greater tactical dispersion than their historical counterparts did. Fortunately, magic and fantastic creatures also provide better communications and transportation, which in turn allows greater dispersion. Therefore, formations in the Flanaess are "looser" than they were in historical ancient or medieval armies. For similar reasons, administration, organization, discipline, training, and medicine modified. Plus, modern sensibilities come into play. I take this into account in how armies in the Flanaess organize, train, and fight (well, for the smart armies, anyway).

Ratik's Army:

My inspirations for Ratik's military are: 1) Post-Roman Britain (both the historical version and the legend of Arthur); 2) The Anglo-Scottish border/the Scottish Lowlands; 3) Finland 1939-1944; 4) 20th Century Israel.

I decided that Archbaron Lexnol was some sort of military visionary/reformer, partly based on his military organization's similarity to Charles the Bold's military organization (which was supposed to be "new school", even though I wonder how effective the actual organization really was), partly based and on the creation of the volunteer borderers (Lexnol himself is ranger classed), but largely on Ratik's success against the humanoid hordes. My assumption is that Lexnol took the Great Kingdom-of-Yore's talent for organization and discipline, and the idea of selection based on merit (an idea not unknown to the Great Kingdom in its glory) to create a light, mobile, relatively well-trained and well-led army out of a mass of conscripts and foreigners (for the later, I assumed that the Bone Marchers obvious motivation to fight the humanoids helped a little bit).

Bibliography so far:

Author Unknown (presumably the Nyrond triad for the Living Greyhawk Campaign). “Military Organization and Composition”, Nyrond Gazeteer 593. [military descriptions as of 592 CY]

Author Unknown (presumably the Ratik triad for the Living Greyhawk Campaign). “General information on Ratik”, Ratik Gazeteer 593.

D’Amato, Rafaele. Roman Centurions 31 BC- AD 500. Oxford: Osprey Publishing, 2012.

Gygax, Gary. A Guide to the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR Inc., 1983.

Gygax, Gary. Glossography for the Guide to the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR Inc., 1983.

Gygax, Gary. “Developments from Stonefist to South Province”, Dragon #57 (January 1982).

Henson, Dale. Howl from the North. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, Inc., 1991.

Holian, Gary, Erik Mona, Sean K. Reynolds, and Frederick Weining, Living Greyhawk Gazetteer. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2000.

Lau, Matt. “Enemy Lines” RTK[m]2-05 Living Greyhawk Ratik Regional Adventure.

Lau, Matt. “The Whispering Tide” RTK 3-06 Living Greyhawk Ratik Regional Adventure.

Kuntz, Rob. “The Great Kingdom and the Knights of Doom”, Dragon #59 (March 1982).

McNab, Chris. The Roman Army. NY: Metro Books, 2013; Reprint Osprey Publishing, 2010.

Michael, Nicholas. Armies of Medieval Burgundy. London: Osprey Publishing, 1983; Reprint 1989.

Sargent, Carl. Atlas of the Flanaess: From the Ashes. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, Inc., 1992.

Sargent, Carl. The Marklands. Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, Inc., 1993.

Simkins, Michael. The Roman Army for Caesar to Trajan. London: Osprey Publishing, 1984; Reprint 1998.

...Does anyone have full access to the Ratik Living Greyahwk scenario RTK 1-02 "A Bounty on Scalps"?

This: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3276308/bounty-scalps

...only does the first page, as far as I can tell. I think there was a wrecked "forester" (volunteer borderer) unit there, although no stat's (everyone was just described as "wounded", IIRC). It did mention female soldiers, and maybe something else. If you have it, let me know.

Threads that touch on the topic:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=73835#73835

EDIT:

My (nearly definitive) work on Ratik's military:

www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1270

www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1271

www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1272

www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1273

www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1274

www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1275

Last edited by jamesdglick on Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:55 pm  

I have that scenario. Should I look something up or email to you somehow?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:43 am  

Regardless of how long it may have been unavailable for at this time, if this is a Living Greyhawk Season 1 or 2 scenario, then it is property of WotC (and if not, it is the property of the author), so please stick to the Forum Rules when discussing LG and other files. Only if a file is freely available via the author/owner should it be discussed in this manner. Sorry, but it has to be said.

Otherwise, carry on.

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:41 am  

Ratik’s Army: History & Overview:

Before 562, Ratik and Bone March’s first line of defense was the II Legion, (a relic of the Great Kingdom’s rule) was supplemented by a variety of feudal levies and provincial militias. It was a largely long-service, all volunteer army, with men typically enlisting for 25 year terms. [1] The legionnaires’ pay was usually a few months late and a couple of gold pieces short. The legion was smaller than most, with 10 “regiments”, each of 10 companies, and most companies of only 60 men. The II Legion’s authorized strength was 5,880 men, but the ostensible commander of forces in the north, the Herzog of North Province, kept II Legion even further understrength out of either negligence, or perhaps, treachery. [2]

Legion casualties were high in the Bone March’s unsuccessful defense, and desertion rates among the legionnaires, many of whom were from south of the Tessar, were even higher; some legionnaires even defected to the invaders. To make up the losses, Archbaron Lexnol began conscripting human (including part-human) males who were subjects of Ratik’s 11 provinces and who were between the ages of 20 and 25 years of age in the fall of 562 (the age range for conscripting dwarves and gnomes who were subjects of those provinces was 45-55). Service was for 12 months in the II Legion. This was in addition to the traditional 56 day’s feudal or provincial service for which Ratikkans were traditionally liable. [3] The term increased to 15 months after Growfest 564 when it became obvious that the Bone March invaders would continue their attacks and that replacements would never come from the Great Kingdom. [4]

In the Fall of 565, Lexnol reorganized II Legion’s remnants into a new regular army. What was left of the 2nd - 10th regiments became the basis for Lexnol’s new-style 225-man infantry companies of the same number as its progenitor regiment (1st Company absorbing the leftovers). Four of 1st Regiment’s companies became the 1st - 4th Cavalry Companies, one company became the Marine Company, and other the companies provided personnel for three sapper platoons and various headquarters elements. [5] At the same time, Lexnol ended direct commissioning of the sons of nobles and military officers: Henceforth, the archbaron would personally select candidates for the rank of tribune (increasingly called “subalterns”, equal to a sergeant), on the basis of merit (at least in theory). [6]

The term of conscription increased to 18 months in 571. Ratik faced continued attacks from the Bone March, but mercenary enlistments kept pace with losses (24-year enlistments became a thing of the past, replaced by 2-year enlistments). Bone March exiles were Ratik’s primary source for foreign recruits, but barbarians from the north enlisted in increasing numbers after the Ratik-Frutzi peace treaty. This allowed an expansion in the Spring of 577: The army formed four new “Volunteer Borderer” companies (units that accepted only Ratik subjects who volunteered for two years of active duty and 22 years as reservists) and two new sapper platoons. With time, each volunteer borderer company would be supported by a full reserve company. [7] Due to the transfer of subjects to provide cadres for the volunteer borderer companies, the 10 infantry companies now consisted almost entirely of conscripts and mercenaries, with only the officers, tribunes, and a few senior non-commissioned officers being actual subjects of Ratik. To a lesser extent, the same was true of the cavalry. Lexnol also recruited a few select mercenary units for specific missions on a temporary basis (e.g, Queg’s band from the Wavewyrm in 578 ). [8]

At the Battle of the Loftwood (14 Reaping 578), Ratik’s victorious army captured over 1,000 Bone Marchers. A few, selected by alignment and ability, were allowed to enlist directly into the regular army, but most were formed into four penal companies, with volunteers from the regulars and provincial levies providing the cadre. A few recruits were kept in prison to serve as replacements. [9] The reforming brigands served 5-year terms in return for a pardon. In order to keep them up to strength, the penal companies were renamed “probation” companies in the Summer of 583, accepting not only prisoners of war, but soldiers who had been court martialed and foreigners seeking to become subjects of Ratik. [10] Due to many of the original recruits completing their term of service (and thus receiving their pardons), companies were deactivated in Sunsebb 583, Growfest 587, and Patchwall 587; the later two in part due to losses in the Kalmar Pass disaster in 586.

Halfings, hitherto exempted from conscription, finally formed a skirmisher company in 581. This unit provided the officer and NCO cadre for an additional company in the Winter of 586.[11]

Facing the old crush of manpower at the beginning of the Greyhawk Wars, Lexnol authorized the conscription of unmarried women between the ages of 20-25 for a period of 3 months (without initial entry training) in the Summer of 583 (females had hitherto been accepted as 2-year volunteers, generally as spellcasters). The intent was for young women to fill new service support positions (e.g., cook, maid, etc., one per platoon), garrison detachments, and to increase the number of potential spellcaster recruits; a few served as soldiers in fighting platoons. This brought the ire of those civilians whom the soldiers often employed in those roles, but the utility for field service and cost savings to soldiers won out. Lexnol extended the term of service to 6 months, including one month of initial entry training, in Growfest 585. [12]

In 591 CY, all human and part-human males who were subjects of the 11 provinces were expected to begin 18 months’ active-duty service in the regular army before their 20th birthday; the age for halfings is 22; for dwarves and gnomes, 45; for elves, 125. Unmarried females are liable at the same ages for 6 months’ service. Subjects of the Dwarven, Gnomish, and Elven communities are not liable to conscription in the regular army (although many volunteer), but are liable for frequent service with their communities.

ENDNOTES:

[1] Rafaele D’Amato, Roman Centurions 31 BC- AD 500, (Oxford: Osprey Publishing, 2012), p. 3.
    The Imperial Roman Legions are a likely model for the Great Kingdom’s military system (see below).

[2] Author Unknown (presumably the Nyrond triad for the Living Greyhawk Campaign), “Military Organization and Composition”, Nyrond Gazeteer 593;
    Gary Gygax, A Guide to the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR Inc., 1983), p. 23;
    Rafaele D’Amato, Roman Centurions 31 BC- AD 500, (Oxford: Osprey Publishing, 2012), 4-5;
    Chris McNab, The Roman Army (NY: Metro Books, 2013; Reprint Osprey Publishing, 2010), 146;
    Michael Simkins, The Roman Army for Caesar to Trajan (London: Osprey Publishing, 1984; Reprint 1998), 10.
    I figured that the Great Kingdom was analogous to the Roman Empire, and Nyrond’s Living Greyhawk Triad seemed to agree. However, their legions average 10 companies per “regiment” (cohort); Gygax noted that “the Overking’s Companion Guard consists of 10 select companies of various arms…” This could be of late 18th Century – mid-19th Century British (or American) inspiration. I figure each company had 60 men, except for 4 cavalry companies in the 1st cohort, which had 30 men each (as per the Roman equivalent).

[3] Carl Sargent, The Marklands (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, Inc., 1993), p. 11.
    For the Spring 584 CY, Carl Sargent describes Furyondy’s feudal service as the “traditional two months each year.” I assume that two months (56 days) was probably the old Great Kingdom’s typical military service requirement for feudal or provincial service (sort of like England or Scotland’s 40 days per year).

[4] Gary Holian, Erik Mona, Sean K. Reynolds, and Frederick Weining, Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, (Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2000), 35 (the Bone March “ceased to be part of that empire after 563 CY”, and presumably, Ratik along with it, if not before).

[5] Gary Gygax, A Guide to the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR Inc., 1983), p. 32;
    Gary Gygax, “Developments from Stonefist to South Province”, Dragon #57 (January 1982), p. 15.
    In 576 CY, “The baronial levies consist of schiltrons of spearmen and a small force of light cavalry… A force of men-at-arms, crossbowmen, and mounted sergeants comprise the regular arm of Ratik, with bow armed woodmen patrolling the north and sling-equipped hillrunners watching the southern borders.” Spearmen and light cavalry are typically more “regular army”, while men-at-arms and sergeantry are more associated with levies, but Charles the Bold’s Ordinannces did have men-at-arms in the regular army. So, are the crossbowmen supposed to be mounted? Maybe EGG got dyslexic and reversed the two? Or maybe that was the Table of Organization in 576 CY, to the best of the Savant Sage’s knowledge? The TO&E may have evolved slightly over time. It does confirm that the following weapons were in use: Crossbow, Sling; Bow (short and/or long?); Spear (long?). In “Stonefist to South Province”, Gygax’s description of the regulars as “the standing army of 2,250 foot and 500 horse” seems to confirm my idea that the infantry and light cavalry are the regulars. To square the circle a little, I assume that nobles and gentry disproportionately join the cavalry when they perform their 18 months or two years’ service.

[6] Author Unknown, “Military Organization and Composition”, Nyrond Gazeteer 593.
    For 582-592 CY, “Tribune” is the starting rank for all officers and spellcasters in Nyrond, where the rank of tribune is roughly comparable to a lieutenant in the US Army (O1 or O2). In the Roman Imperial Army, it could equate to anything between a lieutenant and a lieutenant colonel (O5). I assume that Lexnol would have made commissioning somewhat more meritocratic when he reformed so many other things.

[7] Gary Gygax, “Developments from Stonefist to South Province”, Dragon #57 (January 1982), p. 15.
    For 578, “the standing army of 2,250 foot and 500 horse was augmented by four companies of borderers (900 men) and the cadres for four more such units.”
    The infantry and volunteer borderer companies seem to have 225 men per company, which just happens to be the strength of Charles the Bold’s 1470’s-era Ordinnance companies.

[8] Gary Gygax, “Developments from Stonefist to South Province”, Dragon #57 (January 1982), p. 15.
    A surmise; I invented the name of Queg’s vessel.

[9] Gary Gygax, “Developments from Stonefist to South Province”, Dragon #57 (January 1982), p. 16.
    “About 1,000 [defeated Bone Marchers] were willing to join the Archbaron’s army…” I assumed that 1,000 would be a large number to absorb into the units after seriously wounded troops returned to duty and the arrival of new recruits to the units in Readyreat. The creation of penal units allows for a Beau Geste foreign legion “march or die feel.”

[10] Michael Simkins, The Roman Army for Caesar to Trajan (London: Osprey Publishing, 1984; Reprint 1998), 8.
    This adds an analogue to the Roman Auxillaries, albeit for 5 years’ service instead of 25.

[11] Gary Holian, Erik Mona, Sean K. Reynolds, and Frederick Weining, Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, (Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2000), p. 89.
    I had to do something with all those halflings who appear in Living Greyhawk!

[12] Carl Sargent, Atlas of the Flanaess: From the Ashes (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, Inc., 1992), p. 34.
    In Spring 584 CY, “Ratik men and women are all militarily trained, and conscription is universal.” Mr. Sargent adds universal military service for both sexes. Conscription for women is not mentioned for women in 576 or 578 (and unlikely, I’d say), so it probably came after 578.

----------------------
    Ugh. The format doesn't even accept automatic endnoting. But I adapted. Everything properly endnoted and attributed.

I'll continue next week.

EDIT: I cleaned up some of the grammar, and added a little extra exposition (e.g., surplus recruits for the penal companies kept in prison work gangs until needed; some penal companies disbanded in part due to disaster of Kalmar Pass; women accepted before introduction of conscription)

I don't think there should be a copyright issue, but who knows, eh?

If anyone has a source on Ratik's army that I missed, let me know! I'd love to have it for my own campaign, if nothing else. Smile

EDIT THE EDIT: In the text, I noted the "Rockegg Pass disaster", even though I correctly wrote "Kalmar Pass disaster" in the EDIT. And it wasn't even Daylight Savings Time yet. Oh well. Laughing

Last edited by jamesdglick on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:05 am  
    Re: Armies of Oerth (starting with Ratik)

jamesdglick wrote:
      Lau, Matt. “Enemy Lines” RTK[m]2-05 Living Greyhawk Ratik Regional Adventure.
      Lau, Matt. “The Whispering Tide” RTK 3-06 Living Greyhawk Ratik Regional Adventure.

...Does anyone have full access to the Ratik Living Greyahwk scenario RTK 1-02 "A Bounty on Scalps"?

This: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3276308/bounty-scalps ...only does the first page, as far as I can tell. I think there was a wrecked "forester" (volunteer borderer) unit there, although no stat's (everyone was just described as "wounded", IIRC). It did mention female soldiers, and maybe something else. If you have it, let me know.
    Hey there, James!
    I played and ran the adventure back in the LG days, near the end of the campaign when they opened up play for all regions, so that one could play wherever they wanted. So, I do have it.
    Is there anything, in particular, that you're interested in, so I know what information to look for? Like force numbers, or something? Or just a general description of how it ends?
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:57 am  

Icarus wrote:

...Is there anything, in particular, that you're interested in, so I know what information to look for? Like force numbers, or something? Or just a general description of how it ends?

-I seem to remember something about the adventurers finding a detachment of waylaid foresters (probably volunteer borderers). I don't think they mentioned classes, levels, or the like, but I think the adventure mentioned men and women in the unit. Am I right? I'll also any other details.

Thanks.

VR,

JDG

EDIT: "Any of details" on the military side, I mean.

I read most of the RTK adventures on line a while ago (maybe a decade?), and I printed on parts of some of them as the whim moved me. So, my collection is rather spotty.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another helping:

The Fest Games:

Every festweek, Ratik’s five districts hold games. Each holds contests for the local missile weapons (sling, bow, and/or crossbow as the case may be), fencing, weight-lifting (the Needfest Feats of Strength!), sprinting, and obstacle course. The Western, South-Western, and Central districts hold jousting and equestrian steeplechase events, and the Central districts holds swimming events. Other events are held unofficially. The powers-that-be note the participants’ performances with an eye to determining future postings for military service, including selection for tribune.

Initial Entry Training:

Recruits (volunteers or otherwise) are expected to appear at the district training rendezvous on the first of the month after the fest. The instructors (a combination of called-up militia and representatives from each local unit) put the recruits through four weeks of evaluation and training. So that the recruit’s training can be specialized, the instructors usually decide which recruit goes to which unit at the end of the first week, factoring in performance during training up to that point, performance in the fest games, and certifications, including those from militia and levy service (or from other armies or employment entities, in the case of mercenaries). The instructors also send reports on tribune candidates to the archbaron. The training is designed to develop and evaluate a recruit’s discipline, physical fitness, skill-at-arms and armor, and some ability to campaign and fight as a member of a squad [in game terms, recruits are normally trained and tested in light armor proficiency, proficiency with longspears, spears, lances, light crossbows, shotbows, slings, and handaxes, might gain a fighter’s +1 Basic Attack Bonus, gain or improve the skills of “Jump”, “Climb”, “Balance”, and “Profession (Soldier: Ratik)”, and, in certain districts, “Ride” or “Swim”. A recruit with d4 hit points might increase to d6; one with d6 hit points might improve to d8, and so on. A recruit might gain the “Endurance”, “Great Fortitude” “Run”, or “Toughness” feats, a +2 Basic Save Bonus in Fortitude] [13]. At the end of training, the recruits go to their units, ready or not, although the vast majority of recruits will have at least become proficient with their basic weapon, if they weren’t before. Those selected to become tribunes are promoted upon graduation. The enlistment standards [using D&D 3.5 standards] are:

Apprentice Craftsman: Lift 40 lbs [equates to 4 STR]; March 20’/round; Certified Apprentice [equates to Craft +3 (trained)]; Literate in Common; Recommendation of the Archbaron; Must be a 2-year volunteer.

Apprentice Spellcaster (Arcane): Lift 40 lbs [equates to 4 STR]; March 20’/round; Cast Cantrips; Literate in Common; Recommendation of the Archbaron; Must be a 2-year volunteer.

Apprentice Spellcaster (Divine): Lift 70 lbs [equates to 7 STR]; March 20’/round; Cast Orisons; Literate in Common; Recommendation of the Archbaron; Must be a 2-year volunteer.

Marine: Lift 115 lbs [equates to 11 STR]; March 30’/round in gear; Certified Ordinary Seaman [equates to Profession (Boatman) + 0 (trained); Profession (Sailor) + 0 (trained); Use Rope +5]; Swim 22 yards in calm water with weapons and armor in 1 minute [equates to Swim DC14]; Pass Vessel Obstacle Course w/ weapons and armor in 1 minute [equates to Balance DC 15 x 2, Climb DC 10 x 2]; Must be a 2-year volunteer.

Private (Infantry Spearman): Lift 115 lbs [equates to 11 STR]; March 30’/round in gear.

Private (Infantry or Volunteer Borderer Shortbowman): Lift 90 lbs [equates to 9 STR]; March 30’/round in gear; Hit a Man-Sized Target 6 out 10 times with a shortbow @ 150’ [equates to Shooter’s BAB +0; Shooter Proficient; Shooter’s DEX 10-11; Target Stationary = 0 DEX; two range increments].

Private (Infantry or Volunteer Borderer Light Crossbowman): Lift 90 lbs. [equates to 9 STR]; March 30’/round in gear; Hit a Man-Sized Target 6 out 10 times with a light crossbow @ 210’ [equates to Shooter’s BAB +0; Shooter Proficient; Shooter’s DEX 10-11; Target Stationary = 0 DEX; two range increments].

Private (Infantry or Volunteer Borderer Slinger): Lift 90 lbs [equates to 9 STR]; March 30’/round in gear; Hit a Man-Sized Target 6 out 10 times with a sling @ 120’ [equates to Shooter’s BAB +0; Shooter Proficient; Shooter’s DEX 10-11; Target Stationary = 0 DEX; two range increments].

Trooper: Lift 100 lbs [equates to 10 STR]; March 30’/round in (dismounted) gear; Pass Equestrian Obstacle Course in 1 minute [equates to Ride DC 15 x 2; DC 10 x 2].

Sapper: Lift 100 lbs [equates to 10 STR]; March 20’/round in gear; Under 4’ 6” in height.

Subaltern/Tribune: Lift 115 lbs [equates to 11 STR]; March 30’/round in gear (unless assigned to a Sapper unit, where the standard is 20’/round); Literate in Common; Recommendation of the Archbaron; Must be a 2-year volunteer.

Initial entry training tests all of the standards, but sometimes, deficient recruits slip through by lucking out on skill checks, while fully qualified people occasionally fail through carelessness [in game terms, not “Taking 10”]. There is occasional cheating, but the powers-that-be have plenty of time to investigate certifications, and they have access to a recruit’s performance during their district’s games, and, in the case of recruits who were called up in a militia or feudal levy, to that information as well. Evaluators also have access to “Zone of Truth” spells if there are still any suspicions. In some cases, the evaluators waive a standard if they think the recruit is simply sand-bagging to avoid a job or bucking for an outright exemption, then note the apparent lack of motivation on their record. Finally, strength standards might be waived simply to fill a slot (the soldier will just have to suck it up and develop some stamina [“Endurance”, “Great Fortitude”, “Run”, or “Toughness”]. Weapon proficiency is only waived if the recruit is clearly hopeless, which is rare.

For some jobs, the typical recruit greatly exceeds the minimum standards. The supply of willing candidates versus the small number of openings ensures that most of the recruits who are accepted as apprentices are actually journeymen [Craft +5 (trained) or higher], particularly for blacksmiths, amongst which non-humans are numerous. In reality, all of those accepted as divine spellcasters can cast 1st level spells, as can most arcane spellcasters.

In some cases, there are additional, unstated preferences. Proficiency with arms in general, and particularly any skill with artillery are preferred for marine and sapper recruits. Sappers are almost entirely dwarves or gnomes, while the infantry, borderers, cavalry, and the marines are almost entirely human or part human. Evaluators prefer stealth and fieldcraft for volunteer borderers. Ratik subjectship is only required for joining the volunteer borderers, or for selection to tribune, but it is strongly preferred for spellcasters and, to a lesser extent, craftsmen and marines. The same circumstances generally attract a series of “Detect (Alignment)” and “Zone of Truth” spells determine the recruit’s trustworthiness. Finally, even though Archbaron Lexnol tries to be fair, family connections and personability [“Diplomacy”] inevitably plays some role with anyone who needs his recommendation.

The garrison units that man certain archbaronial installations throughout Ratik recruit from two sources: The first source are those new conscripts who do not meet the standard for service in other fields, but are nonetheless judged suitable for limited military service. The second source are soldiers who have served honorably but have been physically debilitated in some fashion, since “Heal” and “Regenerate” spells are hard to come by. These men provide the NCOs and officers for garrison units.

Despite the chaotic tilt of Ratik’s population, most Ratikkan's showed up for active-duty service (over 70% between 572-577) and the desertion rate for Ratik subjects was less than two percent per year during the same period. In part, this is because the threat from the Bone March is obvious, and in part because both the Suel and Oeridian strains of Ratik culture tie military service to manly worthiness (albeit in different ways).

ENDNOTES:

[13] McNab, Chris. The Roman Army. (NY: Metro Books, 2013; Reprint Osprey Publishing, 2010), 152-153.
    T.R. Phillips, ed., The Roots of Strategy, Epitome of Military Science by Flavius Vegetius Renatus (Harrisburg, PA: Stackpole Books, 1985), 75, 80-94, 103, 118-119, 132, 143, 149-150, 171-172.
    I figure the Rattikans would try to maintain the classic Great Kingdom’s training standards, but there’s only so much you can do in month; McNab mentions that IET for the Roman Legions was typically four months (close to the US Army / USMC for combat arms), at the start of up to 25 years of active duty.

EDIT: Corrected to "Rattikans" (the Living Greyhawk preference to the people of Ratik), added Vegetius (or his Aerdian equivalent, Gevetius?) and added a note about the length of IET.

Last edited by jamesdglick on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:58 am; edited 4 times in total
    Master Greytalker

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:42 am  

jamesdglick wrote:
    - I seem to remember something about the adventurers finding a detachment of waylaid foresters (probably volunteer borderers). I don't think they mentioned classes, levels, or the like, but I think the adventure mentioned men and women in the unit. Am I right? I'll also any other details.

Well, there's precious few details ... but, it's things like you mention, that're context clues.
      • Militia composed of "subjects of these lands", at least a few carrying wall shields, both male and female
      • Human and gnome clerics; High priest of Trithereon and human clerics of Trithereon, gnomes worshipping Garl Glittergold
      • Gurden, one of the rangers responsible for patrolling the south border
      • Gnome artillerist (directing catapults)
      • Gragg Treebeard, a longtime resident of the Loftwood and hunter of orcs, Dr2/Rng2, black bear companion
      • Captain Grissom, the army captain from Ratikhill
      • Commander Sir Barret
      • Lord Bredivan, of House Bredivan, and it takes place at Fort Bredivan. Laughing
    As you said, there's not really any numbers or stats given, for the most part. There's also referred to commoners with ptichforks and hoes, but, I don't think that's exactly military.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:57 am  

Icarus wrote:

...Well, there's precious few details ... but, it's things like you mention, that're context clues.
      • Militia composed of "subjects of these lands", at least a few carrying wall shields, both male and female
      • Human and gnome clerics; High priest of Trithereon and human clerics of Trithereon, gnomes worshipping Garl Glittergold
      • Gurden, one of the rangers responsible for patrolling the south border
      • Gnome artillerist (directing catapults)
      • Gragg Treebeard, a longtime resident of the Loftwood and hunter of orcs, Dr2/Rng2, black bear companion
      • Captain Grissom, the army captain from Ratikhill
      • Commander Sir Barret
      • Lord Bredivan, of House Bredivan, and it takes place at Fort Bredivan. Laughing
    As you said, there's not really any numbers or stats given, for the most part. There's also referred to commoners with ptichforks and hoes, but, I don't think that's exactly military.

-Thanks. Pretty much what I remember.

The info' on commoner class folks is relevant. I always thought that the RTK scenarios had too many guys who are 1st or 2nd level commoners for a nation with compulsory military service. Some explanations: 1) The individuals might have been born before 537 CY, which would put them in the over-50s crowd in the 590s; 2) They might be too young to have served yet (mid to late teens); 3) They might not have been accepted for some reason (some do get rejected outright, but the reasons would be obvious); 4) They might be draft dodgers (not everyone is gung ho, and some get away with it; I figure Lexnol doesn't push that hard); they served, but the training never stuck for some reason. It's something I was going to discuss.

The stuff on the gnomes in the area is what I would expect.

"Commander"? I missed that part of the scenario. That's the rank I use for the one above captain (i.e., major or lieutenant colonel equivalent- sort of like the navy). I guessed right!

I think I did a retro-statting for Lord Bredivan for what he was like during the Battle of the Loftwood (578), but I had to guess at his age. He has a daughter, 16 or so years old ca. 592, but that's it.

BTW, "looking for context clues" is a good way to explain the process we periodically go through here. I'll file it away... Wink

BTW, what's with the hair? Laughing
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:47 am  

jamesdglick wrote:
    -Thanks. Pretty much what I remember.

"Commander"? I missed that part of the scenario. That's the rank I use for the one above captain (i.e., major or lieutenant colonel equivalent- sort of like the navy). I guessed right!
    Kind of cool. Glad that bit was there.

Quote:
    I had to guess at his age. He has a daughter, 16 or so years old ca. 592, but that's it.
    All it says in the adventure is that she's "a young girl". I'd kind of assumed she was much younger than 15 in 591, but, the description fits well enough, I s'pose.

Quote:
    BTW, "looking for context clues" is a good way to explain the process we periodically go through here. I'll file it away... Wink
    I'm glad you like it. Hopefully it'll catch on, and maybe distinguish between fanon that's completely made up out of the blue, and this kind of stuff that's oblique references from canon.

Quote:
    BTW, what's with the hair? Laughing
    You mean because I'm not bald and looking like Mordenkainen (or Anton LeVey) anymore? Oh, well, that's been more than a few years ago. :) I stopped wearing that haircut back in ... whoosh, '08 or '09, I think? I haven't any idea when I updated my profile photo, though. Smile
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:11 am  

The adventure in question was actually called "Scalp Hunt". I'm not sure why I had "Bounty on Scalps" in my head. Oh well. I found it here:

http://www.oocities.org/ratik_triad/files.htm

http://www.oocities.org/ratik_triad/loftwood1.pdf

I mentioned it in one of the endnotes.

Icarus wrote:

...All it says in the adventure is that she's "a young girl". I'd kind of assumed she was much younger than 15 in 591, but, the description fits well enough, I s'pose.

http://www.oocities.org/ratik_triad/ungoblin.pdf

-Actually, "female human teen, Adp1" and "wide-eyed and ever smiling" (p. 6). The fact that she's a 1st level adept, instead of a commoner or simply left unlisted, made me think she's a little older. That, and she's off to what seems to be druid training. Of course, that could begin at a very young age, I suppose. Huh.

[quote="Icarus"]...Hopefully it'll catch on, and maybe distinguish between fanon that's completely made up out of the blue, and this kind of stuff that's oblique references from canon...
    Quote:

-Yeah. That's what I'm shooting for in my article. Well, a lot of it just made up. My world, and I'm welcome to it! Laughing At least the endnotes will help people tell the difference, or at least enjoy the debate (if there is one).

[quote="Icarus"]...You mean because I'm not bald and looking like Mordenkainen (or Anton LeVey) anymore?

-Exactly. I read somewhere that the new Mordenkainen look had a suspicious resemblance to Sean K. Reynolds.

Oh well. Another shot:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Equipment, Pay, & Benefits (578 CY):
    Once at his unit, the recruit gets his basic issue of clothing & equipment:
    All: Peasant Outfit (undyed; includes shoes); Boots; Tabard (Ratik azure, vert, and gules); Cloak (undyed); Backpack; Waterskin.

Private (Infantry Spearman) [14]: Full Studded Leather Armor, Iron Helm, Longspear.

Private (Infantry Light Crossbowman): Upper Body/Arm Studded Leather Armor, Iron Helm, Light Crossbow, Bolt Case, 10 Bolts.

Private (Infantry Shortbowman): Upper Body/Arm Studded Leather Armor, Iron Helm, Shortbow, Quiver, 20 Arrows.

Private (Infantry Drummer): Upper Body/Arm Studded Leather Armor, Iron Helm, Drum.

Private (Volunteer Borderer Slinger): Upper Body/Arm Studded Leather Armor, Iron Helm, Sling, Pouch, 10 Bullets.

Private (Volunteer Borderer Light Crossbowman): Upper Body/Arm Leather Armor or Upper Body/Arm Padded Armor, Iron Helm, Light Crossbow, Bolt Case, 10 Bolts.

Private (Volunteer Borderer Shortbowman) [15]: Upper Body/Arm Leather Armor or Upper Body/Arm Padded Armor, Iron Helm, Shortbow, Quiver, 20 Arrows.

Private (Volunteer Borderer Bugler): Upper Body/Arm Leather Armor or Upper Body/Arm Padded Armor, Iron Helm, Bugle.

Trooper: Full Studded Leather Armor, Iron Helm, Lance, Light Crossbow, Bolt Case, 10 Bolts; Light Warhorse; Military Saddle; Bit & Bridle; Saddle Blanket; Horse Shoes x 4.

Trooper (Bugler): Full Studded Leather Armor, Iron Helm, Lance; Bugle, Light Warhorse; Military Saddle, Bit & Bridle; Saddle Blanket, Horse Shoes x 4.

Marine: Full Studded Leather Armor, Iron Helm, Handaxe.

Marine (Bugler): Full Studded Leather Armor, Iron Helm, Bugle.

Sapper: Full Studded Leather Armor, Iron Helm, Handaxe.

Sentry (Garrison): Upper Body Studded Leather Armor, Iron Helm, Spear.

[Note: I DM D&D 3.5, but I use the partial armor rules inspired by AD&D2 Combat & Tactics]

Rattikan cavalry might look like the charging English mounted borderers here [16]:

https://www.google.com/search?q=image+flodden+1513&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjN4tTLydvSAhVCRSYKHTfPCh4QsAQIGQ&biw=1920&bih=985#imgrc=R9oYmzdiT44mrM:

…the long spearmen a little like the Scottish borderers on the left, sans tam-o-shanters (or maybe with?).

This [17]:

https://www.google.com/search?q=image+medieval+burgundian&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjukZmTytvSAhVESCYKHXcDAyQQsAQIGQ&biw=1920&bih=985#tbm=isch&q=image+medieval+burgundian+army&*&imgrc=xchMnM8bAgFFTM:

…would work for volunteer borderers, although the guy on the left (1) is a little heavily armored—maybe he’s strong Wink—and most would have slings, shortbows, or light crossbows rather than longbows (or handguns). The livery would be “Ratik” (blue, green, and red) instead of the red cross of burgundy. Most Rattikans wear their cloaks if they need to camouflage, although volunteer borderers or scouts often make their own coverings.

This [18]:

https://www.google.com/search?q=image+medieval+burgundian&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjukZmTytvSAhVESCYKHXcDAyQQsAQIGQ&biw=1920&bih=985#tbm=isch&q=image+medieval+burgundian+army&*&imgrc=TGRcD-E5Ebvh6M:

…could work for Rattikans, too. Feudal levies and Provincial militias might have more variation from unit to unit and even individual to individual.]

All soldiers also get a new “Peasant Outfit” issued every six months; a tabard, cloak, and a pair of boots every year, and a new waterskin and backpack every six years. Cavalrymen get a saddle blankets are issued every year, and a new military saddle and bit & bridle every six years. All other equipment is repaired or replaced as needed, at the soldier’s expense if it was the soldier’s fault. Reissues are not given to those being discharged with 4 weeks. An honorably discharged soldier may keep his “Peasant Outfit”, Tabard, Cloak, and Boots, and may be able to buy other used equipment at a discount on the company commander’s discretion.

Soldiers are generally allowed to use additional or better gear (e.g., some soldiers carry bucklers or shields, and most have some sort of side arms, like a dagger), as long as it does not interfere with their duties e.g. a spearmen who tries to wear full plate might have trouble keeping up with the formation, particularly if they start double-timing. In some cases, the unit may provide additional gear. Units levied by the provinces and by feudal authorities are expected to maintain similar standards of gear, and wear their own livery or a field sign (e.g., a sprig of pine in the Loftwood).

Daily Rations:
    16 oz. wheat flour (barley flour for those not considered “qualified”, including anyone undergoing initial entry training [19]); 8 oz. oatmeal; 4 oz. meat and/or cheese; 4 oz. fruit and/or vegetable; 1 oz. salt; 1 oz. lard or butter; 1 pint of beer (in garrison; clean water is always provided in garrison and in the field, with “Purify Food & Drink” spells, if necessary).
    This allowance is generally adequate. Some soldiers have deals with bakeries where the soldier gives the baker his flour, some salt, and some lard, or maybe a copper piece or two, and gets 16 ounces of bread in return. A few hire cooks (typically the wives of non-commissioned offciers) to handle everything.
    Daily Feed for Mounts:
    8 lbs. oats; 8 lbs. hay.
    This allowance is generally adequate for light warhorses. Feed and care is the responsibility of each soldier, although some officers hire troopers to handle the day-to-day care.
    Garrison Quarters Standards:
    Cot; 2 sheets; 2 blankets; Chest with lock and key. One chamberbucket per squad. Platoon bays are typical, with at least two fireplaces.
    Monthly Pay:

Apprentice Craftsman: 1 gp.

Apprentice Arcanist: 1 gp.

Apprentice Divine: 1 gp.

Private, Borderer: 1½ gp.

Private, Infantry: 1 gp.

Private, Marine: 1½ gp.

Private, Sapper: 1 gp.

Sentry (Garrison): ½ gp.

Trooper: 1½ gp.

Soldiers get an additional month’s pay every fourth fest week.
    Pay for all recruits undergoing IET is ½ gp for that month. Considering that the army handles the soldier’s basic cares, the pay for a new private is relatively generous. [20] The borderers, marines, and the cavalry are obviously meant to attract the most capable recruits; garrison detachments get the leftovers. Pay at the entry level may seem low for spellcasters and craftsmen, but this improves significantly after promotion (qv).

ENDNOTES:

[14] Lau, Matt. “Enemy Lines” RTK[m]2-05 Living Greyhawk Ratik Regional Adventure, p. 3.
    Gary Gygax, A Guide to the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR Inc., 1983), p. 32.
    In 592, Lau describes five male and female soldiers as War1s with scale armor, large wooden shields, and shortspears. In Gygax 1983, Rattikan infantrymen appear to be long spearmen or even pikemen (“The baronial levies [see endnote 5 for my argument that this should apply to the regulars] consist of schiltrons of spearmen and a small force of light cavalry…”), so it’s hard to know what these guys and gals represent. It’s possible that they might be provincial levies instead of regulars, or might even be from a temporarily hired mercenary band (e.g., Queg’s band at the Battle of the Loftwood), or maybe tactical assumptions and equipment standards changed between 578 and 592.

[15] Counter argument: Matt Lau, “A Bounty on Scalps” RTK[m]3-01 Living Greyhawk Ratik Regional Adventure, p. 5.
    For 593, Lau describes a group of 4 (plus wounded) male and female “Loftwood Foresters” as relatively unskilled War 1s wearing hide armor and carrying large wooden shields, halfspears, and shortbows. I think hide armor would slow these wood-running types a bit (“…bow armed woodmen patrolling the north and sling-equipped hillrunners watching the southern borders.”), but who knows. The “Loftwood foresters” tell the adventurers that “all of our druids were killed”; these could have been divine spellcasters who were assigned from cohort HQ, or maybe druids serving their militia duty, or even just volunteers. It’s possible that the Loftwood Foresters aren’t even volunteer borderers, but some provincial or free-lance group. Another possibility is that tactical assumptions and equipment standards changed between 578 and 593.

[16] Keith Durham, The Border Reivers (Oxford: Osprey Publishing, 1995), plate B, description on pp. 43-44.
    Art by Angus McBride.

[17] Nicholas Michael, Armies of Medieval Burgundy (London: Osprey Publishing, 1983; Reprint 1989), plate H, pp. 37-38.
    Art by Gerry Embleton.

[18] Nicholas Michael, Armies of Medieval Burgundy (London: Osprey Publishing, 1983; Reprint 1989), plate G, description on pp. 37-38.
    Art by Gerry Embleton..

[19] T.R. Phillips, ed., The Roots of Strategy, Epitome of Military Science by Flavius Vegetius Renatus (Harrisburg, PA: Stackpole Books, 1985), 84-85.
    The Romans made their soldiers eat barley until they tested out. They must not have been fond of barley. I’ve gone with it.

[20] Gary Gygax, Advance Dungeon & Dragons Dungeon Master’s Guide (No place of publishing given; presumably Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1979), pp. 28-34.
    Monte Cook, Jonathan Tweet, Skip Williams, Dungeon Master’s Guide (v. 3.5) (Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2003), pp. 105-106.
    In AD&D1, the costs for soldiers assume all “associated expenditures which go with the position—salary or wage, uniform or clothing, housing, food, and sundry equipment… Exception: the cost does not include arms and armor. For cavalry, this would include the expenses associated with feeding and other care for the mounts (i.e., most or all of the additional cost of cavalry is associated with horse upkeep, not pay). In D&D 3.4, the same assumption seems to be made. The Rattikan daily ration alone is worth 9-19 cp per day.

-----------------------------------------
    Ugh. Formatting is a mess, but I think I managed to translate everything.

Next time, I'll do the Table of Organization & Equipment in 578 (mostly from Dragon #57).
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:05 am  

EDIT OF THE EDITS:

[11] Author Unknown (presumably the Ratik triad for the Living Greyhawk Campaign), “General Information on Ratik”, Ratik Gazeteer 593, “House Optwall”.

Gary Holian, Erik Mona, Sean K. Reynolds, and Frederick Weining, Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, (Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2000), p. 89.

I had to do something with all those halflings who appear in Living Greyhawk! Living Greyhawk seems to assume that the halflings arrived recently: Lord Erik of Optwall “has made good friends with the leaders of halfling communities that have set up residence in his lands.” If they’re exiles from the Bone March or the Rakers, that would explain their disproportionate increase vis a vis the other races.

[New 20; on the ration allowance] Kim Mohan, Advance Dungeon & Dragons Wilderness Survival Guide (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1986), pp. 52-53;

Monte Cook, Jonathan Tweet, and Skip Williams, Dungeon Master’s Guide (v. 3.5) (Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2003), 304.

The Ratikkan ration allowance would be in line with AD&D1 and D&D 3.5.

---------------------------------------
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:44 pm  

Ranks (578 CY) [22]:

Junior NCOs: 1 colored* stripe on hem of tabard [23]; 18 months’ time in service minimum; 2 shares of booty in battle.
    -Lance Corporal: Private’s pay x 2.
    -Cohort Commander’s Bugler: Recommendation of cohort commander also required; 3 gp /month.
    -Craftsman: Journeyman’s Certification and Recommendation of cohort commander also required; 6 gp/month.
    -Scout: Also wears a Ratik (red, blue, and green) sash; Must be a subject of Ratik; Recommendation of cohort commander also required; 3 gp /month.
    -Spellcaster (Arcane) [Wizard]: Also wears a Ratik sash; Must be an Ratik subject; 1st level Wizard spellcasting ability required; Recommendation of cohort commander also required; 3 gp /month.
    -Spellcaster (Divine) [Priest]: Also wears a Ratik sash; Must be an Ratik subject; 1st level Cleric spellcasting ability required; Recommendation of cohort commander also required; 3 gp /month.

NCOs: 2 colored* stripes on hem of tabard; 4 years’ time in service and 1 years’ time in grade as a Junior NCO minimum; 3 shares of booty in battle.
    -Corporal: Private’s pay x 3.
    -Brigade Commander’s Bugler: Recommendation of brigade commander also required; 6 gp /month.
    -Senior Craftsman: Recommendation of cohort commander also required; 12 gp/month.
    -Senior Scout: Also wears Ratik sash; Must be an Ratik subject; Recommendation of cohort commander also required; 6 gp /month.
    -Senior Spellcaster (Arcane) [Wizard]: Also wears Ratik sash; Must be an Ratik subject; 1st level Wizard spellcasting ability required; Recommendation of cohort commander also required; 6 gp /month.
    -Senior Spellcaster (Divine) [Priest]: Also wears Ratik sash; Must be an Ratik subject; 1st level Cleric spellcasting ability required; Recommendation of cohort commander also required; 6 gp /month.

Senior NCOs/Subalterns: 3 colored* stripes on hem of tabard; 8 years’ time in service and 1 years’ time in grade as an NCO minimum; 4 shares of booty in battle.
    -Sergeant: Literate; Private’s pay x 4.
    -Archbaron’s Bodyguard: Recommendation of the archbaron also required; 12 gp / month.
    -Archbaron’s Bugler: Recommendation of the archbaron also required; 12 gp /month.
    -Master Craftsman: Recommendation of cohort commander also required; 24 gp/month.[24]
    -Ranger: Also wears Ratik sash; Must be an Ratik subject; Recommendation of the archbaron also required; 12 gp /month.
    -Master Spellcaster (Arcane) [Wizard]: Also wears Ratik sash; Must be an Ratik subject; 2nd level Wizard spellcasting ability required; Recommendation of the archbaron also required; 12 gp /month.
    -Master Spellcaster (Divine) [Priest]: Also wears Ratik sash; Must be an Ratik subject; 2nd level Cleric spellcasting ability required; Recommendation of the archbaron also required; 12 gp /month.
    -Tribune [Subaltern]: 1 silver sunburst on tabard hem; Also wears Ratik sash; Literate; Must be a subject of Ratik; Recommendation of the archbaron also required; 6 gp /month and 6 shares of booty in battle.

Sergeant Major: Literate; 3 colored* stripes on hem of tabard; Also wears a Ratik sash; 10 years’ time in service and 1 years’ time in grade as a Sergeant minimum; 18 gp/ month and 5 shares of booty in battle.

Lieutenant: 1 silver sunburst on tabard collar; Also wears silver & Ratik sash; 2 years’ time in service and 1 years’ time in grade as a Subaltern minimum; Recommendation of the archbaron also required; 24 gp /month; 12 shares of booty in battle.

First Lieutenant: 2 silver sunbursts on tabard collar; Also wears silver & Ratik sash; 4 years’ time in service and 1 years’ time in grade as a Lieutenant minimum; Recommendation of the archbaron also required; 30 gp /month; 18 shares of booty in battle.

Captain: 3 silver sunbursts on tabard collar; Also wears silver & Ratik sash; 8 years’ time in service and 1 years’ time in grade as a First Lieutenant minimum; Recommendation of the archbaron also required; 60 gp /month; 24 shares of booty in battle.

Commander: 1 gold sunburst on tabard collar; Also wears gold & Ratik sash; 12 years’ time in service and 1 years’ time in grade as a Captain minimum; Recommendation of the archbaron also required; 90 gp /month; 36 shares of booty in battle.

Senior Commander: 2 gold sunbursts on tabard collar; Also wears gold & Ratik sash; 20 years’ time in service and 1 years’ time in grade as a Commander minimum; Recommendation of the archbaron also required; 120 gp /month; 48 shares of booty in battle.

General: 3 gold sunbursts on tabard collar; Also wears gold & Ratik sash; 25 years’ time in service and 1 years’ time in grade as a Commander minimum; Recommendation of the archbaron also required; 150 gp /month; 60 shares of booty in battle.

Marshal: Baton; 3 gold sunbursts on tabard collar; Also wears gold & Ratik sash; 25 years’ time in service and 1 years’ time in grade as a General minimum; Recommendation of the archbaron also required; 180 gp /month; 60 shares of booty in battle.

*Infantry: Grey; Cavalry: Yellow; Borderers: Dark Green; Marines: Light Blue; Sappers: Red; Craftsmen & Spellcasters: Dark Blue. NCOs in HQs Teams or in Garrison units wear their old branch color.[25]

Total authorized wages for Ratik’s Regular Army per month: 12,618 gp 5 sp (not including garrisons and supernumeries).

Table of Organization for Ratikan Military Companies (578 CY):

Infantry Companies (225 men, dwarves, or gnomes) [26]:
    7 PVTs, 1 LCPL, 1 CPL per Squad;
    6 Squads (1st of 6 led by a SGT or SBLT), plus 1 LT per Platoon;
    4 Platoons (1st of 4 led by a 1LT), plus 1 Drummer, 1 SCT, 1 SBLT, 1 SGM, and 1 CPT per Company.
    Guidon[27]: Grey w/Black Number; Attached to a longspear.

Each company has an ensign (tribune/subaltern) who carries the company guidon. This is generally the first duty position for a new subaltern before moving on to a staff position and an assistant platoon sergeant slot, particularly if they are non-prior service.

Three platoons in each company are longspearmen; one platoon are missile weapon troops (qv). [28] A spear platoon generally lines up at close arm interval, with three squads in the front rank and the other three in the second rank. The three Spear Platoons line up side-by-side (total frontage: nine squads). The Missile Platoon stands in the third rank for protection, generally three of its squads each behind the rightmost and leftmost squads. [29] The missile troops can also form a skirmish line at the double-time, 10 to 30 yards in front the spearmen. The entire company formation can spread out into a skirmish order if necessary (e.g. if faced with the threat of fireball or dragon’s breath), but this has rarely necessary against the cold barbarians or (more recently) the humanoids of the Bone March.

The three of the assistant platoon leaders are usually sergeants, the fourth is a subaltern. Those subalterns who serve as assistant platoon leaders are those who have either previously served as NCOs, or those who have at least had time to get grounding as an ensign.

Each company has one scout. Other than the basic requirements of the rank of Scout (qv), there are no specific requirements, which are largely left to the company commander’s judgement (with the cohort commander’s say-so), but skill in stealth and observation, fieldcraft, languages (enemy or friendly) are the usual criteria, although sometimes a battle mage is selected for some unusual firepower (and because they don’t make very good spearmen Wink ), or a cleric or paladin as a company medic. Invisibility and divination abilities sometimes get the nod.

Lexnol lightened the physical aspects of the Great Kingdom’s disciplinary system; Ratik does not issue the vinestaff to officers or NCOs. [30] The Company Sergeant Major generally carries a halberd as a badge of position and for defense of the ensign.

Volunteer Borderer Companies [31] (225 men):
    6 Squads (1st of 6 led by a SGT or SBLT), plus 1 LT per Platoon;
    4 Platoons (1st of 4 led by a 1LT), plus 1 Bugler, 1 SCT, 1 SBLT (guidon), 1 SGM, and 1 CPT per Company.
    Guidon: Dk. Green w/Yellow Number.

Three of the platoons carry either the shortbow or the sling, depending on the district; the fourth carries the light crossbow. In close order, it mirrors the infantry platoon’s set up with the bow or sling subbing for the spear and the crossbow in the rear or in skirmish order out front. The borderers typically fight in looser order; they often perform patrols as independent platoons (with two squads of crossbowmen attached) or even squads.

Cavalry Companies [32] (125 men):
    3 TRPs, 1 LCPL, 1 CPL per Squad;
    6 Squads (1st of 6 led by a LT, 2nd of 6 led by a SGT or SBLT,) per Platoon;
    4 Platoons (1st of 4 led by a 1LT) plus 1 Bugler, 1 SCT, 1 SBLT (guidon), 1 SGM, and 1 CPT per Company.
    Guidon: Yellow w/Blue Number; Cavalry guidons are attached to lances.

Cavalry companies reverse the usual ratio of sergeant to subaltern ratio of assistant platoon leaders; Three subalterns and one sergeant is typical in the cavalry.

Marine Companies (117 men):
    3 Squads (1st of 3 led by a SGT or SBLT), plus 1 LT per Platoon;
    4 Platoons (1st of 4 led by a 1LT), plus 1 Bugler, 1 SCT, 1 SBLT (guidon), 1 SGM, and 1 CPT per Company.
    Guidon: Lt. Blue w/White Title.

The Marine Company is based in Marner and has no vessels permanently assigned. Instead, a squad or platoon is assigned to Ratik-flagged vessels and crews that have been temporarily called to duty. [33]

Sapper Companies (117 dwarves and/or gnomes):
    7 SAPs, 1 LCPL, 1 CPL per Squad;
    3 Squads (1st of 3 led by a SGT or SBLT), plus 1 LT per Platoon;
    Guidon: Red w/Black Number.

There are no sapper companies in the regular army, only platoons, but the dwarvish and gnomish communities occasionally levy company-sized sapper units. [34]

Cohort Headquarters [35] (35 men*):
    2 SCTs, 1 Sr. SCT per Scout Team;
    2 WIZs, 1 Sr. WIZ per Arcane Spellcaster Team;
    2 PRSTs, 1 Sr. PRST per Divine Spellcaster Team;
    1 App. CRFT, 1 CRFT, 1 Sr. CRFT per Armorer Team;
    1 App. CRFT, 1 CRFT, 1 Sr. CRFT per Blacksmith Team;
    1 App. CRFT, 1 CRFT, 1 Sr. CRFT per Carpenter Team;
    1 App. CRFT, 1 CRFT, 1 Sr. CRFT per Fletcher-Bowyer Team;
    1 App. CRFT, 1 CRFT, 1 Sr. CRFT per Leatherworker Team;
    1 App. CRFT, 1 CRFT, 1 Sr. CRFT per Mason Team;
    1 App. CRFT, 1 CRFT, 1 Sr. CRFT per Weaponsmith Team;
    plus 1 CDR’s Bugler, 1 SGM, 2 SBLT, 1 CDR per HQ Element
    [*Not inc. 8 Teamsters & 1 Servant, and the cadre for a training company. These are assigned from the feudal or provincial levies. Teamsters and Servants are payed ½ gp /month.]
    Banner: Dk. Blue w/Gold Name (or Provincial Banner).

In addition to the regulars, each of Ratik’s 11 freeholds, the 3 dwarvish clans, 3 gnomish communities, and the elves each have a cohort HQ. As with the regulars, Archbaron Lexnol controls promotions. To a large extent, he was successful at preventing favoritism and nepotism, although Devonmeek seems to be a challenge; [36] The cowardly Ratikkan scout encountered by a band of barbarian adventurers while searching for the Blades of the Corusk might have been from the Devonmeek provincial staff. [37]

Brigade Headquarters [38] (15 men**):
    1 SCT, 1 Sr. SCT, 1 RGR per Scout Team;
    1 WIZ, 1 Sr. WIZ, 1 Mr. WIZ per Arcane Spellcaster Team;
    1 PRST, 1 Sr. PRST, 1 Mr. PRST per Divine Spellcaster Team;
    plus 1 Sr. CDR’s Bugler, 1 SGM, 2 SBLT, 1 LT, 1 Sr. CDR per HQ Element
    [**Not inc. 3 Teamsters & 2 Servants. These are assigned from the feudal or provincial levies]
    Banner: Dk. Blue w/Gold Name.

Army Headquarters [39] (47 men***):
    5 RGRs, 1 LT in Special Scout Team;
    5 MWIZs, 1 LT in Special Wizard Team;
    5 MPRSTs, 1 LTs in Special Priest Team;
    1 Sr. CRFT, 1 Mr. CRFT in Special Armorer Team;
    1 Sr. CRFT, 1 Mr. CRFT in Special Blacksmith Team;
    1 Sr. CRFT, 1 Mr. CRFT in Special Carpenter Team;
    1 Sr. CRFT, 1 Mr. CRFT in Special Fletcher-Bowyer Team;
    1 Sr. CRFT, 1 Mr. CRFT in Special Leatherworker Team;
    1 Sr. CRFT, 1 Mr. CRFT in Special Mason Team;
    1 Sr. CRFT, 1 Mr. CRFT in Special Weaponsmith Team;
    5 SBLTs, 1 LT in Archbaron’s Aide Team;
    1 Archbaron’s Bugler, 3 BGd SGTs, 1 SGM, 1 LT in Archbaron’s Bodyguard;
    plus 1 Herald (LT), 1 Field Marshal, 1 Archbaron in HQ Element
    [***Not inc. 13 Teamsters & 8 Servants. These are assigned from the feudal or provincial levies]
    Banner: Ratik.

Archbaron Lexnol himself selected Sir Hengon Mogotten for the position of “War Wizard of Ratikhill”, presumably sometime before his psychological collapse after Alain’s purported death in 586. In this position Sir Hengon also heads the Ratikhill School of Wizardry. It is not clear whether Sir Mengon holds this position as a member of the regular army, as a feudal (court) official, or both. Those enrolled in the School of Wizardry are liable for military service. (I will explore this later, under “Reserve Forces of Ratik”, qv). [40]

Higher-Level Table of Organization and Locations for Ratikkan Military (Spring 578 CY) [41]:

Northern District (735*):
    Timberway Cohort HQ;
    5th INF Co. (Longspear & Shortbow);
    6th INF Co. (Longspear & Shortbow);
    1st VB Co. (Shortbow & Lt. Crossbow);
    5th SAPP Platoon.

Western District (960*):
    Rakers Cohort HQ;
    3rd INF Co. (Longspear & Lt. Crossbow);
    4th INF Co. (Longspear & Shortbow);
    2nd VB Co. (Sling & Lt. Crossbow);
    1st CAV Co.;
    4th SAPP Platoon.

Central District (937*):
    Archbaron’s HQ;
    Central BDE HQ;
    Marner Cohort HQ;
    1st INF Co. (Longspear & Shortbow);
    2nd INF Co. (Longspear & Lt. Crossbow);
    2nd CAV Co.;
    3rd CAV Co.;
    1st SAPP Platoon.

Southwestern District (875*):
    S.W. BDE HQ;
    Ratikhill Cohort HQ;
    7th INF Co. (Longspear & Lt. Crossbow);
    8th INF Co. (Longspear & Shortbow);
    3rd VB Co. (Sling & Lt. Crossbow);
    4th CAV Co.;
    2nd SAPP Platoon.

Southeastern Distirict (750*):
    S.E. BDE HQ;
    Loftwood Cohort HQ;
    9th INF Co. (Longspear & Shortbow);
    10th INF Co. (Longspear & Shortbow);
    4th VB Co. [42] (Shortbow & Lt. Crossbow);
    3rd SAPP Platoon.

[*Not inc. Teamsters, Servants, members of garrisons, the cadre for a training company from the feudal or provincial levies, the feudal or provincial levies, or the volunteer borderer reserves]
    By 591, most of the Ratikan army was based in Ratikhill. [43] However, each unit still drew its recruits from its home districts.

ENDNOTES redone, below. Embarassed

Last edited by jamesdglick on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:00 am  

I mis-numbered the endnotes. Here is the corrected version:

--------------------------------------------------------------
    ENDNOTES:

[22] Carl Sargent, Atlas of the Flanaess: From the Ashes (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, Inc., 1992), p. 34.

In the Spring 584 CY, “Specialized woodsmen troops with bows as well as sling-firing [sic] hillrunners are among the cream of Ratik’s forces.” Mr. Sargent must have paid attention to the writings of EGG with regards to the VBs, giving them elite status (not particularly surprising).
    [23] Author Unknown (presumably the Nyrond triad for the Living Greyhawk Campaign), Nyrond Gazeteer 593, “Military Organization and Composition”;

Author Unknown (presumably the Ratik triad for the Living Greyhawk Campaign), “General Information on Ratik”, Ratik Gazeteer 593, “Notable Persons”;

Gary Gygax, “Developments from Stonefist to South Province”, Dragon #57 (January 1982), p. 15;

Rob Kuntz, “The Great Kingdom and the Knights of Doom”, Dragon #59 (March 1982), pp. 24-25.

In 579, Aerdi had the ranks of Captain (commanding 100-200), Greater Captains or Colonels (commanding 200-500 men), Generals (commanding 1,000-4,000 man “armies”), and two Marshals. Additionally, Gygax confirms that “the Marshal of the Archbarony laid a trap…” at the Battle of the Loftwood (implying the existence of an officer with the rank or title of Marshal). The Ratik Gazeteer mentions General Gatoril as the new commander of Ratik’s army in 593, so I figure that there might be a time lag between holding the position of overall commander and actual promotion to Marshal. This is a little different than the Nyrondese ranks, so there’s obviously been some drift. I decided to keep the rank titles of Captain, General, and Marshal, and substitute Commander and Senior Commander for Great Captain and Colonel.

[24] David Nicolle, Arthur and the Anglo Saxon Wars (London: Osprey Publishing, 1984), . Art by Angus McBride, plate A4, p. 34.

“…some students suggest that the particular details, e.g. the squares on the skirt, may have been associated with rank.” I figured this would tie in to the Roman Empire = Great Kingdom concept, but I substituted lines (like the like the Finns use) in lieu of squares for NCOs, and sunbursts for subalterns and officers, which look like the rosettes worn by Finnish officers, but the Aerdi sunburst being more appropriate for a nation with links to the old Great Kingdom. See: Peter Abbott and Nigel Thomas, Germany’s Eastern Front Allies (London: Osprey Publishing, 1982: Reprint 1985), Chart on p. 32.

[25] Clive Bartlett, English Longbowman (London: Osprey, 1995), 26.

Master Craftsman’s compensation is somewhat in line with AD&D1 and D&D 3.5 rules here; historically, England paid bowyers the same as an archer.

[26] I used the Finnish Army as the inspiration for the colors of rank insignia and guidons:

Peter Abbott and Nigel Thomas, Germany’s Eastern Front Allies (London: Osprey Publishing, 1982: Reprint 1985), Chart on p. 32.

[27] Gary Gygax, “Developments from Stonefist to South Province”, Dragon #57 (January 1982), p. 15;

McNab, Chris. The Roman Army. (NY: Metro Books, 2013; Reprint Osprey Publishing, 2010), tables on pp. 33, 133;

Nicholas Michael, Armies of Medieval Burgundy (London: Osprey Publishing, 1983; Reprint 1989), pp. 12-13, table on pp. 12-13, Table B on p. 13, p. 11, 12-13.

During the Loftwood Campaign (578), Ratik had “the standing army of 2,250 foot and 500 horse…” If each Volunteer Borderer company had 225 men (qv), then 2,250 foot were probably divided into 10 companies of 225 men each, similar to Charles the Bold’s “Ordinnance of 1473” organization, in which each “Lance” had 9 men, each “Chambre” had 6 Lances (Michael’s table has it misprinted as “16”, and each Squadron had 4 Chambre plus 1 Lance with a total of 225 men. I modernized the TO a little by making the squads of one “type”. The HQ element of a Roman company had a commander (centurion), optio (executive officer or first sergeant), a signifier (ensign), and a cornice (hornist).

[28] Nicholas Michael, Armies of Medieval Burgundy (London: Osprey Publishing, 1983; Reprint 1989), guidons and banners described on pp. 13-14, 34-36; illustrated on plate D.

[29] Nicholas Michael, Armies of Medieval Burgundy (London: Osprey Publishing, 1983; Reprint 1989), pp. 12-13, table on pp. 12-13, Table B on p. 13, p. 11, 12-13.

In Charles the Bold’s “Ordinnance 1473” organization, each “Lance” had 9 men: 1 mounted man-at-arms, 1 swordsman, 1 valet, 3 archers, 1 crossbowman, 1 pikeman, and 1 handgunner. Based on the description of Ratik’s army being spear heavy, I reversed the proportion of spearmen and missile troops, and made the platoons each of one “type”.

[30] Clive Bartlett, English Longbowman (London: Osprey, 1995), plate J, description on p. 62;

Nicholas Michael, Armies of Medieval Burgundy (London: Osprey Publishing, 1983; Reprint 1989), 14; illustration on p. 32 has bowmen in front of pikemen…

[31] Rafaele D’Amato, Roman Centurions 31 BC- AD 500, (Oxford: Osprey Publishing, 2012), captions to photos on pp. 6, 12, 13, 15, 36, 37, 39, 45, 46, plate G1 on p. 47; A centurion’s investiture with presentation of vinestaff is illustrated on plate D and described on p. 45;

Michael Simkins, The Roman Army for Caesar to Trajan (London: Osprey Publishing, 1984; Reprint 1998), 32.

[32] Gary Gygax, “Developments from Stonefist to South Province”, Dragon #57 (January 1982), p. 15;

Nicholas Michael, Armies of Medieval Burgundy (London: Osprey Publishing, 1983; Reprint 1989), pp. 12-13, table on pp. 12-13, including Table B.

During the Loftwood Campaign (578), “the standing army… was augmented by four companies of borderers (900 men) and the cadres for four more such units.” This explicitly puts the strength of each Volunteer Borderer company at 225 men (assuming equal strengths). I assume that the borderers’ Squad and Platoon level organization was similar to that of the infantry.

[33] Gary Gygax, “Developments from Stonefist to South Province”, Dragon #57 (January 1982), p. 15;

Nicholas Michael, Armies of Medieval Burgundy (London: Osprey Publishing, 1983; Reprint 1989), pp. 12-13, table on pp. 12-13, including Table B.

During the Loftwood Campaign (578), Ratik had “the standing army of 2,250 foot and 500 horse…” I assume that the organization for cavalry companies was similar to that of the infantry and the borderer companies (qv), but smaller, and 4 companies, each of 125, fits “500”, but to make it fit “125”, I assumed that each platoon leader was simultaneously the leader of squad.

[34] David Cook, (Greyhawk) Wars (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1991), Ratik Card.

Apparently, Ratik’s navy is small enough to not appear (in game terms) during the Greyhawk Wars. I assume that each infantry counter equals 2,000 men, each cavalry counter equals 1,000 men plus 1,000 mounts, and that the ship counters equal enough vessels to be manned by 1,000 men. 117 men, plus the 5-20 crewmen per mobilized vessel, is small enough to sail beneath the Zeb Cook’s radar, I assume. Wink

[35] David Cook, (Greyhawk) Wars (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1991), Ratik Card;

Gary Gygax, “Developments from Stonefist to South Province”, Dragon #57 (January 1982), p. 14.

Gygax doesn’t mention any dwarvish or gnomish units in the regular army (the 3,000 gnomes who fight at the Loftwood are local levies), but I assume that those dwarves and gnomes who live in the 11 freeholds would have to serve somewhere. Putting them in sapper platoons seems reasonable. The sapper platoons would be a partial contribution to the “Gnome” and “Dwarf” counters listed for Ratik’s military in Greyhawk Wars.

[36] Nicholas Michael, Armies of Medieval Burgundy (London: Osprey Publishing, 1983; Reprint 1989), Table A on p. 8.

I made this up, but in 1417, a Burgundian army of 10,534 men on campaign had 1 priest, 3 heralds, 53 minstrels, and 64 trumpeters.

[37] Author Unknown (presumably the Ratik triad for the Living Greyhawk Campaign), “General Information on Ratik”, Ratik Gazeteer 593, “House Devonmeek”.
    In 593, Devonmeek’s War Minister, Jennia Devonmeek, is described as spending “much of her time designing new uniforms and crests and motifs.” Part of their problem is being “situated far enough inland to be left out of most border skirmishing.” Being away from the southern border with the bone March and away from the sea seems to shield Devonmeek’s militia is described as being over-dressed and (relatively?) inept, and as over-rated “clowns” despite the fact that other Houses pay high prices to Devonmeek militia to augment their own forces [Note: This seems to be something of a contradiction]. As a creative note, whatever it is that inspired the creation of the Freehold of Devonmeek must have really gotten up someone’s craw… Wink

[38] Dale Henson, Howl from the North, (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, Inc., 1991), pp. 15-16.

[39] Nicholas Michael, Armies of Medieval Burgundy (London: Osprey Publishing, 1983; Reprint 1989), Table A on p. 8.

I made this up, but in 1417, a Burgundian army of 10,534 men on campaign had 1 priest, 3 heralds, 53 minstrels, and 64 trumpeters.

[40] Nicholas Michael, Armies of Medieval Burgundy (London: Osprey Publishing, 1983; Reprint 1989), Table A on p. 8.

[41] Author Unknown (presumably the Ratik triad for the Living Greyhawk Campaign), Ratik Gazeteer 593, “Notable Persons”.

[42] Author Unknown (presumably the Ratik triad for the Living Greyhawk Campaign), Ratik Gazeteer 593, “General Information on Ratik”;

Gary Gygax, “Developments from Stonefist to South Province”, Dragon #57 (January 1982), p. 14;

Nicholas Michael, Armies of Medieval Burgundy (London: Osprey Publishing, 1983; Reprint 1989), Table B on p. 13, p. 11, 12-13.

Each “Lance” in the Burgundian “Ordinnance 1473” armies actually had 1 mounted man-at-arms, 1 swordsman, 1 valet, 3 archers, 1 crossbowman, 1 pikeman, and 1 handgunner. Based on the description of Ratik’s army army being spear heavy, I reversed the proportion of spearmen and missile troops. I also modernized the TO a little by making the squads of one “type”.

The list of provincial noble houses, from (roughly) north to south as of 593: Ulthek; Keth; Abonhoth; Cormick; Marner; Devonmeek; Loegrim; Fadric; Optwall; Bredivan; Bresht. Dwarven clans: Ukamanini; Ukakane; Ukaloa. Gnome communities: Nonizhold/Daberestead; Two others.
    I assume that each noble house, each dwarven clan, three gnomish communities, and the elves (who provided about 600 troops to the Battle of the Loftwood in 578) are allowed one cohort HQ each.
    I assume that Ulthek, Keth, and Abonhoth contribute conscripts to the Northern District. Marner and part of Cormick contribute conscripts to the Central District. The other part of Cormick, Devonmeek, and part of Loegrim contribute conscripts to the Western District. The other part of Loegrim, part of Optwall, and Bresht contribute conscripts to the Southwestern District, and the other parts of Fadric and Optwall, plus Bresht, contribute conscripts to the Northern District. The dwarven clans, the gnome communities, and the elves to not contribute conscripts to Ratik’s army, but do so through frequent call-ups of their levies. Those non-humans who are part of human communities are liable for conscription to the national army and the local levies, just as humans are.

[43] Lau, Matt, “Scalphunt” RTK[m]3-01 Living Greyhawk Ratik Regional Adventure.

By 591, the 4th Volunteer Borderer Company may have picked up the formal or informal name “Loftwood Foresters”.

[44] Author Unknown (presumably the Ratik triad for the Living Greyhawk Campaign), “General Information on Ratik,” Ratik Gazeteer 593, “Recent History”, “Notable Sites”, “House Bredivan”, “House Bresht”;

Gary Gygax, “Developments from Stonefist to South Province”, Dragon #57 (January 1982), 15.

Lexnol considered moving on Dekspoint and Johnsport in late 578 or 579, but it seems nothing came of it.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:26 am  

Icarus wrote:

All it says in the adventure is that she's "a young girl". I'd kind of assumed she was much younger than 15 in 591, but, the description fits well enough, I s'pose...

-In the Ratik Living Greyhawk article on "Notable Sites: House Bredivan", it calls Kitavia Bredivan a "female, human teen". The "teen" must have been what made me think she was 16 or so. Teen could refer to 12 or 13, I suppose.

There's a reference in one adventure to a tree that was awakened by Kitavia's mother (the Lady of the Wood, or some such) because that's where she fell in love (with Krevik, I assume), but I don't think there's a hint of how many years ago that was.

On a different topic, I don't have RTK01-01 "Best Defense", which apparently details military actions in Kalmar Pass in 591. Are there any context clues for Ratik's military in there?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:10 pm  

EDIT: In RTK[m] 3-03, p. 5, the Loftwood Foresters "offer their services as an ally of Ratik" after being rescued by adventurers. This would make the Foresters natives who live deep enough in the Loftwood to not be subject to Ratikkan authority. So, I guess that rules them out as volunteer borderers.

------------------------------------------------
    My next section will probably be the fuzziest, explaining who would be which level or what class. I hope it's a useful and entertaining general overviewof the topic.

For the AD&D (or older edition D&D) player, I offer the following explanation for D&D 3X classes:

Warrior 1: Sort of like a 0 level Man-at-arms (4-7 hit points; 2 or 3 weapon proficiencies; able to use armor or shields, etc.), but has the THAC 0 of a 1st level Fighter.

Aristocrat 1: A 0 level Man-at-arms, but attacks as 0 level.

Adept 1: Sort of like a 0 level Cleric with 1-6 hit points and no skill with armor, or one of those humanoid Shamans or Witch Doctors.

Expert 1: Sort of like a 0 level Man with 1-6 hit points, but with the skills of a Expert (a little like the craftsmen or artisans in the AD&D1 Dungeoneer's Survival Guide, p. 24, 29, but with 1-6 hps instead of 1-4).

Commoner: Sort of a 0 level Man with only 1 weapon proficiency (if that), no skill with armor and 1-4 hit points.

People in these NPC classes rise like other levels, unlike a 0 level NPC, who, with enough XPs, simply becomes a 1st level type (assuming you ignore that "0 level NPCs don't gain XPs" theory).

--
    I'll start with my assumptions:

I DM D&D 3.5, but I keep the levels are kept at a AD&D1 and AD&D2 sensibility. For example, In AD&D, a typical orc has 1 Hit Die, NCOs or junior officers (4 for every 20 1 HD orcs) have 1 Hit Die and 8 hit points, while bodyguards, sub-chiefs, and chiefs have 3 or 4 HD (AD&D1 MM, p. 76). In D&D 3.5, typical orcs are 1 HD 1st level warriors, there is typically a 3rd level orc for every 10, while senior orcs tend to be 5th - 7th level (D&D 3.5 MM, p. 203). Ugh! Laughing Confused

IMC, the typical orc is a War1, an NCO or junior officer (typically 4 for every 30 orcs) are usually (better trained) 1st level fighters or (tougher and crazier) 1st level barbarians. Bodyguards and sub-leaders are War2 or 3 or Ftr2 or 3, or a combo' therof (e.g. War1/Ft2). Chiefs are War4 or Ftr4 (or a combo thereof). So, by typical D&D 3X standards, my orcs might be either under-trained (by class) or under-experienced (by level). So it goes with most of the other humanoid races. On the other hand, to make up for D&D 3.5 under-powering hobgoblins, I assume that a large percentage of them are (better trained) Ftr1s, which, considering their high level of self-discipline (particularly compared to most of the humanoid races), makes sense. YMMV, so you may need to adjust for your campaign. Laughing

In the Glossography for the Guide to the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting, EGGygax assumes that there is one "Veteran” for every five “Regulars” (0 level), but in the text he describes veterans as 2nd level, while describing them as 1st level in the table. One thing to keep in mind is that the men on a patrol might be better trained, experienced, or equipped than the average soldier (compare to "Soldiery"). Ratikkan patrols are medium levy, or woodsman.

Sargent doesn’t change this very much; he puts patrols in the same general categories. The troops tend to be less well equipped (finances after the Greyhawk Wars, you know), and even levied troops are at least 1st level fighters. Of course, this is immediately after the Greyhawk Wars, when it wouldn’t have been hard to call up veterans (even if they weren’t happy about it). In From the Ashes, Sargent also describes Ratikkan patrols as regular, levy, or woodsman.

In The Glory of Rome, late Republican and early Imperial legionnaires were 1st level fighters, NCOs are 2nd level fighters, and the centurion in charge of an 80-man century is 3rd to 5th level. The men of an elite 1st cohort are usually one level higher (picked from experienced men in the other 9 cohorts), with higher level NCOs and centurions. The most experienced soldier, a primus pilus, would be at least an 8th level fighter. A legion that fought a lot and most of the legionnaires survived might add another level. This is about as well trained and experienced as any large sized fighting force could hope to be, although Gygax allowed for higher levels among high-ranking officers in the Glossography and the AD&D1 DMG. In the Flanaess, the level of training and skill might be found units like the the Nyrondese legions before the Greyhawk Wars, or in the Great Kingdom’s armies in its heyday, or the Overking's Companion Guard.

Rome’s various enemies are generally portrayed as a combination of 0 level and 1st level types, with a 1st or 2nd level Fighter for every 20 men and a 2nd to 4th level fighter for every 100.

In Carl Sargent's Folk, Feuds, and Factions, a typical member of the Greyhawk Watch (“Man-at-Arms) is a 1st level fighter, a Junior Sergeant is a 2nd level fighter, and a Sergeant-at-Arms is a 3rd level fighter. This is about as well-trained as Roman legionnaires.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:13 pm  

I know that this is really a nitpick ... but, is it just me, or is the formatting on this thread somehow blown out? Rather than the 1500 pixels or whatever the CF! banner is at the top, this one is almost margin to margin on my screen?

Is it just me?
    Am I alone?
    Please don't let me be the only one!
    Happy Laughing
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:32 pm  

Not just you. On my laptop I have to use the bottom srollbar to read everything. Maybe someone used the Widen Spell feat.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:05 pm  

Looks fine on mine. Sometimes when folks cut-n-paste stuff it can make a forum page wonky wide. One of the tech-wizards might know why it happens sometimes, and sometimes not.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:37 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Looks fine on mine. Sometimes when folks cut-n-paste stuff it can make a forum page wonky wide...

-This is cut and pasted from my notes, so that's probably it.

A lot of my stuff is in Word Table format which does not translate at all, so I've had to "translate". When I read this on Canonfire, it comes in fine, but I've noticed the "widening" phenomenon on other threads.

EDIT: Compared to most threads, this one is wider, but it's readable.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:23 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:
    EDIT: Compared to most threads, this one is wider, but it's readable.

Yes, it is. It's perfectly legible. And, ultimately, that's all that is important. Smile
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:34 am  

This would have been better placed in between The Fest Games and Initial Entry Training:

----------------------------
    EDIT:

The Recruits:

Approximate percentage of enlistment category and class into combat arms, inc. Subalterns (The percentage is what they were on their 16th birthday;[13] many progress beyond that by the time of actual enlistment):

25 year Professionals (5.0% of Ratikkan human males):
    Ftr: 0.1%;
    War: 4.4%;
    Ari: 0.1%;
    Exp (Ari): 0.1%
    Exp: 0.1%;
    Com: 0.2%.

2-Year Volunteers (42.2% of Ratikkan human males):
    Ftr: 0.3%;
    Rgr: 0.2%;
    Pal: 0.1%;
    Rog: 0.1%;
    Brd: 0.1%;
    War: 2.6%;
    Ari: 0.4%;
    Exp (Rog): 0.1%;
    Exp (Brd): 0.1%;
    Exp: 1.2%;
    Com (War): 0.3%;
    Com (Exp): 0.1%;
    Com: 36.6%.

18-Month Conscripts (33.1% of Ratikkan human males):
    Ftr: 0.0%;
    Bbn: 0.2%;
    Rog: 0.1%;
    Scout: 0.1%;
    Sor: 0.1%;
    War (Ftr): 0.1%
    War (Pal): 0.1%
    War: 0.3%;
    Ari: 0.1%;
    Exp (Drd): 0.1%;
    Exp (Rgr): 0.1%;
    Exp: 0.8%;
    Adp (Clr): 0.1%;
    Adp: 0.4%;
    Com (Wiz): 0.1%;
    Com (War): 0.1%;
    Com: 30.2%.

Approximate percentage of enlistment category and class who become craftsmen (The percentage is what they were on their 16th birthday; many progress beyond that by the time of actual enlistment):

Craftsmen (0.5% of Ratikkan human males):
    Exp: 0.4%;
    Com (Exp): 0.1%.

Approximate percentage of enlistment category and class who become spellcasters (The percentage is what they were on their 16th birthday; many progress beyond that by the time of actual enlistment. This a particularly important consideration for Clerics and Wizards, whose training periods are very long. Many Clerics, or Clerics-in-training, are not accepted due to alignment reasons):

Spellcasters (0.4% of Ratikkan human males):
    Clr: 0.2%;
    Drd: 0.1%;
    Sor: 0.1%;
    Wiz: 0.1%.

The remainder of the male Ratikkan population is either relegated to garrison service, is rejected for military service outright, or simply avoids service (The percentage is what they were on their 16th birthday; some progress beyond that by the time of actual enlistment, although most are of the sort who do not):

Garrison, Rejected, or Dodged (18.8% of Ratikkan human males):
    Ftr: 0.0%;
    Bbn: 0.2%;
    Rog: 0.2%;
    War (Ftr): 0.1%
    War: 0.3%;
    Exp (Clr): 0.1%;
    Exp: 0.3%;
    Adp: 0.1%;
    Com (Sor): 0.1%;
    Com: 17.3%.

----------
    ENDNOTE:

[13] Monte Cook, Jonathan Tweet, and Skip Williams, Dungeon Master’s Guide (v. 3.5). (Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2003), 138-139;

Monte Cook, Jonathan Tweet, and Skip Williams, Player’s Handbook (v. 3.5) (Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2003), 109.

The percentage of adult males at age 16 is an extrapolation of the percentage of the population that is a certain class in the D&D 3.5 DMG and the starting ages for the various classes in the PHB (assuming that the starting ages for NPC classes is 16-19). I also assume that the “fighting types” are disproportionately male for D&D 3.5 (and the Flanaess). I also assume that Ratik’s class distribution at age 16 is roughly average, except that I deducted -0.1 for Monks, which I replaced with Scout.

END EDIT.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:19 am  

This would have been better before "RECRUITS":

Resources:

In 578 CY, about 1,379 Ratikkan human males, 9 gnomish males, 12 dwarvish males, and 12 “miscellaneous” males (mostly half-human) became available for military service. Of those, 238 of the humans, 1 gnome, and 1 dwarf did not serve (either rejected for service, or somehow dodged), while 18 humans and 1 half-orc were detailed to garrison service, leaving 1,112 humans, 8 gnomes, 11 dwarves, and 11 others for full, active-duty service. Additionally, 783 “Outsiders” enlisted for “human” units and 43 enlisted for “dwarvish” or “gnomish” units. [13]

ENDNOTES:

[13] Gary Holian, Erik Mona, Sean K. Reynolds, and Frederick Weining, Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, (Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2000), 591 CY population of 109,415 adult humans; 8,864 adult mountain dwarves; 2,216 hill dwarves; 8,310 adult halflings; 4,155 elves; 2,770 gnomes; 1,385 adult half-elves; 1,385 adult half-orcs on p. 89.

Gary Gygax, A Guide to the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR Inc., 1983), 576 CY population of 35,000 “total human population”; 8,000 + Mountain Dwarf “fighting males” (see definition p. 18); 3,000 + Gnome “fighting males”.p. 32; definition of “fighting males” on p. 18 off the Glossography.

Gary Gygax, Glossography for the Guide to the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR Inc., 1983), definition for “total human population” on p. 3, which does not include garrisons.

Carl Sargent, From the Ashes: Atlas of the Flanaess (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR Inc., 1992), 585 CY population of 36,000 Humans; 8,000 Dwarves; 3,000 Gnomes on reference card #2.

The 1,379 male humans coming of age every year is about what Ratik would need to go from 35,000 humans to 109,415. This would imply a very high rate of births, and a low rate of deaths, but not impossible rates. I assume, however, that much of the population increase between 576 and 591 came from naturalization of Bone March exiles.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:49 am  

Membership in Ratikkan Units (Spring 578 CY):

Infantry:
    19.7% Ratikkan Professionals;
    42.6% Outsider Professionals;
    11.6% Ratikkan 2-Year Volunteers;
    42.6% Outsider 2-Year Volunteers;
    45.0% Ratikkan 18-Month Conscripts.

Volunteer Borderers:
    26.9% Ratikkan Professionals;
    0.0% Outsider Professionals;
    73.1% Ratikkan 2-Year Volunteers;
    0.0% Outsider 2-Year Volunteers;
    0.0% Ratikkan 18-Month Conscripts.

Cavalry:
    16.6% Ratikkan Professionals;
    28.4% Outsider Professionals;
    17.2% Ratikkan 2-Year Volunteers;
    21.0% Outsider 2-Year Volunteers;
    16.8% Ratikkan 18-Month Conscripts.

Marines:
    12.8% Ratikkan Professionals;
    30.8% Outsider Professionals;
    13.7% Ratikkan 2-Year Volunteers;
    42.7% Outsider 2-Year Volunteers;
    0.0% Ratikkan 18-Month Conscripts.

Sapper:
    11.9% Ratikkan Professionals;
    23.8% Outsider Professionals;
    9.4% Ratikkan 2-Year Volunteers;
    49.6% Outsider 2-Year Volunteers;
    5.3% Ratikkan 18-Month Conscripts.

[Note: In this case, “Ratikkan” only refers to those Ratikkans liable to active duty service in the 11 (mostly human) freeholds. “Outsider” includes members of the dwarven clans and the elven and gnomish communities as well as foreigners. Many foreigners are granted Ratikkan subjecthood, but this is normally only done for either long or valorous service, although is sometimes granted to fill certain positions e.g. craftsmen, spellcasters, or scouts.]

Training & Experience (Spring 578):

Although Ratik’s situation required a disproportionately large force compared to its population, which in turn required conscription and the acceptance of mercenaries and precluded stringent recruiting standards, the Ratikkans did well with what they had, at least until Archbaron Lexnol’s demise. Lexnol continued the training policies of the Great Kingdom in its heyday: Continuous training at the individual and unit level, culminating in force-on-force training the week before each fest. [46]

Amount of training for a… to become a…:
    1st level commoner conscript… 1st level expert: < 1 year, 0 months.
    1st level commoner 2 year-volunteer… 1st level expert: < 1 year, 2 months.
    1st level commoner career volunteer… 1st level fighter: < 2 years, 3 months.
    1st level expert 2 year-volunteer… 1st level aristocrat: < 1 year, 2 months.
    1st level aristocrat career volunteer… 1st level fighter: < 7 months.
    1st level warrior conscript… 1st level fighter: < 6 months.
    1st level warrior 2 year-volunteer… 1st level fighter: < 5 months.
    1st level warrior career volunteer… 1st level fighter: < 5 months.
    [My assumptions: In D&D 3.5, the two biggest differences between a 1st level Warrior and a 1st level Fighter are: 1) Hit Points (i.e. d8 hit die vs. d10 hit die) and 2) One fancier skill (i.e. 1 bonus fighter feat). The former could be gained from a combination of more intense physical fitness training, improved melee combat training (i.e. dodge and parry), and better training to avoid direct missile shots (taking over, dodge, and parry). Therefore, a 1st level Warrior who goes through a rigorous and competently instructed training program shouldn’t take too long to become a 1st level Fighter. On the other hand, a Fighter doesn’t have “Profession” as a primary skill, and gets far fewer skill points, so many of those who intend to live in “The Real World” (outside of the military) would prefer simply becoming an Expert (or Aristocrat).]

Additionally, continuous action against the humanoids of the Bone March ensured that Ratik’s regulars and levies had a leavening of experienced NCOs and officers. The southeastern and southwestern districts see action against the Bone March, and activity alongside (or against) Suel barbarians, in the Rakers, and at sea provide experience for the other districts, who are also frequently called to assist in the south (particularly the regulars). [47]

Sample Regular Longspearmen, Spring 578:

Squad Leader: 20 out of 24 are CPLs (Ftr2+), 3 out of 24 are SGTs (Ftr2 or Ftr3+), 1 in 24 is a TRIB (Ftr1 or Ftr2+).
    Assistant Squad Leader: LCPL (Ftr1 or Ftr2+).
    7 x Privates: 2-4 Ftr1; 0-1 War1; 2-4 Exp1; 0-1 Com1; 0-1 “Oddball” (e.g., Adp1, Ari1, 1st level miscellaneous PC class Sor1); 0-1 “Ringer” (Ftr2+).
    [The “+” indicates a 1/36 chance that the individual is of an even higher level e.g., Ftr3 or more for a squad leader. “Oddballs” are often people who had the skills for a position (e.g. subaltern, spellcaster), but weren’t accepted for some reason (alignment, unwillingness to volunteer, etc). “Ringers” are usually soldiers who have experience, but haven’t been promoted for some reason (e.g., experienced foreign mercenaries who haven’t been in long enough to be promoted, illiterates, the demoted, etc.)]
    Platoon Leader: 3 in 4 are LTs (Ft2+) and 1 in 4 is a 1LT (Ftr2 or Ftr3+).
    [Officers are often of the Marshal PC class instead of Fighters.]
    Company Drummer: PVT (Exp1 or Rog1 or Brd1+).
    Company Scout: Scout ([Rgr1]-Rgr3+).
    [The “[ ]” indicates a 1/6 chance of being relatively low level. Scouts are often Scout or Rogue class, or just about anything.]
    Company Ensign: TRIB (War1 or Ari1 or Ftr1+).
    Company Sergeant Major: ([Ftr2]-Ftr4+).
    Company Commander: Captain ([Ftr2]-Ftr4+).[48]

Men in the 4th (missile weapon) platoon of an infantry company might be Rangers or Scouts instead of Fighters; Ratikkan rookies are more likely to be skilled with a weapon (used for hunting or competition) before joining the army than Ratikkan recruits who become spearmen.
    Volunteer borderers are more likely to become Scouts or Rangers than Fighters. Most start out with somewhat better self-training (or service in a militia). They generally see more combat than the infantry, but have slightly less experience overall, since they are all Ratikkans, most of whom do not make the military a career. This also means that a larger percentage never bother to become anything other than Experts.
    A larger percentage of cavalrymen come from better socio-economic backgrounds. Most of those Aristocrats who don’t get selected as Subalterns end up joining the cavalry. Many Ratikkan conscripts or 2-year volunteers become Knights instead of Fighters, but most of those who intend to become professionals become Fighters. Some Ratikkans become Marshals in hopes of being selected for Subaltern later in their enlistment, or in hopes of qualifying if called up in a feudal or provincial levy.
    Marines sometimes take the Swashbuckler or Rogue classes instead of Fighter.

Feudal and provincial levies are often more experienced than their regular counterparts, particularly privates: Unlike many of the regulars, they have already completed an active term of service. This is also true of spellcasters and craftsmen, who frequently take their talents to “The Real World”. On the other hand, levies are more likely to be those who didn’t become Fighters because the Expert class is more conducive to living in “The Real World”; even those who became Fighters are likely to pick up their additional levels in the NPC classes (but not always, of course).[49] Overall, Ratik should have far fewer members of the Commoner class than is typically found in the Flanaess, largely restricted to those who have served in the military.

ENDOTES:

[46] Chris McNab, The Roman Army. (NY: Metro Books, 2013; Reprint Osprey Publishing, 2010), 152-153;
    Nicholas Michael, Armies of Medieval Burgundy (London: Osprey Publishing, 1983; Reprint 1989), 14.
    Roman legionnaires were expected to train continuously; Charles the Bold’s 1473 Ordinannce required maneuvers and an inspection every three months.

My assumption that the Ratikkans are unusually militarily effective is just a hunch, based on the fact that a small country avoided being overwhelmed by what seems to be greatly superior numbers of orcs, gnolls, and other humanoids from the south, while having to keep an eye on the north and the Rakers as well. Some of this might have been a diplomatic superiority (e.g. alliances with the Frutzi and Knurl), and some of it might have been at the strategic/operational level, i.e. the competence of generals (e.g. the Marshal’s ambush of the Vile Rune at the Loftwood), but the Ratikkans still would have found a way to turn a typical Ratikkan into a relatively effective soldier. Effect training will do that.

[47] Gary Gygax, “Developments from Stonefist to South Province”, Dragon #57 (January 1982), p. 14.

Gygax mentions a “Ratiker-Fruztti” expedition against Stonefist in 577.
    At battle of the Loftwood 578: 3,650 Ratikkan regulars; about 4,000 levies and militia; about 3,000 gnome levies and militia; 600 elves. This seems to be all of Ratik’s infantry, borderer, and cavalry companies; Most of the levies and militia came from the southeastern freeholds; I assume that the following levied companies served at the battle: 12 SE infantry; 1 SE cavalry; 1 infantry from the Central district; 1 SW infantry; 1 SW cavalry; 2 W infantry.

[48] My assumptions, and precedent, regarding class and levels:

Monte Cook, Jonathan Tweet, and Skip Williams, Dungeon Master’s Guide (v. 3.5) (Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2003);
    Gary Gygax, Monster Manual [AD&D1], (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1977; Reprint 1979), 130 (gnoll); 153 (hobgoblin); 203(orc).

I DM D&D 3.5, but I keep the levels are kept at a AD&D1 and AD&D2 sensibility. For example, in AD&D, a typical orc has 1 Hit Die; NCOs or junior officers (4 for every 20 1 HD orcs) have 1 Hit Die and 8 hit points; Bodyguards, sub-chiefs, and chiefs have 3 or 4 HD (AD&D1 MM, p. 76). In D&D 3.5, typical orcs are 1 HD 1st level warriors, there is typically a 3rd level orc for every 10, while senior orcs tend to be 5th - 7th level (D&D 3.5 MM, p. 203).

IMC, the typical orc is a War1, NCO or junior officer orcs (typically 4 for every 30) are usually (better trained) 1st level fighters or (tougher and crazier) 1st level barbarians. Bodyguards and sub-leaders are War2 or 3 or Ftr2 or 3, or a combo therof (e.g. War1/Ft2), and chiefs are War4 or Ftr4 (or a combo thereof). So, by typical D&D 3X standards, my version might be either under-trained (by class) or under-experienced (by level). So it goes. To make up for D&D 3.5 under-powering hobgoblins, I assume that a far larger percentage of them are (better trained) Ftr1s, which, considering their high level of self-discipline (particularly compared to most of the humanoid races), makes sense.

Gary Gygax, Glossography for the Guide to the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1983), patrols and military described on 4-7; Ratik Table on p. 10 (medium patrols, levy patrols, and woodsmen);
    Sargent, Carl Sargent, Atlas of the Flanaess: From the Ashes (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1992), patrols described on Reference Card #7; Ratik on Reference Card #10 (regular, levy, and woodsman patrols).
    In the Glossography for the Guide to the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting, Gygax assumes that there is one "Veteran” for every five “Regulars” (0 level), but in the text he describes veterans as 2nd level, while describing them as 1st level in the table. One thing to keep in mind is that the men on a patrol might be better trained, experienced, or equipped than the average soldier (compare to "Soldiery"). Ratikkan patrols are medium levy, or woodsman.
    Sargent doesn’t change this too much. He puts patrols in the same general categories. The troops tend to be less well equipped (finances after the Greyhawk Wars, you know), and even levied troops are at least 1st level fighters. Of course, this is immediately after the Greyhawk Wars, when it wouldn’t have been hard to call up veterans (even if they weren’t happy about it). In From the Ashes, Sargent also describes Ratikkan patrols as regular, levy, or woodsman.

Mike Breault and Thomas M. Reid, Glory of Rome [AD&D2] (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1993), pp. 54 (legionaires), 55 (NCOs and officers) vs. their opponents on pp. 59-62;
    Gary Gygax, A Guide to the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR Inc., 1983), p. 23 (Overking’s Companion Guard).

In The Glory of Rome, late Republican and early Imperial legionnaires were 1st level fighters, NCOs are 2nd level fighters, and the centurion in charge of an 80-man century is 3rd to 5th level. The men of an elite 1st cohort are usually one level higher (picked from experienced men in the other 9 cohorts), with higher level NCOs and centurions. The most experienced soldier, a primus pilus, would be at least an 8th level fighter. A legion that fought a lot and most of the legionnaires survived might add another level. This is about as well trained and experienced as any large sized fighting force could hope to be, although Gygax allowed for higher levels among high-ranking officers in the Glossography and the AD&D1 DMG. In the Flanaess, the level of training and skill might be found units like the the Nyrondese legions before the Greyhawk Wars, or in the Great Kingdom’s armies in its heyday, or the Overking's Companion Guard. Rome’s various enemies are generally portrayed as a combination of 0 level and 1st level types, with a 1st or 2nd level Fighter for every 20 men and a 2nd to 4th level fighter for every 100. This probably more typical of what you’d see in the Flanaess.
    Rome’s various enemies are generally portrayed as a combination of 0 level and 1st level types, with a 1st or 2nd level Fighter for every 20 men and a 2nd to 4th level fighter for every 100. This probably more typical of what you’d see in the Flanaess.

Carl Sargent and Rik Rose, Greyhawk: Folk, Feuds, and Factions (Lake Geneva, TSR, 1989), p. 11.

The typical member of the Greyhawk Watch (“Man-at-Arms) is a 1st level fighter, a Junior Sergeant is a 2nd level fighter, and a Sergenat-at-Arms is a 3rd level fighter. This is about as well-trained as Roman legionnaires.

[49] Matt Lau, The Ungoblin RTK 3-05 Living Greyhawk Ratik Regional Adventure, p. 20;
    Matt Lau, The Whispering Tide RTK 3-06 Living Greyhawk Ratik Regional Adventure, p. 13.
    In 593, Lord Krevik Bredivan was an Ari5/Ftr6, but his “captain” (possibly the Bredivan Cohort Commander, assuming that Lord Bredivan does not fill that position himself), Sir Barrett Winden, is a Ftr7. Lord Aramson Cormik is an Ari4/Ftr4/Duelist1, while the other guests on the Whispering Tide are strictly NPC class-types.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu May 11, 2017 9:48 am  

I should have put this with equipment issue:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Higher ranking individuals, particularly those working on staffs, are generally issued additional equipment:

Craftsman (LCPL equivalent): Tools (as appropriate).

Master Craftsman (SGT equivalent): Masterwork-Quality Tools (as appropriate)—the original tools are returned for re-issue to someone else.

Apprentice Arcane Spellcaster (PVT equivalent): Spell Component Pouch.

Arcane Spellcaster (LCPL equivalent) or Senior Arcane Spellcaster (CPL equivalent): Wand of (various 0 level spells). The Spell Component Pouch is kept.

Master Arcane Spellcaster (SGT equivalent): Wand of (various 1st level spells)—the 0 level wand is returned for re-issue to someone else. The Spell Component Pouch is kept.

Apprentice Divine Spellcaster (PVT equivalent): Healer’s Kit and Spell Component Pouch.

Divine Spellcaster (LCPL equivalent) or Senior Divine Spellcaster (CPL equivalent): Wand of Cure Minor Wounds- the 0 level wand is returned for re-issue to someone else. The Healer’s Kit and the Spell Component Pouch are both kept.

Master Divine Spellcaster (SGT equivalent): Wand of Cure Light Wounds—the 0 level wand is returned for re-issue to someone else. The Healer’s Kit and Spell Component Pouch are both kept.

Bodyguards, Sergeants Major, Subalterns, and Officers serving on the various staffs are issued a Light Warhorse with Military Saddle; Bit & Bridle; Saddle Blanket; Horse Shoes x 4.

The three Brigade Commanders, the General/Field Marshal, and the Archbaron all possess Aspect Mirrors for long range communications.

The Field Marshal is issued a magical, protective Baton [gives the bearer a +2 to AC and minor fire, cold, and electrical resistance].

At the chain of commands’ discretion, any personnel might be issued additional equipment or mounts depending on the mission and the soldiers’ individual skill whenever funding and equipment are available. Scouts particularly fall into this situation: Masterwork, silver, cold iron, and/or magical arrows, bolts, or sling bullets, potions of invisibility, horseshoes of speed, and the like might be issued. The limiting factor is usually expense.
    GreySage

Thu May 11, 2017 12:34 pm  

Icarus wrote:
    I know that this is really a nitpick ... this one is almost margin to margin on my screen?

Is it just me?
    Am I alone?

Nope! Wonky on mine too, whereas the other threads are just fine.

Sat May 13, 2017 6:29 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Icarus wrote:
    I know that this is really a nitpick ... this one is almost margin to margin on my screen?

Is it just me?
    Am I alone?

Nope! Wonky on mine too, whereas the other threads are just fine.

-It might be because I'm cutting and pasting from a Word document. I really don't know what to do about it. Confused
    GreySage

Sat May 13, 2017 7:46 am  

jamesdglick wrote:
    It might be because I'm cutting and pasting from a Word document. I really don't know what to do about it. Confused

In my experience . . . that's the cause. And I've yet to figure out what to do about it, except . . . don't sweat it. It doesn't distract from the narrative, it's just a puzzle that makes folks wonder, that's all.

Pray continue. Cool

Tue May 16, 2017 5:41 am  

Try dropping it into a simple text editor first before copying it and pasting it here. Most of what I write I compose on Microsoft Notepad.
    GreySage

Tue May 16, 2017 11:42 am  

I'll give Notepad a try, next time I experience this problem. Thanks Rasgon.

Mon May 22, 2017 11:33 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    ...Pray continue. Cool

-Hmmm... I could use some negative criticism. Keeps me sharp, you know. Wink

As I noted, I don't see Ratik's army using the commission purchase system, and I don't ever remember seeing it mentioned in any source on the Flanaess. You can purchase a knighthood with the Knights of Medegia, which is close, so by extension, maybe in Medegia, and by further extension, anywhere in the old Great Kingdom? Furyondy might, based on what's mentioned of its army in [i]Fate of Istus[i] and [i]Marklands[i], and Veluna gives off that vibe. I might say Nyrond, but no mention of it in the [i]Nyrond Gazetteer 593[i]. Keoland, Sterich, or Geoff? I don't see it for Gran March, for the same reason I don't see it for Ratik.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:43 am  

A little more:

------------------------------
    The need to dip deeper into a small talent pool, and perhaps the demise of Archbaron Lexnol, may have resulted in a drop in the level of training and experience among male Ratikkans during the late 580s. For example, the population of Grassflats ca. 591 seems to have more 1st level commoners than one would expect in a nation that has had about 30 years of universal military service.[51] By 592, part of an infantry squad in Kalmar Pass is made up entirely of 1st level Warriors [52]; It is possible that their adult supervision was temporarily missing, but it is odd that none of the Warrior class soldiers had managed to become 1st level Fighters. Perhaps they were part of a hired mercenary band rather the Ratikkan soldiers? Or levies who had yet to serve on active duty?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:52 am  

1) CORRECTION of typo:

Training & Experience (Spring 578):

Amount of training for a… to become a…:

1st level commoner conscript… 1st level expert: < 1 year, 0 months.

1st level commoner 2 year-volunteer… 1st level expert: < 10 months...

..misread my notes. In my rules for NPCs, I assume that someone who wanted the training would learn faster than someone who doesn't.

2) Craig Broadhurst's version of the Battle of the Loftwood (578):

http://www.creightonbroadhurst.com/borderland-of-adventure-40-the-slaughter-begins/

http://www.creightonbroadhurst.com/borderland-of-adventure-41-a-close-run-thing/

...his version seems to wage through most of the day. I assume that ambush of the Vile Rune's lead elements occurred at 03:39 AM, continued through civil twilight, and will probably end about one hour later as the sun rises (not including the pursuit). I figure that the orcs (most of whom are in the rear of the line of march) won't be too thrilled about fighting in full daylight. This also helps explain why Gygax lists the fatalities among the other humanoid groups were in the 50% to 75% range, but the orcs only lost around 20%.

FWIW, I actually had PCs play as part of Queg's band. It didn't work quite as well as it did in Gygax's official account. Ah! PCs! Changing history! (Well, a lot of it was my "fault") Shocked Laughing I also have another player serving in the 1st Infantry Company who was part of the initial ambush of the bandits/brigands, helped hold off a last hurrah by surviving worgriders, and is currently awaiting the attack of the orcs themselves.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:25 am  

Duchy of Urnst

A few gleanings on the Duchy of Urnst's military and the Pathwardens in "Natural Selection" in Dungeon #85.

I assume that the plot takes place in 591 CY (the year that most 2001 material would take place), from late Brewfest to early Patchwall (pp. 73, 75). The attack took place the evening of 27 Harvester. As an aside, the plot has the new moon on the 1st of Patchwall (see pp. 74, 88-89), when it should be on the 4th (Glossography, p. 19 or the original Dragon #68 article).

Pathwardens use a the capital letter "P" surrounded by wreaths as a motif.

Ranks listed for the Pathwardens in apparent order of precedence: Private, Corporal, Lance Corporal, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, and Major. Most of the ranks are listed on the Pathwarden's map (p. 83), the rank of captain is mentioned regarding Major Dedrermont's demotion (p. 90).

Having a lance corporal outrank a corporal is kinda weird. I'd suggest reversing the ranks, or substitute "Master Corporal", "Staff Corporal", "Corporal First Class", or "Senior Corporal" for "Lance Corporal".

The Pathwardens seem to be a little rank heavy, but that would fit what is supposed to be an elite organization. The 15 member organization is commanded by a major (an 8th level ranger) who has been in that rank for 8 years (p. 73), while one of the more senior privates, Gregory Evenhand (described as "young"), is a Rgr2. Evenhand may have just made 2nd level as a result of the previous two week's activities.

For most of the Duchy's army, a sergeant seems to be a squad leader, although it is possible that the sergeant killed by the harpy (p. 75, 85) was taking personal command or a single squad for that mission

The rank insignia for of Lieutenant is a single silver bar on the collar (just like the US military) (p. 79).

Greyhawk Adventures, p. 46, mentions that "the Duchy boasts the only ranger training school in the world..."; some of the graduates probably ended up in the Pathwardens. How many rangers did the school produce per year? The end of "Natural Selection" has (now-) Captain Dedermont trying to reconstitute the Pathwardens, presumably with a promoted Evenhand as the only other original member of the cadre.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:05 am  

I've been a little distracted, but it's time to finish Ratik. Let me know if you see any problems.

"Despite the chaotic tilt of Ratik’s population, most Ratikkans showed up for active-duty service (over 70% between 572-577) and the desertion rate for Ratik subjects was less than two percent per year during the same period. In part, this is because the threat from the Bone March is obvious, and in part because both the Suel and Oeridian strains of Ratik culture tie military service to manly worthiness (albeit in different ways). [1]"

Comment: I've added a reference from Cruel Summer Lord ([1] below).

"The Navy:

Plans to provide Ratik with active duty naval vessels has yet to bear fruit as of 586. However, all Ratik-flagged merchant vessels are liable for 56-days’ national service along with their officers and crew. This is most often for the transport of troops or supplies. One or more Marine squads might serve on the vessel for the duration of its service, particularly if the vessel’s mission is combat."

Comment: I assume that CSL meant 20 active vessels. IMC [currently 578], the Navy (such as it is) is mobilized on a system similar to the English Cinque Ports, as described above. Since my study covers 576-586 CY, this description allows for the establishment on a full-time navy sometime after 586.

Alternately, you could interpret CSL's description as meaning that a maximum of 20 or so vessels are mobilized at any particular time. This would imply a total merchant marine/fishing fleet of between 50-200 vessels. This high end is a lot for a nation of over 30,000 some adult humans, but not impossible. The low end is reasonable, particularly for a country that is highly sea-going.

Comment from Cruel Summer Lord?

"Levied Troops:

When not on active duty, subjects of Ratik are liable to the usual 56 days’ per year of feudal or provincial service. [3] Although some Ratikkans owe feudal service to a particular lord, the majority owe their service to one of the 11 freeholds, the 3 dwarven clans, or the 3 gnome settlements. Whether levied through the community or by feudal obligation, organization and equipment is supposed to mirror the active forces by law (they generally do). Since there are generally more priests and magic users than slots for them in a freehold’s cohort headquarters staff, they often end officially serve in a company but unofficially spend their time on other duties, e.g. recharging magic items.

Archbaron Lexnol strongly controlled and limited promotions in the levied forces, requiring the same active duty time-in-grade and time-in-service for NCOs, subalterns, and officers as on active duty, and limiting the overall number of promotions to those who have successfully performed in the prerequisite position (see “Ranks”). This often results in companies commanded by first lieutenants or corporals in company sergeant major slots). Nevertheless, many of these men, called up from civil life, are usually older, and often more experienced, than their active duty counterparts, with powers to match (particularly priests and arcanists)."

Comment: I assume that Ratik, also a former member of the Great Kingdom, has similar conscription laws.

REFERENCES:

[1] Cruel Summer Lord, “Living Greyhawk Gazetteer Addendum: The Aerdy East, Part 3”, Canonfire (posted 10 JUL 2004), see "Society and Culture". Accessed 27 SEP 2019: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=456

[2] Cruel Summer Lord, “Living Greyhawk Gazetteer Addendum: The Aerdy East, Part 3”, Canonfire (posted 10 JUL 2004), see “Military Structure”. Accessed 13 SEP 2019: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=456

For the Spring 584 CY, Carl Sargent describes Furyondy’s feudal service as the “traditional two months each year.”
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:53 am  

A deeper anaysis (with some edits) for Ratik's navy:

I assume that CSL meant 20 active vessels. In my campaign [currently 578], the Navy (such as it is) is mobilized on a system similar to the English Cinque Ports, as described above. Since my study covers 576-586 CY, this description allows for the establishment on a full-time navy sometime after 586.

Alternately, you could interpret CSL's description as meaning that a maximum of 20 or so vessels are mobilized at any particular time. This would imply a total merchant marine/fishing fleet of between 50-100 vessels. The high-end figure is a lot for a nation of over 30,000 some adult humans, but not impossible. The low end is reasonable, particularly for a country that is highly sea-going (see below).

Brian Lavery, Nelson’s Navy (Annapolis: Naval Institute Press; Reprint London: Conway Maritime Press, 1989), p. 26, 118, 269.

Comment: The “dominion” parts of the British Empire had over 10,000,000 people in 1792, 16,079 vessels, and 118,286 merchant mariners. If Ratik’s human population in 578 was 35,000, then Ratik could easily have more 50 merchant vessels.

Gary Gygax, A Guide to the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR Inc., 1983), pp. 18, 32.

Comment: Ratik’s estimated human population was 35,000 in 576 CY; Definition of “fighting males” on p. 18.

Gary Gygax, Glossography for the Guide to the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR Inc., 1983), p. 3.

Comment: Based on the calculation for those capable of bearing arms and those suitable for man-at-arms training, the definition for “total human population” seems to be for the total population, minus garrisons.

Carl Sargent, Atlas of the Flanaess: From the Ashes (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1992), described on Reference Card #2, definition on pp. 21-22.

Comment: Ratik’s estimated number of “relatively able bodied adults” was 36,000 in 585 CY; definition on pp. 21-22. This is a healthy increase over 576 CY, possibly a combination of natural increase, the acceptance of Bone March refugees (and from other places as well, perhaps) as permanent residents, minus relatively few losses during the Greyhawk Wars.

Gary Holian, Erik Mona, Sean K. Reynolds, and Frederick Weining, Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, (Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2000), 19, 89.

Comment: The human population of Ratik in mid-590 (109,415) seems to be for the “overall population” based on the definition on p. 19. This contradicts the usual D&D 3.5 format found in table 5-2, p. 137. Oh well.
    This is a notable increase over 585 CY, possibly including most of the remaining Bone March refugees.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:02 pm  

Wow-you definitely put a lot of thought into this. While I appreciate your using my work, please do not take it as a definite state on canon, which I regularly ignore when I come up with something I like better.

When I said that Ratik only had about 20 vessels, I meant that as saying Ratik's navy is second-rate compared to that of more maritime nations like the Sea Princes, the Sea Barons, the Ice Barbarians or the Lordship of the Isles. Any of those powers would eat Ratik's navy for breakfast. I said outright that it wouldn't stand a chance against a determined invasion by the Barbarians or the Barons.

I meant 20 active, full-time vessels who serve that function and only that function. I would assume that any merchant ships and crews pressed into service wouldn't have the prowess, organization or training to fight as an organized navy, unlike any of the major naval powers previously mentioned.

When I wrote the 'Military Structure' sections of the LGG Addendum articles, I wanted to not only illustrate which states were militarily powerful, but also which ones were militarily weak. Forces like post-Wars Furyondy, pre-Wars Nyrond, the Great Kingdom, and the Horned Empire are titans of strength that can stand against almost anything; forces like post-Wars Nyrond, post-Wars Tenh, pre-wars Furyondy, the Pomarj and the Ice Barbarians are well-trained and disciplined but suffer from chronic problems of either equipment or organization; forces like Greyhawk, Onnwal, the County of Ulek, Keoland and most of the Bandit Kingdoms are national disgraces and laughingstocks to their neighbors. I never felt official canon sources gave enough emphasis to military weaknesses and problems.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:54 am  

CruelSummerLord wrote:
    Wow-you definitely put a lot of thought into this...

-Yeah. You outta see my master's thesis. Laughing

CruelSummerLord wrote:
    ...While I appreciate your using my work, please do not take it as a definite state on canon, which I regularly ignore when I come up with something I like better...

-I know, but since you beat me to it, I try to avoid contradicting, since someone else may have used your ideas. For some reason, I get a kick out of the "shared consistent world" concept. I actually would like it if everyone used my ideas. Not likely, but so it goes. I can only give it my best shot.

Besides, part of the fun of creating this stuff (for me, anyway) is the challenge of squaring circles, resolving what appear to be mutually exclusive narratives.

Anyway, if others can point out anything I've gotten "wrong" or overlooked, I'll get a better result.

CruelSummerLord wrote:
    ...I meant 20 active, full-time vessels who serve that function and only that function. I would assume that any merchant ships and crews pressed into service wouldn't have the prowess, organization or training to fight as an organized navy, unlike any of the major naval powers previously mentioned...

-That would mostly come to play in squadron or fleet actions, of which the Flanaess sees few. There are a few mentioned for the 577-578 timeframe in the Dragon #55-66 articles, not much after (is there?). In a simple ship vs. ship action (or ship vs. monster), skippering and crew seamanship would be key, and called-up Ratikkans could probably hold their own (if not more), depending on the opponent. Besides, the Marine Company is there for stiffening.

CruelSummerLord wrote:
    ...Forces like post-Wars Furyondy, pre-Wars Nyrond, the Great Kingdom, and the Horned Empire are titans of strength that can stand against almost anything; forces like post-Wars Nyrond, post-Wars Tenh, pre-wars Furyondy, the Pomarj and the Ice Barbarians are well-trained and disciplined but suffer from chronic problems of either equipment or organization; forces like Greyhawk, Onnwal, the County of Ulek, Keoland and most of the Bandit Kingdoms are national disgraces and laughingstocks to their neighbors.

-To some extent, there's the old Dragon articles and Living Greyhawk's Nyrond Gazeteer 593 gave an update on Nyrond's navy. Other than that, there are the force cards from the Greyhawk Wars game. I figured each infantry or marine counter equaled 2,000 men, each cavalry figure equaled 1,000 men plus mounts, and each vessel counter equaled 1,000 sailors plus their warships and transports. This isn't TOTAL forces, just what can be shaken loose for operations. Ratik didn't have ship counters, so their naval forces would have to be minimal. That's not a comment on their COMPETENCE, simply their numbers.

I always assumed that the Great Kingdom's navies, with the exception of the Sea Barons, were numerous but incompetent (think Spain 1795-1808 or later), and their armies, with the exception of the guard, were a little second rate (see the Battle of Woodford in the first Gord book). And their leadership sucks. Heavily dependent on their spellcasters.

I never thought of the Pomarj or the Ice Barbarians (or any barabarians) as being particulalry well disciplined or well led.

Greyhawks troops and constabulary come off pretty well in the boxed set. Theyre just few in numbers.

What's with Keolandish troops being incompetent? They sometimes bite off more than they can chew, but that's not a comment on their military forces. Ask the Germans. Wink
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:44 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:

-To some extent, there's the old Dragon articles and Living Greyhawk's Nyrond Gazeteer 593 gave an update on Nyrond's navy. Other than that, there are the force cards from the Greyhawk Wars game. I figured each infantry or marine counter equaled 2,000 men, each cavalry figure equaled 1,000 men plus mounts, and each vessel counter equaled 1,000 sailors plus their warships and transports. This isn't TOTAL forces, just what can be shaken loose for operations. Ratik didn't have ship counters, so their naval forces would have to be minimal. That's not a comment on their COMPETENCE, simply their numbers.

I always assumed that the Great Kingdom's navies, with the exception of the Sea Barons, were numerous but incompetent (think Spain 1795-1808 or later), and their armies, with the exception of the guard, were a little second rate (see the Battle of Woodford in the first Gord book). And their leadership sucks. Heavily dependent on their spellcasters.

I never thought of the Pomarj or the Ice Barbarians (or any barabarians) as being particulalry well disciplined or well led.

Greyhawks troops and constabulary come off pretty well in the boxed set. Theyre just few in numbers.

What's with Keolandish troops being incompetent? They sometimes bite off more than they can chew, but that's not a comment on their military forces. Ask the Germans. Wink

What I meant was that the individual troops of the Pomarj and the Ice Barbarians both tend to be really good fighters...but organization is a real problem for them. That said, the Pomarj forces can act as one huge unit of shock troops, so sometimes it works for them. As for the Ice Barbarians, I see them as being so chaotic and independent-minded that getting them to cooperate as a functioning army is like herding cats. From what I recall of my university courses, that was one of the reasons the British and Celtic barbarians were defeated by the Romans, who were so much more efficiently organized as a military force.

I depict Greyhawk as a military lightweight, and Greyhawkers as generally being better politicians and rogues than fighters or knights, because I was looking for which Flanaess states would fill out the 'bottom tiers' of my own military ranking. I saw less description in the 1983 Gazetteer and LGG of their military forces than I did of the larger kingdoms or of Irongate, so I thought that their forces would naturally be weaker. Aside from Irongate, I don't consider free cities to have very good armies compared to larger countries.

Bissel had the opposite problem, in that its Border Companies were an impressive military force, but its internal decay and social rot were so bad that it was living on borrowed time long before the Greyhawk Wars. That's another story, though...

If you're wondering why I depict Keoland as the military whipping boy of the large Flanaess kingdoms, I'm just building on the LGG's description of all the wars Keoland's lost over the centuries. Keep in mind this is the country that lost a land war to the Sea Princes.

Once more. They. Lost. A Land War. TO. THE. SEA PRINCES.

The Sea Princes are second to none in naval power, but their land forces have historically been some of the weakest in the Flanaess. Those same land forces took Keoland-under the personal leadership of Tavish III, no less-out to the woodshed in 70 minutes.

That's why it's a running gag in my Canonfire writings. Even Weimar Glendowyr, who's a veteran of the Royal Keoish Army himself, jokes about it...but he's the only one allowed to make fun of it.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:35 am  

CruelSummerLord wrote:
    ...Keep in mind this is the country that lost a land war to the Sea Princes.

Once more. They. Lost. A Land War. TO. THE. SEA PRINCES....

-IIRC, that disaster at Westkeep was combination of swamp illnesses (the Sea Prince troops presumably were more likely to have acquired immunity) and the disastrous decision to assault a fortification. All this was at a time when Keoland's military was busy in a lot of other places. Other than the immunity thing, it sounds like blaming the soldiers for the mistakes of generals and politicians. Confused
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:53 am  

CONTINUE AND REVISIONS:

Monthly Pay:

Apprentice Craftsman: 1 gp. …

Private, Marine: 1½ gp. …

Private (Sailor): 1 gp. ...

There was no regular navy before 586; Pay for Private (Sailor) was for those levied for 56 days’ service...

Organization of Units (578 CY):

...Caravel Crew (21 men):
    12 Privates, 2 Lance Corporals, 2 Sr. Craftsmen, 2 Corporals, 1 Sergeant, 1 Subaltern, 1 Lieutenant.
    Banner: Ratik

Ratik does not have an active duty naval force as of 586 (the Marine Company suffices), but all vessels and crews are liable to 56 days’ service. Technically, each crew and vessel has their own unique complement, but the above is typical for a caravel. The official ranks use army terminology, but the lieutenant is the ship’s captain, the subaltern is the first mate, the sergeant is the boatswain, the corporals are usually (although this varies) the chief of the tops and the chief of the forecastle, the lance corporals the chiefs’ mates, and the craftsmen are usually the ship’s carpenter and the sailmaker. Marines typically handle any heavy weapons.

Knarr Crew (12 men):
    6 Privates, 1 Lance Corporal, 2 Craftsmen, 1 Corporal, 1 Subaltern, 1 Lieutenant.
    Banner: Ratik

Technically, each crew and vessel has their own unique complement, but the above is typical for a knarr. The lieutenant is the ship’s captain, the subaltern is the first mate, the corporal is the boatswain, the lance corporals are usually boatswain’s mates, and the craftsmen are usually the ship’s carpenter and the sailmaker.

Pinnace (9 men):
    4 Privates, 1 Lance Corporal, 1 Corporal, 1 Sergeant, 1 Subaltern.
    Guidon: Ratik.

Technically, each crew and vessel has their own unique complement, but the above is typical for a pinnace. The subaltern is the boat’s captain, the sergeant is the first mate, the corporal is the boatswain, and the lance corporal is usually the boatswain’s mate...

Local Full-Time Forces:

Most communities have some sort of full-time local force. When a freehold’s levy is called out, these troops typically provide some of the officer and NCO cadre. Examples include the City of Marner’s troops, with two platoons of gnomes stationed in The Bastion, one of Artillerists and one of Quartermasters (which includes a large number of illusionists). These report directly to the archbaron in his role as freeholder of Marner. Additionally, the Marner Guilds support one platoon of human spearmen and another of archers.[1] Other examples are Ratikhill’s “Hill Patrol”.[2]

Levied Troops:

When not on active duty, subjects of Ratik are liable to the usual 56 days’ per year of feudal or provincial service.[3] Although some Ratikkans owe feudal service to a particular lord, the majority owe their service to one of the 11 freeholds, the 3 dwarven clans, or the 3 gnome settlements, each of which is authorized one cohort headquarters. Whether levied through the community or by feudal obligation, organization and equipment is supposed to mirror the active forces by law (they generally do). Since there are generally more priests and magic users than slots for them in a freehold’s cohort headquarters staff, they often end officially serve in a company but unofficially spend their time on other duties, e.g. recharging magic items. Some are directly mobilized from the School of Wizardry in Ratikhill.[4]

Archbaron Lexnol strongly controlled and limited promotions in the levied forces, requiring the same active duty time-in-grade and time-in-service for NCOs, subalterns, and officers as on active duty, and limiting the overall number of promotions to those who have successfully performed in the prerequisite position (see “Ranks”). This often results in companies commanded by first lieutenants or corporals in company sergeant major slots). Nevertheless, many of these men, called up from civil life, are usually older, and often more experienced, than their active duty counterparts, with powers to match (particularly priests and arcanists).

Volunteer Borderer Reserves:

When a volunteer borderer’s enlistment ends, he transfers to the Volunteer Borderer Reserve.[5] By law, this duty (56 days’ per year) supersedes that normally owed to the freehold. The veteran usually serves with the veteran’s local reserve company or in the company in which he completed his active duty service, at the archbaron’s discretion.

Military Retirees:

As in the days of the Great Kingdom, regulars can retire with 25 years’ active service, receiving one-tenth pay per month. This retainer subjects them to an additional 56 days’ recall per year at the archbaron’s discretion.

The Navy:

Ratik has no active duty naval vessels as of 586, but Ratik-flagged merchant vessels (of which there are over 50 of various sizes) are liable for 56-days’ national service along with their officers and crew.[6] This is most often for the transport of troops or supplies. One or more Marine squads might serve on the vessel for the duration of its service, particularly if the vessel’s mission is combat.

Letters of Marque and Reprisal:

The archbaron sometimes issues letters of marque and reprisal to groups of adventurers.

Mercenary Units:

The archabron sometimes authorizes small mercenary units for brief periods of time, often for specific missions. The archbaron hires all members of the force as privates, troopers, or marines, with the pay and benefits as such, although special bonuses are always added by contract. The force is given an officer or subaltern as a supervisor, advisor, and (in some cases), translator. One example was the hiring of Queg’s Wavewyrm volunteers in 578.[7]

NOTES:

[1] Author Unknown (presumably the Ratik triad for the Living Greyhawk Campaign). Ratik Gazeteer 593., “The Capital City of Marner”.

I reduced the two gnomish “companies” to platoons. This could be explained as Ratikkan platoons being relatively large, or perhaps the city expanded them after 586.

[2] Author Unknown (presumably the Ratik triad for the Living Greyhawk Campaign). Ratik Gazeteer 593., “House Bresht”.

For the Spring 584 CY, Carl Sargent describes Furyondy’s feudal service as the “traditional two months each year.”

[4] Author Unknown (presumably the Ratik triad for the Living Greyhawk Campaign), Ratik Gazeteer 593, “Notable Persons”.

Sir Hengon Mogotten’s school and duties are mentioned under “notable Persons”.

[5] Gary Gygax, “Developments from Stonefist to South Province”, Dragon #57 (January 1982), p. 15.
    For 578, “the standing army of 2,250 foot and 500 horse was augmented by four companies
    of borderers (900 men) and the cadres for four more such units.”

[6] Cruel Summer Lord, “Living Greyhawk Gazetteer Addendum: The Aerdy East, Part 3”, Canonfire (posted 10 JUL 2004), see “Ratik: Military Structure”. Accessed 13 SEP 2019: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=456

I assume that CSL meant 20 active vessels. In my campaign [currently 578], the Navy (such as it is) is mobilized on a system similar to the English Cinque Ports, as described above. Since my study covers 576-586 CY, this description allows for the establishment on a full-time navy sometime after 586.

Alternately, you could interpret CSL's description as meaning that a maximum of 20 or so vessels are mobilized at any particular time. This would imply a total merchant marine/fishing fleet of between 50-100 vessels. The high-end figure is a lot for a nation of over 30,000 some adult humans, but not impossible. The low end is reasonable, particularly for a country that is highly sea-going (see below).

Brian Lavery, Nelson’s Navy (Annapolis: Naval Institute Press; Reprint London: Conway Maritime Press, 1989), p. 26, 118, 269.

The “dominion” parts of the British Empire had over 10,000,000 people in 1792, 16,079 vessels, and 118,286 merchant mariners. If Ratik’s human population in 578 was 35,000, then Ratik could easily have more 50 merchant vessels.

Gary Gygax, A Guide to the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR Inc., 1983), pp. 18, 32.

Ratik’s estimated human population was 35,000 in 576 CY; Definition of “fighting males” on p. 18.

Gary Gygax, Glossography for the Guide to the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Setting (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR Inc., 1983), p. 3.

Based on the calculation for those capable of bearing arms and those suitable for man-at-arms training, the definition for “total human population” seems to be for the total population, minus garrisons.

Carl Sargent, Atlas of the Flanaess: From the Ashes (Lake Geneva, WI: TSR, 1992), described on Reference Card #2, definition on pp. 21-22.

Ratik’s estimated number of “relatively able bodied adults” was 36,000 in 585 CY; definition on pp. 21-22. This is a healthy increase over 576 CY, possibly a combination of natural increase, the acceptance of Bone March refugees (and from other places as well, perhaps) as permanent residents, minus relatively few losses during the Greyhawk Wars.

Gary Holian, Erik Mona, Sean K. Reynolds, and Frederick Weining, Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, (Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2000), 19, 89.

The human population of Ratik in mid-590 (109,415) seems to be for the “overall population” based on the definition on p. 19. This contradicts the usual D&D 3.5 format found in table 5-2, p. 137. This is a notable increase over 585 CY, possibly including most of the remaining Bone March refugees.

[7] Gary Gygax, “Developments from Stonefist to South Province”, Dragon #57 (January 1982), p. 15.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:13 am  

RATIK CONTINUED, AND REVISIONS:

...The Gray Riders of Ratik:

The Gray Riders are a small number of highly skilled and experienced riders who relay classified military and political messages within Ratik and to neighboring countries. In some cases, riders have magical or flying mounts. There are full-time stations in Marner and Ratikhill.[1]...

...Post-586

The need to dip deeper into a small manpower pool (and perhaps the demise of Archbaron Lexnol) apparently resulted in a drop in the level of training and experience among male Ratikkans during the late 580s.[2] Future plans for an active duty navy (with as many as 20 or more vessels) would probably include an expansion of the Marine Company from three squads per platoon to as many as six, and would require a heavy reliance on foreigners (as with the Infantry Companies) for both marines and sailors.[3]...

ENDNOTES:

[1] Matt Lau, The Whispering Tide RTK 3-06 Living Greyhawk Ratik Regional Adventure, 4, 7-8.

Described in The Whispering Tide. The service must be fairly numerous and established enough to be well known; Anyone can recognize a rider with either a “Knowledge (Local)” or “Knowledge (Heraldry) DC check of 5.

Author Unknown (presumably the Nyrond triad for the Living Greyhawk Campaign), Nyrond Gazeteer 593, “Royal Mail Service”.

I considered the possibility that the Gray Riders were one of Lexnol’s recent innovations, but Nyrond had a Royal Mail Service that pre-dated the Greyhawk Wars. I assume that the concept dates back to the Great Kingdom’s heyday, although I couldn’t find anything about it in Ivid the Undying. At the very least, I assume that the Gray Riders existed in some form before 563.

[2] Matt Lau, Reflections RTK 0-01 Living Greyhawk Ratik Regional Adventure, pp. 2-3.

The population of Grassflats ca. 591 seems to have more 1st level commoners than one would expect in a nation that has had about 20 years of universal military service.

Matt Lau, Enemy Lines RTK 2[m]-05 Living Greyhawk Ratik Regional Adventure, p. 3.

By 592, part of an infantry squad in Kalmar Pass is made up entirely of 1st level Warriors; It is possible that their adult supervision was temporarily missing, but it is odd that none of the Warrior class soldiers had managed to become 1st level Fighters. An alternative explanation is that they may have been part of a hired mercenary band rather than Ratikkan soldiers, or young levies who had not yet served on active duty.

[3] Gary Holian, Erik Mona, Sean K. Reynolds, and Frederick Weining, Living Greyhawk Gazetteer, (Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast, 2000), 19, 89.

The human population of Ratik in mid-590 (109,415) seems to be for the “overall population” based on the definition on p. 19. This contradicts the usual D&D 3.5 format found in table 5-2, p. 137. This is a notable increase over 585 CY, possibly including most of the remaining Bone March refugees.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:18 am  

CruelSummerLord wrote:
    ...If you're wondering why I depict Keoland as the military whipping boy of the large Flanaess kingdoms, I'm just building on the LGG's description of all the wars Keoland's lost over the centuries. Keep in mind this is the country that lost a land war to the Sea Princes.

Once more. They. Lost. A Land War. TO. THE. SEA PRINCES.

The Sea Princes are second to none in naval power, but their land forces have historically been some of the weakest in the Flanaess. Those same land forces took Keoland-under the personal leadership of Tavish III, no less-out to the woodshed in 70 minutes.

That's why it's a running gag in my Canonfire writings. Even Weimar Glendowyr, who's a veteran of the Royal Keoish Army himself, jokes about it...but he's the only one allowed to make fun of it.

-The Siege of Westkeep could also be considered an isolated incident. Wink

In the 570s, Keolandish commanders seem to have been respected, at least as tacticians:

"Nyrond above all else has a flexible field army and fleet... it has grown under the leadership of some of the best tacticians this side of Keoland." (Kuntz, "Sorcerer's Scroll", Dragon Magazine #65: pp. 11-12; p. 12).

Maybe they're like the Germans: Good soldiers, great tactical and operational commanders, awful strategists, logisticians, and diplomats. Wink All of that would explain the Siege of Westkeep.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: