JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Let the River Campaign Begin! Chapter 1
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Let the River Campaign Begin! Chapter 1
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:13 am  
    Let the River Campaign Begin! Chapter 1

The hardest (and most frustrating) part of any journey is the planning. And so it is with the new party of adventurers planning to journey down the Fler and Velverdyva Rivers to the Gem of the Flanaess – Greyhawk.

Chapter 1 of The Great Flanaess River Adventure begins in Blackmoor in the Village of Arneson located at the headwaters of the Fler River. The party needs provisions, the means for securing future provisions, and canoes. A number of opportunities arise for the party to secure all they need before departing. From hunting the winter wolf, to entering the Burneal Forest to obtain wood for dugout canoes, to watching the antics of the snow monkeys--the adventure and campaign of a life time begins.

Download the first of a new 15 chapter campaign here:

http://pages.suddenlink.net/therivercampaign/

Did we mention Chapter 1 has snow monkeys?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:36 am  

I quite enjoyed this. Just one comment: the Bard's House (no. 10) isn't shown on the map. But there are two Chicken Coops (No. 11). I take it the northern no. 11 should really be no. 10.
    Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:04 am  

Great start!

I am loving this on many levels. One it's old school, from the font to the format and maps. Two I love the encounter chart. I know from experience it takes some thought to construct those. Three, you include all the best elements you'd expect in that part of Blackmoor/Land of Black Ice. Four, you used the Burneal Forest! I love that huge wood, but who can name a canon source that exploits it? None I can think of! Five, your series theme of a canoe trip down the Fler and beyond is so unique to D&D yet old in a literary sense. I plan to follow this journey closely!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:53 pm  

Raphael wrote:
    I quite enjoyed this. Just one comment: the Bard's House (no. 10) isn't shown on the map. But there are two Chicken Coops (No. 11). I take it the northern no. 11 should really be no. 10.

We are glad you are enjoying it.

Thanks for catching the mistake on the map. It looks like we really messed up with the Druid.

You are correct, the northern most #11 should really be #10.

One other thing that was pointed out to us was that the Charisma of the Druid was too low - it should be a 15.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:16 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    Great start!

I am loving this on many levels. One it's old school, from the font to the format and maps. Two I love the encounter chart. I know from experience it takes some thought to construct those. Three, you include all the best elements you'd expect in that part of Blackmoor/Land of Black Ice. Four, you used the Burneal Forest! I love that huge wood, but who can name a canon source that exploits it? None I can think of! Five, your series theme of a canoe trip down the Fler and beyond is so unique to D&D yet old in a literary sense. I plan to follow this journey closely!

Wow! High praise. We really appreciate it.

That was definitely rule #1, to only look at the early 1E AD&D modules to figure out how we wanted to present The Great Flanaess River Adventure.

For the encounter tables, we drew heavily from the early Gygax sources and tried not to deviate too much, only enough to compliment the adventure.

We really like the fact we were starting in Dave Arneson's Blackmoor, hence the homage to him by labeling the village at the headwaters Arneson Village. Maybe a bit trite, but we truly wanted to honor Gygax and Arneson for what has become part of our life.

We never realized that nothing in the canon was ever set in the Burneal Forest. That is interesting. We followed a lot of themes about the Burneal from the early resources, such as the Glossography by Gygax which noted teh Quaggoth lived there. When we read that, we knew we were going to have fun with them. They make an appearance in Chapter 1, but more so in Chapter 2 which will come out this Friday. And we draw heavily on the Greyhawk Adventures discussion of Sormod. The tale is mentioned as myth in Chapter 1, but plays an important role in Chapter 2.

It is amazing that the canoe trip has never been done in D&D. We have seen a few games that have employed a canoe and traveling on waterways, but none that centered the entire adventure on reaching a destination by canoe. We were fortunate to have gone on a trip to the Boundary Waters up in Minnesota on the border with Canada where we were out for a week moving from one lake to the next. That ended up becoming the basis for our idea and then Henry David Thoreau's "Canoeing in the Wilderness" becoming a guidepost for what we could do with it. We should also mention, another fabulous book that helped us focus on the canoe aspects of the adventure was "Canoeing with the Cree" - a 1930s story about two teenagers who canoed 2,250 miles. A great story.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: