ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Knights of the Hart: Veluna
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Knights of the Hart: Veluna
    GreySage

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:09 am  
    Knights of the Hart: Veluna

Greetings All.

I have a player whose Heironean paladin lives in Veluna. He has really been through the proverbial ringer and is beginning to make a name for himself in certain religious, government, and military circles for his many accomplishments. As a result, I am considering him being offered a position to join the hallowed Order of the Knights of Veluna.

I have read as much as I can on the Knights of the Hart from all my sources, including the following: the original Greyhawk boxed set, From the Ashes, the Marklands, the Player's Guide (soft cover booklet), and The Living Greyhawk Gazeteer, to name a few off hand. As always, though, I have many questions still unanswered, so I am asking for input from you all.

My understanding is that the Knights of the Hart do NOT owe fealty to any one particular house or noble family, but are rather a separate organization unto themselves. They are the forefront defenders of their respective nations (Veluna, Furyondy, and Highvale). I DO imagine, however, that they have to report to their respective governments, as it were, or at least attempt to curry favor and maintain 'subservient' relations to them.

1) How are new members inducted? What is the process (I imagine a voting system after the person's accolades are mentioned, perhaps followed by discussion)?

2) As there is no centralized authority (no "Knight Commander"), how do these knights operate as a group?

3) Do they meet often to discuss matters important to the Order? How often, and where?

4) What is the hierarchy structure among the knights themselves? Are they all equals? Or is there a stratification among them, such as Junior Knights, Senior Knights, and Lord/Lady Knights (I imagine so)? I recall reading in one source guide that knights must report to a 'superior' after all.

If any more questions arise (surely they will), expect more queries. Thanks to all who post!

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:01 pm  

There's some articles on the Knights of the Hart on WotC's website:

Knights of the Hart
    Knights of Furyondy
    Knights of the High Forest
    Knights of Veluna

As you can see, the Knights of Veluna answer to the authority of Canon Hazen.

There's also the Castles boxed set, which had a booklet about Castle Hart, a fortress of the Knights of Furyondy and a central meeting place for the Knights of the Hart as a whole. The lord of Castle Hart, Count Gladwell Solan, is High Commander of the Knights of Furyondy.
    GreySage

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:12 am  

Thank you very much, good Rasgon, but much of that information is very similar to what I have already gleaned from the aforementioned sources.

What are your thoughts, and answers, to my queries? I am accustomed to your insightful responses.

Anyone else?

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:31 pm  
    Re: Knights of the Hart: Veluna

Lanthorn wrote:
    1) How are new members inducted? What is the process (I imagine a voting system after the person's accolades are mentioned, perhaps followed by discussion)?

You could make the process democratic, but it also seems reasonable to let Canon Hazen decide who gets to become a Knight of Veluna (if they meet the prerequisites). He might delegate the responsibility to someone else, though, like Jolene.

Quote:
    2) As there is no centralized authority (no "Knight Commander"), how do these knights operate as a group?

As above, the Knights of Veluna seem to follow the orders of Canon Hazen. They're on good terms with the other branches of the Order of the Hart, but sometimes disagree on priorities.

Quote:
    3) Do they meet often to discuss matters important to the Order? How often, and where?

I imagine Canon Hazen can call them to Mitrik when necessary. When they wish to meet with the other branches of the Order of the Hart to coordinate strategy they do so in Castle Hart, or elsewhere.

Quote:
    4) What is the hierarchy structure among the knights themselves? Are they all equals? Or is there a stratification among them, such as Junior Knights, Senior Knights, and Lord/Lady Knights (I imagine so)? I recall reading in one source guide that knights must report to a 'superior' after all.

Each of the knights of Veluna commands "many sergeants and warriors," so they're all commanding officers in their own right. There are only 120 of them. They may not have official titles distinguishing their relative seniority, but in a practical sense those with special skills will be recognized accordingly. One that's proven particularly good at strategy and tactics might be put in charge of military planning by Hazen, for example, and might in turn confer with others who he trusts.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed May 03, 2017 2:49 am  

The knights, being nobles of varying ranks, likely command their own household troops made up of the warriors that can supported from the resources of the knight's own lands. I see Veluna and Furyondy following a very feudal model in this regard, with Veluna having more of a religious bent to things (knight-bishops, etc.).

Lanthorn wrote:

See my article (link below). As to those who do not squire, a candidate must be put forth by a current knight and be approved by three other high ranking knights.

No centralized authority doesn't mean no authority of course. I assume the most well regarded knights normally set the course of action for each order, excepting the Velunese who operate under Canon Hazen and other religious leaders just below him.

Quarterly seems reasonable; less or more often as required due to need/availability. Remember that these are still ranking nobles in their lands, so they probably need to meet with other notable folks often enough too. It is not always all about clobbering bad guys, and so there are some administrative requirements needed to be seen to (skilled seneschals are no doubt highly valued).

Hierarchical structure likely differs among the orders, but there are senior individuals among the orders. I would say seniority is heavily based on meritorious achievements, coupled with actual church/noble rank, experience, ability, and age.

My own (incomplete) take on things:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=819&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Sat May 06, 2017 3:16 pm  

Very helpful information for me to consider. Thank you for your input. Many of the ideas you proposed seem very reasonable.

Should I have any more inquiries or things that I would like others upon which to comment, you know that I will post!

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu May 11, 2017 9:53 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    ...http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=819&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

-Just in case Lanthorn is out of tune with D&D3, a prestige class is something that a character may join after making 5th or higher level, sort of the way Thief-Acrobat or the Bard class worked back in the day. Wink
    GreySage

Sat May 13, 2017 10:07 am  

My skill rating in post-2nd edition Knowledge is lacking, indeed, but not totally vacant. Wink

Much thanks again. If anyone else has something to add regarding this Order of Knights, I always welcome ideas and suggestions, regardless of edition. Most of the information I seek is more about the structure, organization, hierarchy, and logistics of these exalted defenders.

-Lanthorn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: