JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Canonfire! File Restoration
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback
    Canonfire! File Restoration
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:09 am  
    Canonfire! File Restoration

I have begun updating broken links in the Downloads section.

The Canonfire! Chronicles section and The Oerth Journal section should be fully armed and operational. Let me know if a link isn't working for you by mentioning it here and/or by using the "Report Broken Link" option just under the link that isn't working for you.

A few other files have been updated. Only 125+ to go, but who's counting...

P.S.: The Articles section will be updated once the Downloads section is done.

Last edited by Cebrion on Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:12 am  

Cool news Cebrion! Thanks!

If you check the Oerth journal seccion in "Features" in the left side of the webpage, the links lead to a japanese webpage.

Just began to read Crypt of Lyzandred the Mad, and my head already hurts!

Cronicas de Wandemere - My current Greyhawk campaign (in spanish)
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:15 pm  

Thanks, but I am not updating general website links (Gary/PSmedger handles those), just the resource links. That means links to the resources in the Downloads and Articles sections. Please restrict comments to links in only those sections, but please check them to confirm that they work! Happy

Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:42 pm  

The Canonfire! Chronicles section and The Oerth Journal section links seem to be working perfectly.

Just began to read Crypt of Lyzandred the Mad, and my head already hurts!

Cronicas de Wandemere - My current Greyhawk campaign (in spanish)
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:02 pm  

Yay! Happy

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:28 am  

The links to the files in the following Downloads sections have been updated:

Best of AOL
    Greyhawk Fanzines
    Illustrations
    Monsters & Races
    Miscellaneous

Be sure to let me know if any link in these (or previously mentioned) sections doesn't function.

Only 77 more to go...in the Downloads section. Then it is on the the Articles section, which only has 45 broken links.

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:41 am  

The "Adventures," "Software," and "Maps" sections of Downloads should now be updated. Hopefully I will have time to finish off the Downloads section this weekend.

Only 30 to go...

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:23 am  

Finished the Downloads section HERE.

If any link in the Downloads section does not work, let me know here, PM me, and/or report the link as broken on the link page.

Now, on to the Articles section...

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:14 pm  

Started in on the Articles section. This one is a bit more tricky, as each Article must be looked at to see if it contains any links that go to the Canonfire! Dropbox account and then update them. I can do nothing about any off-site links which may be defunct.

Anyways, I have gone through the first two Article sections:

Adventures & Modules

Arcana of Oerth

I have updated everything in those sections we have Dropbox files for. If you note a link that is still inactive, and you actually have a fiel for it, please PM me.

More to come...

Last edited by Cebrion on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
    CF Admin

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:27 pm  

Thanks Brian!

Allan.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:27 pm  

My article, "Postfest XV: Sanctigaard and the Demesne of Sir Xaris ab Yustin," is missing its map.

If you need me to send it to you again, I think I can find it and do so.

SirXaris

Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:25 am  

I don't recall the name, so it would be best to send it to me me...along with a link to the article it goes in...because it makes things easy. Laughing

And I need to dig back into things anyways.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:58 pm  

A while back I remember there was a thread that you could report corrupted posts, comments, etc..
    Now these are not "broken links", (the link goes where search intends) but some of the comments are obviously not referencing the topic.
    (Unless magical sunglasses were needed at the Battle of Emridy Meadows) Laughing

So just to pass along,
    http://www.canonfire.com/cfnew/modules.php?name=News&file=article&thold=-1&mode=flat&order=0&sid=911

If there is a place you would prefer, let me (and others know) as we discover these erroneous gremlins in the site.

DLG
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:54 pm  

You may not be aware of the reason I am having to do this again, so I'll explain, as I didn't explain it in the first post...

Yes, there previously was a thread like this started back in 2010 when I was hunting down any broken links I might not know about. The previous thread was about finding any links that may not have worked pre-"Hi! We're Dropbox, and we'd like to tell you that we are about to rename all of your files, which maaay just #$%! up every single link to every file you are currently hosting on Dropbox (which is likely most of them)! You're welcome!" event, which happened earlier this year. This thread is about *current* links, as *all* of the Articles and Downloads links have been so graciously altered by Dropbox, and ALL of them were therefore broken.

As stated, I am having to update *every* link, period, because I have to. I 100% know that nearly every link got screwed over by Dropbox (a few still intact, still hosted off-site links were unaffected, but there are not many of them). I am just asking everyone to check the links in the sections *that I have posted as having gone through* to be sure the links therein are functioning, and to mention any links that are not.

Not all linked files for Articles and Downloads are being served from the Dropbox account, and some of these off-site files are now defunct. I can only restore active links to files I have in the Dropbox account, but not any links to defunct off-site files. When I have restored an Articles or Downloads section, I am done with that section (at least as much as I can be), and then I post here that it is so. There may still be links that are dead though, so I ask that everyone tell me about them if they notice any, as they are not my immediate concern (though I want everything to be as complete as possible). If there is a link supported off-site in a section I have posted as having been updated and it doesn't work, TELL ME, and I will reach out to see if I can get a copy of it to host, or at least an updated off-site link to it.

As to the link you posted, it actually goes to an Article, and I checked to see if the article has any hidden map image link text in it -which it does not - so what is the problem?

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=911&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:35 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Anyways, I have gone through the first two Article sections, those being Adventures & Modules and Arcana of Oerth, and have updated everything we have files for. More to come...

I found one with a dropbox map link, Brian: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&thold=-1&mode=flat&order=0&sid=995

Allan.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:40 am  

I haven't gotten to the Articles section Cartography & Geography yet, so the links there will mostly be down. I'll see about digging into the files more this week, and when I finish sections I will let everyone know.

Also, anybody should feel free to back up any and all files, just in case something drastic occurs. To anybody who chooses to do this, I ask that you please store the files in a folder system that is the same as the corresponding Canonfire! section. Example:

Main Folder:

Downloads

Sub-folders:

- Adventures

- Best of AOL

- Canonfire! Chronicles

etc.

If organized this way, everything will be able to be found very easily should I ever need to do this again. It will also serve to let you know at a glance exactly what files you have of those on the site.

Also, I know we have lost some files over the years, mainly due to off-site links that have gone dead. If anyone has some of these files, please submit them and I'll get them back up and running.

Thanks! Cool

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:55 am  

Sorry with the slow response big C.. with gencon and hurricanes at home in texas and work in florida, been a bit distracted hehe....
    The tagged link I sent was small potatoes compared to the battle your waging.
    The erroneous junk just appears in the comments portion of the link, a spam looks to be the culprit was dumping stuff in... thought you might want to know. I wasn't sure if its old or if something else had snuck in and was messing up your efforts to clean things up.
    Happy to hep in any small was if I can..

I have several Terabytes of free space I can store stuff for you. Was there anywhere particular you want to start? hate to duplicate efforts... let me know...
    DLG
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:36 am  

If you want to back up the files go ahead and start with the the entire Downloads section, as it is as restored as it can be from my end at this time.

As to the spam in the comment sections of various articles, it is old spam and would mostly be gone by now but for the fact that I do not have admin access to delete article comments, and so they remain (there are certain things I wish I had access to, but I don't). It would be best for folks to PM both Gary and myself regarding any site issues. If it is something I can take care of, I will, and if I can't then Gary certainly will be able to do so.

Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:53 am  

It has been a while since I updated this thread.

I recently got the wild hare to dive back into the updates, namely the Articles section, which is what remains to tackle. As of now, the Cartography & Geography sub-section (nobody likes maps, right? Laughing) is underway, and the previously listed sub-sections are as updated as they can be.

In reviewing the dropbox files for the Cartography & Geography sub-section, I notice that there are only about a dozen map files present there, whereas there are about 50 map articles that need to be updated. Yikes! That's a lot of missing files! While I no doubt have downloaded and saved many of these missing map files myself, and so have access to them, I may be calling on you folks to help out with any missing files I may not happen to have. I will post a list of what files remain outstanding when my hunting and foraging efforts are complete for this sub-section, as it is so high in demand.

Last edited by Cebrion on Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
    CF Admin

Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:59 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    In reviewing the dropbox files for the Cartography & Geography sub-section, I notice that there are only about a dozen map files present there, whereas there are about 50 map articles that need to be updated. Yikes! That's a lot of missing files!

Yikes indeed :(

Cebrion wrote:
    While I no doubt have downloaded and saved many of these missing map files myself, and so have access to them, I may be calling on you folks to help out with any missing files I may not happen to have. I will post a list of what files remain outstanding when my hunting and foraging efforts are complete for this sub-section, as it is so high in demand.

Makes sense. While we're talking about missing map files, if anyone happens to have saved copies of the Dragonsfoot user Gnarley Bones's maps of Erelhei Cinlu, folks were asking for them on Facebook recently: https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53204

Allan.

Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:04 pm  

Happy to help where ever I can... not saying I would have nearly as much as you learned folk.. but have collected some articles and maps along the way that might fit a need.....

I'll tap Anna as well since she did utilize alot of these in the revision of the Darlene Map... she will be at Gencon in the beginning of August.. so can consolidate a list ....

GM the DM
    aka
    DLG
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

You can post new topics in this forum
    You can reply to topics in this forum
    You can edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Canonfire! is a production of the Thursday Group in assocation with GREYtalk and Canonfire! Enterprises

Contact the Webmaster.  Long Live Spidasa!

Greyhawk Gothic Font by Darlene Pekul is used under the Creative Commons License.

PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
    Page Generation: 0.33 Seconds