Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk 5e campaign advice?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition
    Greyhawk 5e campaign advice?
    Novice

Mon May 29, 2017 2:17 pm  
    Greyhawk 5e campaign advice?

Hey, we are going to start a new 5e campaign for our home group, and would like to use Greyhawk as our setting. We play lots of Adventure League Forgotten Realms and just finished the long Ravenloft Curse of Strahd campaign so Greyhawk sounds like a perfect change of pace. A more gritty, sword & sorcery flavored version of D&D (a bit more old school vibe) for our next campaign. This time we are planning on using mostly off the shelf modules and playing it a bit like an episodic series, where I'll DM a couple modules, and the I'll hand off DM'ing to another member for a couple and then rotate around.

First off I was planning on using Tales of the Yawning Portal's Sunless Citadel and then go into The Forge of Fury using the in-book location advice. I'll need to come up with some way to link them up a bit and maybe have a wilderness/travel adventure in between the two modules. I'll jump back in as DM for Against the Giants for sure as well.

The biggest thing we are trying to figure out is which source book to use/what timeline. My understanding is we should probably go for either the original box set, or the 2000 Gazetteer. I played Greyhawk as a kid a lot, but for several members this will be their first Greyhawk setting and I don't want to overwhelm them with lore. I figure we'll have the characters start out not all that worldly, and more locally based for their backstories, so the PCs can learn the world as their characters do.

Should we go for the "latest" or "original" for the timeline? Any other Greyhawk 5e advice? thanks!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon May 29, 2017 7:07 pm  

I recommend the original box set and its timeline, its the easiest to introduce players into the setting and also better for customizing the campaign for your needs. Simply put, its still the best campaign setting, period. While I very much liked From the Ashes as well, its pretty political-heavy for newcomers to GH, there's too much info to digest if you're not already familiar with GH.

Go with the original.
    Novice

Tue May 30, 2017 8:36 am  

Yeah I think you are correct. I will probably use the 83 set and reference the later sets as needed to see if I need more info.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed May 31, 2017 5:30 pm  

Maybe its my personal bias, but i prefer 591 CY from the Gazzeter and "The Adventure Begins!"
    Adept Greytalker

Wed May 31, 2017 8:45 pm  

Astrocat,

I am starting my Hardby campaign in 576CY with the original folio and box set. I can cherry pick the history I want from later sources and not be beholden to it.

5e Races:

Restricted:
    * Drow (I may or may not allow them as a playable race, depends on the direction of the campaign).
    * Dragonborn (I have a meta plot that will bring them to Oerth involving the Bright Desert, pre-Rary, and Tiamat's involvement in the creation of it).
    * Tieflings (I may or may not allow them as a playable race. Plans for them in the Horned Society that the players will not be party to initially. Asmodeus takes the place of Nerull there)

Any race from sources outside of the Players handbook will be considered on a case by case basis.

Classes are pretty wide open.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 5th Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: