Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Adjectival Form of Flanaess?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Adjectival Form of Flanaess?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:14 am  
    Adjectival Form of Flanaess?

Sorry, guys. Been away from Greyhawk for a loooongg time. Is the adjectival form of Flanaess Flanaessi? Thx.
    GreySage

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:25 am  

I've seen Flanaessi used in fan works, but not to my knowledge in official ones. I think the reason why is that the Flanaess isn't ethnically, politically, religiously, or culturally unified enough for anyone to think of anything as Flanaessi. There's no pan-Flanaess movement in the way there are pan-European movements, and no historical moment when the Flanaess was ever unified in the past to look back on. Even geographically, the Flanaess is only the eastern portion of Oerik, not a continent in itself. So nothing is Flanaessi because the term doesn't refer to anything. Or if it means anything it means "not Baklunish" and even that doesn't really work because the Wolf and Tiger nomads are more Baklunish than anything, so you're left with just "east of the Crystalmists" and the adjective "eastern" probably suffices for that.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:44 am  

Ahh, Old Rasgon. I remember thee well. My thanks for your speedy and thorough reply.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:18 am  
    Adjectival form of Flanaess

Hmmm ... well, I think that I would have to agree with Rasgon, here.
    I was just trying to construct a sentence where a word like that would even be used, and I can't really think of one where there wouldn't be a better way to put it.
    I mean, I guess one might say something like , "This man is of Northern European descent" ... but, there's a dozen better ways to say that. Quite frankly, if forced into a situation in which I had to use a phrase like that for the Flanaess, I think that I would just say "of Northern Flanaess descent" (without a change in the word). But, that refers to geography, and not actually racial ancestry. If referring to race, I would never use Flanaess, and rather use Flan, Rhennee, Olman, Touv, or whatever. Some of those forms don't change, either. ... he is Touv (noun). It is a Touv carpet (adjective) ... she is Olman. There's an Olman custom ... a Dwur cottage ... a Hobniz hairstyle ... etc.

Other than that, I can't really think of anything that would make me use an adjectival form of Flanaess.
    I would just say things like:
      " ... a river in the Flanaess" instead of "Flanaessi river"
      or " ... predominantly feudal social structure throughout the Flanaess" in lieu of "Flanaessi social structure"
      or " ... trade routes across the Flanaess" rather than "Flanaessi trade routes"
    I guess what I'm saying is that there's almost always a different or better way to phrase it, rather than using an awkward word.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    GreySage

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:43 pm  

"Of the Flanaess" seems the most common construction. Greyhawk is the Gem of the Flanaess, not the Flanaessi Gem.

That said, if someone wants to call it the Flanaessi Gem, I'm not going to tell them they're wrong.

Related: I've seen people use "Oerthian" as the adjectival form of Oerth (including John Rateliff recently), though I prefer "Oerthly" because in real life earthly is a word and Earthian isn't.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:01 pm  

Or one can opt for no suffix: man of Earth- Earth man, not Earthian man; man of Oerth - Oerth man, not Oerthian man. "That's an Oerth coin, not a Forgotten Realms coin." Don't need to say "Forgotten Realmsian coin" or "Dragonlancian coin" or "Dark Sunian coin" or "Raveloftian coin", etc., any more than one needs to say "United Statesian coin." One can just say "Flanaess native" instead of "Flanasessian native", or "Flanaessi native", and so on.

Scholars will debate, at least until a Stonefistian barbarian punches them all in the nose and tells them to stop making his head hurt. Laughing

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:04 am  

rasgon wrote:
    I've seen Flanaessi used in fan works, but not to my knowledge in official ones. I think the reason why is that the Flanaess isn't ethnically, politically, religiously, or culturally unified enough for anyone to think of anything as Flanaessi...

-People from outside the Flanaess might see certain traits in common, at least enough to differentiate from their own.
    GreySage

Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:54 am  

For what it's worth, though, "Flanaess" is the adjectival form of Flanaess in official works. For example, "unlike any native Flanaess race" in "The Beckoner of the Dark" adventure card in From the Ashes.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: