JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Time Zones: Sterich and Khemit/Erypt
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Time Zones: Sterich and Khemit/Erypt
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:08 am  
    Time Zones: Sterich and Khemit/Erypt

My new campaign has had characters going back and forth from the Crystalmists (southwest Sterich) to Khemit/Erypt on the other side of Oerth.

Only just now has it occurred to me that day and night should not line up at all, and in fact there should be a daylight/nighttime difference.

Does anyone with a better grasp of the size of the planet and the fantastical astronomy have a recommendation on how many hours difference there would be between sunrises?
    Master Greytalker

Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:04 pm  

I don’t know exactly where Erypt is in relation to Sterich, but according to the Glossography, every degree of longitude (~70 miles) changes the time of sunrise and sunset by four minutes (assuming the same latitude).
    GreySage

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:52 pm  

Comparing this map of Earth's time zones to this map comparing Oerth's continents to Earth's leads me to believe there's a difference of seven or eight hours between Erypt and Sterich. Erypt looks like it corresponds roughly to the +1 to +2 zones of northern Africa and the Flanaess seems to correspond roughly with the +9 zone of Siberia. Though the equator is in a very different place than Oerth's.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:17 am  

Seven hours difference was my guess! so Rasgon's 7-8 hours sounds really good to me. Thanks, guys.

Am I correct that Erypt and Sterich both being in the Northern hemisphere means the same season (in this case spring) will happen in both at the same time?

Though I'm betting there's not all that much seasonal variation in Erypt/Khemit (correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, I don't think I ever noticed how much of Oerth's landmass is north of the equator before.
    GreySage

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:28 pm  

The equator placement on that map is inaccurate. Oerth's equator cuts through Hepmonaland, as shown on this map by Anna. Erypt is in the southern hemisphere.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: